Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,926 members, 7,828,207 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. (41563 Views)

Hydro Plants Boost Electricity Generation To 3,686.3mw / Blackout: Electricity Generation Sinks To 1,580MW / Electricity Generation Rises Again To 4,656 Megawatts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by beeyee: 12:16am On Jan 04, 2015
Which 4th in Africa was in Cameroun for 2 weeks, there their electricity did not go off even for 1 mins. This article is trying to paint Jonathan well.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:16am On Jan 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Are you serious? Look again at the image, in the area where lagos is, why is Lagos illuminated when it isn't oil producing (no gas flaring) in the first place? What about other states in the south that are illuminated but aren't oil producing? Taking a look at the night image of lagos, given below, for example, are you telling me that such a brightly illuminated city as seen from its night image wouldn't appear illuminated on the satelllite image but rather gas flaring pole fires located far-away in Rivers state, Delta states are responsible for illumination in the lagos area? Are you being serious??

[img]http://www.travel-wonders.com/wp-content/uploads/Melbourne+Skyline+Night+11.jpg[/img]

Chairman...have you looked at the visualization of the gas flaring? http://skytruth.org/viirs/

You might want to take a second look at the pic we're talking about...the area I'm referring to as gas flares doesn't extend up to lagos...over lagos you'll see a tiny dot that doesn't have the reddish(or is it orange) tinge that tells you that what you're seeing is intense heat and light as a result of that heat.

P.S.
those lights are not as bright as the flame if you are considering the amount of energy. If you have the time you could try reading up on the difference between a lumen, lux and candela. It's all physics.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by gnykelly(m): 12:17am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

It's never really on single issue, it's usually a mix of them...the more common ones are:

1. fuel shortage is a major problem in Nigeria, sometimes we dont have enough gas for the gas-fired stations,
2. sometimes it could be that there is a problem with some generators at different generating companies in the grid,
3. sometimes there might be a problem in the transmission grid that results in power being available but Transmission coy of Nigeria cant transport it,

The grid is made up of a large number of individual pieces of equipment, the problem with such a system is that as the number of components of a system increases, it's reliability is likely to decrease. Feraz mentioned building larger units (you could say power plants), this would help with nos. 2 and 3 but not 1.

Designing a power sector isn't an easy task, if you now have funding constraints...smh.

how feasible do you think the privatisation is. what do you think will be the right strategy to adopt for rapid power generation.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 12:19am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
Anytime you see an appeal to irrelevancies you know your man is just blustering and bluffing.

Universities have nothing to do with the rubbish you have been saying
Is there a number agreed by FIFA, ECOMOG,ISIS ,The Red Cross, MEND ,OPC or WHO of Megawatts above which it is a plant and below which it is a "TOY" or was the Order issued by Boko Haram??

What is that number or did you just decide it on this thread

Sheer common sense should tell you that a 10mw facility cannot be mentioned when we're talking of a nation's first power plants. 10 mw can hardly power more than a few streets. Those things were just generator yards. Please don't mention them outside when someone asks you about the first power stations in Nigeria.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Feraz(m): 12:20am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
The River Niger does not have the same capacity as the Yangtze river. Also what if other countries decide to dam it further up stream
Gas seems more efficient to me The station at Egbin is the biggest in the country and I am sure that the total land area covered will not come anywhere near Kainji. In the case of Kainji thousands of villagers were resettled and compensated . We should be building plants directly in the Niger Delta and this will create thousands of Jobs. 5000MW plants are possible and if we build 5 of that it would be a great start

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surgut-2_Power_Station

The Surgut 2 is the Largest Gas powered station in the world/ One plant generating more than everything we generate in Nigeria
Any reason why we haven't attained the bolded?
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 12:20am On Jan 04, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Sheer common sense should tell you that a 10mw facility cannot be mentioned when we're talking of a nation's first power plants. 10 mw can hardly power more than a few streets. Those things were just generator yards. Please don't mention them outside when someone asks you about the first power stations in Nigeria.
You are boring,really!
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by 14(m): 12:20am On Jan 04, 2015
Kusile Power station
Cost: $20 Billion
completion: 2017
Capacity: 4800MW

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 12:21am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
You are boring,really!

Go climb on a 10mw ''power plant'' and sing God Save the Queen you dumbasss moro.n.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by gnykelly(m): 12:25am On Jan 04, 2015
wirinet:

If you push 10,000Mw through our transmission lines, the system would collapse. Our sub-stations cannot accommodate more than 4,000Mw or at best 4,500Mw for sustain periods of time.

then why build more instead divide the grid in geo political zone and strengthen each.
with what you have said we need to replace the grid.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:26am On Jan 04, 2015
Feraz:
When I went on a field trip to Ihovbor power plant in Edo state, the guy mentioned the above and when asked, he said apart from the vandalisation ish, that NGC will prefer sending the gas to other users that will pay higher; that that is why they have gas shortage in the above power plant.
Apologies for my blunders. I meant to say two power stations in Niger not 'major'.

The second, I'm quite lost.

Guy...If you have a commodity to sell, wouldn't you rather sell to the higher bidder? gas prices for power plants were just increased to $2.50 from $1.50 and before that it was 90 cents or something equally atrocious.

Now as an IPP, knowing that you're going to be paid $1.50 per Mscf(that's how gas is measured in the energy sector in naija), and the money wouldn't even be paid in time, would you bother investing in equipment to utilize the gas?

It's always been cheaper to pay the fines associated with flaring gas rather than harnessing the gas for other uses. Govt is trying to change that hence the increase in gas prices.

P.S. remember I told you gas prices increased to $2.50 per Mscf? try finding out what international prices were for natural gas before the crude drop.

As per the second think I typed...I can tell you're an engineer from the way you write but you made some mistakes that show you dont have that good a grasp of the power sector.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 12:28am On Jan 04, 2015
Feraz:
Any reason why we haven't attained the bolded?
For one we lack the knowledge. If the question is why well I have my own theory: I think the fundamental problem is we have STILL not decided to live together as one country and that manifests as institutionalized indecisiveness. Maybe deep down we know we shall have to break up and that is why we make crazy decisions like building Abuja e.g. Also we are too superstitious ( we call it religion) and so do not plan our development on the basis of a strategic acquisition of Knowledge. I say without fear of contradiction that there is no Nigerian body charged with the acquisition of knowledge in a strategic way. We are not even capable of getting fish out of out 1000 km coast not to talk of the coast os our neighbours but there are Chinese fishermen off the coast of West Africa. So you see our thinking is focused on individual enjoyment and fear of enemies and not on anything in the National Interest because we do not believe in the Nation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Feraz(m): 12:29am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

Guy...If you have a commodity to sell, wouldn't you rather sell to the higher bidder? gas prices for power plants were just increased to $2.50 from $1.50 and before that it was 90 cents or something equally atrocious.

Now as an IPP, knowing that you're going to be paid $1.50 per Mscf(that's how gas is measured in the energy sector in naija), and the money wouldn't even be paid in time, would you bother investing in equipment to utilize the gas?

It's always been cheaper to pay the fines associated with flaring gas rather than harnessing the gas for other uses. Govt is trying to change that hence the increase in gas prices.

P.S. remember I told you gas prices increased to $2.50 per Mscf? try finding out what international prices were for natural gas before the crude drop.

As per the second think I typed...I can tell you're an engineer from the way you write but you made some mistakes that show you dont have that good a grasp of the power sector.
Thanks for enlightening me. I'm not yet one though, just graduated. smiley
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 12:30am On Jan 04, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Go climb on a 10mw ''power plant'' and sing God Save the Queen you dumbasss moro.n.
Your mother is the dumbass who will fall in front of a truck and die
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 12:31am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
Your mother is the dumbass who will fall in front of a truck and die

Wow....such evil. I pray your wishes don't come true.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:32am On Jan 04, 2015
gnykelly:

how feasible do you think the privatisation is. what do you think will be the right strategy to adopt for rapid power generation.
This govt has taken the right steps, the problem is that Power in Nigeria is a political tool and so they cannot take "business decisions" or allow the companies that bought the assets run them in the way capitalists would.

To fix the power sector what we need is a mix of economics, finance and engineering, it's not an easy task. Govt has it's work cut out.

there's a document called the roadmap for power available online at www.nigeriapowerreform.org you could read it if you're interested in the details.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 12:33am On Jan 04, 2015
ROSSIKE:

Wow....such evil.
Guy I no send you or your family you talk anyha you go see anyha Na Sango go kill all of una
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 12:35am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
Guy I no send you or your family you talk anyha you go see anyha Na Sango go kill all of una

Be careful the deity doesn't strike you down first....you know they can be unpredictable.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by 14(m): 12:35am On Jan 04, 2015
Ela59:
"TOTAL DARKNESS" When are we going to compete with the rest?

Africa at night

Only SA has lights, Africa lets wake up and develop our countries. We cant continue living in darkness in this day in age.

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 12:37am On Jan 04, 2015
I was looking for Ghana undecided
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:37am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:

Bros easy na...just cause you guys dont agree isn't enough cause to insult his family.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by RaptorX: 12:39am On Jan 04, 2015
wise7:
it means most african countries are without power supply (total darkness)
Why do you think Africa is called the dark continent.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 12:44am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

This govt has taken the right steps, the problem is that Power in Nigeria is a political tool and so they cannot take "business decisions" or allow the companies that bought the assets run them in the way capitalists would.

To fix the power sector what we need is a mix of economics, finance and engineering, it's not an easy task. Govt has it's work cut out.

there's a document called the roadmap for power available online at www.nigeriapowerreform.org you could read it if you're interested in the details.

I do not believe there is any country where it is not political. The key thing though is to have local development of technologies and skills so the sector is not vulnerable to international politics e.g sanctions and to have secure and reliable energy sources e.g gas. Part of te problem is Nigerians are not entrepreneurial on this kind of scale and so the only player so far has been government. There are no Nigerian businessmen investing n key sectors of our economy which is the fundamental difference with advanced economies. They are not all as capitalist as they posture. They are political business serving a national interest agenda and this has always been the case since the time of the Royal Niger Company(UAC). We have seen this demonstrated against Cuba and more recently Iran and Cuba. China is strong because China has acquired engineering competence. We must do the same. e do not make weapons and cannot defeat Boko Haram but there is no one thinking how do we solve this problem in 20 years time. How do we gain these competencies instead we pray and listen to Adeboye's prophecies

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:44am On Jan 04, 2015
Feraz:
Thanks for enlightening me. I'm not yet one though, just graduated. smiley

All the best in your career...you need to constantly expand your knowledge base, the most valuable people in the power sector aren't the ones that can couple a transformer with their eyes closed, it's the guys that have the clearest understanding of the value chain.

If power is your thing, you can try reading the roadmap(I pasted a link to the site some replies back). There are two versions, I'd recommend you read both.

Measure twice then cut once.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:47am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
I do not believe there is any country where it is not political. The key thing though is to have local development of technologies and skills so the sector is not vulnerable to international politics e.g sanctions and to have secure and reliable energy sources e.g gas. Part of te problem is Nigerians are not entrepreneurial on this kind of scale and so the only player so far has been government. There are no Nigerian businessmen investing n key sectors of our economy which is the fundamental difference with advanced economies. They are not all as capitalist as they posture. They are political business serving a national interest agenda and this has always been the case since the time of the Royal Niger Company(UAC). We have seen this demonstrated against Cuba and more recently Iran and Cuba. China is strong because China has acquired engineering competence. We must do the same. e do not make weapons and cannot defeat Boko Haram but there is no one thinking how do we solve this problem in 20 years time. How do we gain these competencies instead we pray and listen to Adeboye's prophecies

Bros...try and find out the countries where the citizenry dont pay a cost reflective tariff for power and let us know how they are faring.

NO vex say I dey give you assignment. Sleep don dey hammer me.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 12:47am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

Bros easy na...just cause you guys dont agree isn't enough cause to insult his family.
Well we did not just disagree he called me a moro.n I don't take that from anyone. That is crossing the line. Once that happens I have to use the nuclear deterrent for him and any others. You insult me I insult your entire family and pray for their painful demise. Jeje lomo Eko n lo.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:51am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
Well we did not just disagree he called me a moro.n I don't take that from anyone. That is crossing the line. Once that happens I have to use the nuclear deterrent for him and any others. You insult me I insult your entire family and pray for their painful demise

Which God you dey pray to? cause the one wey me sabi no dey hear those kain prayers o...lol. I still don't believe it was necessary for you to bring his family into it...there's nothing honourable in that man.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 12:51am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

Bros...try and find out the countries where the citizenry dont pay a cost reflective tariff for power and let us know how they are faring.

NO vex say I dey give you assignment. Sleep don dey hammer me.
Not sure where that is leading,I am sure you would find it quite interesting to study the molecular structure of Benzene but have no reason to recommend that , if you have a communication to make please do so .
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Feraz(m): 12:53am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

All the best in your career...you need to constantly expand your knowledge base, the most valuable people in the power sector aren't the ones that can couple a transformer with their eyes closed, it's the guys that have the clearest understanding of the value chain.

If power is your thing, you can try reading the roadmap(I pasted a link to the site some replies back). There are two versions, I'd recommend you read both.

Measure twice then cut once.
That I'm doing. Taking some courses online from www.edx.org
Thanks.
omonnakoda:
From the above, what will you say about our brothers down East who have shown that they can develop local technologies?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by omonnakoda: 12:57am On Jan 04, 2015
netotse:

Which God you dey pray to? cause the one wey me sabi no dey hear those kain prayers o...lol. I still don't believe it was necessary for you to bring his family into it...there's nothing honourable in that man.
That is why I am not you I am me so I do what is in my nature . I do not believe I am trying to persuade you to be like me. You be you and I be me d'accord? Lions don't eat grass and goats don't eat meat. Each to their own. Me I have no interest in being insulted an d I make that clear strongly enough so that next time there is no next time
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:57am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
Not sure where that is leading,I am sure you would find it quite interesting to study the molecular structure of Benzene but have no reason to recommend that , if you have a communication to make please do so .

we aren't discussing benzene so there isn't any context for that. Was pointing out that you were over simplifying what I said about the political interference. Nigeria as a country subsidized electricity the most.

Anyways I'm off to bed...Church later today...safe
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by netotse(m): 12:59am On Jan 04, 2015
omonnakoda:
That is why I am not you I am me so I do what is in my nature . I do not believe I am trying to persuade you to be like me. You be you and I be me d'accord? Lions don't eat grass and goats don't eat meat. Each to their own. Me I have no interest in being insulted an d I make that clear strongly enough so that next time there is no next time
no wahala bros
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by bammo: 1:04am On Jan 04, 2015
omenka:
Just imagine the shame of a nation!!

War torn countries like Libya, Syria, and Iraq are above us yet some people wanna brag about this.

Let me do a little research about the electricity supply "per capita" and see where Nigeria stands!! I have no doubt in my mind we'd be the worst!!

Edit.

Booooo!!!! I said it!! Terrible!! cheesy

185th out of 214!!!
106KWh when a country like China with a population of over 2billion is providing its citizens over 11,000KWh per capita!!

www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?v=81000

Shame on our leaders!

The only reason why some Nigerians celebrate news like this is because they are simply ignorant. The best way to assess things like this is to look at them from a "per capita" stand point. I guess not too many people understand what this means. cheesy
you are right.
But why dont you open a new thread and share the knowledge with us. I hope u will

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Biafra: What Buhari Should Have Done To Nnamdi Kanu- Yerima Shettima / Garba Nadama Is Dead / Bomb Blast At Wuse II Abuja (Crystal Lounge)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.