Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,481 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. (7269 Views)

PHOTO*Buari Plans To Introduce Sharia To Nigeria,Read This Quote He Made In 2001 / Buhari Calls For A Total Sharia In Nigeria (Published 2001) / Buhari Calls For 'TOTAL' Sharia In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Go Down)

Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by udezue(m): 8:47pm On Dec 10, 2008
good question
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 10, 2008
earTHMama:

@Jarus & other sharia propagandists,
Will muslims allow and enjoy it if we introduce canon laws in Lagos and kwara states?. Will you support such move because it can help achieve a saner society where morality is the watchword?

they are busy at the UN fighting to have the term "jewish" included as a racist term. The same people who are happy to proclaim themselves "islamic republics" are petitioning the UN to force Israel to stop refering to itself as a "jewish" state but as a "secular" state.

hypocrites all of them.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Pataki: 8:55pm On Dec 10, 2008
Jarus:

Just have time to contribute to this topic now, even though I've been monitoring it since morning.

Well, as a Muslim, I'm pro-Sharia and I believe,if practised sincerely, it is the only system that can bring sanity to the world. This is my own take. I don't care what anybody says.

As regards Lagos' Muslim population, I may not totally agree that Lagos has more Muslims than Christians. From my observations however, I believe majority of the core Lagos indigenous families(the Ojoras, the Williams, the Oyekans, the Akiolus,the Smiths,Okoyas,the Tinubus etc) have more Muslims than Christians.

Another thing I observe is that the core Lagos Island and its environs have more Muslim population, this is where you see the Kamorus, the Lukus, the Sikiras, the Basiras aplenty. Also Epe and Ikorodu have more Muslims than Christians. Before the critical Lekki traffic forced us to move to VI early this year, we(my family) lived in a  settlement after Ajah, on Epe expressway, and 75% of the people of this community are Muslims.

On the other side, the areas VI,Lekki,Ikoyi etc are dominated by the Christians, so much so that we don't even have a mosque in our VI area now, and I have to be joining the Hausas to pray in the make-shift mini-ground around.

I may not be convinced enough to say there are more Muslims in Lagos than Christians, but to say Lagos' Christians quadruples Muslims, as yemmyse claimed, is turning truth on its head.
On what source is your postulations based on? I had the opportunity of reading your write-up on AWO Hall in Ife in one of the Nigerian Dailies today and I cannot help but wonder how the dailies would allow some preposterous statements to be written out. You stated in your write-up that there are more Muslims in Awo Hall than Christians, I cannot help but laugh at such a statement and here you are again with another baseless postulation that the Tinubus, Williams, Oyekans etc have more muslim as core Lagos indigenes from your core observations. grin cheesy grin So if we go back to the beginning of Lagos, it was founded on Islam right?

How does more muslims as core Lagos indigenes suffice that Sharia should be embraced in Lagos assuming your postulation is anything near the truth? undecided
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by otele(m): 8:59pm On Dec 10, 2008
davidylan:

Two quick questions:

1. Can you mention JUST ONE country where sharia is practiced "sincerely"?

2. Of all those countries practicing sharia law (sincerely of course) . . . can you remind us of JUST ONE where sanity indeed reigns?

Thank you for your honest and quick response.
Davidylan

United States grin (michigan)
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by RibaduFan(m): 10:17pm On Dec 10, 2008
Lammie

Wouldnt have bothered responding to ur post, but U sounded enlightened and educated, so here is my response:

I ve lived, schooled and worked for a total about 27 years in different parts of Lagos, from Ajar to Sango, to Mushin, Isolo, Iyana Ipaja, Ikorodu, Epe and am yet to see a predominantly muslim commonity, save for Idiaraba and Lagos Island (Isale Eko). Most of the other areas are predominantly xtain. U need to see the scanty attendance at friday Jumat services and compare with most churches in Lagos. If u think this is still narrow minded then I don't want to know what broad minded is.

As for the lady in Ijab, was not complaining about her outfit as long as my wife, siblings and daughters are not forced to wear it. But when the introduction of a particular judicial system compels them to do so, then it becomes my headache.

I don't hate Islam, but I hate fanatism. a few members of my family are muslims and I love them passionately (right now I still have the Sallah meat from them in my mouth). But asking for the introduction of sharia in a predominantly xtain state, like Lagos, is simply asking for avoidable trouble. It is like xtains asking for the Canon laws in Kebbi. It is pure provocation.

Why do muslims love to impose their way of life unnecessarily on others?

Aint we happy with the status quo in Lagos(religious wise) ?

Why bring in Sharia, what value is that adding to our lives?

We can't we live and allow others to live?

Why truncate the current stream of devpt in Lagos?

WHY WHY WHY?
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by otele(m): 10:34pm On Dec 10, 2008
yemmyse:

WHY WHY WHY?

because xtainity preaches peace and tolerance. if not, what can those nincompoops do? the jews are not so much into that peace doctrine of christains and u can all see what israel, a country of 6 million is doing to . . . how many countries . . .i cant count. . . . at the same time. jews preach an eye for an eye. and the are doing it in the middle east
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 11:26pm On Dec 10, 2008
an old survey that should be an eye opener to anyone that thinks Islam is a religion.Let him who has an ear,hear

Support for terrorism: All the Muslim populations polled display a solid majority of support for Osama bin Laden. Asked whether they have confidence in him, Muslims replied positively, ranging between 8% (in Turkey) and 72% (in Nigeria). Likewise, suicide bombing is popular. Muslims who call it justified range from 13% (in Germany) to 69% (in Nigeria). These appalling numbers suggest that terrorism by Muslims has deep roots and will remain a danger for years to come

http://www.nigerianmuse.com/20081203073502zg/nigeriawatch/pew-poll-on-how-muslims-think-by-daniel-pipes-june-2006
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by auwal87(m): 12:12am On Dec 11, 2008
The Jewish Dominated Medias has Simply Killed so many ill-Informed Christians.
Islam has been Hijacked by very few Terrorists
ill-Informed Muslims supports the Terrorist Organizations
Some Christians thinks Islam is a total Disaster on Earth (After 1400 years of existence)

What we need?

1. Knowledge
2. Sincerity
3. Honesty
4. Faith

Muhammad is the Last Messenger of God
The Holy Qur'an is Human's Manual
Allah is the Way
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 12:17am On Dec 11, 2008
auwal87:

A tiny strip of land populated by about 5.2m people is dominating the world's media? Pls tell us another lie.

auwal87:

Islam has been Hijacked by very few Terrorists

Very few? hmmm funny how every terrorist seems to hijack islam alone . . . did they hijack those verses too?

auwal87:

Some Christians thinks Islam is a total Disaster on Earth (After 1400 years of existence)

Most muslims think the jews are at fault for global warming.

auwal87:

What we need?

1. Knowledge
2. Sincerity
3. Honesty
4. Faith

Go preach this to your brothers in Jos and Kano.

auwal87:

Muhammad is the Last Messenger of God
The Holy Qur'an is Human's Manual
Allah is the Way

Yada yada yada.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 12:26am On Dec 11, 2008
The wonderful world of sharia.

In a society where women constitute the majority of the population and account for more university graduates than men, they have few of the rights that most of Western society usually grants.

They are not allowed to study any subject they want - law and engineering, for example, are closed to them. They cannot vote, travel without the explicit approval of husband or a male guardian, drive, or work in most government offices. Even when hired in a private office, they are usually put in a separate room from men.

And, what perhaps has attracted the attention of the human rights and feminist groups in the West the most, is the fact that they have to wear 'abayas' - the neck-to-ankle black robe, and cover their hair with a black scarf.
Saudi women inside the country say that while they welcome some pressure from outside on their conservative government to give women more rights, the emphasis is often on religious matters that are not as important to Saudi women as having other social and political rig

that is sharia in their currently ideal sharia state of Wahhabi Islamic Saudi Arabia.
we want none of that crap
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by osisi4: 12:32am On Dec 11, 2008
The woman began talking to us about what she wants: "I like to drive. Here, the woman cannot drive. And I like here to have a cinema…a movie."

And then, finally, she said: "I like to be free. All people want to be free."

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/03/23/60minutes/main682565_page2.shtml
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Nobody: 12:41am On Dec 11, 2008
osisi*:

The wonderful world of sharia.

that is sharia in their currently ideal sharia state of Wahhabi Islamic Saudi Arabia.
we want none of that crap

That is not sharia as "sincerely" practiced . . . we may need to go to jaanat to find out.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by bawomolo(m): 4:32am On Dec 11, 2008

so which jews dominate the media
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by dayokanu(m): 6:55am On Dec 11, 2008
On what source is your postulations based on? I had the opportunity of reading your write-up on AWO Hall in Ife in one of the Nigerian Dailies today and I cannot help but wonder how the dailies would allow some preposterous statements to be written out. You stated in your write-up that there are more Muslims in Awo Hall than Christians, I cannot help but laugh at such a statement and here you are again with another baseless postulation that the Tinubus, Williams, Oyekans etc have more muslim as core Lagos indigenes from your core observations. So if we go back to the beginning of Lagos, it was founded on Islam right?

How does more muslims as core Lagos indigenes suffice that Sharia should be embraced in Lagos assuming your postulation is anything near the truth

This is the greatest lie in history. I used to think Ife-eco was liberal and reasonable but this post just proves one thing Reasoning flies out of the window when religions comes in.

Awo hall predominantly moslem? That is a BIG FAT LIE!!!!! I libed in Awo hall for 3 good sessions

IFE as a University has Xtian to Moslem population in the region of 10:1 so how come Moslems outnumber xtians in Awo Hall.
I lived in rm 76 block 3, rm 151 block 5 and room 208 block 7 and I only have one Moslem roommates in all the rooms

Every time you get to Ife, there is always a fellowship going on at everytime where do these Moslems come from!!!

Moslems like to be vocal and very expressive that was what caused the "Mojo" riot of 2006 where Moslems told Awo hall residents to stop watching Blue films and it caused the school to be closed down.

I remember sometimes in 1997 or so when Moslems stopped an exam by PHE (Jumpology) students because it was held on Friday. The PHE students led by Hassan a moslem Judoka went to the Mosque to deal with the fanatics and Burnt all the Mats there.

They always act like the minority and want to bring themselves into the forefront at all cost.

That Statement by IFE-ECO claiming Moslems to be more in Awo Hall is a Big Fat lie!!!!!

Unless it has changed recently the Ife I knew in the late 90's till 2003 was a predominantly Xtian school even Friends from Outside used to yab us that we are too Born again in Ife!!!!
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Jarus(m): 8:23am On Dec 11, 2008
Pataki:

On what source is your postulations based on? I had the opportunity of reading your write-up on AWO Hall in Ife in one of the Nigerian Dailies today and I cannot help but wonder how the dailies would allow some preposterous statements to be written out. You stated in your write-up that there are more Muslims in Awo Hall than Christians, I cannot help but laugh at such a statement and here you are again with another baseless postulation that the Tinubus, Williams, Oyekans etc have more muslim as core Lagos indigenes from your core observations. grin cheesy grin So if we go back to the beginning of Lagos, it was founded on Islam right?

How does more muslims as core Lagos indigenes suffice that Sharia should be embraced in Lagos assuming your postulation is anything near the truth? undecided
Me? Claim that there are more Muslims in Awo hall than Christians? You obviously did not have your glasses on when reading my article. I saw this post shortly after you posted it yesternight but the server failed me. And responding to it is the first thing I'll do this morning, even before attending to Auditors waiting for me. It's only unfortunate that Dayokanu has been and other people that have read it have already ingested it before this defence.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Pataki: 8:34am On Dec 11, 2008
Jarus:

Me? Claim that there are more Muslims in Awo hall than Christians? You obviously did not have your glasses on when reading my article. I saw this post shortly after you posted it yesternight but the server failed me. And responding to it is the first thing I'll do this morning, even before attending to Auditors waiting for me. It's only unfortunate that Dayokanu has been and other people that have read it have already ingested it before this defence.
Sure it is you. Are you not Suraj Oyewale? Is this statement below not from you?
If anybody says social activities alone are what make Awo Hall tick, such a person is either ignorant or being economical with the truth. On the religious realm, Awo Hall is known to have the largest congregation of practicing Muslims that say their five daily prayers regularly and timely. Sermons in the hall’s mosque are always so powerful, touching and thought-provoking that the lives of many Muslim students in the hall and beyond, changed for good as a result of these admonitions. Although most of the Christian fellowships prefer Fajuyi Hall as their base, some of them are also based in Awo Hall.

Here is the link just in case you must have forgotten it.

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=40464
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Jarus(m): 8:38am On Dec 11, 2008
Pataki, you are no doubt one of the most intelligent Nairalanders, but this quality seems to desert you while reading my article, and inevitably while posting that malicious comment.
For reference purpose, let me reproduce teh article in question:

The world of Awo Hall    20/12/2007

By Suraj Oyewale

Awo Hall, as the popular Obafemi Awolowo Hall in Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile-Ife is called, is one hostel anybody who passed through the university will live to remember; whether he lived in it or not. This writer is not different. Ever since I graduated from the institution last year, reminiscing on my experiences in this hall of residence is one thing I relish.

When Awo Hall is mentioned in the OAU community and beyond, the first thing that comes to people’s mind is radicalism, although some unenlightened often take this as synonymous with rascality, which is not so. Awoites, as residents of this famous hall are called, are known to be radical minded and ready to go to any length to fight oppression and injustice. The hall has a tradition of radicalism.

With the aptly epithet "the political headquarters of Great Ife", Awo Hall has proved to be the training ground for activists who are today known throughout Nigeria. From Femi Falana to Lanre Arogundade, to Fred Agbaje, the list of ex-Awoites is endless. It is on record that Femi Falana started his activism in his days at Ife as the Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the Students Union in the 1980\81 session. Lanre Arogundade, ex-Lagos NUJ boss and frontline activist, in an interview in a newspaper sometime ago, dwelt extensively on his experience in Awo Hall in the early to mid-1980s.

During my stay in Awo Hall, Chief Alex Akinyele and the then Speaker of the Oyo State House of Assembly, Hon. Alarape, came to visit us in the hall at various times and could not hold back their joy as they extolled the hall’s virtues. The immediate past speakers of Oyo and Osun states Houses of Assembly are ex-Awoites.

It is not only in politics and human rights activism that Awo Hall products are making waves. In the business world ex-Awoites are also doing fine. The likes of Jimoh Ibrahim, businessman and former CEO, NICON Group; Segun Ajibola, Director, Intercontinental Bank; the late Ibrahim Dosunmu, ex-MD, Wema Bank Plc and several other company chiefs once lived in Awo Hall.

From the social to the political, to the economic, to the cultural, and even to the religious, Awo Hall is the hub of activities in OAU. Although Awoites are not known to be front benchers in classrooms, they are no poor performers, academically. A good number of ex-Awoites graduated as the best students in their classes. In my set alone, I know up to 10 First Class graduands who lived most, if not all of their undergraduate lives, in Awo Hall.

If anybody says social activities alone are what make Awo Hall tick, such a person is either ignorant or being economical with the truth. On the religious realm, Awo Hall is known to have the largest congregation of practicing Muslims that say their five daily prayers regularly and timely. Sermons in the hall’s mosque are always so powerful, touching and thought-provoking that the lives of many Muslim students in the hall and beyond, changed for good as a result of these admonitions. Although most of the Christian fellowships prefer Fajuyi Hall as their base, some of them are also based in Awo Hall.

Politically, Awoites are leaders. Aside from the fact that the official rooms of key students’ union officers are in the hall, the Students Representative Council (SRC) parliamentary sittings also take place there. Awo Hall also has a reputation for being the base of OAU’s militancy. Anytime the need for demonstration or protest arises, the aluta train takes off from the hall.

One word that apparently does not appear in the dictionary of Awoites is class. Virtually everybody is equal irrespective of age, level, family background and academic standing. Here is a place where you can hardly distinguish between the children of the rich and those of the poor.

Awoites have zero tolerance for oppression. Two students dare not fight each other in Awo Hall. If you steal another student’s property and you are caught, "Maximum Shishi" or "Ferefe Shishi", as the punishment systems in the hall are called, awaits you depending on the severity of your offence and the judgment of the congress of Awo boys. Cultists move near the hall to their peril. Awo boys are so courageous and fearless that they arrest cultists themselves, mete "maximum shishi" on them and hand them over to the school security. It was this cultism fighting reputation of Awo Hall that made the evil men mobilise and launch an external attack on the hall on July 10, 1999, killing the then Students’ Union PRO, George Iwilade a.k.a Africa, and four other students. Awoites have since put this unfortunate incident behind them and have not relented in their cultism fighting effort. Today, OAU is known to be the most cult-free university in Nigeria.

Enter the phenomenon "Aro". Aro is a term used to describe certain irrational, but deliberate behaviour or speech of a student so as to make other students laugh. This phenomenon is common in halls of residence throughout Nigerian higher institutions, but at no place is it wilder than at Awo Hall. In fact, the hall has been nicknamed Aro hall. Aro takes different forms. You see a student barking like a dog or crowing like a cock; you see a student eating beans from a bucket in an open place; you see a student enter the reading room and utter a statement like "Nigeria is playing (football match) and you are reading. You are not good Nigerians. Pack your books and go to the TV room". Understanding that he is only doing aro, the readers will just laugh it off and continue with their reading.

For indecently dressed female students, Awo Hall is not a place to pass, as Awo boys have songs they sing for them that make them feel ashamed of their dressing.

Although all these funny speeches and actions ease academic tensions and stress, Awo boys go to the extreme at times.

Traditionally, Awoites are great consumers of beans. Added together, at least one bag of beans sinks daily in the 356 rooms in Awo Hall, no wonder anytime a foul odour is perceived in classrooms Awo boys are pointed at as the "unleashers" of the odorous "missiles".

For all that passed through the University of Ife (and now OAU) in the last three decades, their experience in Awo Hall or in their interactions with Awoites will surely remain evergreen in their memoies. Awo Hall is, indeed, a great hall. Awo Hall, my Awo Hall, I miss you.

http://www.thenationonlineng.com/dynamicpage.asp?id=40464

Grammarians in NL, please tell me, is that statement saying there are more Muslims in Awo hall than Christians? Isn't it unambiguous enough to show you that I'm comparing Muslims in Awo hall with Muslims in other halls, and not Muslims with Christians. Or do you expect me to use a primary 1 English  that 'there are more practising Muslims in Awo hall than other halls'.
Consider this statement:
'New York has largest concentration of Nigerians in US'. Does that mean Nigerians are the largest natioanality in US? My primary 3 sister will definitely not think that way. Obviously, the statement means there are more Nigerians in NY than any other US city.

Pataki, your English  teacher will not be proud of you for this interpretation gaffe.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Pataki: 8:50am On Dec 11, 2008
Jarus:

Pataki, you are no doubt one of the most intelligent Nairalanders, but this quality seems to desert you while reading my article, and inevitably while posting that malicious comment.
For reference purpose, let me reproduce the article in question:

Grammarians in NL, [b]please tell me, is that statement saying there are more Muslims in Awo hall than Christians? Isn't it unambiguous enough to show you that I'm comparing Muslims in Awo hall with Muslims in other halls, and not Muslims with Christians. [/b]Or do you expect me to use a primary 1 English  that 'there are more practising Muslims in Awo hall than other halls'.
Consider this statement:
'New York has largest concentration of Nigerians in US'. Does that mean Nigerians are the largest natioanality in US? My primary 3 sister will definitely not think that way. Obviously, the statement means there are more Nigerians in NY than any other US city.

Pataki, your English  teacher will not be proud of you for this interpretation gaffe.

I would be very proud to enroll you as my English teacher if you can kindly tell me why your comparison dwelt on Christians and not Muslims from other halls? I would have been more satisfied to read that the percentage of muslim population is higher in AWO hall than Faj hall or any other hall. No where in your article did you draw a parallel line with Muslims from other halls rather you inferred to Fajuyi hall where the Christian population is more. Am I the one who is missing the logic in your inputs here? Are your readers expected to do the reasoning on that or you are expected to pass the information as appropriate for your readers to make their own opinion on it?

That said, you are yet to answer my question directed at you yesterday evening.

Regards.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Jarus(m): 8:53am On Dec 11, 2008

As regards the first boldened part, I can now see you did not misfire in interpreting the sentence, that is just your level of understanding. When same mistake is made twice, we may need to replace the word 'mistake' with 'ignorance'. If you still interprete that statement to mean 'there are more Muslims than Christians in Awo hall', then  it's serious.

As regards the statement 'Although most of the Christian fellowships prefer Fajuyi Hall as their base, some of them are also based in Awo Hall.', isn't it clear enough to tell you that the comparison here is between the number of fellowships in Awo and Faj, and not between Muslims and Christians. Isn't it a known fact that there are more fellowships in Faj than Awo.

Ogbeni pataki, please don't let your hatred for a set of people becloud your sense of interpretation!!!!
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Pataki: 9:03am On Dec 11, 2008

Muslims have the largest concentration in AWO HALL. Does that mean Muslims are the largest numerically in Ife? NO!

And nowhere in my post did I infer to Ife as a whole. I do not think you are following my logic here. How do I then pass across my message? undecided

Many thanks for the appraisal to my intellect as I hold your intelligence in high esteem also. However on this particular note, I find it outrageous that you would state that the core Lagos indigenes are muslims which drew my reference to your write-up about the population size of muslims in Ife using AWO Hall as your focal point.

My point however is that you are prejudiced in your belief that percentage of muslims far outweighs the number of christians in whatever situation you use as your focal point. Whether it is AWO hall or core Lagos indigenes which has I guessed, caused all these bruhaha this early morning. grin
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Pataki: 9:15am On Dec 11, 2008
Jarus:

Ogbeni pataki, please don't let your hatred for a set of people becloud your sense of interpretation!!!!
I do not want to keep exchanging words with you on this matter as I see that your tolerance limit is getting to your wits end and before we know it, mudslinging arises which has brought about this last concluding statement from you as quoted above.

FYI, I do not hate muslims. My core friends while in my undergraduate and postgraduate were Muslims. I simply hate the religion called Islam which tries to force itself on people and nations, killed innocent lives in the north of Nigeria amongst numerous other nations of the world. My friends know we can talk in respect to any matter and relate on any level but when it comes to Islam, I let them know my standpoint on it. It does not equal to my hatred for a set of people. Please next time be informed or rather ask before making such an outlandish statement as a conclusion.

Thanks. smiley
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Jarus(m): 9:18am On Dec 11, 2008
The paragraph is definitely unambiguous, but let me attempt an ABC analysis, perhaps you may get me:

If anybody says social activities alone are what make Awo Hall tick, such a person is either ignorant or being economical with the truth.
From this statement, it is obvious the paragraph being introduced is about saying something about other qualities of Awo hall apart from social activities.
On the religious realm suggests the next feature to be mentioned is religious disposition of Awoites, abi
Awo Hall is known to have the largest congregation of practicing Muslims that say their five daily prayers regularly and timely. Sermons in the hall’s mosque are always so powerful, touching and thought-provoking that the lives of many Muslim students in the hall and beyond, changed for good as a result of these admonitions
I started with the Muslims. That, ironically, despite the radical nature of Awoites, the Muslims in the hall say their 5 daily prayers and sermons in the hall mosque are very moving and life-changing. Again nothing in this statement suggests I'm comparing Muslims and Christians. Refer to my US Nigerians analogy in my earlier post.
Although most of the Christian fellowships prefer Fajuyi Hall as their base, some of them are also based in Awo Hall And finally, I talked about Christianity in Awo hall. That, although Faj is generally more preferred by Christian fellowships for their activities, some of them [BSF @ block 7,another(can't recall the name) in block 8]. So again, I never compared Muslims and Christians in Awo hall, rather I compared Muslims in Awo with other halls and Christians in Awo hall with other hall.
To argue there are more Muslims in Awo hall,nay OAU in general, is enough evidence to say somebody never attended Ife. And I will never say that.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by lammie01: 9:42am On Dec 11, 2008
Pataki:

I do not want to keep exchanging words with you on this matter as I see that your tolerance limit is getting to your wits end and before we know it, mudslinging arises which has brought about this last concluding statement from you as quoted above.

FYI, I do not hate muslims. My core friends while in my undergraduate and postgraduate were Muslims. I simply hate the religion called Islam which tries to force itself on people and nations, killed innocent lives in the north of Nigeria amongst numerous other nations of the world. My friends know we can talk in respect to any matter and relate on any level but when it comes to Islam, I let them know my standpoint on it. It does not equal to my hatred for a set of people. Please next time be informed or rather ask before making such an outlandish statement as a conclusion.

Thanks. smiley

@pataki

I think it is very clear the gentleman did not imply that there are more muslims than Christians in  AWO hall. It is so obvious and what I would expect any humble intellectual to do is to own up and apologise and we move on to debate the topic. There is no point in trying to justify the mistake.

As regards your comment that you hate the religion of islam and not muslims is an oxymoron. It is an unfortunate thing to say. I would encourage you to study islam with an independent mind and not from your muslim friends. Several intelligent people have done this and in the process some have even converted to Islam and that’s the sole reason why Islam is the fastest growing religion in the West – US, UK, Germany, Canada and even France. These conversions are not due to immigration but indigenous people  converting to Islam despite all the negativity in the media.

There was a program on aljazeera some few weeks back abt Islam in America and it talked abt some 1000 or so latinos in New Jersey who converted to islam after 9/11. I mean every sane mind would ponder and know there is a reason for this and it is because of independent study of the faith free from all bias.  You don’t have to be a muslim as it is not compulsory but this study would make you learn to respect the faith and understand there is no perfect muslim like there is no perfect Christian or jew.

I learn to respect Christians and I from a family of 7 with 4 christians  and 3 muslims and of the 3 muslims  2 are married to Christians. I have read the bible from genesis to revelation and  with all humility when I discuss with some Christians I find that I even know a lot about the bible than they do. I just find it disgusting when some fanatical people spread these hate messages as it lacks any sense of maturity, intellectuality and enlightenment. These messages has no purpose other than sow deeply the seeds of discord and resentment at a time when we should learn to live in peace and harmony.

Osisi and Davidlad are the Queen and King of the extreme right fanatics who spread these hate messages and I would take my time to reply your posts when I get the time.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by dayokanu(m): 10:05am On Dec 11, 2008
To argue there are more Muslims in Awo hall,nay OAU in general, is enough evidence to say somebody never attended Ife. And I will never say that

I think this statement clarifies it. Maybe I misunderstood you, Maybe I should have asked for the link too.

Lammie,

It does not take a rocket scientist to know that when a system is almost homogenous, any change would lessen the concentration.

In a system that is 100% Moslem the only direction it can move is to come down thereby making the other religion grow.

If Iran is 100% moslem , any change would mean the reduction in moslem percentage wise because no one can go beyond 100%
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by dayokanu(m): 10:11am On Dec 11, 2008
@ Topic,

Can you tell us of what benefit it would be to lagos state drawing an inference from practising states like Kano, Bauchi, Zamfara and Katsina
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by spikedcylinder: 10:11am On Dec 11, 2008
like every law,there s a tendency of it being abused,from the little i know of sharia law,strangers have a right to refuse the law being administered on them same as non muslims sharia being practised in its proper form i dontsee it as any problem,lagos is a cosmopolitan melting pot and its just a way of giving all religious affiliations a chance to practise their religion,nigeria is a member of the oic since how long now that doesnt mean churches arnt growing in large numbers especially pentecostal churches

The highlighted part of this post is so silly. Strangers have the right to refuse the law? Thats akin to saying Americans in Nigeria have a right to refuse Nigerian laws.

Yeye people can't find the answers to my question. angry undecided
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Pataki: 10:13am On Dec 11, 2008
As regards your comment that you hate the religion of islam and not muslims is an oxymoron. It is an unfortunate thing to say. I would encourage you to study islam with an independent mind and not from your muslim friends. Several intelligent people have done this and in the process some have even converted to Islam and that’s the sole reason why Islam is the fastest growing religion in the West – US, UK, Germany, Canada and even France. These conversions are not due to immigration but indigenous people  converting to Islam despite all the negativity in the media.

Why is logic failing this morning? So if I say I hate the dress you are wearing, does that imply I hate you as a person? Is that an oxymoron to you?

There is nothing to study in Islam which I have not undertaken. I have viewed the life of Mohammed as your prophet and I am totally convinced he is nothing but fraud and deceit. It is my own opinion and it remains valid. Whoever wants to hear is free to and mull over it, the onus is left on you to accept my view and change or ignore it and move on.

But to force your religion down my throat with killings here and there, I will not accept that! Q.E.D
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by Jarus(m): 11:23am On Dec 11, 2008
Pataki,
Now that the Awo hall issue has been clarified and settled, we may attempt to argue out the other issue: THE LAGOS MUSLIMS ASSERTION
Let me reproduce that my contentious post for reference:

As regards Lagos' Muslim population, I may not totally agree that Lagos has more Muslims than Christians. From my observations however, I believe majority of the core Lagos indigenous families(the Ojoras, the Williams, the Oyekans, the Akiolus,the Smiths,Okoyas,the Tinubus etc) have more Muslims than Christians.

Another thing I observe is that the core Lagos Island and its environs have more Muslim population, this is where you see the Kamorus, the Lukus, the Sikiras, the Basiras aplenty. Also Epe and Ikorodu have more Muslims than Christians. Before the critical Lekki traffic forced us to move to VI early this year, we(my family) lived in a settlement after Ajah, on Epe expressway, and 75% of the people of this community are Muslims.

On the other side, the areas VI,Lekki,Ikoyi etc are dominated by the Christians, so much so that we don't even have a mosque in our VI area now, and I have to be joining the Hausas to pray in the make-shift mini-ground around.

I may not be convinced enough to say there are more Muslims in Lagos than Christians, but to say Lagos' Christians quadruples Muslims, as yemmyse claimed, is turning truth on its head.
At no place did I mention that Lagos, taken as a whole, has more Muslims than Christians. If anything, what I said was 'I may not totally agree that Lagos has more Muslims than Christians'
Then I attempted an analysis of Lagos Muslim-Christian population using some demographic parameters like indigenes, areas etc. I stand by my claim that 'From my observations however, I believe majority of the core Lagos indigenous families(the Ojoras, the Williams, the Oyekans, the Akiolus,the Smiths,Okoyas,the Tinubus etc) have more Muslims than Christians.' This is my observation, and I did not quote any research or factual statistics. But remember observation is also recognised as a scientific tool. Of course I cannot list every single member of Okoya, Tinubu,Williams,Oyekan,Smith,Akiolu and other indigenous Lagos families and divide them into their religious affiliations, and draw conclusion, but more than 50% of members of these families I've come across are Muslims. And I draw my conclusion from this.

So if we go back to the beginning of Lagos, it was founded on Islam right? by pataki in response to my post

I never said that, and that is not reasonably inferable from my post. Lagos was not founded on Islam. Lagos,like any other Yoruba town, was founded on traditional religions. But with the coming of Islam and Christianity, these people went with whichever they found convincing. The families in question definitely accepted Islam, and Lagos was not founded on Islam, justy my own family too accepted Islam in the 1920's.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by auwal87(m): 2:53pm On Dec 11, 2008
@ Jarus

Please forget those people, they are Animals! They understands nothing and twists words to satisfy their claims.
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by auwal87(m): 2:57pm On Dec 11, 2008
@ Pataki

You are a Monkey

Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by congoshine(m): 2:59pm On Dec 11, 2008
the fact remains that it will NEVER happen !
Re: A Nairalanders Plea To Introduce Sharia In Lagos State. by auwal87(m): 3:00pm On Dec 11, 2008
@ david

You are a Gorilla

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Jonathan Appoints New Advisers Headed By Gen Danjuma / Possible Solution To Nigeria's Health Care Problems / What I Saw Today At Eleme Post Office In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.