Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:34 AM

Careers In Public Health - Career (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Careers In Public Health (136477 Views)

Top 5 Careers That Can Make Your Spouse Cheat On You / Ask Me Questions About Careers In The Military / Best Paid Careers In Nigeria For 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Careers In Public Health by Nobody: 2:05pm On May 13, 2016
Hello house, Mr Etin

Can a graduate of computer science do post graduate diploma in public health before forging ahead in MPH? If yes, does anyone know any Nigeria school that offers PGD in public health.

Thank you.
FUTO offers PGD in public health

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by lljimae(f): 3:48pm On May 17, 2016
Please how is the aptitude test for public health masters. Is it just quantitative and verbal reasoning or do I need to read text on public health. Please help me out anyone that have written it.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 5:54pm On May 17, 2016
lljimae:
Please how is the aptitude test for public health masters. Is it just quantitative and verbal reasoning or do I need to read text on public health. Please help me out anyone that have written it.

Expect

1. Probability/intro statistics
2. Disease triad
3. Pub health terminologies
Re: Careers In Public Health by loshybab(m): 11:38pm On May 17, 2016
As a graduate of biochemistry,I jst applied for d MPH in populatn nd reproductve health nutrition...

Cn some1 pls telme I'm nt crazy to hv done that?.........
Etinosajay ooooooooooooo.whr u dey ooo?
What shud I xpct in d aptitude test pls?
Re: Careers In Public Health by LillyM: 7:56am On May 21, 2016
Apart from MSC in PH biotechnology, is it that UI don't offer other MSC in PH programmes
Re: Careers In Public Health by frenzydilz(m): 8:17am On May 25, 2016
Really embattled as of which to go for; whether for MPH or MSPH or M.Sc in Medical microbiology. I am a graduate of microbiology. Would really appreciate your candid advice Etinosajay
Re: Careers In Public Health by chinelany: 9:22am On May 25, 2016
chinelany:
Hi
Pls with a pgdiploma in hiv/aids education and management, can one progress to m.sc public health or mph?

Etinosajay:

Do you have a bachelor's in science or para-medicine?

Oh yes, i have b.sc in microbiology bt wt a 2.2 nd my school of interest ( uniport) accepts 2.1. So i need pgd in related course to be addmitted there
Re: Careers In Public Health by chinelany: 9:25am On May 25, 2016
So my question is will pgd in hiv aids education nd management go for a related course to msc public health
Re: Careers In Public Health by Drkul(f): 9:52am On May 25, 2016
chinelany:
So my question is will pgd in hiv aids education nd management go for a related course to msc public health
Hello why don't you go to the dept directly at uniport and ask since you are closeby, a friend of mine too with same grade asked and she was told the pgd course to do sometin bio or pharm can't remember the exact one

Pls I have a question you said something about doing MSc public health at unilag sometime ago (I heard unilag offers both MPH& MSc PH)

I am a biochemistry graduate with 2:1 do you think I can be admitted to MSc public health if I pass the test, or are medical students more preferred
aside the test is there any other requirement generally or from the dept
Thanks a lot

1 Like

Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 10:55am On May 25, 2016
loshybab:
As a graduate of biochemistry,I jst applied for d MPH in populatn nd reproductve health nutrition...

Cn some1 pls telme I'm nt crazy to hv done that?.........
Etin. ooooooooooooo.whr u dey ooo?
What shud I xpct in d aptitude test pls?

Expect same as I replied above
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 10:57am On May 25, 2016
LillyM:
Apart from MSC in PH biotechnology, is it that UI don't offer other MSC in PH programmes

They do madam.

Look at the current postgraduate prospectus
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 11:03am On May 25, 2016
frenzydilz:
Really embattled as of which to go for; whether for MPH or MSPH or M.Sc in Medical microbiology. I am a graduate of microbiology. Would really appreciate your candid advice OP

First,

What are your interests. That's what counts at this stage. What would you be doing in future?

Do you know what MPH, MSc PH, MSc Med microbiology, all offer?

Which one closely mirrors what you like?

That's the one you should do
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 11:06am On May 25, 2016
chinelany:

Oh yes, i have b.sc in microbiology bt wt a 2.2 nd my school of interest ( uniport) accepts 2.1. So i need pgd in related course to be addmitted there

In that case, I suggest you look @ the postgraduate/faculty prospectus of UNIport to be better informed.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 11:11am On May 25, 2016
chinelany:

I think I answered this question in your former post.

Look at the admission requirements for the programme (MSc public health)

If it says they accept PGD, then there is your answer.

If you're not entirely sure, call the admission or faculty officer for the programme of your choice
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 11:15am On May 25, 2016
Drkul:

Hello why don't you go to the dept directly at uniport and ask since you are closeby, a friend of mine too with same grade asked and she was told the pgd course to do sometin bio or pharm can't remember the exact one

Pls I have a question you said something about doing MSc public health at unilag sometime ago (I heard unilag offers both MPH& MSc PH)

I am a biochemistry graduate with 2:1 do you think I can be admitted to MSc public health if I pass the test, or are medical students more preferred
Thanks a lot

There are no preference. MSc pub health is an academic/research option. Rarely do medical students enter for this.

If you're meet the requirements, including any aptitude tests, you should probably be admitted.

Bibikaz, can answer questions on aptitude test and admission stages.

2 Likes

Re: Careers In Public Health by frenzydilz(m): 12:01pm On May 25, 2016
Etinosajay:

First,

What are your interests. That's what counts at this stage. What would you be doing in future?

Ok. Thanks
Re: Careers In Public Health by frenzydilz(m): 12:47pm On May 25, 2016
Etinosajay:

First,

Please Sir, I have settled for MSPH. So my question right now is that between Epidemiology; and Environmental and Occupational health which is more in demand. I know I can do both
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 1:38pm On May 25, 2016
frenzydilz:
Please Sir, I have settled for MSPH. So my question right now is that between Epidemiology; and Environmental and Occupational health which is more in demand. I know I can do both

They both are. But occupational health is a good one. With OSHA certifications and your masters degree, there are very good opportunities.

Environmental too

Epidemiology is basically disease mapping and the likes. Still good

Do what you will excel at.

Dem dey see rich man for even poor village.
Re: Careers In Public Health by loshybab(m): 3:21pm On May 25, 2016
[quote author=Etinosajay post=45951513]
Expect same as I replied above[/quote Yea! I alrdy posted bfor I saw it,thnks!
Re: Careers In Public Health by frenzydilz(m): 5:50pm On May 25, 2016
Etinosajay:

They both are. But occupational health is a good one. With OSHA certifications and your masters degree, there are very good opportunities.

Environmental too

Epidemiology is basically disease mapping and the likes. Still good

Do what you will excel at.

Dem dey see rich man for even poor village.
Thanks a zillion. I appreciate very much
Re: Careers In Public Health by chinelany: 7:10pm On May 26, 2016
Drkul:

Thanks a lot

Yes, u are very very good to go, but if u are not a graduate of medcine and surgery, you can only go for m.sc public health. MPH is only for medical students at unilag. I dont kno if it has changed though, i did d course there in 2007.

2 Likes

Re: Careers In Public Health by oliyeniun: 4:37pm On Jun 03, 2016
Please is there anyone that can recomend a good training centre that offers training advanced data analysis or health mapping, preferable in Lagos. it is urgent please. thanks.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 2:18pm On Jun 04, 2016
Crazyman

1forall

Please take care of this inappropriate post above.
Re: Careers In Public Health by 1forall: 11:40pm On Jun 04, 2016
Etinosajay:
Crazyman
1forall

Please take care of this inappropriate post above.

Thanks.
Next time please simply use the (Report) button to report any offending post.
Re: Careers In Public Health by opeyewa: 2:37pm On Jun 07, 2016
[quote author=frenzydilz post=45963075]Thanks a zillion. I appreciate very much[/qu ote]
Pls does university of ibadan allow non mbbs to do MPH epidemiology field prqctice track cos I studied biochemistry and I am contemplating between it and MPH family and reproductive health.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 5:56pm On Jun 07, 2016
[quote author=opeyewa post=46356918][/quote]

Yes, it's allowed
Re: Careers In Public Health by bencomib: 1:19am On Jun 08, 2016
Do graduates with 2.2 and 3rd class in Bsc Economics have any chance of going for a Masters in Public Health? because i learnt there are no PGD for Public Health.

Secondly what can one do with a Masters in Health Economics?
Thanks
Re: Careers In Public Health by opeyewa: 11:08pm On Jun 12, 2016
Etinosajay:

Yes, it's allowed
Thanks etinosa. Pls I also graduated with a 2.2 degree.
Re: Careers In Public Health by FrannyTee(f): 10:29pm On Jun 15, 2016
Very interesting thread.. . .. had to join nairaland today cos of Etinosajay and all I read and I hv so many questions to ask him
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 7:27am On Jun 16, 2016
opeyewa:

Thanks etinosa. Pls I also graduated with a 2.2 degree.

That's a difficult one. I'm not sure you can get in with a 2.2

You may have to look at other schools where you can do a PGD.
Re: Careers In Public Health by Etinosajay(m): 7:30am On Jun 16, 2016
bencomib:
Do graduates with 2.2 and 3rd class in Bsc Economics have any chance of going for a Masters in Public Health? because i learnt there are no PGD for Public Health.

Secondly what can one do with a Masters in Health Economics?
Thanks

Economics? 2.2? 3rd class

Most likely impossible.

To get into most streams of MPH, you need a degree in Sciences, Paramedicine, or related. Moreso, you need a degree with good standing, and 2.2, 3rd class is not.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (22) (Reply)

Cisco STUDY GROUP (online) / Highest Paying Jobs In Nigeria And How Much They Pay / I Commented 'What A Nice Picture' On My Boss' Photo And She Is Taking It Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.