Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,122 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? (864 Views)

Did Christ Actually Take Away The Sins Of The World? / Was Christ Jesus Rich As Stated By Dr. Fireman / Is it true that Jesus was not actually born on December 25th? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by Nobody: 8:42am On Dec 25, 2014
The Bible’s answer
The Bible does not give a specific date for the birth of Jesus Christ, as these reference works show:

“The true birth date of Christ is unknown.”—New Catholic Encyclopedia.
“The exact date of Christ’s birth is not known.”—Encyclopedia of Early Christianity.
While the Bible does not directly answer the question, ‘When was Jesus born?’ it does describe two events surrounding his birth that lead many to conclude that he was not born on December 25.

Not in winter

The registration. Shortly before Jesus was born, Caesar Augustus issued a decree ordering “all the inhabited earth to be registered.” Everyone had to register in “his own city,” which might have required a journey of a week or more. (Luke 2:1-3) That order—probably made to support taxation and military conscription—would have been unpopular at any time of year, but it is unlikely that Augustus would have provoked his subjects further by forcing many of them to make long trips during the cold winter.
The sheep. Shepherds were “living out of doors and keeping watches in the night over their flocks.” (Luke 2:cool The book Daily Life in the Time of Jesus notes that flocks lived in the open air from “the week before the Passover [late March]” through mid-November. It then adds: “They passed the winter under cover; and from this alone it may be seen that the traditional date for Christmas, in the winter, is unlikely to be right, since the Gospel says that the shepherds were in the fields.”
In early fall

We can estimate when Jesus was born by counting backward from his death on Passover, Nisan 14 in the spring of the year 33 C.E. (John 19:14-16) Jesus was about 30 years old when he began his three-and-a-half-year ministry, so he was born in the early fall of 2 B.C.E.—Luke 3:23.

Why is Christmas on December 25?
Since there is no evidence that the birth of Jesus Christ occurred on December 25, why is Christmas celebrated on this date? The Encyclopædia Britannica says that church leaders probably chose it “to coincide with the pagan Roman festival marking the ‘birthday of the unconquered sun,’” at the time of the winter solstice. According to The Encyclopedia Americana, many scholars believe that this was done “in order to make Christianity more meaningful to pagan converts.”
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by egift(m): 8:53am On Dec 25, 2014
December 25th is not Jesus birthday, but a day set aside to remember his birth and celebrate the gift of salvation from God to mankind.

Happy Celebration. Sai Buhari 2015.
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 25, 2014
There is no proof that there was ever a 'Jesus Christ' born on this earth.

If you claim to have the proof, furnish it.
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by Eziachi: 8:57am On Dec 25, 2014
I found out this fact over 30 years ago and never celebrated Christmas ever again as a Christian, especially when I asked a bishop here in England about it and he admitted that it's true but what matters was we got to choose a day to have fun and celebrate his birth was his response.
No one has ever allowed a random date chosen as theirs birthday by someone else who want to have fun without even consulting the person.

It was a shocking response for me, that for centuries, many had believed this as fact only to find out that the Romans just made it up and changed a pagan celebration into Christ birthday.

A celebration Christ himself never did neither his followers through out the first century until the Roman pagans executed the real Christians and hijacked the faith as the super power of the time. Now I do not even go to any church because it seems most of there teaching are not scripturally based but old medieval European cultures.

And the Evangelical ones only preach materialism and circular nonsensical thing and all things centered around celebrity figure of the owner calling himself or herself man of God.
I might try Jehovah' s Witnesses. They seemed to be very different from others from what I can see about them over the years.
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by TVTKOKO(m): 9:05am On Dec 25, 2014
ROSSIKE:

dats your f*cking bizz! You sure hav your mouth to whine!

Dnt knw d prob. Of these muslim peeps sef...abeg no spoil my enjoymentation o

and 4 ur info,wether Jesus was born in january,july,or was nt even born at all, that's your own cup of tea!!!
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 25, 2014
TVTKOKO:
dats your f*cking bizz! You sure hav your mouth to whine!

Dnt knw d prob. Of these muslim peeps sef...abeg no spoil my enjoymentation o

and 4 ur info,wether Jesus was born in january,july,or was nt even born at all, that's your own cup of tea!!!

Sorry for expecting you to employ your grey matter in this time of 'celebration'.

I'm not a muslim by the way.
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by malvisguy212: 9:43am On Dec 25, 2014
ROSSIKE:

ROSSIKE:

ROSSIKE:

there are prove,the B.C and A.D are one of them.
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 25, 2014
malvisguy212:
[code][/code] there are prove,the B.C and A.D are one of them.

Firstly, it's ''there is proof'', not ''there are prove''. Secondly, the use of AD and BC is not proof of anything. All it shows is that some people classified time based on when they claimed Jesus was born.
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by malvisguy212: 11:30am On Dec 25, 2014
ROSSIKE:

Firstly, it's ''there is proof'', not ''there are prove''. Secondly, the use of AD and BC is not proof of anything. All it shows is that some people classified time based on when they claimed Jesus was born.
are you wiser than the historian? This guys wouldn't put something that is not accurate on the calender without enough prove.
Re: Was Christ Actually Born On 25 December? by SalC: 7:17pm On Dec 25, 2014
Interesting!
Now there's someone here who believe Christ was born on 25th Dec. I'd love the Op and those who agree with him to counter that thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/2060260/yes-christ-really-born-december#29170885

(1) (Reply)

Why do Christians shy away from Politics in Nigeria / Bad Dreams / How Often Do You Pay Your Tithe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.