Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,796 members, 7,844,575 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 12:05 AM

The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia (3908 Views)

Why And How The African Child Is Miseducated In The Western Educational System / Somalia's Al-shabaab Offers Reward For Capture Of Obama / How The Western Media Has Lied To The Public Over Libya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by larez(m): 1:25pm On Dec 12, 2008
landis:

larez,

all eyes on you, we know what you are doing in Atlanta.

My Brethren landis, I am in Naija now. I need to settle down fast so these Chicks can start coming to visit
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by auwal87(m): 1:29pm On Dec 12, 2008
baki shike yanka wuya grin
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by landis(m): 1:35pm On Dec 12, 2008
larez:

My Brethren landis, I am in Naija now. I need to settle down fast so these Chicks can start coming to visit

you wanna start importing from atlanta?

Naija babes go fight you!!!
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by redsun(m): 1:37pm On Dec 12, 2008
Somalia is a rogue state,.Any country where islamic fundamentalism is paramount is doom.

Organized religion of any kind is delusional and unrealistic,it subdues common sense.
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by debosky(m): 1:48pm On Dec 12, 2008
So they should show some people walking on a beach? Proving what if I may ask?

Have you ever seen a picture of people from Bosnia walking on the beach? Wasn't it stories of war and the rest were broadcast from there? (to address those who think this is an Africa bias for reporting bad news)

As an unrelated example, Citibank is sacking 30,000 in the next 3 years. . . .did you hear it announced when those 30,000 were hired?

The news media are not there to report scenes of normalcy, so I don't see why those type of pictures should somehow be at the forefront of their reports. Does the fact that a few girls are walking on the beach negate the greater reality of the wide-spread suffering going on in that country?

As far as I'm concerned, this is another case of escapism. There will always be enclaves of peace/prosperity (ill gotten or otherwise) even in a war torn country. The essence of the 'western media' is to portray the cases requiring either intervention or outrage from their viewers.

As the saying goes

good news is no news

Blame it on biological determinism, say the neuroscientists. John T Cacioppo of the University of Chicago explains that very early the brain exhibits a "negativity bias", meaning it reacts with far more electrical activity to the stimuli of bad news than to good, and that this is seen at the earliest stages of information processing. Thus our attitudes are more heavily influenced by downbeat than good news.

http://www.newstatesman.com/ideas/2008/08/news-negative-optimistic-media
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by larez(m): 1:50pm On Dec 12, 2008
They used to be my hanging out buddies. Would be fun to have the troop here in Lagos or in Abuja. grin
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by vwvw(m): 6:34pm On Dec 12, 2008
@poster what about bakara market that rocket launchers. RPG's and high caliber weapons are routinely tested. last time i was in bakara nearly got my head blown. somalia dude is a failed state and world's number 1 rogue nation. WAR ON LAND ANARCHY AT SEA, VLTURES OVERHEAD TO PICK UP THE CORPSES
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by SeanT21(f): 2:56am On Dec 13, 2008
More Pics of somalia wont hurt!!
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by Busybody2(f): 10:39am On Dec 13, 2008
SeanT21:

tsk, tsk, tsk grin grin grin
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by larez(m): 11:25am On Dec 13, 2008
SeanT21:

Somalia or Somali Chicks? tongue
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by Hauwa1: 1:44am On Dec 14, 2008
larez, you are cracking me up here abt Iman nipple as a small pee pee grin grin oh god grin grin

you people so funny grin
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by dayokanu(m): 2:58am On Dec 14, 2008
a
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by dayokanu(m): 2:58am On Dec 14, 2008
That is a picture of Miss Afghanistan in the middle does that mean you would get "SOME" when you go to Kabul?

Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by Nobody: 4:19am On Dec 14, 2008
The Lord saves those who needs to be saved, not the ones already saved.

So why should America focus on the good side? If they show the good parts, you ppl will say they only go to Somalia for the beaches etc, if they show the bad part, you ppl will say they don't care about the problems in Somalia.

What do you ppl want, seriously!!!
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by larez(m): 7:07am On Dec 14, 2008
*Hauwa*:

larez, you are cracking me up here about Iman nipple as a small pee pee grin grin oh god grin grin

you people so funny grin

In my Babe studying experience you can tell a woman's tee tee structure from her nipple structure.
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by SeanT21(f): 5:14pm On Dec 14, 2008
larez:

Somalia or Somali Chicks? tongue

I prefer the country pics.
Re: The Western Media Never Shows This Somalia by vwvw(m): 12:22pm On Dec 19, 2008
About one million people have fled their homes - many after fierce fighting in Mogadishu between Islamists and the Ethiopia-backed government. whats the population of somalia forces, http://connectafrica./2008/12/19/ethiopia-fails-somali-pull-out-deadline/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of Gaza Tunnel System. / Whoever Wins This State Wins The US Election: Picture / Graphic Photos: Liberian Soldiers Open Fire On Residents Of Ebola Slum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.