Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,368 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:22 AM

Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar (27193 Views)

Speculators Get Burnt As Naira Gains Value / Anxiety As Naira Falls N250 To Dollar - Daily Times / Xenophobia: MTN Nigeria Warns Of 6,000 Job Losses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by lockupman(m): 11:21am On Dec 20, 2014
Any hope the falling naira would improve after the yuletide season?
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by lockupman(m): 11:25am On Dec 20, 2014
You said it's a lie? These Jonathanians won't cease to amaze me with their shallow minds o. You call it a lie and my aboki confirmed that he'll sell dollar for N192.5? Get a life please.

quote author=omenka post=29041429]Rubbish!

If this isn't coming from NOI polls then everyone should disregard it. It is a concocted lie from the propaganda mills of APC!! angry[/quote]
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by Nobody: 11:36am On Dec 20, 2014
lockupman:

Seriously.....the hope is very little. As long as the crude oil prices keep tumbling (with some people predicting USD50/barrel), their is no respite for the Naira both in the short and long run.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by merits(m): 11:42am On Dec 20, 2014
[quote author=JUBILEE2000 post=29041912][/quote]God i thank you see as my name "MERITS"painted yellow and make this thread sensible and special.infact seun i deserve an award,cuz am special and unique.if you believe me please kindly hit like.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by akereconfi: 11:46am On Dec 20, 2014
This is the perfect time to transfer money home.

I sent £1999 and trust me, am on the winning side.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by onatisi(m): 11:50am On Dec 20, 2014
Nigeria and nigerians must start looking inwards.and start looking at what they can produce locally and make money from. Nigeria is a business paradise and the market is there already,what is needed is individuals and people with the right ideas and business acumen to tap into it. I don't see any reason why nigerians should be importing ready made designer dresses when there are many good tailors in nigeria. Govt needs to help in revamping many industries that can produce raw materials for these sectors. Cotton farmers should be encouraged and texitile industries revamped .if this is done to many sectors of the nigeria economy I believe the nigeria economy will bounce back real strong

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by unmask: 11:52am On Dec 20, 2014
temitemi1:
We survived economy meltdown, so we will survive this again. God bless Nigeria!!!
which meltdown did you survive? .... If Nigeria sees meltdown, she won't last one week
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by GoldStandard: 11:53am On Dec 20, 2014
All I'm thinking of now is what to start exporting....
I envy our brotheRs in Onitsha & Aba
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by onatisi(m): 11:57am On Dec 20, 2014
GoldStandard:
All I'm thinking of now is what to start exporting....
I envy our brotheRs in Onitsha & Aba
I believe agricultural product is the easiest and fastest.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by Originalsly: 12:01pm On Dec 20, 2014
Just my advice to the ordinary man.....whatever savings you have...convert it to a foreign currency...Pounds/USD...they are more popular....you would do much better than having that cash in the bank. Eg...2 weeks ago if you had N175 in your account you could have bought US$100 .....today with your N175 still sitting in the bank you can only buy maybe only US$90 ...two weeks from now even less as the power if your N175 decreases. Now if 2 weeks ago you had used the N175 to buy US$100....then today if you needed to withdraw your savings...instead of just having N175....you convert the USD100 back to naira and would now have N192 or whatever the todays rate. Today s not too late to convert....it may seem expensive but in two weeks time you would see the difference. It's Christmas time...many are coming home from abroad with currency to convert to Naira....buy it. If not currency...I advise you buy assets.....a brand new generator /car...a house....whatever you buy today will cost much more in a few weeks time even if the naira stabilizes from today. To importers.....your days are numbered...you will have to pay a lot more for goods and would have a hard time passing on the increase to the now cash strapped and picky consumers. Importers...find things to exort...that's where the money will be...in exportation. Just my little advice....been there done that.

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by lockupman(m): 12:01pm On Dec 20, 2014
Talk from now till tomorrow. Nothing in Nigeria would work until, development will continue to elude Nigerians, Manufacuring will continue to produce goods that are substandard, coupled with rising cost of production until there is 24 hours power supply and corruption is chased out from Nigeria then every other good things will fall into place. You want change. Vote wisely. Sai Buhari 2015

persius555:
Well seconded.What kind of country with over 170 million people/moth will wait to be fed by importation.If the US, china, India is cutting down on importation, we should be cutting down on importation of goods that have viable alternatives. Top on import lists are rice, sugar, flour, cars.FG should work on local alternatives of these goods.

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by MAURI: 12:13pm On Dec 20, 2014
Seriously.....the hope is very little. As long as the crude oil prices keep tumbling (with some people predicting USD50/barrel), their is no respite for the Naira both in the short and long run.

..In addition to this, the Naira is relatively holding it’s resistance for now cos of the imminent yelutide season, whereby a lot of foreign-base Nigerians return home with high inflow of forex. The Naira is often stable or records slight improvement again all major currencies in this period due to the reason mentioned earlier. Having taken this into consideration, and the Naira is still experiencing a gradual fall, the expectation will be that the fall will persist after the yelutide season unless we see an improvement in the price of oil.

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by Originalsly: 12:30pm On Dec 20, 2014
persius555:
Well seconded.What kind of country with over 170 million people/moth will wait to be fed by importation.If the US, china, India is cutting down on importation, we should be cutting down on importation of goods that have viable alternatives. Top on import lists are rice, sugar, flour, cars.FG should work on local alternatives of these goods.
True talk. The FG has to have a policy to encourage production and discourage importation. Eg... certain items need to be put in a Luxury category and heavily taxed..."you want to import a car?...a Benz 63AMG?..fine.....import duty would be 100% cost price plus Luxury tax of 25%...plus 15% gas guzzler tax". Importing fish and other stuff that can be supplied locally should be banned as well as the other stuff like apples and grapes. Do we ever think about exporting mangoes?...no we don't because blah blah blah ...other countries do...but t the same time we are proud to import strawberries et al. The devaluation of the naira is a blessing in disguise...but many will suffer.

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by martineverest(m): 12:31pm On Dec 20, 2014
Dont forget d effects...we depend on foreign products like smartphones etc..the prices ll surely sky rockect....imagine galaxy note 4 sold 670 dollars as announced by samsung is being converted to naira( from 15# to 194),what ll be d effect?.dont also forget we depend on foreign raw materials for manufacturing industries.
tit:
a weaker naira means that it will be cheaper to produce goods in nigeria and sell to the world!
this should be an employment opportunity for hardworking people and entrepreneurs.

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by johncreek: 12:35pm On Dec 20, 2014
This is a blessing in disguise i must confess....
Enterpreneurs get ready to take over.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by ssammy: 1:08pm On Dec 20, 2014
Maczeelly:
God have mercy on this nation

We really need change in this country!!!!!!!!!!!!
The change we need is not necessarily a change in leadership as it is a change in thinking of nigerians. An average nigerian don't want to work, all they want to do is spend money on flashy electronics and cars. The leadership situation in this country is a reflection on the state of the populace.

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by 989900: 1:11pm On Dec 20, 2014
tit:
a weaker naira means that it will be cheaper to produce goods in nigeria and sell to the world!
this should be an employment opportunity for hardworking people and entrepreneurs.

Which goods do we produce to sell to the world, that is totally independent of imported raw materials (which directly impacts production cost)?

Would manufacturers not have to buy imported generators, vehicles, and e.t.c.?

It's a novel idea, but we are so far off at the moment.

While sensible oil producing countries were busy diversifying and investing wisely while oil was @ $140+, our leaders were busy looting, and partying. Now they want to start diversifying and investing @ $60/barrel...Ok.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by Nobody: 1:26pm On Dec 20, 2014
FrankC3:
For me, this is the opportunity for us to allow the naira assume it's actual value in the market. The CBN, Finance Ministry and the National Planning office know exactly what is going on. I dont think naira is being devalued, its value has always been falsely maintained by squandering our foreign reserve. It is time to take off the protectionist glove and let the naira gain value on the merits of improved production, employment generation and real economic activity not on the back of foreign reserve, afterall Nigerians are not happy with debt. We can't eat our cake and have it.

It takes ball to do what is happening now in an election period. Dollars will be injected early next year to firm it a little but we should fold our sleeves to build on a solid foundations of agriculture, manufacturing and services that earn foreign exchange.

Permit me but my understanding of the recent downtrend is that the world has found alternatives to oil & are not keen on our products again...in this same vein do you think they will be interested in our agricultural & manufacturing prowess seeing they have gone further than us in these areas...I dont think we'll improve much with exporting rather I even see us importing their goods since they are way ahead of us...
I stand to be corrected though cos I really suck at economic & money matters...your enlightenment will be most welcomed.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by CyracksMrBlogger(m): 1:27pm On Dec 20, 2014
FrankC3:
For me, this is the opportunity for us to allow the naira assume it's actual value in the market. The CBN, Finance Ministry and the National Planning office know exactly what is going on. I dont think naira is being devalued, its value has always been falsely maintained by squandering our foreign reserve. It is time to take off the protectionist glove and let the naira gain value on the merits of improved production, employment generation and real economic activity not on the back of foreign reserve, afterall Nigerians are not happy with debt. We can't eat our cake and have it.

It takes ball to do what is happening now in an election period. Dollars will be injected early next year to firm it a little but we should fold our sleeves to build on a solid foundations of agriculture, manufacturing and services that earn foreign exchange.
we still have intelligent people like you in this country which means there is hope for Nigeria. The government should be ashame of themselves telling us that they use money from the country's external reserve to support the value of Naira against dollar when people are jobless waiting to be employed. Why not use that money to create jobs for people that will increase our exportation...
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by Kelly32: 1:36pm On Dec 20, 2014
tit:

Am sure you didn't take lectures in economics.

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by kjhova(m): 1:38pm On Dec 20, 2014
onatisi:
ok let me give u an example of what I mean. I was in india in 1980 to 1982 during the time of rajiv ghandi the son of indirah ghanadi. Rajiv made a law that totally banned the importation of foreign goods ,and the few ones on sale were very very very costly. indians had no choice but to start looking inward and mind u they didn't even have oil. But they started producing goods for their local market and later perfected the manufacturing of those goods. That was when they started producing scooter (tricycle) and other goods. we cant wait for power supply to stabilize before starting to produce. Secondly I will dispute ur analysis of market unavailability. The nigerian market itself is enough to accommodate any amount or quantity of agricultural product produced. This is the largest market in africa and the largest black nation in the world .we are talking about 170million ppl living and feeding in nigeria. So on the issue of market not been available I may not agree with u on that. The nigerian market will continue to attract investors regardless of whatever challenges they face here. China started in a similar fashion too,start producing for ur local market first before the international market,limit drastically the amount of money sent abroad to bring in this goods. The usa once said about nigeria that nigeria is the only country that exports all that she needs but import all that she has. A total ban on the importation of finished good but tax relief for machinery needed for manufacturing is the way forward for nigeria. Although this will require a political will that cannot be gotten from a democratic nigerian govt.

Your line of thought on th e topic is sound. However the world of today has changed compared to Indhira's 1980's. Nigeria is signatory to the GATT & is a member of the WTO. These alone ensures that we cannot unilaterally emplace restrictions on trade without recourse to our trade partners except Nigeria wants to exist in a pariah status for a period.

The way out of poverty in the modern world requires a certain level of leadership & commitment. Such level that is constantly non-existent in Africa but hopefully should be demonstrable from the new set of leaders at the end of the 2nd decade of the new millenium.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by onatisi(m): 1:49pm On Dec 20, 2014
kjhova:

Your line of thought on th e topic is sound. However the world of today has changed compared to Indhira's 1980's. Nigeria is signatory to the GATT & is a member of the WTO. These alone ensures that we cannot unilaterally emplace restrictions on trade without recourse to our trade partners except Nigeria wants to exist in a pariah status for a period.

The way out of poverty in the modern world requires a certain level of leadership & commitment. Such level that is constantly non-existent in Africa but hopefully should be demonstrable from the new set of leaders at the end of the 2nd decade of the new millenium.
I never thought about the trade treaty angle . Then govt needs to find a way of discouraging importation and at the same time not upsetting our relationship with other countries. It is a complex case I must admit .
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by kjhova(m): 1:59pm On Dec 20, 2014
lockupman:

Not likely that the situation will improve much after the yuletide.

The sad part is that the solution to the looming recession is no longer in our hands as we did not build up enough FX reserves to cushion the loss of FX from the on-going oil price fall. Also we have remained a mono-economy as we still haven't diversified from oil dependency.

As it is, until the price of oil begins to appreciate again, it can only get worse for Nigeria in 2015. Unless of course we find our self a sugar daddy in the like of the Paris or London clubs (IMF, WB etc) which will cushion our recession in the short term but cripple us with debt in the long run.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by onatisi(m): 2:10pm On Dec 20, 2014
kjhova:

Not likely that the situation will improve much after the yuletide.

The sad part is that the solution to the looming recession is no longer in our hands as we did not build up enough FX reserves to cushion the loss of FX from the on-going oil price fall. Also we have remained a mono-economy as we still haven't diversified from oil dependency.

As it is, until the price of oil begins to appreciate again, it can only get worse for Nigeria in 2015. Unless of course we find our self a sugar daddy in the like of the Paris or London clubs (IMF, WB etc) which will cushion our recession in the short term but cripple us with debt in the long run.
we are back to the days of SAP I guess .
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by GoldStandard: 2:13pm On Dec 20, 2014
onatisi:
I believe agricultural product is the easiest and fastest.

But you can't export POULtRY products, can you? Cos others are more like long-term plan
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by kjhova(m): 2:14pm On Dec 20, 2014
unmask:
which meltdown did you survive? .... If Nigeria sees meltdown, she won't last one week

Actually, Nigeria has been in meltdown since 1982 and has never fully come out of it. Brief respite in '92-'93 & 2002-'06 were quickly eroded by subsequent govt inconsistencies.

The future isn't looking bright for us except we drastically change the way we do things.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by onatisi(m): 2:15pm On Dec 20, 2014
GoldStandard:

But you can't export POULtRY products, can you? Cos others are more like long-term plan
yes and no. But why do u want to export when we can't even satisfy local demand?

1 Like

Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by kjhova(m): 2:25pm On Dec 20, 2014
onatisi:
we are back to the days of SAP I guess .

Yes, we are right back at 1986 & SAP. But the sad part is that this time we have a democratic government in an election year. It will be difficult to take tough decisions more-so the present govt has not demonstrated overtime the courage to take such decisions.

Worse still, SAP failed in '86 due to mis-governance. Any guarantees that we can make it work this time? We hope so.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by onatisi(m): 2:25pm On Dec 20, 2014
In nigeria of today ,our agric products are business goldmines, do people know that there is not enough pineapples to satisfy the local market? What about oranges and mangos. The same applies to them. All these fruit drinks companies always sends out agents to procure these items. I know someone that moved back to nigeria some years back and immediately went into banana plantation he later told me he would never have travelled if he knew there is so much money in agriculture. The major problem nigeria has is agric produce preservation. This is an area universities and research institutes need to come up with ways by which these fruits and crops can be preserved for sometime before selling them.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by onatisi(m): 2:31pm On Dec 20, 2014
kjhova:

Yes, we are right back at 1986 & SAP. But the sad part is that this time we have a democratic government in an election year. It will be difficult to take tough decisions more-so the present govt has not demonstrated overtime the courage to take such decisions.

Worse still, SAP failed in '86 due to mis-governance. Any guarantees that we can make it work this time? We hope so.
bros , believe me only a miracle can make SAP work with these politicians we have .
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by Originalsly: 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2014
onatisi:
In nigeria of today ,our agric products are business goldmines, do people know that there is not enough pineapples to satisfy the local market? What about oranges and mangos. The same applies to them. All these fruit drinks companies always sends out agents to procure these items. I know someone that moved back to nigeria some years back and immediately went into banana plantation he later told me he would never have travelled if he knew there is so much money in agriculture. The major problem nigeria has is agric produce preservation. This is an area universities and research institutes need to come up with ways by which these fruits and crops can be preserved for sometime before selling them.
I hear you on agri production....but like was said before....whatever the produce...there is a ready market..170 million mouths to chop....no big need for preservation and if necessary....sunlight is good enough. Guy remigrated and started a now successful banana farm....do we ever think of a mango farm?...coconut farm?...banana farm?...no we don't. Nigerians beware....the fall in the naira will make it cheaper for foreign investors to invest here. Look at the history of South Africa.....great buildings, infrastructure, strong currency....what happened to the masses? The FG need to provide the opportunities and infrastructure for Nigerians to actively engage in the development of Nigeria...making it as much self supportive as possible instead of presenting the country on a silver platter to foreign investors/exploiters all in the name of privitisation.
Re: Job Losses Loom As Naira Sells 194 To Dollar by GoldStandard: 3:50pm On Dec 20, 2014
onatisi:
yes and no. But why do u want to export when we can't even satisfy local demand?

I already got the LOCAL covered.
I want to go Int'l now, rake in quick bucks with this current naira devaluation!
Yes/No??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Close Nicon Luxury Abuja / "Tribapay Dollar Card Is The Cheapest And Best At N705/$1" / PHOTOS: Dangote & MD, Nigerian Ports, HB Usman At Dangote Petrochemical Refinery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.