Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,644 members, 7,813,159 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:00 AM

Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo (4168 Views)

Buhari Attended Jumaat Prayers At Mambila Mosque Earlier This Afternoon [photos] / Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo / Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Dotng: 7:34am On Dec 31, 2014
Why I attended Olamide’s concert – Osinbajo

The presence of the Maj.-Gen. Mohammadu Buhari’s running mate, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo, at a concert organised by award-winning hip hop artiste, Olamide, in Lagos on Sunday has become a subject of a raging online debate.

Online commentators questioned the attendance of Osinbajo, the presiding pastor of the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Olive Tree Parish, Banana Island, Lagos, at the event, which was described by many as “worldly.”

Such people argued that no “spirit-filled” pastor would find it comfortable listening to “worldly” music in passing, let alone attending a live concert where many of such songs would be rendered.

Responding to the photos splashed on social media, showing Osinbajo while the concert was underway, one Shydoo Shadrack wondered on Twitter if the cleric had not begun backsliding occasioned by his foray into politics.

“Are we sure Osinbajo is a born-again Christian needless to talk of being a pastor? What was he doing at a worldly musical concert? Or was it that this man has begun backsliding so soon?” he asked while expressing concerns over the development.

An entertainment blogger, Segun Oleniju, could not imagine how Osinbajo would have been dancing to the rhythm of Olamide’s songs such as ‘story for the gods’ and ‘Durosoke’.

“I thought they said this Yemi Osinbajo man was a pastor? What was he doing at Olamide’s concert? Too much fakeness in the name of God,” he added on Twitter.

Following the debate his appearance at the concert has stirred, Osinbajo has replied critics questioning his move. The professor of law wrote on his Facebook page that all Nigerians have something to offer to bring about the needed change the country needed.

He added that Olamide was one of the popular Nigerian recording artistes that should join other citizens in transforming the nation.

“I met the popular recording artiste – Olamide. He is an impressive young man. We are richly blessed with talented and energetic individuals who have a lot to offer the nation. Everyone should get involved in transforming our country.

“It is achievable. Change is possible; change starts with you,” Osinbajo, who is running with Buhari on the platform of the All Progressives Party said.

Fans of the APC VP candidate also rallied round him online, hailing his resolve to identify with the likes of Olamide and other entertainment artistes as an appealing and inclusive strategy.

A lawyer, Babalola Ogunmefun-Aare, argued that since Jesus whose teachings modern day Christians follow did not shun the ‘tax collectors’ and other sinners during his lifetime, Osinbajo had not erred by attending Olamide’s concert.

“So, the Professor (Osinbajo) should snub Olamide? Did Jesus Christ snub the tax collectors in the Bible? Did people not accuse Jesus Christ of dinning with sinners? Mr. Vice President in-waiting, we endorse your political moves,” Ogunmefun-Aare stated on Facebook.

Another Lagos-based respondent, Fredrigez Deval, arguing in support of Osinbajo on Facebook, said, “He (Osinbajo) only met with the young man (Olamide) and attended his show. Even Jesus Christ himself mingled with the harlots and tax collectors.

“We should not be in a rush to judge this man of God and the status of his Christian faith. Better still, maybe we should leave Osinbajo with God who searches the hearts of men to judge,”

Meanwhile, a former Governor of Kwara State, Dr. Bukola Saraki, has carpeted the ruling Peoples Democratic Party over the N21bn fundraiser it organised for President Goodluck Jonathan’s 2015 re-election bid.

The lawmaker representing the Kwara Central Senatorial District accused the donors of contributing to the President’s election purse for the purpose of reciprocating the gesture of the Jonathan-led administration which gave them “free hand to milk and ruin this nation.”

“They are donating billions because he (Jonathan) gave them free hand to milk and ruin this nation. You don’t have to be a politician to know if you are donating billions of naira; you are either getting something or have got something.

“Even if you still have doubts, one thing you are certain of is that this current administration is clueless. Come February 2015, Nigerians should donate their votes to change the system,” Saraki added in a series of tweets.

http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/why-i-attended-olamides-concert-osinbajo/
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 31, 2014
Ook
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by topearos(m): 7:38am On Dec 31, 2014
Good for him.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by dhardline(m): 7:39am On Dec 31, 2014
Ifa hear undecided
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by sucreblazing(m): 7:45am On Dec 31, 2014
our VP to be Na JASI VP ......don't dull ooo
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by gede7744(f): 7:48am On Dec 31, 2014
human being with their judgemental attitudes. if u do wahala if u no do problem

who can satisfy them.....? some dead ppl are still receiving judgement from ppl who believe they did something wrong when they were alive

1 Like

Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by sigmundfreud(m): 7:52am On Dec 31, 2014
Why are they making it seem like Olamide is the devil?!

1 Like

Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Mortiple(m): 8:03am On Dec 31, 2014
My Pastor, you no try at all. tongue

The same you that preach against worldliness and carnality?! Are you saying there are no other avenues or platforms you could have reached out to Olamide? Of what significance is Olamide's influence to your victory? Hope you didn't dance to his 'worldly lyrics'? lipsrsealed

Prior to this time, would you not punish a Worker or Minister in your Parish who attended such an event?

Let's practise what we preach sir.

There is God oooo!!!

4 Likes

Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 31, 2014
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Validated: 8:21am On Dec 31, 2014
If reports had reached him that the Head Usher or Choir leader was at a night club on Sunday, what would he have done

Nigerians and hypocrisy!

GO need to suspend this man otherwise, other workers already have basis to attend night clubs, afterall, Pastor Osinbajo did it!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:21am On Dec 31, 2014
sigmundfreud:

Because Olamide is bleeping with the devil.

That for that, Osinbajo has gotten the voice of the street by drawing Olamide Badoo to himself
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by FOLYKAZE(m): 8:25am On Dec 31, 2014
Mortiple:

The same you that preach against worldliness and carnality?! Are you saying there are no other avenues or platforms you could have reached out to Olamide? Of what significance is Olamide's influence to your victory? Hope you didn't dance to his 'worldly lyrics'? lipsrsealed

Prior to this time, would you not punish a Worker or Minister in your Parish who attended such an event?

There is God oooo!!!

Shattap.

Jesus flexed with prostitute and dine with sinners. So why is Osinbajo any different?

And pls, your religion should end in the church. This is politics and has nothing to do with 'pastorism'.

3 Likes

Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by LadyH(f): 8:28am On Dec 31, 2014
hoekay.
still observing.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:01am On Dec 31, 2014
Mortiple:

There is God oooo!!!
Please just the Bleep up you religion bigot. What has he done wrong? Everybody has a role to play in effecting change and you're here yearning dust. If he were to be campaigning from church to.church, you will be one of the first person that will tag him a Christian bigot but now he's reaching now even to the average person on the street and you guys are still whining. please if you have nothing reasonable to say just shove your ar5e where Sun dont shine.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 31, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Shattap.

Jesus flexed with prostitute and dine with sinners. So why is Osinbajo any different?

And pls, your religion should end in the church. This is politics and has nothing to do with 'pastorism'.
That guy you quoted, his post makes me sick. This is one of the reasons I dumped religion. As a Christian they believe you cannot wear Jean and designers again, you cannot play video games, you cannot put on golden chain you cannot watch tv, you cannot relate with your worldly friends etc. and you would have to be putting on tie as a sign of new birth. Like seriously. cChristians sucks sometimes. what nonsense! fvck religion

1 Like

Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Nobody: 9:09am On Dec 31, 2014
Prof Osinbajo was recruited to the APC Presidential team to appeal to Christian voters (his primary constituency), I don't think going to Olamide show is productive, rather it is counter productive among the christian folks. Fact is most Nigerians are appealed to by religion, though hypocritical, we want our religious leaders to be "perfect". A pastor attending shows of olamide and tweeting it is sending wrong signal to his followers and the same messages he preaches against, this inturn make people (christians) doubt his credibility, which may affect the electoral fortune of APC from a section of Christian community. Celebs in Nigeria have no electoral value, meetiing them in a non "offensive" place is more appropriate. In politics, you seek to win more support while maintaining your stronghold and not the other way round. Religion may not be ideal when choosing candidates but the sad reality is that it is the mainstay in Nigeria political scene and APC key into it when it selected a pastor as Buhari's VP to balance Muslim/Christian ticket. I think APC must play to the game if it wants to win 2015. I stand for Muhammadu Buhari and APC come 2015

I hope APC reconsider their strategy!
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Nobody: 10:31am On Dec 31, 2014
Come to think of it who is the presidential candidate?
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by D9ty7(m): 10:40am On Dec 31, 2014
sigmundfreud:
But Olamide is fvcking with the devil.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by milky3(f): 10:42am On Dec 31, 2014
No shaking Sir, since u won't sing nor dance Story for the gods
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by D9ty7(m): 10:43am On Dec 31, 2014
barcanista:
Prof Osinbajo was recruited to the APC Presidential team to appeal to Christian voters (his primary constituency), I don't think going to Olamide show is productive, rather it is counter productive among the christian folks. Fact is most Nigerians are appealed to by religion, though hypocritical, we want our religious leaders to be "perfect". A pastor attending shows of olamide and tweeting it is sending wrong signal to his followers and the same messages he preaches against, this inturn make people (christians) doubt his credibility, which may affect the electoral fortune of APC from a section of Christian community. Celebs in Nigeria have no electoral value, meetiing them in a non "offensive" place is more appropriate. In politics, you seek to win more support while maintaining your stronghold and not the other way round. Religion may not be ideal when choosing candidates but the sad reality is that it is the mainstay in Nigeria political scene and APC key into it when it selected a pastor as Buhari's VP to balance Muslim/Christian ticket. I think APC must play to the game if it wants to win 2015. I stand for Muhammadu Buhari and APC come 2015

I will stand by it anywhere. Every APC supporter here on Niaraland here, the addition of their brain is not up to 1% of your own. Am serious.
You just did what is expected of a Nigerian.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Caseless: 10:45am On Dec 31, 2014
sigmundfreud:
the same people blaming osinbajo never raised a voice when gej was dancing to skelewu (a song made by davido- someone in same 'societal class' and rating as olamide) after the nyanya blast.
Osinbajo is the VP-in-waiting of the good, the bad and the ugly in Nigeria- he must identify with all.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by D9ty7(m): 10:51am On Dec 31, 2014
I want to disagree with Mr VP candidate that Olamide is an impressive artiste who has a lot to offer this nation. What has he offered the country as a whole? "I want to do sina today." "Am fvcking with the devil." To me, Olamide is one of the numerous musicians who as a result of what they sing are affecting the moral standard of our society.
You need to see a primary school boy saying, "I want to do sina today."
There are better artiste who Osinbajo can move with, there are evergreen musicians who can help you with your campaign. Olamide sings for people on the street, those who have no idea of what their rights as a Nigerian are, they only vote for politicians who can pay. Osinbajo is not ready to pay, I don't listen to Olamide, I see him as a joker.
If tomorrow he should campaign for APC, I'll see it as one of his numerous jokes.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Newkidoo(m): 10:52am On Dec 31, 2014
No one has the right to condemn this man except God!!
Even Jesus said if u haven't sinned be the first to cast the stone at the alduterous woman..
No one is righteous so do not judge.. He did what he did with good intentions..
Motives behind doing something! That is what matters most and i believe He has the right intention.. God help us all..
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Kassidy4luv(m): 10:53am On Dec 31, 2014
Pastor Adeboye will follow him next time..................

Any ways, GEJ till Pastor Osinbajo Attend my Birthday party holding @ 5 star Motel( Ashawo joint ooo) Onitsha, tonite, by 9pm till dawn
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Newkidoo(m): 10:55am On Dec 31, 2014
D9ty7:
I want to disagree with Mr VP candidate that Olamide is an impressive artiste who has a lot to offer this nation. What has he offered the country as a whole? "I want to do sina today." "Am fvcking with the devil." To me, Olamide is one of the numerous musicians who as a result of what they sing are affecting the moral standard of our society.
You need to see a primary school boy saying, "I want to do sina today."
There are better artiste who Osinbajo can move with, there are evergreen musicians who can help you with your campaign. Olamide sings for people on the street, those who have no idea of what their rights as a Nigerian are, they only vote for politicians who can pay. Osinbajo is not ready to pay, I don't listen to Olamide, I see him as a joker.
If tomorrow he should campaign for APC, I'll see it as one of his numerous jokes.
I agree with you but the man did it with good intentions.. Pls vote buhari for 2015.. Abeg!! wink
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by D9ty7(m): 10:56am On Dec 31, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Shattap.

I am not a christian but I am a proud CRS student when I was in secondary school. Jesus dined with the sinners because he wanted to change them to make them serve God.
Osinbajo is a pastor, he preaches against wordly things, he is now into politics, are you saying politics is meant for d 'evil'?
Come to think of it, Osinbajo never attended Olamide's concert when he was actively working for God, but now that he needed the people's vote he realised there is one Olamide, someone he had preached against.
What do you think will happen if your phone should ring inside the church with one of Olamide's 'I want to do sina today' and 'mo ti mu dogoyaro." Bro, I stand to disagree with you on your arguement.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Caseless: 10:58am On Dec 31, 2014
barcanista:

the same xtians would prefer the worst xtiain(if any) than the best muslim(fashola). You cant please everybody- this is politics! Osinbajo is the VP-in-waiting and he must identify with all and sundry- be it good, bad or the ugly.
Nigeria is not a christain republic and, anyone aspiring for the number 2 post of the land must be seen to be free of all religious fascia he's known for and embrace the politics of Nigeria.
Nice one by the people's prof!
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by D9ty7(m): 11:01am On Dec 31, 2014
Caseless:
the same people blaming osinbajo never raised a voice when gej was dancing to skelewu (a song made by davido- someone in same 'societal class' and rating as olamide) after the nyanya blast.
Osinbajo is the VP-in-waiting of the good, the bad and the ugly in Nigeria- he must identify with all.
Well, I don't know if GEJ danced skelewu. But the point is, songs like Skelewu are 'wordly dance songs' but look at all of Olamide's songs, have you ever learnt anything from them? Those songs affect the younger ones mentality. Davido sings more about money while Olamide sings about s.ex, drugs and the likes.
There is a slight difference. I can play Davido's songs to my young nephew, but Olamide's songs, its a no no no.
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Newkidoo(m): 11:10am On Dec 31, 2014
D9ty7:

Well, I don't know if GEJ danced skelewu. But the point is, songs like Skelewu are 'wordly dance songs' but look at all of Olamide's songs, have you ever learnt anything from them? Those songs affect the younger ones mentality. Davido sings more about money while Olamide sings about s.ex, drugs and the likes.
There is a slight difference. I can play Davido's songs to my young nephew, but
Olamide's songs, its a no no no.
Guy, worldly is worldly. Whether it is about sex or money. Worldly song is still worldly..
In God's face 99% holiness is still condemnable.. God says 100% holiness and nothing more.. So stop trying to condemn one and accept the other!!
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 31, 2014
Caseless:
the same xtians would prefer the worst xtiain(if any) than the best muslim(fashola). You cant please everybody- this is politics! Osinbajo is the VP-in-waiting and he must identify with all and sundry- be it good, bad or the ugly.
Nigeria is not a christain republic and, anyone aspiring for the number 2 post of the land must be seen to be free of all religious fascia he's known for and embrace the politics of Nigeria.
Nice one by the people's prof!
Well, politics is a game of emotions and appeals. Professor Osinbajo should rightly meet all and sundry but the question is where should he meet these people? I will be happy if Osinbajo had hosted these celebs in a breakfast meeting or something, which isn't offensive to the Christians (his constituency). As a pastor, Nigerian Christians expect not to see him in some certain place like clubs, shows, shrines etc. This is the reality on ground! Whether it is right or not is another thing but in politics, you need not offend the appeals of people rightly or wrongly. This is not the West where celebrity endorsement and selfies appeals to electorates, in Nigeria, celebs don't have electoral value. Losing a section of the southern christian population is disastrous. I am critical because I want GMB 2015!
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Descartes: 12:28pm On Dec 31, 2014
Going to club to woo voters, odikwa risky shocked
Anyway, that's politics anything that can increase the number irrespective of the means is okay by politicians wink
Re: Why I Attended Olamide’s Concert – Osinbajo by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 31, 2014
D9ty7:

I am not a christian but I am a proud CRS student when I was in secondary school. Jesus dined with the sinners because he wanted to change them to make them serve God.
Osinbajo is a pastor, he preaches against wordly things, he is now into politics, are you saying politics is meant for d 'evil'?
Come to think of it, Osinbajo never attended Olamide's concert when he was actively working for God, but now that he needed the people's vote he realised there is one Olamide, someone he had preached against.
What do you think will happen if your phone should ring inside the church with one of Olamide's 'I want to do sina today' and 'mo ti mu dogoyaro." Bro, I stand to disagree with you on your arguement.
We should stop bringing Jesus here. Jesus never went to a brothel to meet Mary Magdalene, she came to him. Jesus met sinners in the market place and public places where he preached and dined with them, he never went to their hideout to do what they do by endorsing their shows. Zaccheaus a fraudster met Jesus on the street, and he wanted to repent so Jesus knowing his heart followed him. I indulge in secular things as a Christian, no biggie because no one is looking up to me spiritually(lol), but should my pastor do what I do... I am sure the response will be different frm members

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Tribe Has The Most Visionaries / Bukola Saraki’s Assert, Bank Account Worth Trillions-properties Exposed / HOW AWOLOWO HELPED IN CELEBRATING MEDIOCRITY PER EXCELLENCE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.