Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,179 members, 7,829,230 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? (10076 Views)

Sylva Mocks Oshiomhole: What You Can’t Achieve, A Military Man Did / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri / David Mark As A Military Officer (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 6:13am On Dec 24, 2014
naptu2:

Partly correct.

Buhari, like Obasanjo, attended the Defence Services Staff College, Wellington, India (it is affiliated to the University of Madras and it awards degrees in Defence and Strategic Studies). That's the "purely military studies" school.

The school he attended in the UK was the Army Mechanical and Transport School (it trains people to be mechanics, military drivers, etc). Obasanjo attended the Royal School of Military Engineering (which awards degrees in engineering) and the Royal School of Military Survey, both in the UK.

Buhari later attended the US Army War College, a post graduate institution, which awards masters degrees in strategic studies.

From the above, we can see that the allegation by PDP of someone being a semi-illitrate is just hogwash. How can you attend respected institutions worldwide and still be called a semi-illitrate? This prof has shown limitations in his knowledge. We are here to clarify to some stereotyped Nigerians who think you MUST go to a university before you are caLled an educated man/woman. I only used GMB vs PDP as a suitable example.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 6:19am On Dec 24, 2014
barcanista:
Get used to it boss

I'm personaly believe in generational change. I would prefer an under 50 president.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by oyinkel(m): 6:24am On Dec 24, 2014
If animals were our problem then the degree of a zoologist would have sell in a time like this. But where bombs and guns threatens the very life of the common man..........a military degree is the qualification of consequence. #GMB

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 6:29am On Dec 24, 2014
Duru1:

There was a time NDA was merely HSC or even less because there were enlisted men who did not obtain high school certificate that passed through NDA. I do not know if Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, UK is now a degree-awarding institution because it was strictly for regular combatant officers. Even the Royal Military Academy, Aldershort, UK was structured for enlisted soldiers who rose in rank and individuals with university degree.

In USA, a degree from West Point, Naval Academy or Air Force Academy is equivalent to degree certificate offered by any civilian university. In fact, I had preferred degree offered by military institution to a degree offered by most civilian universities.

There is nothing such as “ a lieutenant course” in military academy or universities that offer military courses. There is a known university in Texas which offers academic programs that transverse both military and civilian. Every student goes through the standard curricula while additional military courses are meted to students under ROTC. At the end of individual programs, the students are awarded degrees in various discipline including military certificate for those under ROTC.

What are you saying in essence? I believe you are just going round in cycles. What I mean by "Lieutenant course" refers to all training and exams needed for a cadet to pass out as a (2nd)Lieutenant. The same way Police Inspectors(Diploma) attend Police Academy for "Suprintendant course" and pass out as Asistant Superintendant of Police ASP(Degree). What is there to be confused about. Or you insist they must write "B.Sc" on there certificates or what. We are basically saying the same thing here.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 6:34am On Dec 24, 2014
naptu2:
Additional questions.

1) How did Olusegun Obasanjo become an engineer and a surveyor?

2) Why did Olusegun Obasanjo register for a post-graduate diploma in theology at the National Open University of Nigeria in 2009, if he wasn't already a graduate?

3) How did Muhammadu Buhari gain admission into the US Army War College if he wasn't a graduate.

4) Why do people who study management courses (business administration, public administration, etc) study military organisation and administration?

Valid questions. Any officer on NL should please enlighten us more. It seems some people are hell bent on discrediting military certificates.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 6:39am On Dec 24, 2014
For the records, NDA started awarding their cadets "university degrees" in 1985. That is not to say past cadets did not have degree equivalents.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Defence_Academy
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by naptu2: 7:19am On Dec 24, 2014
dekronik:
For the records, NDA started awarding their cadets "university degrees" in 1985. That is not to say past cadets did not have degree equivalents.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Defence_Academy

True, but it's not just about the NDA. What makes a degree that's awarded in Nigeria valid?

The answer is that the degree awarding institution (and the course itself) must have been accredited by the Nigerian Universities Commission (NUC) and by relevant professional bodies (in the case of courses such as medicine and engineering). The NDA has been accredited by the NUC (repeatedly) for first degree courses. In fact, the NUC recently accredited the NDA's postgraduate courses.

http://www.ngscholars.com/2013/04/nuc-finally-approves-nigerian-defence-academy-nda-postgraduate-programmes/

But note that the main postgraduate military school in Nigeria is the National War College (now known as the National Defence College).
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by ndidibabe(f): 7:22am On Dec 24, 2014
dekronik:

I have said I am not a supporter of any of them, I'm just clarifying issues. David Mark is a graduate of NDA, have you ever seen anywhere where they have called his degree in his CV? If you say I'm ignorant then illuminate me with your knowledge Mr Know-all.
People don't realise that the military as an institution is a highly structured body with all manner of proffessionals. Do you know that in some foreign countries its the military that bulds bridges and some form of contruction work. Ask youself why US sent 3000 soldiers to Liberia to tackle Ebola virus when there are many civilian doctors in US. Its because those sent are proffessional doctors and nurses even though they are soldiers. Hey friend, you are the one that's ignorant here please. Like I said, I'm not a supporter of any and I'm not APC or PDP either. I laugh when I read that PDP called GMB a semi-illitrate. What defines an illitrate? So all the courses he attended in US, UK, India etc are almajiri courses right. If after attending all those courses he is still a "semi-illitrate" then I think those countries should close down those institutions because they churn out "semi--llitrates". I don't blame them. Its the Nigerian mentality. A country were gradutes of polytechnic are hindered from fulfilling their potentials just because there is no "BSc" in their CV. I will vote for a groundnut seller if he gives me a credible manifesto. Its not about BSc or B.Tech. This nation is realy a joke.
Crap!
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by naptu2: 7:51am On Dec 24, 2014
List of NDA postgraduate courses that have been accredited by the NUC.

a.    Department of Chemistry.

(1)    Full-Time.

I.   MSc/PhD Organic Chemistry.

II.    MSc Material Science and Explosives

III.  MSc/PhD Analytical Chemistry.

IV.   MSc/PhD Inorganic Chemistry.

V.   MSc Environmental Chemistry.

VI.    MSc Environmental Chemistry.

(2)    Part-Time

PGD forensic Chemistry  

i.    Department of Mathematics/Computer Science

b.    Department of Mathematics/Computer Science

(1)    Full-Time.

I.    MSc Pure Mathematics

II.    MSc Mathematics(Operations Research)

c.    Department of Physics.

(1)    Full-Time.

(i)    Msc/PhD Theoretical Physics.

(ii)    MSc/PhD Nuclear and Radiation Physics

(iii)    Msc/PhD Solid State Physics.

d.    Department of Biological Sciences.

(1)    Full-Time.

(a)    MSc Medicinal and Poisonous Plants Studies.

(b)    MSc Biotechnology.

(c)    Msc Parasitology.

e.        Department of Electrical/Electronics Engineering.

(1) Full-Time.

(a)    MEng /PhD Electronics and Communications Engineering.

(b)    MEng /PhD Electrical Power Systems Engineering.

(2)    Part-Time.  PGD Electrical/Electronic Engineering.

f.    Department of Economics and Management Sciences.

(1)    Full-Time.

(a)    Msc/PhD Accounting.

(b)    Msc/PhD Economics.

(2)    Part-Time.

(a)    Masters in Business Administration.

(b)    PGD Banking and Finance.

(c)    PGD Management.

g. Department of Geography.

(1).  Full-Time.

(a)    Msc/PhD Military Geography.

(b)    Msc/PhD Geography in Remote Sensing/GIS.

(c)    Msc/PhD Geography in Climatology

(d)    Msc/PhD Urban Geography

(e)    Msc/PhD Geography in Population Studies

(f)    Msc/PhD Geography in Environmental Management

.(2).  Part-Time.  

(a) PGD Environmental Management.

(b) PGD Geography in Remote Sensing/GISH.

Department of History and International Studies.

(1).  Full-Time.

(a)    MA/PhD Military History.

(b)    MA/PhD International Studies.

(2).  Part-Time.

(d)    Masters in Development Studies.

I. Department of Political Science and Defence Studies.

(1).  Full-Time.

(a)    MSc/PhD Defence and Strategic Studies.

(2).  Part-Time.

(a)    PGD Public Administration.

(b)    Masters in Public Administration.

(c)    Masters in Strategy and Security Administration.

(d)    Masters in International Affairs and Strategic Studies.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by ERockson: 8:09am On Dec 24, 2014
dekronik:

I have said I am not a supporter of any of them, I'm just clarifying issues. David Mark is a graduate of NDA, have you ever seen anywhere where they have called his degree in his CV? If you say I'm ignorant then illuminate me with your knowledge Mr Know-all.
People don't realise that the military as an institution is a highly structured body with all manner of proffessionals. Do you know that in some foreign countries its the military that bulds bridges and some form of contruction work. Ask youself why US sent 3000 soldiers to Liberia to tackle Ebola virus when there are many civilian doctors in US. Its because those sent are proffessional doctors and nurses even though they are soldiers. Hey friend, you are the one that's ignorant here please. Like I said, I'm not a supporter of any and I'm not APC or PDP either. I laugh when I read that PDP called GMB a semi-illitrate. What defines an illitrate? So all the courses he attended in US, UK, India etc are almajiri courses right. If after attending all those courses he is still a "semi-illitrate" then I think those countries should close down those institutions because they churn out "semi--llitrates". I don't blame them. Its the Nigerian mentality. A country were gradutes of polytechnic are hindered from fulfilling their potentials just because there is no "BSc" in their CV. I will vote for a groundnut seller if he gives me a credible manifesto. Its not about BSc or B.Tech. This nation is realy a joke.

You should have informed us GMB profession since they have a lot of military officers that are professional. was GMB an Engineer , Economist or what
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 10:15am On Dec 24, 2014
ERockson:

You should have informed us GMB profession since they have a lot of military officers that are professional. was GMB an Engineer , Economist or what

I only used GMB as an example due to the false(?) notion that he is a semi-illitrate. I don't know which proffessional sector of the army he belonged. One thing I am certain of is he would not have attained the rank of General without going through the necessary Army higher cadre(post-graduate) exams. Just the same way that in the civil service, a diploma holder can NEVER rise to the rank of Permanent Secretary without furthering his education.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 24, 2014
Thread bookmarked
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Melancholy(m): 10:50am On Dec 24, 2014
Naptu2 u making me a prospective student of NDA some day, coupled with some comments in here that served as eye-opener, am having a flare for this military institution. Pls list courses accredited by NUC for a diploma graduate like me. Thanks
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by naptu2: 10:52am On Dec 24, 2014
Melancholy:
Naptu2 u making me a prospective student of NDA some day, coupled with some comments in here that served as eye-opener, am having a flare for this military institution. Pls list courses accredited by NUC for a diploma graduate like me. Thanks

I will later in the day when I'm free.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Ngwakwe: 10:53am On Dec 24, 2014
There is a great deference between attendance/admission and passing out with a certificate/diploma/degree.

Why are repackaging agents so eager to speak for Buhari when there are two indicting statements against his academic qualifications.

1. Babangida said he took the exams but couldn't pass
Then
2. PDP called him semi illiterate.

Is Buhari dumb that he can't answer for himself

The people's general is looking for employment in our company Nigeria and is required to answer all questions and provide proof if any.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Melancholy(m): 10:55am On Dec 24, 2014
naptu2:

I will later in the day when I'm free.
Okay!
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Duru1(m): 12:26pm On Dec 24, 2014
dekronik:

I only used GMB as an example due to the false(?) notion that he is a semi-illitrate. I don't know which proffessional sector of the army he belonged. One thing I am certain of is he would not have attained the rank of General without going through the necessary Army higher cadre(post-graduate) exams. Just the same way that in the civil service, a diploma holder can NEVER rise to the rank of Permanent Secretary without furthering his education.

As much as I know, GMB does not have a first degree that is equivalent to university first degree. Due to nepotistic endeavors by the NPC in the 60s, Buhari was smuggled into Royal Military Academy, Aldershort, UK. The military academy was structured to admit enlisted NCOs and individuals with university degree. At the time Buhari was admitted into the school, GMB was neither an enlisted NCO nor a university degree holder. GMB is epitome of human fraud created by the Northern People’s Congress (NPC) in the 60s.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Duru1(m): 12:59pm On Dec 24, 2014
dekronik:

What are you saying in essence? I believe you are just going round in cycles. What I mean by "Lieutenant course" refers to all training and exams needed for a cadet to pass out as a (2nd)Lieutenant. The same way Police Inspectors(Diploma) attend Police Academy for "Suprintendant course" and pass out as Asistant Superintendant of Police ASP(Degree). What is there to be confused about. Or you insist they must write "B.Sc" on there certificates or what. We are basically saying the same thing here.

The above post clearly showed you are terribly confused. Please the educational structure in the armed forces is different from the police. As much as I know, police college does not award certificate equivalent to university first degree. What police have in police college is equivalent to Direct Short Service (DSS) in the armed forces via NDA. An enlisted NCO does not obtain a degree after going through one or two year course in NDA because it was not a degree -awarding program. However regular course cadets, mostly out of high school with good grades, go through four year of degree-awarding program in NDA.

There are police sergeants and inspectors that attend police college and after completion of the training are promoted to "Trainee Assistant Superintendent" while their colleagues who had university degree before being admitted into police college are promoted "Assistant Superintendent".

One of the USA president obtained BS in Nuclear Engineering from Naval Academy. In addition, the same naval academy produced the man who pioneered the introduction of nuclear plant on submarines.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 6:59pm On Dec 24, 2014
Ngwakwe:
There is a great deference between attendance/admission and passing out with a certificate/diploma/degree.

Why are repackaging agents so eager to speak for Buhari when there are two indicting statements against his academic qualifications.

Then

The people's general is looking for employment in our company Nigeria and is required to answer all questions and provide proof if any.

Apart from WAEC and NECO, which exam body will give certificate if you faill your exams. Has anyone who failed all his exams ever passed out from a university? So if he failed(?) Those exams how come he passed from those institutes. Its either he re-wrote the carry over courses or someone is lying.
I would prefer we don't personalise the thread on GMB alone. Let's clarify the knotty issues of university qualification vs military qualification.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Ngwakwe: 7:39pm On Dec 24, 2014
dekronik:

Apart from WAEC and NECO, which exam body will give certificate if you faill your exams. Has anyone who failed all his exams ever passed out from a university? So if he failed(?) Those exams how come he passed from those institutes. Its either he re-wrote the carry over courses or someone is lying.
I would prefer we don't personalise the thread on GMB alone. Let's clarify the knotty issues of university qualification vs military qualification.

Some professional training earns you certificate of participation or professional diploma and moreover most don't require thesis or exams rather group project.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:43pm On Dec 24, 2014
Duru1:

The above post exudes stark ignorance relative to Nigerians. The writer could have stopped with a question and avoid making suggestive statements especially with the comment about Buhari.
Aren't you Nigerian or are you admitting that the idiocy DNA is embedded in yall? I'm asking because your post sounds exactly like what you criticized: full of stark ignorance.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:45pm On Dec 24, 2014
Duru1:

As much as I know, GMB does not have a first degree that is equivalent to university first degree. Due to nepotistic endeavors by the NPC in the 60s, Buhari was smuggled into Royal Military Academy, Aldershort, UK. The military academy was structured to admit enlisted NCOs and individuals with university degree. At the time Buhari was admitted into the school, GMB was neither an enlisted NCO nor a university degree holder. GMB is epitome of human fraud created by the Northern People’s Congress (NPC) in the 60s.
And how many of yalls officers at the time were University Graduates?
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 24, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Then

Seriously Ngwakwe? Why do you make silly comments like all these male teenage nairalanders who migrated from romance section to politics section? Even the cretin temitemi can do better than this!
Haba!!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:53pm On Dec 24, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Then

Ngwakwe cannot differentiate between "Difference" and "Deference", yet, he wants to call others uneducated.

This topic is out of your league. Shouldn't you be somewhere knocking on doors trying to convert people to worship Jehova or whatever it is your cult worships?

P.S: IBB will never say those things your kin made up about Buhari.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by ISpiksDaTroof: 7:54pm On Dec 24, 2014
berem:
Seriously Ngwakwe? Why do you make silly comments like all these male teenage nairalanders who migrated from romance section to politics section? Even the cretin temitemi can do better than this!
Haba!!

One reason:

Unbridled hate.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Dec 24, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:

One reason:

Unbridled hate.
honestly it is very annoying! Smh

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by ISpiksDaTroof: 8:16pm On Dec 24, 2014
berem:
I have never in my life witnessed evil emanate from people's hearts through their fingertips like I have on NL from these guys.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Ngwakwe: 8:21pm On Dec 24, 2014
berem:
Haba!!

Any thread you register your presence becomes unintelligible and uninformative.

Little damsel, be it known to you this day that there is difference between debate and gossip.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by dekronik: 2:35pm On Dec 25, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Some professional training earns you certificate of participation or professional diploma and moreover most don't require thesis or exams rather group project.

With this your level of thinking, how did Seun make you a mode?
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Duru1(m): 2:46pm On Dec 25, 2014
ISpiksDaTroof:
And how many of yalls officers at the time were University Graduates?

Another troll on the loose. I do not monkey with basement fools. If you are really endowed with human intellect as you want us to believe, ordinary search on Nairaland would give you the number of Nigerian soldiers who had university degree in 60s.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Duru1(m): 2:51pm On Dec 25, 2014
berem:

What is really annoying is the level of knowledge or lack thereof you and ilk have shown on the subject matter.
Re: What Is The Difference Between A University Degree And A Military Degree? by Ngwakwe: 3:37pm On Dec 25, 2014
dekronik:

With this your level of thinking, how did Seun make you a mode?

You just lost your cool and have gone personal instead of critical thinking.
At least post-graduate counselling and training is part of my profession.

Buhari does not need and won't benefit from virulent bad-mouthers and attack dogs who will only be rekindling the labels of intolerance and extremism being levied against him by his detractors.

Gosh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ajimobi Allegedly 'duped' 20,000 Students In Name Of Bursary – Oyo Students / INEC Suspend Ekiti By Election / I Won’t Quit Politics Until Sustainable Democracy Is Entrenched - Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.