Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,912 members, 7,952,675 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:54 PM

Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! (1861 Views)

Help Me Solve This Java / Java Programmers; I Need Your Help Urgently Pleaseeeee / Improve The Speed Of This Java Code. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by whyohme: 6:00pm On Dec 22, 2014
I'm VERY NEW to programming, and I want to learn it. Going through some sites, I was advised to learn Java first. (I have like 20% HTML knowledge already). I've been doing and running the Java "hello World program" but I'm just finding something crazy about the program. Please I'd like your Nairaland programmers (gurus) to please walk me through the process of creating a Java Hello World. java program. Then maybe advice me on more things to learn with.
I've tried learning with http://docs.oracle.com/ java course, but their some things I think I still need "some sort of personal touch" to learn... and I'm REALLY WILLINGLY TO LEARN.
Tip -- I'd like to create an Android app... but from the SCRATCH.
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by ahmmyreal(m): 8:23pm On Dec 22, 2014
You want to write Android apps? Learn Java first.
Want to learn Java on your own? Read Java how to program by Deitel and Head first Java. Also download Java videos from TheNewBoston.com
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by whyohme: 8:29pm On Dec 22, 2014
ahmmyreal:
You want to write Android apps? Learn Java first.
Want to learn Java on your own? Read Java how to program by Deitel and Head first Java. Also download Java videos from TheNewBoston.com
Thanks ahmmyreal.. it's not that I'm not learning but I've got this HUGE problem of cmd error right now. And in fact, I posted an update here -- https://www.nairaland.com/2057428/please-what-should-im-getting
But in order to avoid you clicking the link, lemme just repost it here:

I've been trying for the past four hours to get over the error message I'm getting from cmd, when trying to compile -- a HelloWorldApp.java.
I've gotten all the steps but I haven't passed this step:
Where I've to add this code -- javac HelloWorldApp.java to compile the HelloWorldApp.java
I keep getting this error message from cmd --

C:\MLee>javac HelloWorldApp.java
'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\MLee>C:\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\MLee> javac HelloWorldApp.java
'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\MLee>C:\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

C:\MLee>jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

C:\MLee>C:\ACER\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

C:\MLee>C:\myjava\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

C:\MLee>C:\Program Files (x86)\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.javac
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

C:\MLee>C:\Files\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp

C:\MLee>C:\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp

C:\MLee>C:\jdeo

Please assist me...
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by luksybee(m): 9:33pm On Dec 22, 2014
Hook me up on whatsapp with 080xxxxxxxx
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by Theorix(m): 9:41pm On Dec 22, 2014
Make sure u change directory to point to were d javac is installed
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2014
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by Nobody: 10:03pm On Dec 22, 2014
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by GodMode: 10:06pm On Dec 22, 2014
Download an IDE for java... eclipse or netbeans...
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by whyohme: 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2014
I've downloaded IDE for netbeans
GodMode:
Download an IDE for java... eclipse or netbeans...
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by whyohme: 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2014
Theorix:
Make sure u change directory to point to were d javac is installed
How?? Please explain better!

Cos I've tried changing the directory as in -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_25\

But it tells me 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by whyohme: 10:20pm On Dec 22, 2014
luksybee:
Hook me up on whatsapp with 08030441069
Sorry I'm not on WhatsApp
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by whyohme: 10:26pm On Dec 22, 2014
I also tried this -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_25\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

and this -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

Also this -- C:\Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

And this -- C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

I've also created a PATH is system for JDK1.8.0 as in -- C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin but the whole thing is still MESSED UP!

And please I'm still a beginner!!
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by emmyvet(m): 10:44pm On Dec 22, 2014
whyohme:
I also tried this -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_25\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

and this -- C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

Also this -- C:\Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

And this -- C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin\javac HelloWorldApp.java

I've also created a PATH is system for JDK1.8.0 as in -- C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin but the whole thing is still MESSED UP!

And please I'm still a beginner!!
Sorry!
You are getting the error maybe your aren't specifying the correct path where your .java is .
I will advice you use netbeans for start you code and run your program on netbeans then with time get cool videos on youtube to assist you!
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by GodMode: 10:46pm On Dec 22, 2014
whyohme:
I've downloaded IDE for netbeans

Run it using netbeans...

1 Like

Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by ahmmyreal(m): 11:40pm On Dec 22, 2014
1. Open Your my Computer.
2. Goto System Properties.
3. Open Advance system settings.(for win Vista/7/8/8.1/10)
4. Goto Advanced Tab and Open Environment
Variables.
05. Then Click on New under User variables and Set Variable Name :
Path and Set Variable Value : C:\Program
Files \Java\jdk1.7.0_25\bin (The
Directory In which your JDK is installed. Yours might be different from mine)
06. And Click OK , OK and that’s it. It will be then
Set.
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by asalimpo(m): 12:13am On Dec 23, 2014
ahmmyreal:
Variables.
05. Then Click on New under User variables and Set Variable Name :
Set.
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by asalimpo(m): 12:14am On Dec 23, 2014
ahmmyreal:
Variables.

05. Then Click on New
under User variables and Set Variable Name :
Set.

you shouldnt create a new variable .
For windows 7 and earlier,
there,s a path variable under system properties.
Click it then copy the full path to the jdk compiler and paste it at the end of the value textfield,with other values there. End with a semi colon.

The path to the jdk should be
rootdrive: /program files/.../java/java-version/bin/
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by whyohme: 12:38pm On Dec 23, 2014
asalimpo:

you shouldnt create a new variable .
For windows 7 and earlier,
there,s a path variable under system properties.
Click it then copy the full path to the jdk compiler and paste it at the end of the value textfield,with other values there. End with a semi colon.

The path to the jdk should be
rootdrive: /program files/.../java/java-version/bin/
My current PATH is -- C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin
And I'd try what you suggested
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by asalimpo(m): 2:03pm On Dec 23, 2014
after editing the Path variable ,in the Advanced settings, restart your system before tryingna recomplie again. The settings maynt register if u dont reboot ur system.
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by GodMode: 3:00pm On Dec 23, 2014
whyohme:

My current PATH is -- C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0\bin
And I'd try what you suggested

- Go to start
- type cmd and click it to run command prompt.
- after cmd loads type javac and press enter.

Tell us if u get an error message or not.
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by whyohme: 4:24pm On Dec 23, 2014
How can I ever thank you guys? You just did the BOMB!!!!!! I've been on it for like -- 20 hours... and within few minutes (with your help) I'm done!! Thanks guys!!

2 Likes

Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by haibe(m): 7:00am On Dec 24, 2014
whyohme:
How can I ever thank you guys? You just did the BOMB!!!!!! I've been on it for like -- 20 hours... and within few minutes (with your help) I'm done!! Thanks guys!!
u can start using eclipse instead of Command line, it's better
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by asalimpo(m): 7:47am On Dec 24, 2014
haibe:
u can start using eclipse instead of Command line, it's better
i would advice otherwise. Stay with command line until you're conversant with it before switching to an ide.
Know how to compile a class
compile a package
jar files
put libraries in your classpath
deploy complete apps
use basic command switches e.g
dir, dir <extension>, copy etc
(on windows)
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by haibe(m): 8:50am On Dec 24, 2014
asalimpo:

i would advice otherwise. Stay with command line until you're conversant with it before switching to an ide.
Know how to compile a class
compile a package
jar files
put libraries in your classpath
deploy complete apps
use basic command switches e.g
dir, dir <extension>, copy etc
(on windows)

ok just that I feel it may discourage new users as it's difficult to identify errors using command line
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by asalimpo(m): 10:21am On Dec 24, 2014
haibe:

ok just that I feel it may discourage new users as it's difficult to identify errors using command line

it's a rite of passage thingi so tht they know what's agwan under d hood. And know how to drop down to tht level should d need ever be.
Re: Guys Pleaseeeee I Need To Understand This Java Thing! by trytillmake(m): 2:13pm On Dec 29, 2014
ok let me drop my little contribution i think the book to get u started is Learn to Program with Java: John Smiley[he is a prof and the book was written as if he is in a classroom teaching a groupof students within a period of weeks].I guarantee u if u can go through it uwill start writing java in no time

Learn to Program with Java: John Smiley download here [url]http://bookzz.org/s/?q=Learn+to+Program+with+Java%3A+John+Smiley&t=0[/url] [it is an epub version u can convert to pdf with online tools if u cant drop yr mail i will send u the pdf version]

Also to get u started free again try this site http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/java/java.html u will get all the java tutorials in no time

If u want videos get them free here https://www.udemy.com/courses/search/?q=java&p=1&price=price-free&view=list

So now no more excuses, i should think yr needs have been met

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Can't Download This Video / Visual Basic Help Pls. Other Languages Can Try Too / Vb.net Is Tryin To Frustrate My Programming Desire. Pls Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.