Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,162 members, 7,835,892 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. (1579 Views)

10 Things Guys Say When Caught Cheating / Annoying Replies When Caught Cheating. / Why Do Girls Get Aggressive When Caught Cheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by expatriate(m): 10:42am On Dec 28, 2014
DO ALL MEN CHEAT ON THEIR WIVES?

By AZUKA ONWUKA

When we make a promise, a vow or a resolution to do a certain thing or stop a certain habit or trait, is it by our will that we keep to that decision? To me, the answer is more of Yes than No.

When it comes to an addiction, a person’s willpower may not be the only determinant. For example, if a chain smoker resolves to stop smoking cigarette, it may not be so easy to implement. Drug addiction is even more difficult.

But what about issues like infidelity, fighting, use of expletives, etc? I believe that as long as the person is sane, it is not so hard if there is genuine determination. Let me use myself as an example.

When I got married some 11 years ago, I made a promise to myself to be faithful. Given what I had heard from men and women about men, I was afraid it would not be easy. But I said I would try. There have indeed been temptations, but I have been surprised that it has not been difficult at all to be faithful. I have not had to struggle to be faithful. With all sense of modesty, I can say that it has been easier for me to be faithful than to wake up when my alarm sounds in the morning.

Interestingly, I have been faithful for many reasons, but the top most is that I don’t want to disappoint myself. My mind always reminds me that I made a vow before God and man to be faithful. Why should I not keep my words even if no human being is watching? Even if most men are said to be unfaithful, why can’t I be different?

I have also told my wife that if ever I become unfaithful and tell her that it was caused by the devil, she should smash my head for that comment. But I have also asked her never to jump into conclusions over stories or even pictures purporting to prove that I am unfaithful. Such may be cooked up. If I ever cheat on her and she confronts me with it, I will not add insult to the injury by telling a lie. If I ever become unfaithful, it will not be caused by the devil. It will be because I choose to be.

Extramarital sex is not a reflex action or a spontaneous action like sneezing or slapping someone in anger. It is usually planned, sometimes over months. If one plans, night after night and week after week, how to sleep with one’s sister-in-law, house maid, secretary, neighbour, etc, and eventually succeeds, I don’t see how one should blame the devil. If one could not resist the devil during the weeks of scheming, then the devil should not be blamed.

The only thing I have ensured is that I don’t live away from my wife for months and years in pursuit of career or business.

The second example is that when I was 14 years old, I read some books (especially Dale Carnegie’s How to Win Friends and Influence People) and decided never to swear at people or insult anyone again. It seemed difficult at first because our environment is one in which children, parents, teachers and other adults have no scruples about flinging swearwords at people. So, how do you react when someone insults you or your parents or your people? That’s difficult. But for over 30 years now, I have done it.

About the same time too in secondary school, I flung a bunch of keys at a classmate who had done something trivial to me and was running away. The keys caught him in the stomach. He grabbed his tummy and winced in pain. My classmates upbraided me. I felt ashamed of myself. I looked like a monster. I vowed that day never to fight again. For about 30 years now, I have not been involved in any physical or verbal combat.

Then, this is the strangest. Sometime during my teenage years, I noticed that I had many scars on my legs and arms from injuries sustained while playing, falling down, working, etc. Till today, two of my toe nails look like the talons of a hawk because they were broken many times. I told myself that I would never fall down again. It sounded ridiculous even to myself. But surprisingly, I have never slipped and fallen since then. Any time I slip, I catch myself somehow and save myself from hitting the floor like a sack. I can’t say how I do it but I guess it’s a thing of the mind.

Now, hear this funny one. When I was in class 2 in secondary school, my vice-principal caught me outside the class after break. I told him that I was coming from the toilet. He asked me why I did not empty my bowels in the morning before having my bath. That sounded ridiculous. I asked him in my mind if he was thinking properly: How could one control when to visit the toilet?

But years later, I decided to try it by forcing myself to empty my bowels before having my bath. Many times, it did not work. But after a while, my body got the message. Any time I tie a towel around my waist in the morning, be it 5a.m. or 10a.m., my tummy knows that it is time for gastrointestinal evacuation. Since my university years, that has been the practice. If my body is not ready in the morning, I only need to drink a glass of water for it to get ready for the routine.

Again, when I began working in 1995, the office had someone who served tea or coffee every morning. The aroma of coffee was too enticing for me. So, I took coffee every morning. A month later, I was hit by an abdominal pain that hurt as if my intestines were being shredded. I panicked and headed home from Lagos. Immediately I got into my hometown, the pain evaporated. Superstitious? No. Just simple psychology. That was about the third time I had travelled home and become well without any treatment: the first was at the university; the second was immediately after my National Youth Service Corps orientation. At that period, no other place was home for me except home.

Even though the pain had subsided, I still visited my doctor. He told me that the coffee was the culprit. It had woken up a peptic ulcer that was sleeping for years. Therefore, since 1995, in spite of the tempting fragrance of coffee – whether decaf or not -I have not tasted it.

point is that our mind is powerful: more powerful than we assume. When we challenge it, it gives us surprising results. No wonder Napoleon Hill wrote a book that he called: Think and Grow Rich. Indeed, as a man thinketh, so is he.

There are many things in life outside our control, but there are many critical things within our control. If we make up our mind to achieve certain feats in life, we will accomplish them. Even if we don’t get to the height of our dream, at least, we won’t be on the floor like those who never tried at all.

As we plan to go into the New Year in a matter of days, we can take a decision on one habit that has not added any value to our existence. If we put our mind to it, we can overcome it.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a fruitful New Year.

1 Like

Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by iceberylin(m): 10:44am On Dec 28, 2014
That devil don really suffer grin

1 Like

Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2014
iceberylin:
That devil don really suffer grin

I swear...... even when the guy just wan chill soak small garri,them no go let am rest lol

1 Like

Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 11:11am On Dec 28, 2014
Devil ke
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by iceberylin(m): 11:13am On Dec 28, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

I swear...... even when the guy just wan chill soak small garri,them no go let am rest lol
grin
So garri dh hell fire
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:16am On Dec 28, 2014
iceberylin:

grin
So garri dh hell fire

See.. you....the best Garri ever!!!!!....... I dey reach there once in a while na... I get one mansion for there wink
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by Lilamartedi(f): 11:23am On Dec 28, 2014
Inspiring piece

1 Like

Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by djeezy(m): 11:28am On Dec 28, 2014
Don't be fooled, cheating is a choice not a mistake.

1 Like

Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by charijee(f): 11:28am On Dec 28, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

See.. you....the best Garri ever!!!!!....... I dey reach there once in a while na... I get one mansion for there wink
This is intended for just fun right?
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:29am On Dec 28, 2014
charijee:
This is intended for just fun right?

Maybe.... Maybe not grin grin smiley wink
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by charijee(f): 11:31am On Dec 28, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

Maybe.... Maybe not grin grin smiley wink
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by JeffreyJamez(m): 11:32am On Dec 28, 2014
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by bukatyne(f): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2014
Beautiful beautiful piece

RoyalRoy, I can't post on the family section

Happy Sunday
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by Tallesty1(m): 12:02pm On Dec 28, 2014
The Kinda stuff I like reading.
Thanks for sharing it............

1 Like

Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by jmoore(m): 12:05pm On Dec 28, 2014
Of course it is a choice, a foolish choice. A choice made by dogs.
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by iceberylin(m): 12:23pm On Dec 28, 2014
JeffreyJamez:

Be like I go come visit ni grin
But na heaven sure pass....
Enjoy
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by expatriate(m): 2:21pm On Dec 28, 2014
Tallesty1:
The Kinda stuff I like reading.
Thanks for sharing it............

ur welcome.
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by quivah(f): 3:01pm On Dec 28, 2014
I thought men are polygamous in natureundecided
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by quivah(f): 3:01pm On Dec 28, 2014
jmoore:
Of course it is a choice, a foolish choice. A choice made by dogs.
cheesy
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by Deapexboy(m): 3:05pm On Dec 28, 2014
Man shall not live by bread alone!

So we need change oil

Dickson can b so sturborn atimes
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by expatriate(m): 4:29pm On Dec 28, 2014
quivah:

the polygamy in men has nothing to do with d devil.
its as a result of reacting to what u see, which u can actually decide not to, and hence control ur manliness.
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by expatriate(m): 4:29pm On Dec 28, 2014
quivah:

its as a result of reacting to what u see, which u can actually decide not to, and hence control ur manliness. grin
quivah:

its as a result of reacting to what u see, which u can actually decide not to, and hence control ur manliness.
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by quivah(f): 4:32pm On Dec 28, 2014
expatriate:

but men are polygamous in nature
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by RoyalRoy(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2014
bukatyne:
Beautiful beautiful piece

RoyalRoy, I can't post on the family section

Happy Sunday

Now you can.

Happy Sunday.
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by bukatyne(f): 5:05pm On Dec 28, 2014
RoyalRoy:

Now you can.

Happy Sunday.

Thanks a lot

May I know the reason I couldn't earlier?
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by RoyalRoy(m): 5:31pm On Dec 28, 2014
bukatyne:

Thanks a lot

May I know the reason I couldn't earlier?

The Spam Bot mistook one of your posts as spam. So you got banned by it for 24hrs.
Always check your profile when next it occurs so you can mail the mods immediately.
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by bukatyne(f): 5:32pm On Dec 28, 2014
RoyalRoy:

The Spam Bot mistook one of your posts as spam. So you got banned by it for 24hrs.
Always check your profile when next it occurs so you can mail the mods immediately.

Yes sir angry

I guess the reply to one dude who asked me to check up a link
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by Nobody: 6:10pm On Dec 28, 2014
quivah:

but men are polygamous in nature
Excluding me
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by quivah(f): 6:13pm On Dec 28, 2014
starlingleanets:
Excluding me
cheesy
Re: Cheating In Marriages, An Act Of Decision. Don't Blame The Devil When Caught. by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 28, 2014

(1) (Reply)

See Me See Wahala O.. / 5 Reasons Why You Should Date A Poor Guy / Top 10 Most Hilarious People In Romance Section.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.