Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,208 members, 7,815,219 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:10 AM

Sony Makes The Best Laptops - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Sony Makes The Best Laptops (18908 Views)

Poll: Who makes the best laptops?

Sony: 20% (33 votes)
HP: 20% (33 votes)
Dell: 18% (30 votes)
Lenovo (IBM): 4% (7 votes)
Toshiba: 13% (21 votes)
Acer: 3% (6 votes)
Apple: 18% (30 votes)
This poll has ended

Best Laptops With Great Graphics For Gaming / Best Laptops Here For Sale / Toshiba Makes The Best Laptops. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by arnold2g3(m): 4:46pm On Dec 26, 2008
Guess it depends on what best means to the individual. Personally owned all the sony in the sz, tz and ux series, being a sony freak cos of the screen resolution but i know when it comes to multi tasking the sonys cant compare to alienwares. So guess it pretty much depends on the individuals use for the laptop, i use my sonys when i have to do presentations or go out, it simply makes you look more sophisticated, but when i really want to get work done i get on my macbook pro, only down side is some applications dont work on the mac. So when it comes to looks ill say sony all the way, functionality on the other hand, macbook pro for those who like macs or alienware all d way!!!
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by cabali(m): 4:48pm On Dec 26, 2008
Cayon:

I am a sucker for Apple.  the two computers i have in my home (for personal/business) are Apples.  Although I have a Compaq laptop that i use for Nairaland solely.  In case the "bad boys" want come a yard - there is nothing to see grin grin grin

lol
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Pepeye(f): 6:11pm On Dec 26, 2008
For now. . . im hooked on Dell
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Christino(m): 8:13pm On Dec 26, 2008
The best laptop would be Nokia but I don't think they have plans for that. If they could make a laptop as rugged as the original 3310 then that'd be something, until then I'll say it's Toshiba or maybe, Sony. My brother had this equium, we practically baptised the laptop by immersion on more than 5 occasions, nothing serious happened. The day my inspiron found it's way into Ajah flood, the battery stopped working, so many things went wrong, screen became water clogged, computer village couldn't get the water out said I needed to buy another screen. BOught this cheape 4Gb, 320Gb Acer without NVIDIA/ATI and performance is "POOR", I should have allowed old man to get me a 2G Mad ass Toshiba instead.

Battery wise, the Dell is the undisputed Heavyweight champ. My Inspiron 1525 used to last 4:45hours, my Acer does 1 hour if I fast and pray. Toshiba batteries of nowadays are almost as good, doing 3 hours on the average (I'm refering to the batteries that ship with the laptops normally, not the special 8 hours ones)

You want to know who makes quality, go to second hand dealers. If you rarely see a particular make there, it's likely they are too expensive or not good at all.

All the best, but please avoid HP for now, full of crap and shit, no accompanying CDs. Visit Reddington and see piles and piles of faulty HP laptops. Same at PC outlet. At least dv6xxx series aren't worth it, even with NVIDIA and AMD Turion bull crap.

I'd say buy Acer midget @ 45k instead! Half bread is better than stone. grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Nobody: 8:30pm On Dec 26, 2008
It is no longer news that sony produces one of the hottest(i mean heater) Laptop,
A friend go a vaio and had to put something on his lap to insulate against the heat.

I still feel the best comes from toshiba, just that their best laptops come as heavy duties, always very very very heavy. a good example is the Qosmios

I think Dell is next
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by hedges007(m): 8:36pm On Dec 26, 2008
Well, i have HP Compaq Laptop, and for over a year now, it has been so rugged and durable. But to me, i think the tie is between HP and Sony. But wait ooo, dem dey mention Laptops, person dey mention Acer shocked Acer no be product abeg, na specimen dem dey produce.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Nobody: 10:42pm On Dec 26, 2008
Anything by Apple. Pure power and speed. Very rarely will it crash on you. In all the time I have owned Apple computers, I have never had to go under the hood like with any PC, which is almost weekly to fix something.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by bawomolo(m): 11:06pm On Dec 26, 2008
acer laptops aren't bad for broke ones grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by smurf1(f): 11:12pm On Dec 26, 2008
Try apple!
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by henryskywalker2003(m): 12:07am On Dec 27, 2008
Hi guys. I've been reading thru this post and there somethings I need to clarify. On what basis are u guys checking for the best laptop or are u taking everything into consideration, if so then I dont think sony is the best. Many posters have said many a good thing abt sony like long battery life, better screen etc.

personally, I think saying a laptop is the best is very relative, cos what makes a good laptop for one person might be totally different for another. For example a person might want a laptop that plays high graphics games seamlessly and most definitely thinks such a laptop is the best, while another might want a particular feature and when he/she gets it will assume that its the best. Example Toshiba has a feature of the USB ports being able to charge devices thru the USB even when the laptops are switched off.

And another thing, lets not write off a manufacturer cos we have had a bad episode with one of there products or used there low end products. Example of this is Dell. I can remember when Dell Latitudes had a battery problem that causes it to overheat and in some cases explode or go up in flames, the problem was much that they had to recall the product range so as to change the battery.

In conclusion, for every thing that makes a laptop tick, it is replicated in almost all the other brands (though it can occur in a different range).

My personal best is Toshiba systems because of there ability to charge devices even when they are switched off and also because the network port state can be changed to up by just plugging a RJ-45 jack into it instead of connecting it to a LAN. This comes handy for visualization.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by SisiJinx: 1:35am On Dec 27, 2008
bawomolo:

acer laptops aren't bad for broke ones grin

Tee hee hee! cheesy
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by netotse(m): 1:55am On Dec 27, 2008
had a friend that bought the acer christino was talking about, the poor thing started smoking and blew when it was plugged to a projector so all acer owners BEWARE, the owner is traumatized, trust boys we didnt give him peace when it happened.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by crescent(f): 6:46am On Dec 27, 2008
@ Double N, I think I agree with you that Dell battery last long and Durable, for example I use one of Toshiba products less than a year the battery has drain totally, another friend of mine use Acer the same with battery stuff, however my second friend use dell and his own battery last longer, mind you all this laptop are bought relatively at the same time. So I have make up mind to take it long on Dell nest year
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Djcn: 7:46am On Dec 27, 2008
I make my own lappies and believe this, they are the best. grin cheesy
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Habib(m): 10:14am On Dec 27, 2008
@ Poster: For me, Dell is it!

Ladies and gentlemen, please anyone with experience using the Dell Studio 17, what is/was your experience like, any issues etc.?

Also, please I'd like to know where one can buy Dell laptops in Lagos apart from Otigba and The Palms? I'd prefer an exclusively Dell shop or any big PC outlet. Thanks.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by echelon(m): 12:03pm On Dec 27, 2008
I wouldn't say one particular mfr makes the best laptops.

There should be comparisons based on tech specs and price, afterall most of the parts are generic

I've found out that the big brands are normally much more expensive and not all that foolproof

Right now I use a 12.1" Acer Travelmate 6292. It used to be a 14.1" hp compaq 6510b.

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by flyuche(m): 12:16pm On Dec 27, 2008
netotse:

had a friend that bought the acer christino was talking about, the poor thing started smoking and blew when it was plugged to a projector so all acer owners BEWARE, the owner is traumatized, trust boys we didnt give him peace when it happened.
that's a joke. my first, second and third notebooks are all ACERS. Acer makes good notebooks. ever wondered why  it's the leading notebook maker and the third global pc vendor?. for every brand, there are models that suits the need of business people. these  models are are made a little more rugged than notebooks that are intended to be used more often stationed at a place. for example they have features that safeguard your HDD, spill resistant key boards, carbon fiber or magnesium -alloy casing etc. you find such features in Acer travelmates, Dell latitudes, sony viao BZ series, toshiba tecras or satellite pro,Lenovo thinkpads etc
when i chose a laptop, i consider this factor. i carry my notebook around very often.
another thing to consider is how you handle your notebook.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by flyuche(m): 12:22pm On Dec 27, 2008
echelon:

Right now I use a 12.1" Acer Travelmate 6292. It used to be a 14.1" hp compaq 6510b.
how do you mean?
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by echelon(m): 12:32pm On Dec 27, 2008
I lost the hp compaq
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by samir101ng(m): 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2008
In my humble opinion, Apple makes the best laptops by far. Their laptops are a reflection of true synergy. Both the hardware and operating system are in sync and the utmost attention is paid to both. And their designs are just beautiful. Just check out the specs of the new apple macbook. http://www.apple.com/macbook/specs.html

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Christino(m): 2:21pm On Dec 27, 2008
Ever wondered why I didn't even mention the apple? Its unaffordable to the common man, but it's the best, that's why Media houses and SERIOUS people use the MAC, but many a software are not built for it. Alienware, well, I can as well clone a tower to beat it grin It's just configuration, but when you look at ruggedity, battery life, user experience rating, heat dissipation, screen/image quality, keyboard response, design, ports e.t.c. I'll generally give it to the Toshiba, of course still far far behind Apple, so please let's not even discuss Apple cos it's way up there. Reality is many people here have not used one let alone have one. Abi I lie? Some will even tell u the MacBook Pro runs on Vista tongue

NVM, use ur laptop well, if you like buy Acer Ferrari or Apple go dump inside swimming pool like 3310, e go shock u. grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by samir101ng(m): 2:42pm On Dec 27, 2008
Eh ! Is Toshiba still making laptops ? sad sad sad Toshiba laptops are so ugggggggly ! hehehehe. I seriously believe if you start comparing the criteria you mentioned against other laptop manufacture's Toshiba doesn't stand a chance. Their global unit sales is a clear indicator. I believe many people in this thread have spoken on whether how we can call a particular laptop brand as the best is all relative of who you are and what you intend to use the laptop for. Price apart (that's also relative), Apple is an overall contender.

NVM, use ur laptop well, if you like buy Acer Ferrari or Apple go dump inside swimming pool like 3310, e go shock u. Grin

angry angry angry
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Muza(m): 3:48pm On Dec 27, 2008
If James Bond could use it,then its got to be the best! grin

Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by NobleOnye(f): 4:45pm On Dec 27, 2008
sony??!!!.ild rather go for toshiba or hp!
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by henryskywalker2003(m): 5:00pm On Dec 27, 2008
@ Samir101ng
Eh ! Is Toshiba still making laptops ? Sad Sad Sad Toshiba laptops are so ugggggggly ! hehehehe. I seriously believe if you start comparing the criteria you mentioned against other laptop manufacture's Toshiba doesn't stand a chance. Their global unit sales is a clear indicator

Actually Toshiba is the very first manufacturer to make a laptop computer and mind you that doesn't make them the best but they are a force to be contended with in the industry.

@ flyuche
for every brand, there are models that suits the need of business people. these models are are made a little more rugged than notebooks that are intended to be used more often stationed at a place. for example they have features that safeguard your HDD, spill resistant key boards, carbon fiber or magnesium -alloy casing etc. you find such features in Acer travelmates, Dell latitudes, sony viao BZ series, toshiba tecras or satellite pro,Lenovo thinkpads etc
when i chose a laptop, i consider this factor. i carry my notebook around very often.
another thing to consider is how you handle your notebook.

You have said it all. thats wht I've been trying to get across, as much as u guys think sony is beautiful and all that, there are others out there that are way better. eg Falcon Northwest
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by NobleOnye(f): 5:06pm On Dec 27, 2008
?? undecidedHello!, james bond also used sony ericsson!,bt its nt d best.is it?.what they use in the movies is jst called sponsorship! grin
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Emilo(m): 5:28pm On Dec 27, 2008
Do u guys know that in a recent research that it was found out that sony's batteries produces the largest amout of radiation and that d U.s govt is about to stop the importation of this computer,sony themseelves are recalling this batteries from the market.Wheather it is a US propanganda or not is what i dont know considering the fierce competition wit apple.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by flyuche(m): 7:34pm On Dec 27, 2008
@samir101. toshiba is holding the fourth spot in laptop sales, and it makes just laptops. apple is good but definitely not the best. sony makes classy and expensive notebooks. for me, my lappy got to be rugged. just got myself a thinkpad. they say they are legendary, i can't agree any less.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by Naijex: 10:09pm On Dec 27, 2008
Dell tends to more durable among laptops.
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by netotse(m): 12:16am On Dec 28, 2008
meennnn that james bond laptop is IT o! wot are d specs(imma google it now)
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by cabali(m): 8:46am On Dec 28, 2008
flyuche:

for me, my lappy got to be rugged. just got myself a thinkpad. they say they are legendary, i can't agree any less.

I agree with you. I have an IBM thinkpad I have been using for 5 years. It has refused to die. It is so strong I cant imagine. I use a tablet for light stuff but when it comes to the admin of my DB and rough stuff, the thinkpad does the deed for me
Re: Sony Makes The Best Laptops by PurestBoy(m): 9:32am On Dec 28, 2008
What about Advent laptop?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

London used Macbook Pro 2013 laptop in Abuja | Kaduna for 200,000 >>>[SOLD √√√√] / How Long Does Your Laptop Battery Last? / How Are You Preparing For The Internet Outage On July 9 ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.