Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,788 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:11 PM

Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. (41507 Views)

Hydro Plants Boost Electricity Generation To 3,686.3mw / Blackout: Electricity Generation Sinks To 1,580MW / Electricity Generation Rises Again To 4,656 Megawatts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jan 04, 2015
And soon to be overtaken by Kenya which will have 6500MW by 2017.
Everytime Kenyans complain about our once a month (In parts of Nairobi.Never) 15minute to 2 hour blackouts.I tend to point out Nigeria's 'Normal' power supply which is akin to the 2001 power rationing we had.
Nigeria has major Electricity issues. I remember there being a week long power blackout right in Lagos.A Week Long!!!Jeez!!If it were Nairobi,People would have gone and dragged the Kenya Power MD from his office and paraded him on the street!!

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by olami234lekan(m): 12:47pm On Jan 04, 2015
Splashme:
Electricity supply will get better.
The right steps are being taken

Are you sure because we are currently no 10 in oil production

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by mikron(m): 12:51pm On Jan 04, 2015
Demdem:
How much has Jonathan added for the past six years?
The fool remains a curse.
pls give this man some respect if not as ur president then as a fellow human being, what has this man done that others before him has not done twofold before? Why dis constant insults? Muslims will come on social media to spew insults on GEJ and foolish and God forsaken Christians will do same instead of supporting our own, this personal insults on GEJ is becoming irritating and annoying here, what did obasanjo do with the 16billion dollars he awarded to NIPP (national independent power projects) few months before he left office? No Id.iot here criticise that move, before then he obasanjo awarded multi-billion dollar contracts to these foney NIPP companies, yet nobody ask questions, GEJ did what other corrupt presidents could not do by selling off NEPA. A move which will yield results in no time. U want him to transform Nigeria in just 4 years what past governments have bastardize since d time of Shagari and obasanjo. Yet u don't want to give him another 4 years to consolidate on what he has started, the funny way how people think is baffling. Well whether the haters like it or not GEJ till 2019. I no want person wey go force me to be a Muslim. No to Buhari, na GEJ we know.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by DrMuzungu(m): 1:02pm On Jan 04, 2015
This shows only the TOTAL production. My small home country of only about 9 million people produces approx. 8500 MW, compared to Nigeria which, with 180+ million, produces only about 4500 MW. That being said, we here produce about 40 (forty!!!) times more per capita.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Demdem(m): 1:10pm On Jan 04, 2015
mikron:
pls give this man some respect if not as ur president then as a fellow human being, what has this man done that others before him has not done twofold before? Why dis constant insults? Muslims will come on social media to spew insults on GEJ and foolish and God forsaken Christians will do same instead of supporting our own, this personal insults on GEJ is becoming irritating and annoying here, what did obasanjo do with the 16billion dollars he awarded to NIPP (national independent power projects) few months before he left office? No Id.iot here criticise that move, before then he obasanjo awarded multi-billion dollar contracts to these foney NIPP companies, yet nobody ask questions, GEJ did what other corrupt presidents could not do by selling off NEPA. A move which will yield results in no time. U want him to transform Nigeria in just 4 years what past governments have bastardize since d time of Shagari and obasanjo. Yet u don't want to give him another 4 years to consolidate on what he has started, the funny way how people think is baffling. Well whether the haters like it or not GEJ till 2019. I no want person wey go force me to be a Muslim. No to Buhari, na GEJ we know.

Fool, i would have torn this thrash of urs u called post into pieces but suddenly have a change of mind because i don't have that time..
Jonathan himself told us 4 yrs is more than sufficient as far as power is concerned so I wonder what neccesisated this stupidity of urs.
Again what insult is the fool receiving that his supporters aren't giving to other sensible leaders? Av u criticised those ones?
Hypocrite, Jonathan himself called leaders of a section of the country rascals, is it out of place if these ones choose to call him a bastard in return?
Never in ur life quote me again with a foolish post like this.
Jonathan till ur early grave.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by olami234lekan(m): 1:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
Splashme:
Electricity supply will get better.
The right steps are being taken

Are you sure about that considering we ranked no 10 in oil production and no 46 in oil consumption compare to no 1 electricity generating country China that rank 5 in oil production but no 2 in oil consumption, my thought they are stealing our money. Look at it this way you father left an inheritance in investment that is earning #1000 per day but the person in charge of it is giving you #1 per annum and you are praising him, what do you think he's saying behind you. http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?t=100&v=88&l=en http://www.indexmundi.com/g/r.aspx?t=100&v=91&l=en
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by mikron(m): 2:40pm On Jan 04, 2015
Demdem:

Fool, i would have torn this thrash of urs u called post into pieces but suddenly have a change of mind because i don't have that time..
Jonathan himself told us 4 yrs is more than sufficient as far as power is concerned so I wonder what neccesisated this stupidity of urs.
Again what insult is the fool receiving that his supporters aren't giving to other sensible leaders? Av u criticised those ones?
Hypocrite, Jonathan himself called leaders of a section of the country rascals, is it out of place if these ones choose to call him a bastard in return?
u re the I. diot and son of LovePeddler that will die early. Ur entire generation will and forever remain fools bastard, Did I call ur name in my post? What's d meaning of this thrash u just vomited here? Fool, ur obasanjo also promised us he ll fix our power problem what did he achieve? Jonathan haters, why don't u go to aso rock to yank him out from there and plant ur Islamic bigot Buhari, keep calling him daft or Jonathan does not change the fact he is still ur president, it will not change d fact that u will die in hate and come to think of it the price of GEJs watch will probably feed u and ur miserable family for d next 10 yrs. U re just a waste of sperm ur mother shld have flushed down d drain. If dem born u well quote me again. Bastard.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by mikron(m): 2:56pm On Jan 04, 2015
Demdem:

ur signature alone speaks alot about who u re. Keep hating GEJ and his family while they keep progressing. Shepopotamus indeed. Modafucker. a.s.s.ho.le
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by kay29000(m): 3:23pm On Jan 04, 2015
Data like this make me sick. Quit all the gramar and paper qualification, there is very poor power supply in Nigeria. period!!!

4th in Africa? They forget to mention that Nigeria has the largest population in the whole of Africa. This data is like saying my neighbor takes better care of children when he provides food for 4 out of 15 of them, while I feed all my 3 kids perfectly well.

Nigeria's case is a sorry one cos it is so unfortunate that large portion of its population are okay with mediocrity.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by tunapius(m): 3:29pm On Jan 04, 2015
Feb 14th is @ d door step
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jan 04, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Why were u looking for Ghana?

Happy new year by the way.
Really? You wanna know? undecided
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by JiggamanGh: 5:00pm On Jan 04, 2015
dovelike:

Yup, I really want 2 know
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by PetroDolla3: 5:29pm On Jan 04, 2015
Yes, I want to know! shocked cool tongue embarassed

[s]
dovelike:

[/s]
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by cardoso111(m): 5:38pm On Jan 04, 2015
Honestly speaking,with the amount of natural resources abounding in Africa we should be among first 5 in the world!

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 04, 2015
PetroDolla3:
Yes, I want to know! shocked cool tongue embarassed

[s][/s]
Is that why you canceled my comment?? angry
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 04, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Yup, I really want 2 know
You should be able to see the hand writting on the wall. But,lemme not trash the country,its in the list of places I will visit...to satisfy a curiousity.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by JiggamanGh: 9:56pm On Jan 04, 2015
dovelike:

You should be able to see the hand writting on the wall. But,lemme not trash the country,its in the list of places I will visit...to satisfy a curiousity.

It's really a lovely place to visit, very fun and peaceful people. It would be just like visiting Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by tola9ja: 10:44pm On Jan 04, 2015
VOTE FOR JONATHAN FOR THE
FOLLOWING ACHIEVEMENTS:
1. Petroleum from N65 to 97.
2. Gari from N150 to N260 for mud.
3. Sugar/flour/ beans/ all from N180 to
250/ mud.
4. NEPA from 1,250 to 4000/Month and no
light.
5. Scarcity of money.
6. Killings from few individuals to whole
community wiped out.
7. Roadblock from 1/40km to 2/3km.
8. Oil bunkering for 10,000/barrels to
100,000/ barrels.
9. Strike of just few organization to many
organizations.
10. Sack of few workers to thousands of
just health workers.
11. WASSCE from 40% to over 70% failure.
12. Trust among citizenry from little to
non. etc.
13. Stealing in billions of Naira to billions
of DOLLARS.
14. Budget implementation for 40% to less
than 20% per year.
15. Roads from potholes to road cut ups
and bridges.
16. Economy from worse to greatest in
Africa, but the masses from poor to
poorest.
17. Political movement from PDP to APC
and vice visa.
18. Transport fare to Kano from N1350 to
N2550.
19. Bribing from only police to soldiers
inclusion.
20. Lastly, ATM charges from non to now
N65 monthly

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by 14(m): 11:18pm On Jan 04, 2015
cardoso111:
Honestly speaking,with the amount of natural resources abounding in Africa we should be among first 5 in the world!

Africa simple does not have money to carry such projects. these kinds of projects are so expensive that they can bankrupt a country. How many countries in Africa with a GDP of more than $20 Billion?
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by 14(m): 11:37pm On Jan 04, 2015
gnykelly:

one of the reason we're borrowing from IMF is to build the kasha villa hydro project. what's your thought.

More needs to be done, Your economy will collapse without power supply. No company would want to invest where power supply is not guaranteed. There is no way that you can have an economic growth without constant power supply. something will give at the end of the day. But your leaders will continue lying to you that the economy is growing at 7%, whereas its in recession. Economic growth must be felt on the ground, the boom of the middle class must be visible. But if everything is stagnant, you must know the economy has hit rock bottom.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 12:28am On Jan 05, 2015
JiggamanGh:

It's really a lovely place to visit, very fun and peaceful people. It would be just like visiting Nigeria.
To ``satisfy`` a curiousity
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by JiggamanGh: 1:24am On Jan 05, 2015
dovelike:

To ``satisfy`` a curiousity

What curiosity might that be? People take what goes on nairaland way too serious. Lots of nigerians consider Ghana their second home and vice versa, because both countries are not that different from each other.

Is a good thing you are not a cat. Your curiosity will be satisfy by the fun, the hospitality and peacefulness of Ghana. The gateway to Africa.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by InvertedHammer: 1:25am On Jan 05, 2015
/
The numbers are deceiving.

A country with a population of 2m producing 4MW is 100x better than a country of 180m producing 4MW.

The analysis should have been in relation to the population size.

\

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 4:30am On Jan 05, 2015
So satisfying a curiosity is now a bad thing?
JiggamanGh:

What curiosity might that be? People take what goes on nairaland way too serious. Lots of nigerians consider Ghana their second home and vice versa, because both countries are not that different from each other.

Is a good thing you are not a cat. Your curiosity will be satisfy by the fun, the hospitality and peacefulness of Ghana. The gateway to Africa.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by JiggamanGh: 5:00am On Jan 05, 2015
dovelike:
So satisfying a curiosity is now a bad thing?

Nope, is not but rest assure that Ghana will satisfy all of your curiosity and more. Like I said is a good thing you are not a cat.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Demdem(m): 7:45am On Jan 05, 2015
mikron:
ur signature alone speaks alot about who u re. Keep hating GEJ and his family while they keep progressing. Shepopotamus indeed. Modafucker. a.s.s.ho.le

Bastard, i don't hate Jonathan, instead I hate the stupidity and foolishness he brings to governance.
What is wrong with my sig fool? Is it a lie?
U sound really daft.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Demdem(m): 7:55am On Jan 05, 2015
mikron:
u re the I. diot and son of LovePeddler that will die early. Ur entire generation will and forever remain fools bastard,

That u are a produce of a rotten kunt doesn't make me also. U are cursed and that explains why no one in ur lineage will live long.

Did I call ur name in my post? What's d meaning of this thrash u just vomited here?

Fool, why on earth do u Av to quote me and start talking rubbish? Quoting me automatically means calling my name. Amazing u are so daft to realise this.

Fool, ur obasanjo also promised us he ll fix our power problem what did he achieve?

Fool, where do u see me ever praise obj but criticism? So because obj messed up, Jonathan is free to mess up. Eediot, is that the kind of training u give ur kids?

Jonathan haters, why don't u go to aso rock to yank him out from there and plant ur Islamic bigot Buhari, keep calling him daft or Jonathan does not change the fact he is still ur president, it will not change d fact that u will die in hate and come to think of it the price of GEJs watch will probably feed u and ur miserable family for d next 10 yrs.

Again I don't hate Jonathan likewise I don't need his money or need to depend on him for sustenance like ur pathetic family does. Already demdem is made up to the third generation.
The fool remains president for now and all hands are on deck to vote out the curse from aso rock. Only eternal fools like ur kind will think otherwise.

I am just a waste of sperm my mother shld have flushed down d drain. If dem born u well quote me again. Bastard.

Apt. Bastard son of a rotten kunt, i Av quoted u, what else can u do or say fool grin

Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Dammyjohn(m): 5:51pm On Jan 05, 2015
simplemach:
We will surely get there. With GEJ as the captain of the ship, Nigeria will soon become #1 in Africa and may be around #10th in the world. #GoodluckNigeria
I strongly believe it.So,I say....Amen!
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by PetroDolla3: 11:39pm On Jan 05, 2015
and what are you going to do about that? you want to pick a fight? hahahahahahahahaha fuckeduppedness grin funny naijacunt! you are asking petrodolla why he cancelled your post? grin fuckeduppedness

[s]
dovelike:

Is that why you canceled my comment?? angry
[/s]
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Nobody: 1:30am On Jan 06, 2015
PetroDolla3:
and what are you going to do about that? you want to pick a fight? hahahahahahahahaha fuckeduppedness grin funny naijacunt! you are asking petrodolla why he cancelled your post? grin fuckeduppedness

[s][/s]
Your not a Nigerian? Well that explains a lot. Ghana,I guess.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by Change2015(m): 4:10pm On Jan 06, 2015
News in today
http://newtelegraphonline.com/power-generation-shrinks-dips-supply-below-3500mw/

Hydro plants show early cyclical low water problems

Indications emerged at the weekend that the three hydro power plants in Nigeria – Kainji, Shiroro and Jebba, have begun to show early cyclical low water problems, which has, in return, dipped the power generation below 3,500 Mega Watts (MW). New Telegraph learnt that this challenge, which usually comes up between March and May of every year, has also worsened the inability of the plants to produce at optimal capacity. Generation, which has since the third quarter of 2014 being fluctuating between 3,000 MW and 3,700 MW, had earlier dipped to 3,500 MW in November, 2014.

That time, gas shortage was, according to the Senior Special Adviser on Gas to the Minister of Power, Mr Frank Edozie, responsible for the fall. Edozie who confirmed the generation shortage said that the drop to 3,500 megawatts was due to sabotage of pipelines and inadequate gas supply. The senior special adviser said that available power generation capacity currently stood at 6,000 megawatts while system capacity stood at 5,000 megawatts. “The situation has, however, worsened in recent years by poor water management and lack of maintenance of the hydro stations,” a source at the Ministry of Power told this newspaper.

This, according to him, usually comes up in March, April and May of every year, “but the feelers we are having from the plants is that they are beginning to show early signs of cyclical water level problem due to lack of adequate maintenance. “All five units in the 760 megawatt capacity Kainji Electricity Power Station could generate about 330 megawatts, while the 578 megawattcapacity Jebba plant has the capacity to generate between 418 megawatts at peak periods and 339 megawatts at off-peak.

“The Shiroro Station generates between 409 megawatts and 380 megawatts,” the source said. According to him, the erratic power supply being experienced across the country was caused by recent vandalism of Transforcados pipeline that transported crude oil. “Inadequate gas supply and frequent sabotage of the pipelines had contributed immensely to lack of electricity supply in the country. “We are constrained due to the gas challenges and it has contributed to the drop of power generation to 3,500 megawatts,’’ he said. He maintained that power generation could drop by over 1,000 mega Watts in March, April and May, “when the yearly cyclical challenges usually rear their ugly heads.

“Power generation will certainly drop by over 1,000 megawatts in the event of the imminent drop in the water levels at the stations.” Meanwhile, it was also gathered that the adverse effects of the low water level at this period of the year was compounded by poor water management and inadequate maintenance of the stations, which has resulted in occasional leakage of water in the dams. This has also culminated in flooding of the power stations. Kainji, it was learnt, has yet to undergo complete overhaul since it was built in 1968 and “you don’t expect optimal performance from this plant,” the source added.

“Power generation, as at today, stood at 3,500 megawatts; we have not gone below that, but we are gradually beefing up the generation to hit 5,000 megawatts as promised,” Edozie told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) penultimate week. But the Ministry of Power indicated on its website that 64.01MW of electricity was stranded on account of the weak and insufficient distribution equipment. The national electricity generation has dropped to 2,954.51 megawatts in the latest setback for the authorities to meet the expectations of consumers. The ministry said that 3,206.09MW was generated as at December 2, only to drop to 2,954.51 by December 11, a reduction of 251.58MW in nine days.
Re: Electricity Generation: Nigeria 4th In Africa, 70th In The World. by laudate: 9:17pm On Jan 06, 2015
Those who say Nigeria is ranked 4th in electricity production in Africa are probably smoking some kind of strange substance. Have they been to Kenya, Botswana, South Africa, Egypt, Namibia etc?

What criteria are they using to arrive at their rating? In Gaborone, Botswana power blackout is almost unheard of, unlike in Lagos, Nigeria where it is a daily occurrence. Even if all the 4,000MW currently generated by Nigeria is diverted into Lagos State alone, it would still be inadequate to meet the daily needs of the entire city which requires almost 10,000MW per day!

Abeg, this fake assertions about Nigeria being the 4th in electricity generation is making me puke!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

COVID-19: Bala Mohammed Embarks On Self-Isolation After Contact With Atiku's Son / Boss Mustapha: If It Means To Lock Down Again, We Will Not Shy Away / Tinubu Condemns Rumour On Muslim-Muslim Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.