Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,146 members, 7,811,229 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution (4179 Views)

President Buhari Hails Jonathan As He Addressed The European Union Parliament / Buhari Hails Jonathan At AU Summit / Israel Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Pulls to Block Palestinian-UN resolution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by BABSIN(m): 6:10pm On Jan 01, 2015
Israel’s Netanyahu hails Jonathan as Nigeria pulls last-minute surprise to block Palestinian UN resolution

The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, praised President Goodluck Jonathan Wednesday, after Nigeria pulled a last-minute surprise that helped thwart a resolution calling for an end to Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory by 2017.
The resolution, presented to the United Nations for approval, called for new talks based on territorial lines that existed before Israel’s occupation of the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip in 1967.
The proposal was the culmination of three months of campaigning by the Palestinians at the UN, and was backed by 22 envoys from Arab states.
The Palestinians required nine votes from 15 permanent and non-permanent members of the UN Security Council.
Nigeria is currently one the 10 non-permanent members, with its tenure expiring in 2015. Chad and Rwanda are the other African members.
But Palestine received eight votes, short of one, during the vote which took place 11pm Nigerian time.
The United States and Australia voted against the resolution, while Russia, China, France, Luxembourg, Jordan, Argentina, Chile and Chad voted for the resolution.
Nigeria, Britain, South Korea, Rwanda and Lithuania abstained.
Nigeria’s role stood out because until shortly before the vote, diplomats had expected the resolution to get nine “yes” votes, with Nigeria believed to be in support.
But at the last minute, Nigeria’s envoy, Joy Ogwu, abstained from voting, echoing the position of the United States that the ultimate path to peace between Israel and Palestine lies “in a negotiated solution”.
Regardless of whether Palestine received nine votes, the resolution still stood no chance as U.S. would have deployed its veto powers as a permanent member to block it.
But analysts believe the U.S. sought to avoid that scenario as it would have angered Arab allies who are currently supporting a US-led international coalition against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, ISIS.
To save the U.S. from that awkward position, its Secretary of States, John Kerry, reached out to Nigeria to help block the move, the Times of Israel reported.
After the vote, U.S. envoy, Samantha Power, said “We voted against this resolution not because we are comfortable with the status quo. We voted against it because… peace must come from hard compromises that occur at the negotiating table.”
The Prime Minister, Mr. Netanyahu, also said he personally spoke to President Jonathan and received his assurance of support.
“I would like to voice appreciation and thanks to the United States and Australia, and also special appreciation for the president of Rwanda, my friend Paul Kagame, and the president of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan. I spoke with both of them. They told me and promised me, personally, that they would not support this resolution. They kept their word, and that’s what clinched this matter. I think this is very important for the state of Israel,” Mr. Netanyahu said.
Some Israeli media hailed the cordial relations between Mr. Jonathan and Mr. Netanyauhu, with the Times of Israel recalling how President Jonathan visited Israel during his last pilgrimage with a 20-member delegation, and how Mr. Netanyahu condoled with Nigeria after the Kano Mosque blast that killed more than 100 people.
Nigeria’s position on the complex Israel and Palestine issue has been that of neutrality for years, in the belief that any decision must be attained through negotiations.
Nigeria has maintained that policy in what analysts believe is informed by the government’s sensitivity to many factors including, not wanting to be seen as supporting Palestine’s Hamas, or opposing the United States.
A major factor also is the religious angle back home, with many Nigerian Muslims supporting Palestine, while there is also the Christianity affiliation between Nigeria and Israel.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/174016-israels-netanyahu-hails-jonathan-nigeria-pulls-last-minute-surprise-block-palestinian-un-resolution.html

2 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by saaedlee: 6:12pm On Jan 01, 2015
Doing the bidding of The US and Russia won't help him win the elections next month!

2 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by temitemi1(m): 6:18pm On Jan 01, 2015
All hail GEJ!!!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by F22RAPTOR(m): 6:21pm On Jan 01, 2015
Why is this shameful?...We need strong allies now.

22 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by PrinxArthur1(m): 6:40pm On Jan 01, 2015
Nigerian interest first b4 any other thing.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by satelliteDISH(m): 6:45pm On Jan 01, 2015
saaedlee:
Doing the bidding of The US and Russia won't help him win the elections next month!
Cluelessness is really in his blood. he just dey follow follow USA. he cant use his brain to think on his own. let me see how the USA ll come and colLect my voters card to vote for him. GEJ, its time to go back home and meet grandpa.

1 Like

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Afroconnect: 6:47pm On Jan 01, 2015
International politics is all about interest,we have more to gain with the Isreali's...Palestinians have nothing to offer us but extremists and terrorists...Good move,we should stop acting like the saints,we should support those that have something for us.

27 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by diepreyefrank: 7:39pm On Jan 01, 2015
satelliteDISH:
Cluelessness is really in his blood. he just dey follow follow USA. he cant use his brain to think on his own. let me see how the USA ll come and colLect my voters card to vote for him. GEJ, its time to go back home and meet grandpa.
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by dat9jaguy(m): 8:12pm On Jan 01, 2015
satelliteDISH:

While i support GMB wholeheartedly and will continue to support him whatever the outcome of the elections,i would say Nigeria made the right decision
concerning this issue because we need the USA and Israel for economic and military support.This is not about politics but national interest.

2 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by smartigo: 8:36pm On Jan 01, 2015
I think he did the right thing given the present circumstances faced. I only hope Nigeria interest is protected and respected when the needs arise.

2 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by TippyTop(m): 8:37pm On Jan 01, 2015
Buhari would have supported his palestinina brothers against Israel. This is why God let Gej to rule and refuse Buhari.

GEJ=Israeli.
Buhari=Palestinia.

Gej (Isrealis) would continue to win while Buhari (palestinias) would continue losing.
GEJ vs Buhari
3-0 latest score.

2 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Reddit: 8:39pm On Jan 01, 2015
That was a smart move to be honest. When it comes to international politics, its all about interest! interest! interest!

I think we got this one right.

11 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jan 01, 2015
What is the difference between Palestine and Biafra

1 Like

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by otukpo(f): 8:44pm On Jan 01, 2015
Politics have blinded some people to their senses.

Even when the FG does something right, they will still condemn.

I begin to wonder, whose interest are they really after?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by TippyTop(m): 8:44pm On Jan 01, 2015
WhiteTechnology:
Though both fought for independence, palestinias advocates total elimination of Israel. The ibo's didn't want to eliminate us did they? Ojukwu wanted a separate country for his people, this is different from what the palestinias want.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Nobody: 8:50pm On Jan 01, 2015
TippyTop:

Though both fought for independence, palestinias advocates total elimination of Israel. The ibo's didn't want to eliminate us did they? Ojukwu wanted a separate country for his people, this is different from what the palestinias want.

Gbam

GEJ did no wrong

6 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by giles14(m): 8:55pm On Jan 01, 2015
WhiteTechnology:
stupid question

and hw many Muslim nation aided or give relief to Biafra.Palestinian can never get wot dey want cos even d land is not theirs

1 Like

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 01, 2015
giles14:
stupid question

and hw many Muslim nation aided or give relief to Biafra.Palestinian can never get wot dey want cos even d land is not theirs

Gbam

GEJ is right

2 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by dhantey324(m): 9:11pm On Jan 01, 2015
F22RAPTOR:
Why is this shameful?...We need strong allies now.

I just tire 4 d op o.. D country has always maintained neutrality on the issue. So what is the shame?

3 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by tijjanioyan: 9:15pm On Jan 01, 2015
Afroconnect:
International politics is all about interest,we have more to gain with the Isreali's...Palestinians have nothing to offer us but extremists and terrorists...Good move,we should stop acting like the saints,we should support those that have something for us.
and d occupation of palestinian territories is terrorism &extremism?dia is God ooo
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by minister2015: 9:16pm On Jan 01, 2015
GEJ is just a shameless puppet, Obama has been snubbing Nigeria anytime he comes to Africa, stopped buying Nigeria's oil yet he continues to buy from Saudi and Kuwait. blocked all america allies from selling arms to You. why is GEJ a shamelss puppet.
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by ERODEDEAST(f): 9:56pm On Jan 01, 2015
TippyTop:
Buhari would have supported his palestinina brothers against Israel. This is why God let Gej to rule and refuse Buhari.

GEJ=Israeli.
Buhari=Palestinia.

Gej (Isrealis) would continue to win while Buhari (palestinias) would continue losing.
GEJ vs Buhari
3-0 latest score.

1 Like

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:58pm On Jan 01, 2015
minister2015:
GEJ is just a shameless puppet, Obama has been snubbing Nigeria anytime he comes to Africa, stopped buying Nigeria's oil yet he continues to buy from Saudi and Kuwait. blocked all america allies from selling arms to You. why is GEJ a shamelss puppet.

Far from it of GEJ is no puppet. If not we would not be having issues when it comes to buying arms to fight book haram.

If he was their puppet... In fact the US would not stop buying oil from us and shift their order to Saudi. The irony is that Saudi Arabia the heart and holy city of islam is the puppet of the west.

He understands what Isreal is going through in the hands of the Palestinians in terms of security and terrorism. He made the right call by not voting. So as not to be seen to be for or against.

Given the multicultural and religious connection Nigerians have for both Israel and Palestine.

If he voted yes the south would be MAD if no the north would be MAD. He made the right choice by not voting at all

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by akinsadeez(m): 10:13pm On Jan 01, 2015
Maybe GEJ thought abstaining would convince US to start buying our oil again.....now that we are hawking our oil all around looking for who to buy. undecided
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by PenSniper: 10:40pm On Jan 01, 2015
BABSIN:
Israel’s Netanyahu hails Jonathan as Nigeria pulls last-minute surprise to block Palestinian UN resolution

The Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, praised President Goodluck Jonathan Wednesday, after Nigeria pulled a last-minute surprise that helped thwart a resolution calling for an end to Israeli occupation of Palestinian territory by 2017.
The resolution, presented to the United Nations for approval, called for new talks based on territorial lines that existed before Israel’s occupation of the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip in 1967.
The proposal was the culmination of three months of campaigning by the Palestinians at the UN, and was backed by 22 envoys from Arab states.
The Palestinians required nine votes from 15 permanent and non-permanent members of the UN Security Council.
Nigeria is currently one the 10 non-permanent members, with its tenure expiring in 2015. Chad and Rwanda are the other African members.
But Palestine received eight votes, short of one, during the vote which took place 11pm Nigerian time.
The United States and Australia voted against the resolution, while Russia, China, France, Luxembourg, Jordan, Argentina, Chile and Chad voted for the resolution.
Nigeria, Britain, South Korea, Rwanda and Lithuania abstained.
Nigeria’s role stood out because until shortly before the vote, diplomats had expected the resolution to get nine “yes” votes, with Nigeria believed to be in support.
But at the last minute, Nigeria’s envoy, Joy Ogwu, abstained from voting, echoing the position of the United States that the ultimate path to peace between Israel and Palestine lies “in a negotiated solution”.
Regardless of whether Palestine received nine votes, the resolution still stood no chance as U.S. would have deployed its veto powers as a permanent member to block it.
But analysts believe the U.S. sought to avoid that scenario as it would have angered Arab allies who are currently supporting a US-led international coalition against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, ISIS.
To save the U.S. from that awkward position, its Secretary of States, John Kerry, reached out to Nigeria to help block the move, the Times of Israel reported.
After the vote, U.S. envoy, Samantha Power, said “We voted against this resolution not because we are comfortable with the status quo. We voted against it because… peace must come from hard compromises that occur at the negotiating table.”
The Prime Minister, Mr. Netanyahu, also said he personally spoke to President Jonathan and received his assurance of support.
“I would like to voice appreciation and thanks to the United States and Australia, and also special appreciation for the president of Rwanda, my friend Paul Kagame, and the president of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan. I spoke with both of them. They told me and promised me, personally, that they would not support this resolution. They kept their word, and that’s what clinched this matter. I think this is very important for the state of Israel,” Mr. Netanyahu said.
Some Israeli media hailed the cordial relations between Mr. Jonathan and Mr. Netanyauhu, with the Times of Israel recalling how President Jonathan visited Israel during his last pilgrimage with a 20-member delegation, and how Mr. Netanyahu condoled with Nigeria after the Kano Mosque blast that killed more than 100 people.
Nigeria’s position on the complex Israel and Palestine issue has been that of neutrality for years, in the belief that any decision must be attained through negotiations.
Nigeria has maintained that policy in what analysts believe is informed by the government’s sensitivity to many factors including, not wanting to be seen as supporting Palestine’s Hamas, or opposing the United States.
A major factor also is the religious angle back home, with many Nigerian Muslims supporting Palestine, while there is also the Christianity affiliation between Nigeria and Israel.

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/174016-israels-netanyahu-hails-jonathan-nigeria-pulls-last-minute-surprise-block-palestinian-un-resolution.html

Its your own shame because it was a good move.

2 Likes

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Esdb(m): 12:22am On Jan 02, 2015
saaedlee:
Ha! Such level of dumbness. Can't you see he didn't follow russia? Some people just talk just because they have a big hole at the lower base of their head. And to all who like his comment. Fucckk You! Retards!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Nobody: 3:38am On Jan 02, 2015
dat9jaguy:

While i support GMB wholeheartedly and will continue to support him whatever the outcome of the elections,i would say Nigeria made the right decision
concerning this issue because we need the USA and Israel for economic and military support.This is not about politics but national interest.
Buhari will reverse the current foreign policy on Palestine.
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by dat9jaguy(m): 7:42am On Jan 02, 2015
noblezone:

Buhari will reverse the current foreign policy on Palestine.

He might and he might not.These kind of issues decisions are reached following a process.It is not
a one man decision to take or make.

Vote for Buhari.
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by Afroconnect: 12:05pm On Jan 02, 2015
tijjanioyan:
and d occupation of palestinian territories is terrorism &extremism?dia is God ooo
You totally miss my point,international politics has no conscience...wake up,its a wicked,selfish life,it won't change.

What will sods like you say when Saudi Arabia refuses weapons heading to Nigeria from Pakistan to pass through their air-space?
Its simply because America don't want it,and they favour islamist extremists more than Nigeria-serving their interest.
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by kwametut: 1:33pm On Jan 02, 2015
I always knew that Naaigayria was a ASS LICKING COUNTRY. The relationship between Nigeria and Britain, USA is based on lies or one sided since the ATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE where Brits and Americans bought SLAVES from the socalled igwes and obas of those times. This continued after 1960 where Brits and Americans controlled Nigerian oil economy from NY and LONDON.

ONE AN ASS LICKER ALWAYS AN ASS LICKER. FACT 2015 kiss kiss kiss
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by kwametut: 1:41pm On Jan 02, 2015
Nigeria is like an UGLY GIRL thats always throwing herslef on HANDSOME MEN. The truth is USA,UK,ISRAEL dont give a sh--tt about Nigeria whereas they love SOUTH AFRICA to bits. There are more Jews,Brits,Americans living in SA than sh--thole Nigeria. Note:SA always opposes the WEST (USA,UK,GERMANY etc..in UN). While we have Jews living in SA who oppose ISRAEL and call it an APARTHEID STATE.
Re: Shame: Israel’s Hails Jonathan As Nigeria Block Palestinian UN Resolution by kwametut: 1:47pm On Jan 02, 2015
SOUTH AFRICANS OF ALL RACES ARE AGAINST RACIST APARTHEID ISRAEL...
SA Jews stand up against Israel
August 11 2014 at 02:30pm
By LEE RONDGANGER Comment on this story
IOL pro-israel rally 8 A pro-Israeli rally was held near the Jewish Museum in Hatfield Street in Cape Town on Sunday. Picture: Supplied

Durban - Five hundred South African Jews - among them anti-apartheid veterans, prominent authors, musicians, doctors, judges and lawyers - have added their voice to the growing anger against Israel’s military assault on Gaza.

On Sunday, in a half-page advertisement in the Sunday Times, they said they were “appalled and devastated” by Israel’s assault on Gaza and called on like-minded people of the community to sign an online petition against the aggression.

They also distanced themselves from local Jewish organisations, accusing them of having “blind support for Israel’s disproportionate actions”.

Prominent Jews who signed the petition include former MP Ben Turok, Dr Ann-Marie Wolpe, the wife of anti-apartheid activist Harold Wolpe, authors Mark Gevisser, Maureen Isaacson, Antony Altbeker, musician David Kramer and High Court judge Dennis Davis.

They called for a permanent ceasefire in the region that has so far claimed the lives of more than 1 800 Palestinians and 67 Israelis.

The petition will be handed over to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Israeli ambassador to South Africa Arthur Lenk and Avrom Krengel, chairman of the South African Zionist Federation.

According to the advert, some signatories had asked to remain anonymous out of concern that they may face intimidation or marginalisation in the community.

The petition says that more than 70 percent of the Palestinian casualties have been civilians, a quarter of whom were children. About 9 000 Palestinians had been wounded and 520 000 displaced.

“Prior to the assault on Gaza at least nine people lost their lives in clashes in the West Bank, including the murder of three Israeli teens - Naftali Fraenkel, Gilad Shaer and Eyal Yifrah - and the burning alive of Palestinian teenager Mohammad Abu Khdair; we condemn these murders and mourn these lives lost,” the petition reads.

“This is the third assault on Gaza in six years. Together with the seven-year blockade these assaults have severely damaged Gaza’s medical facilities, water and sanitation, and electricity infrastructure. Gaza’s economy has been crippled and there is a critical shortage of basic goods. Despite Israel’s physical withdrawal in 2005, Gaza remains unfree.

“We are proudly Jewish. We know that every human being is invested with inherent dignity, every life equal. Just as we resist anti-Semitism, we refuse to dehumanise Palestinians in order to make their deaths lighter on our collective conscience. We sign this statement in order to affirm their humanity and our own.”

They called for an immediate ceasefire and an “end to the death and destruction”.

The petition continued: “Beyond that we believe that the way forward must involve Israel lifting the blockade of Gaza, ending the occupation of the West Bank and fully complying with international law. Attacks on Israeli civilians and rockets fired into Israeli towns must stop; these are illegal, counterproductive and wrong.

Lubna Nadvi, spokeswoman for the KwaZulu-Natal Palestine Solidarity Forum, welcomed the petition and said many “people of conscious”, including Jewish people, were realising that there was “genocide” taking place in Gaza.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking!!! Bukola Saraki Decamp To PDP. Removes APC Logo / Its Really Funny No South Eastern State Capital Was Included By Twitter / Nigeria Army Kills Nnamdi Kanu Dog During Home Invasion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.