Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,641 members, 7,861,968 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 02:47 AM

Vote For Your Most Reasonable Sentiment. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vote For Your Most Reasonable Sentiment. (400 Views)

The Explosion Of Anti-igbo Sentiment Among Yorubas / Soyinka; Biased And Romance With APC, He Judges With Sentiment Towards Janathan / Yerima Blackmailed Senators With Religious Sentiment, Says David Mark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Vote For Your Most Reasonable Sentiment. by emmatador(m): 5:57pm On Dec 18, 2014
The times we are in are times where we must all realize that we have a part to play in deciding the future of Nigeria. This nation approaches a new era- an era of fresh presidential and gubernitorial elections and I, for one, don't feel so good about it. First, we are in an era where great and glorious promises are being peddled by politicians and their helpers, casting a most desirable picture of Nigeria's future, stirring our emotions as to see what ought to be as against what ought not to be, and showing us in alluring pragmatism how they would take us to that glorious "neverland". Neverland because time and themselves have proven that all they make are just promises, and at the risk of sounding negative, is impossible to achieve as long as they are attracted by the sound of our collective coins in the Nigerian pouch. Second, is that in all truth in Nigeria and as Nigerians, we have nothing but our whims and sentiments to guide us. What guides us if not sentiments based on religion, tribalism, sex and age? This nation itself is
founded on sentiments, upon which the principle of federal character or "religious" character- if I am to say and as the case may be- is recognized. Everywhere, still, we hear people say don't vote based on sentiment, and some say, "We know our politicians are all bad, but exercise your right to vote and vote for the least bad amongst them." This is one hell of a sentiment held by those who say don't vote based on sentiment. We Nigerians have much more to think about than to begin to research the gravity of badness of a man. Even if it should be done, it is the job of our very own "corrupt" media, who I think determines whether you like a candidate or not, to the highest extent. To clear the air as to some objections that may be raised, the English Mini dictionary on my nokia E71 phone defines sentiment as "1. an opinion or feeling 2. sentimentality" . It defines "sentimental" from which the noun "sentimentality " is derived as "showing or having excessive feelings of tenderness, sadness, or nostalgia." This further proves that, the affairs of this nation from the begining till now have been governed on sentiments, and this saddens me, not based on the concept of sentiment itself, but that no law or rule have been established to govern in this regard. Law itself, I averr, is also sentimental only distinct by it's nature of bindingness upon the generality of the people.

My dubitable conclusion, therefore, is that in the coming elections and in whatever events that may govern our lives we should accept the best sentiment that appeals to us, with the brighter prospect to attaining general goodness or personal goodness as the case may be. Thus, as 2015 is concerned, I have a personal sentiment of mine. This is, vote for the man with lesser promises, most articulate in passing his point, whose side engages in lesser criticism of the other, appeals more to my intellect and personal interest and who has the most inspiring speeches. I guess the debates have so much to decide.
Vote for your dearest and most reasonable sentiment. Nigeria will turn out well.

(1) (Reply)

2015: Reclaiming The Future: We Must Get Leadership Right / Youths Burn Brooms Together With APC Flags In Imo / Jonathan Vs Buhari: May The Best Man For 21st Century Nigeria Win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.