Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,277 members, 7,815,469 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

Sony Makes The Best Laptops - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Sony Makes The Best Laptops (18911 Views)

Poll: Who makes the best laptops?

Sony: 20% (33 votes)
HP: 20% (33 votes)
Dell: 18% (30 votes)
Lenovo (IBM): 4% (7 votes)
Toshiba: 13% (21 votes)
Acer: 3% (6 votes)
Apple: 18% (30 votes)
This poll has ended

Best Laptops With Great Graphics For Gaming / Best Laptops Here For Sale / Toshiba Makes The Best Laptops. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by A40(m): 11:04pm On Dec 25, 2008
Apple is the shiznit they don't make them like Macs for real,Sony Vaio is a close second its resolution is top-notch
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by SisiJinx: 11:10pm On Dec 25, 2008
Sony Vaio is the WORST laptop I've ever used. Got mine less than a year ago and it's already falling apart. The plugging thingy has become so loose, you'd think it just had ten babies at once and the keys are so soft. Gah!!!

Hate Sony!! angry
Dell or HP is the way to go.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by SisiJinx: 11:13pm On Dec 25, 2008
Wait. . . Why is Acer in the poll? Isn't it a toy lappy for l'il kiddies?

And what in the world is Lenowhatever? Never heard of it.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Nobody: 11:17pm On Dec 25, 2008
If you like fancy stuff (like me) . . . get an HP

If you want workhorse performance . . . get Dell

If you want a trouble free laptop for yrs . . . apple is the way to go.

If you wish to buy a laptop to catalogue the grocery bill for the month and for the kids to learn ABC . . . Acer is for you.

1 Like

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by A40(m): 11:53pm On Dec 25, 2008
Lenovo is decent and yeah Dell is a workhorse! very functional and their new models are almost like vaults
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by texazzpete(m): 12:22am On Dec 26, 2008
What's with Nigerians and their love for generic brand names?
I've seen someone i know buy an inferior specced HP laptop over a more powerful Toshiba rig simply because someone told him that 'HP was the best'.

NEVER compare 'Sony' vs 'HP' or 'Dell vs Toshiba'. Compare Sony VAIO ARxx laptop with Dell Inspiron 15xx. All laptop manufacturers make crappy laptops as well as high end beasts, so always check up on the model in question first.

Had a colleague arguing with me that 'Sony Bravia LCDs are the best in the market'. You can't compare a top of the range Bravia to a budget Samsung, just as you cannot compare a top tier Samsung/Sharp TV to a mid-level Bravia HDTV.

1 Like

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by xJaysonx(m): 12:25am On Dec 26, 2008
Mayne, it's definitely Sony Vaio. My little sis gat this portable pink sony vaio. 4GB Ram, as a system freak i would say the system is just too sweet. Perfect graphics, speed, webcamThe system is just perfect!

Hp systems aren't strong. To cut the story short if little water pour on them, it destroys the keypads if not almost all. Dell is aite but of all the dell inspiron systems have usedthey lack speed.

Acer. . . embarassed WellI do use my sis 4GB Acer but it has this problem about the screen going white and now it's totally blank white.

As for Apple. They are Solid systems!

Above all, have not had half problem with Sony the VAIO that is!
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by netotse(m): 12:26am On Dec 26, 2008
i think i'm in the sony camp on this,
recently had a HP pavillion dv6700SE built and not up too 4 months after my wireless has developed issues, i checked online and found a lot of people with similar problems and more than half of them were complaining about HP support(fear has not even let me contact dem yet), dells are good nice battery life IBMs too but ultimately sony is the best,
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Nobody: 12:31am On Dec 26, 2008
x Jayson x:

Mayne, it's definitely Sony Vaio. My little sis gat this portable pink sony vaio. 4GB Ram, as a system freak i would say the system is just too sweet. Perfect graphics, speed, webcamThe system is just perfect!

Hp systems aren't strong. To cut the story short if little water pour on them, it destroys the keypads if not almost all. Dell is aite but of all the dell inspiron systems have usedthey lack speed.

Acer. . . embarassed WellI do use my sis 4GB Acer but it has this problem about the screen going white and now it's totally blank white.

As for Apple. They are Solid systems!

Above all, have not had half problem with Sony the VAIO that is!

I'm with you on the highlighted. My HP keypad has a problem because i spilled some liquid on it.

Well TexazzPete is right, Dell Inspiron is like their cheapest PC and thus lack speed. I use a Dell Optiplex and its a breeze.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Muza(m): 1:05am On Dec 26, 2008
Installed FIFA 09 on my Vaio,
the graphics is just like PS3,u can play at the highest settings,thanks to my powerful nvidia graphic card.
the screen has wat they call double lamp technology that allows u to view the screen clearly from every possible angle,thats so awesome.
Sony is just too much,anybody who doesnt give it up for vaio has obviously not tried one.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by dtwsola(m): 1:59am On Dec 26, 2008
The Sony Vaio (pcg-k13) that I had was absolute crap. Sure it had a bright screen, but it was also quite bulky and heavy (for its time), and had horrible battery life (definitely a minus for Nigeria). On the other hand, my Dell Latitude has been the most functional laptop I ever used, even though it doesn't have all the bellls and whistles, and it also has an excellent warranty. As for performance, a laptop is simply a function of its components, and has nothing to do with the manufacturer.

Having said that, the Apple Macbook Pro is simply superior to all other laptops if money is not an issue. No question about it, and it easily runs crappy Windows OS if you're so inclined.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by defman: 2:12am On Dec 26, 2008
Lenovo (IBM) laptops are the most rugged for sure. Dell is probably the least rugged. Can't say much for Apple, never used it. HP is OK, Toshiba is OK too. Sony is a bit better than HP but not as rugged as Lenovo.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by tpia: 3:05am On Dec 26, 2008
I like HP, but I wish they'd make stronger keypads.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by amor4ce(m): 3:19am On Dec 26, 2008
out of carelessess my macbook has slippped out of my hands onto the floor like over 5 times yet performance hasnt been affected;it once fell hard onto the hard ground. a laptop should be durable enough to withstand being flung across a room
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Cogito(m): 3:54am On Dec 26, 2008
I have to go with Sony Vaio.
Although my laptop just died (Sony FZ-21Z) I'm patiently waiting for it to be repaired. I'm currently using a HP laptop that I can't stand!!!
Seriously, Sony is just quality.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Muza(m): 4:05am On Dec 26, 2008
amor4ce:

out of carelessess my macbook has slippped out of my hands onto the floor like over 5 times yet performance hasnt been affected;it once fell hard onto the hard ground. a laptop should be durable enough to withstand being flung across a room

u sure cant be serious grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Echeozo(m): 4:14am On Dec 26, 2008
=
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by rocka: 6:19am On Dec 26, 2008
I have a Toshiba Satellite and It's been great.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by kosovo(m): 6:58am On Dec 26, 2008
Sony is a electronic giant, the largest consumer electronic company in the world.
when you buy sony you buy quality, they put their consumers first; that why when there is minor problem with a product, there is an immediate recall.
the only hurdle, is their PRICE,.
well nothing good comes with low price tag.
Sony rules!

1 Like

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by cabali(m): 7:17am On Dec 26, 2008
@ sauron

You right abt the dell X The experience is tremendous but thats the only one I know will give that much of experience from DELL. I need to make more contact with dell to get that.  grin
but I am biased here; I am a sony fan so mayb i should get lost from this thread.

But best laptops are we talking abt design, ruggedness or what? lets put a pin on it so we can say generally, for instance, IBM does rugged laptops or sony makes good designs
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Frizy(m): 8:38am On Dec 26, 2008
@poster
I agree my Dell is shit!  grin. Am thinking of getting a MacBook. undecided
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by SCYLLA: 9:40am On Dec 26, 2008
This seems to be a norm here, everyone talks without defining what they are saying.
Under what conditions are you comparing?
First and foremost the systems you are comparing have to be either high end or low end. I cannot say BMW makes the best cars while comparing a x5 to a mercedes benz 200
If you compare a high end sony and a high end hp or acer you will find the line is not as easy as you are drawing it.
Furthermore if I say peugeot makes the best cars because their parts are readily available while comparing a 504 to a car whose parts are hard to find.
So make the lines clearer, a game freak will always think a laptop with a good graphics card and screen resolution is the best, a Nasa scientist dealing with machine code might have something else in mind.
In the end just like cars and phones, its all relative.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by DrTony1(m): 10:18am On Dec 26, 2008
When U guys talk about Dell's quality,I wonder!!! Cos I got my Dell Inspiron 6000 a few months ago and its already had a problem with the DC Power Jack,even after all my extreme carefulness with d lappy.For me I'll go with Sony Its just too cool for my liking
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by lynxnoon(m): 10:51am On Dec 26, 2008
cabali:

@ sauron

You right about the dell X The experience is tremendous but thats the only one I know will give that much of experience from DELL. I need to make more contact with dell to get that.  grin
but I am biased here; I am a sony fan so mayb i should get lost from this thread.

But best laptops are we talking about design, ruggedness or what? lets put a pin on it so we can say generally, for instance, IBM does rugged laptops or sony makes good designs
i agree on dat
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by poshdre1(m): 11:04am On Dec 26, 2008
I'd rather have a Sony Vaio.

HP (are like Toyotas in the auto industry) - parts are cheap and readily available but they are mass-produced so the quality drops.

MACs are cool but expensive to maintain.

Just my 2 cents.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by grandjedi(m): 11:33am On Dec 26, 2008
From my own experience, APPLE is KING!!!
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 26, 2008
I go for SONY VAIO GBAM!!!
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by canachy(m): 11:55am On Dec 26, 2008
My laptop's screen is bad; please where and how can I replace this screen. the laptop's model is (sony vaio VGN-NR22M/S) and the screen is a 15.4WXGA 1280 x 800 x-black lcd.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Nobody: 12:03pm On Dec 26, 2008
I think the best laptop should be judged based on durability and access to support/customer service.
Some people made comments about specs. Thats so irrelevant because you can get any spec on any laptop you want.
Dell and HP both have good customer support. I have both a Dell and HP. Dell batteries seem to last a little bit longer.
It's between Dell and HP
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by lynxnoon(m): 2:17pm On Dec 26, 2008
just got a HP pavillion Artist Edition
men am i enjoying it wink smiley grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by ono(m): 3:34pm On Dec 26, 2008
I'm with Texazzpete on this one. You need to compare ''apple for apple''.

But All said and done, I still fancy my HP Pavillion DV9420US. multiple USB ports, 17'' double lamps at both ends, Windows Aero, extremely powerful web and ''voice'' cams (if there's anything like that) - I mean, folks hear me speak on YIM even when I'm some 3 metres away from the PC.

Now, talk about support, I haven't tried others yet, and I hope I'll never have any reason to, but I think HP has got some of the best hands so far. My 17'' screen came up with a line problem recently, and when I called for help, they came in handy. They requested that I bring the PC to the place of purchase, US, North Carolina. Laptop was under warranty, so they can help fix it for free. I did that, and they changed the screen outright for no fee. Screen is working perfectly now. I don't know about some of you here. But I've had the best deal with this HP laptop.

I see other laptops around. Sony, Dell, Toshiba, Apple. Well I guess they're all good. But I've never had any reason to want to do away with this HP Pavillion DV9420US yet - two years on now, still working perfectly.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Cayon(f): 3:39pm On Dec 26, 2008
I am a sucker for Apple.  the two computers i have in my home (for personal/business) are Apples.  Although I have a Compaq laptop that i use for Nairaland solely.  In case the Nigerian "bad boys" want come a yard - there is nothing to see grin grin grin.  Also, the compaq is for my family and guests to use

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

London used Macbook Pro 2013 laptop in Abuja | Kaduna for 200,000 >>>[SOLD √√√√] / How Long Does Your Laptop Battery Last? / How Are You Preparing For The Internet Outage On July 9 ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.