Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,369 members, 7,812,069 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:37 AM

What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? (9990 Views)

Sylva Mocks Oshiomhole: What You Can’t Achieve, A Military Man Did / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri / David Mark As A Military Officer (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 10:19pm On Dec 22, 2014
So much has been said about GEJ's academic qualification and GMB's non(?) University qualifications. What people fail to realise is that military institutions also award educational certificates. For instance NDA Kaduna even offers PhD courses. A fresh cadet out of NDA is a full graduate with a degree(not university degree by the way). So why are some dumb Nigerians still insisting that GMB does not have any qualification even with the multiple military institutions he attended around the world? Or is it because he did not attent an ASUU run institution? If you don't know, better ask questions please rather than looking stupid. All those criticising GMB based on paper qualifications realy don't know what they are saying.
I'm not a supporter of any of them. I just want to clarify issues.

11 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Beesluv: 10:30pm On Dec 22, 2014
Civilian vs Military degree
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Abduletudaye(m): 10:34pm On Dec 22, 2014
undecided

I don't really care..I just need a good president..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 22, 2014
Let me read comments
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Horizona001(m): 10:55pm On Dec 22, 2014
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by haitto99(m): 11:15pm On Dec 22, 2014
Infact u hv to right jamb to get into the NDA now.............dey are almost if not equivalent,I see dis thread hitting front page

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by slimfit1(m): 11:21pm On Dec 22, 2014
Illiterate calling literate illiterates I don't get it. We have lawyers and doctors in the military even engineers so I don't get how pdp employ clueless people as there online campaigners.

14 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by slimfit1(m): 11:23pm On Dec 22, 2014
Beesluv:
Civilian vs Military degree

military can work anywhere civilians can't how difficult is that.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Dec 22, 2014
Of what relevance is a degree when the holder of such degree can't replicate his skills practically? Honestly, I am not interested in Bsc, Phds, SSCE, MSC etc, all I want is a good administrator with passion to serve and to lead. Give Me Buhari anyday...

10 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by haitto99(m): 11:57pm On Dec 22, 2014
barcanista:
Of what relevance is a degree when the holder of such degree can't replicate his skills practically? Honestly, I am not interested in Bsc, Phds, SSCE, MSC etc, all I want is a good administrator with passion to serve and to lead. Give Me Buhari anyday...
true talk

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Duru1(m): 2:14am On Dec 23, 2014
dekronik:
So much has been said about GEJ's academic qualification and GMB's non(?) University qualifications. What people fail to realise is that military institutions also award educational certificates. For instance NDA Kaduna even offers PhD courses. A fresh cadet out of NDA is a full graduate with a degree(not university degree by the way). So why are some dumb Nigerians still insisting that GMB does not have any qualification even with the multiple military institutions he attended around the world? Or is it because he did not attent an ASUU run institution? If you don't know, better ask questions please rather than looking stupid. All those criticising GMB based on paper qualifications realy don't know what they are saying.

The above post exudes stark ignorance relative to Nigerians. The writer could have stopped with a question and avoid making suggestive statements especially with the comment about Buhari.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 6:34am On Dec 23, 2014
Duru1:

The above post exudes stark ignorance relative to Nigerians. The writer could have stopped with a question and avoid making suggestive statements especially with the comment about Buhari.

I have said I am not a supporter of any of them, I'm just clarifying issues. David Mark is a graduate of NDA, have you ever seen anywhere where they have called his degree in his CV? If you say I'm ignorant then illuminate me with your knowledge Mr Know-all.
People don't realise that the military as an institution is a highly structured body with all manner of proffessionals. Do you know that in some foreign countries its the military that bulds bridges and some form of contruction work. Ask youself why US sent 3000 soldiers to Liberia to tackle Ebola virus when there are many civilian doctors in US. Its because those sent are proffessional doctors and nurses even though they are soldiers. Hey friend, you are the one that's ignorant here please. Like I said, I'm not a supporter of any and I'm not APC or PDP either. I laugh when I read that PDP called GMB a semi-illitrate. What defines an illitrate? So all the courses he attended in US, UK, India etc are almajiri courses right. If after attending all those courses he is still a "semi-illitrate" then I think those countries should close down those institutions because they churn out "semi--llitrates". I don't blame them. Its the Nigerian mentality. A country were gradutes of polytechnic are hindered from fulfilling their potentials just because there is no "BSc" in their CV. I will vote for a groundnut seller if he gives me a credible manifesto. Its not about BSc or B.Tech. This nation is realy a joke.

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by RockMaxi: 6:43am On Dec 23, 2014
Of what essence is a Ph.D detested by other holders of such designate. To the extent of saying Jonathan is a disgrace to Ph.D holders".

6 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 7:33am On Dec 23, 2014
barcanista:

On point. With the exception of the last sentence.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 23, 2014
dekronik:

On point. With the exception of the last sentence.
Get used to it boss
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Deapexboy(m): 7:58am On Dec 23, 2014
GEJ hold a degree in zoology(studying animals)...d major reason he can't perform is because we ain't animal ni#buhari till fowl grow teeth#

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by mayorall(m): 8:01am On Dec 23, 2014
Why all this?. Certificate does not show human knowledge. Only shows literary.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by vedaxcool(m): 8:13am On Dec 23, 2014
If gej was given a poultry to manage, the entire stock would die prematurely, the only reason majority of Nigerians haven't died due to gej cluelessness is because we are humans and have initiative to survive his incompetence!

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dridowu: 8:20am On Dec 23, 2014
Degree or No degree, what i need is quality leader, not a leader that will be ill-informed by his aides.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by san316(m): 9:46am On Dec 23, 2014
the difference is the output.

military degree gives u technical skills in your field just like poly. they concentrate on practicals(combat and strategy) and a graduate may not be too good with paper works and grammar.

Civilian degree, concentrate on theory and less on practicals. someone may have a degree but have no idea what he has studied. civilian degree does not really instill discipline instead, it makes people proud and limit their scope of life.

I have a civilian degree, my views don't apply to me.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Duru1(m): 2:42pm On Dec 23, 2014
dekronik:

I have said I am not a supporter of any of them, I'm just clarifying issues. David Mark is a graduate of NDA, have you ever seen anywhere where they have called his degree in his CV? If you say I'm ignorant then illuminate me with your knowledge Mr Know-all.
People don't realise that the military as an institution is a highly structured body with all manner of proffessionals. Do you know that in some foreign countries its the military that bulds bridges and some form of contruction work. Ask youself why US sent 3000 soldiers to Liberia to tackle Ebola virus when there are many civilian doctors in US. Its because those sent are proffessional doctors and nurses even though they are soldiers. Hey friend, you are the one that's ignorant here please. Like I said, I'm not a supporter of any and I'm not APC or PDP either. I laugh when I read that PDP called GMB a semi-illitrate. What defines an illitrate? So all the courses he attended in US, UK, India etc are almajiri courses right. If after attending all those courses he is still a "semi-illitrate" then I think those countries should close down those institutions because they churn out "semi--llitrates". I don't blame them. Its the Nigerian mentality. A country were gradutes of polytechnic are hindered from fulfilling their potentials just because there is no "BSc" in their CV. I will vote for a groundnut seller if he gives me a credible manifesto. Its not about BSc or B.Tech. This nation is realy a joke.

Did you find out if David Mark attended NDA when the institution became "degree-awarding entity"? You also magnified your inherent ignorance when you referenced USA in your ignorant rant. The West Point, Naval Academy and Air Force Academy are all degree-awarding institutions. There are many other military institutions in USA that award degrees in every discipline such as Citadel etc. Even many universities offer military training and courses under (ROTC) that enable students to become 2nd lieutenant on graduation. By the way, NDA recently turned into degree awarding institution.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 8:30pm On Dec 23, 2014
Duru1:

Did you find out if David Mark attended NDA when the institution became "degree-awarding entity"? You also magnified your inherent ignorance when you referenced USA in your ignorant rant. The West Point, Naval Academy and Air Force Academy are all degree-awarding institutions. There are many other military institutions in USA that award degrees in every discipline such as Citadel etc. Even many universities offer military training and courses under (ROTC) that enable students to become 2nd lieutenant on graduation. By the way, NDA recently turned into degree awarding institution.

Your mind is already made up so there is no convincing you. Every certificate awarded by a military institution usually has an equivalent "civilian" certificate. A Lieutenant course in any Military Academy world over is equivalent to bachelors degree in the "civilian life", this is something everyone knows. But you are a typical Nigerian so you won't understand. You want "B.Sc" to be wriiten on the paper before you call him a "graduate" or "educated man". Such shame.

7 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Duru1(m): 9:10pm On Dec 23, 2014
dekronik:

Your mind is already made up so there is no convincing you. Every certificate awarded by a military institution usually has an equivalent "civilian" certificate. A Lieutenant course in any Military Academy world over is equivalent to bachelors degree in the "civilian life", this is something everyone knows. But you are a typical Nigerian so you won't understand. You want "B.Sc" to be wriiten on the paper before you call him a "graduate" or "educated man". Such shame.

There was a time NDA was merely HSC or even less because there were enlisted men who did not obtain high school certificate that passed through NDA. I do not know if Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, UK is now a degree-awarding institution because it was strictly for regular combatant officers. Even the Royal Military Academy, Aldershort, UK was structured for enlisted soldiers who rose in rank and individuals with university degree.

In USA, a degree from West Point, Naval Academy or Air Force Academy is equivalent to degree certificate offered by any civilian university. In fact, I had preferred degree offered by military institution to a degree offered by most civilian universities.

There is nothing such as “ a lieutenant course” in military academy or universities that offer military courses. There is a known university in Texas which offers academic programs that transverse both military and civilian. Every student goes through the standard curricula while additional military courses are meted to students under ROTC. At the end of individual programs, the students are awarded degrees in various discipline including military certificate for those under ROTC.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by meforyou1(m): 9:14pm On Dec 23, 2014
Buhari the semi-illiterate has only a school cert and a certificate of attendance
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Olaolufred(m): 9:22pm On Dec 23, 2014
slimfit1:
Illiterate calling literate illiterates I don't get it. We have lawyers and doctors in the military even engineers so I don't get how pdp employ clueless people as there online campaigners.

NDA graduates are first degree holder.

short service men came through conventional universities with degree.
starts a 2nd lieutenant.

promotion favours NDA graduates more than the conventional graduates.

You cant say anybody who had gone to NDA is illiterate.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by sphinx54: 9:31pm On Dec 23, 2014
OP are you are fool? Don't you know NDA is a university? You are just spewing trash! May your mouth slack for saying rubbish. Say amen.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by naptu2: 9:37pm On Dec 23, 2014
Additional questions.

1) How did Olusegun Obasanjo become an engineer and a surveyor?

2) Why did Olusegun Obasanjo register for a post-graduate diploma in theology at the National Open University of Nigeria in 2009, if he wasn't already a graduate?

3) How did Muhammadu Buhari gain admission into the US Army War College if he wasn't a graduate.

4) Why do people who study management courses (business administration, public administration, etc) study military organisation and administration?

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by naptu2: 10:05pm On Dec 23, 2014
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by slimfit1(m): 1:38am On Dec 24, 2014
Olaolufred:

NDA graduates are first degree holder.

short service men came through conventional universities with degree.
starts a 2nd lieutenant.

promotion favours NDA graduates more than the conventional graduates.

You cant say anybody who had gone to NDA is illiterate.
tell pdp people that brother

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by tonte(m): 1:52am On Dec 24, 2014
Buhari did not attend NDA, He attended a military academy in the UK, for 18 months and it was purely military studies...NDA became a degree awarding institution not very long ago

dekronik:

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by naptu2: 4:53am On Dec 24, 2014
tonte:
Buhari did not attend NDA, He attended a military academy in the UK, for 18 months and it was purely military studies...NDA became a degree awarding institution not very long ago

Partly correct.

Buhari, like Obasanjo, attended the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, India (it is affiliated to the University of Madras and it awards degrees in Defence and Strategic Studies). That's the "purely military studies" school.

The school he attended in the UK was the Army Mechanical and Transport School (it trains people to be mechanics, military drivers, etc). Obasanjo attended the Royal School of Military Engineering (which awards degrees in engineering) and the Royal School of Military Survey, both in the UK.

Buhari later attended the US Army War College, a post graduate institution, which awards masters degrees in strategic studies.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria And Niger Republic To Partner In Uranium Exploration / Fulanization Agenda Only Exists On Minds Of PDP, Obasanjo – Kachi Iheme / Ifeanyi Ejiofor: Nnamdi Kanu Needs Advanced Medical Care

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.