Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million (4028 Views)

Patience Jonathan Caught Trying To Withdraw $5mill From Her Frozen Account / Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism / President Jonathan Caught Drinking Beer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by lilflipnerd: 2:01am On Jan 04, 2015
Unbeknownst to Nigerians, the wife of the current president was caught twice by the EFCC while Goodluck Joanthan was governor of Bayelsa state, attempting to launder a total sum of $13,650,000.

This was re-exposed by a new Nigerian website for crime, the Nigerian Criminal Database.

View post below:

Patience Jonathan

Date Caught: September 11, 2006

Trade/Profession: President’s Wife

City: Abuja State: Abuja (FCT)

Case Status: Impunity

Listed: April 12, 2014 5:02 am

Expires: 999997 days, 22 hours

Description

EFCC seizes N104m from Bayelsa governor’s wife

By Punch, Monday, 11 Sep 2006

About N104m allegedly laundered by Patience, wife of Bayelsa State Governor, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan, has been temporarily seized by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commision. The seizure came on the heels of an ex parte application before a Federal High Court, Abuja by the Chairman of the EFCC, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu. The commission had in the application, a copy of which was obtained by our correspondents on Sunday, said it suspected that the N104m was public money. It said that Patience laundered the sum in two tranches – N70m and N34m – through one Mrs. Nancy Ebere Nwosu. Nwosu, a business associate of Patience, is said to have made statements to the EFCC incriminating the governor`s wife.

UPDATE: Alleged fraud: I’ll cooperate with EFCC – Jonathan

September 13, 2006: The Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Jonathan Goodluck, on Tuesday said he would cooperate with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission to unravel the mystery surrounding the alleged laundering of N104m to which his wife, Patience, has been linked.

{read_more}

CASE 2:

$13,000,000: On September 11, 2006, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) seized $13.5 million dollars (US) from Mrs. Patience Jonathan, the wife of then Governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. Goodluck Jonathan.

The International Herald Tribune quoted the EFCC spokesman, Mr. Osita Nwajah, as saying that the seizure was made after Mrs. Jonathan had allegedly laundered the money through an associate.

It was the second time in one month Mrs. Jonathan was hitting the scandal headlines. In August, the EFCC had obtained a court order to temporarily freeze N104 million she had allegedly tried to launder through one Mrs. Nancy Ebere Nwosu. The EFCC said it had reason to believe the seized funds belonged to the public. In a sworn statement, Mrs. Nwosu implicated Patience Jonathan, the EFCC said.

But remember, her husband was the Bayelsa State Governor at the time. And Mr. Jonathan’s government dashed to the defence of the First Lady of Bayelsa, alleging that the reports were part of a “plot to destabilize” the state. Government spokesmen were falling over each other to speak for Mrs. Jonathan. The Governor’s spokesman, Dennis Sami, described the allegations as a “charade,” the target of which the Governor.

UPDATE; July 18, 2011

CAGIL Sues EFCC Over Patience Jonathan’s Laundering/Fraud By Nigeria2Day Online A civil society group, Coalition Against Impunity and Illegality (CAGIL) says it will continue with its suit against the EFCC for refusing to and bring to justice, the First Lady, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, over allegation of money laundering to the tune of $12.5 million (about N1.9 billion).

The suit, which was filed at a Federal High Court in Lagos is praying for an order of Mandamus, compelling the EFCC to either prosecute the First Lady or make an official clarification on the allegation. Filed by the law firm of Rhaman Senge, under Order 34 Rules 1 and 3 of the Federal High Court Procedure Rule 209, the suit wants the court to declare that refusal or failure of the EFCC to act by prosecuting the First Lady is abdication of its public duty, imposed on it by Sections 6 & 7 of EFCC Act of 2004. According to CAGIL, the anti-graft agency had publicly declared on September 11, 2006, via its then spokesman, Osita Nwajah, that Mrs. Jonathan, who was then the First Lady of Bayelsa State, was nabbed at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, while attempting to smuggle out a whopping $12.5million.

The EFCC then claimed that it immediately impounded the money, while adding that another sum of N104 million was traced to her foreign account, which the commission believed was far beyond her legitimate earnings as at the time.

CAGIL wondered why the story was ended just like that, regretting that Nigerians who eagerly expected justice in the case had waited in vain for more than four years. “It is not on record that the EFCC took further actions on those startling revelations. At least, Mrs. Patience Jonathan, to public knowledge, was never subjected to any legal actions. Are we in a country where some are more equal than others?,” CAGIL asked.

The group went further to state that: “The First Lady has no constitutional immunity. She should be given the opportunity to defend herself. We seek a comprehensive legal action on this matter and call on the EFCC to take necessary steps to recover the money traced to her foreign account to the coffers of the Federal Government or Bayelsa State, if that is where it belongs without delay and make the First Lady face justice, if found culpable,” the body insisted.

The group’s General Secretary, Comrade Mark Adebayo, said CAGIL deliberately allowed the April General elections to be successfully completed before taking up the First Lady’s case because the body does not want to be misconstrued and labeled as working for the opposition.

He explained that since President Goodluck Jonathan has not shown that he is influencing the anti-graft bodies in the performance of their duties, it behooves the EFCC not to leave any room for suspicion. The civil society group had earlier on June 27 petitioned the EFCC not only on the First Lady’s case but also on the commission’s foot-dragging in recovering from prominent Nigerians the N40billion looted funds of the defunct national carrier, the Nigeria Airways Limited (NAL).

“The Nigeria Airways was the safest national carrier in Africa in the 1970s-80s but a combination of mindless corruption mal-administration and policy misdirection led to its collapse prompting the former President Olusegun Obasanjo to institute in 2000 a seven members probe panel led by retired Justice Obiora Nwazota to look into its demise and recommend appropriate sanction. Findings of the Justice Nwazota panel which were accepted by the government was scandalously shocking as its revealed that a whopping total of $254,257,529.65 million; £1,792,796.72 million and N548,380,248,38 million (totaling N39,045,569,039,88 billion ) was looted from the NAL through tax fraud, contract inflation, ticketing scam, fake projects, commissions scam, fake premiums, bonds and loans; misappropriation and outright stealing. The panel also recommended the swift recovery of all the stolen money of NAL and criminal prosecution of those indicted.

http://www.naij.com/60108-64349.html
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 2:02am On Jan 04, 2015
where is buhari school certificate?

7 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by lilflipnerd: 2:07am On Jan 04, 2015
[s]
tit:
[/s]

4 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by 3DCYCLOPS: 2:09am On Jan 04, 2015
Please don't insult my first lady...

I trust her not to get caught laundering money..

3 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by DickTator1: 2:11am On Jan 04, 2015
[s]
3DCYCLOPS:
Please don't insult my first lady...

I trust her not to get caught laundering money..
[/s]

Buhari certificate please.

6 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by Nobody: 2:38am On Jan 04, 2015
The $13 million is mere stealing it's not corruption. The allegation was by Ribadu before a Senate or House of Committe can't rememebr which one. Ribadu also mentioned 31 Governors who looted their State during that hearing when he mentioned Patience Jonathan,funny enough he did'nt mention Goodluck Jonathan. However,how can she steal that amount without Goodluck Jonathan knowledge.

8 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 3:01am On Jan 04, 2015
Out of the 1 million men that have passed through the West African Frontier Force and the Nigerian Army,
is it not ironic that the Army held on to only Buhari's certificates!
They did not even let him keep photocopies?

How sad!

3 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by ayukdaboss(m): 4:02am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:
Out of the 1 million men that have passed through the West African Frontier Force and the Nigerian Army,

How sad!

tit:

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by Change2015(m): 4:03am On Jan 04, 2015
Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole Ole ole
Mama p, Ole, mama p, ole
Just imagine they could have been in jail and not aso rock! #missedopportunities

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:17am On Jan 04, 2015
I want to assure you that that case will be revisited anytime from May 29 by the incoming President, Muhammamodu Buhari.

11 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by Kessyy2k4(m): 4:21am On Jan 04, 2015
pls hlp, tryna book space, buh dont know hw 2go abt itcheesy
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by VoteOutPDPJona: 4:35am On Jan 04, 2015
$13m! forgerrit!! stealing is not corruption.!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 4:46am On Jan 04, 2015
(f) From the findings of the court, “Governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu has
admitted and acknowledged that the funds traced to his account represented
proceeds of narcotics trafficking or was property involved in financial
transactions in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1956 and 1957 and therefore was
forfeitable to the United States pursuant to 21 U.S.C. Section 881 (a) and
18 U.S.C. 981. The funds in the defendants acounts were seized initially
by seizure warrants.” 

(g) Following from (f) above, Governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu has also admitted
that he was involved in laundering proceeds of drug trafficking in the
United States of America and the proceeds of such illicit drugs or money
laundered in the sun of 460,000 US dollars be forfeited to the United
States Government. 

buhari will shoot tinubu at bar beach like he shoot Tunde Lawal, Bernad Ogedengbe and Bartholomew Owoh

2 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by Nobody: 5:32am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:
(f) From the findings of the court, “Governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu has
admitted and acknowledged that the funds traced to his account represented
proceeds of narcotics trafficking or was property involved in financial
transactions in violation of 18 U.S.C. 1956 and 1957 and therefore was
forfeitable to the United States pursuant to 21 U.S.C. Section 881 (a) and
18 U.S.C. 981. The funds in the defendants acounts were seized initially
by seizure warrants.” 

(g) Following from (f) above, Governor Ahmed Bola Tinubu has also admitted
that he was involved in laundering proceeds of drug trafficking in the
United States of America and the proceeds of such illicit drugs or money
laundered in the sun of 460,000 US dollars be forfeited to the United
States Government. 

buhari will shoot tinubu at bar beach like he shoot Tunde Lawal, Bernad Ogedengbe and Bartholomew Owoh
I'm an ardent Buhari supporter,but this was funny. Tinubu is forgiven for giving us Fashola in Lagos

1 Like

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by HzRF(m): 5:57am On Jan 04, 2015
seges:

I'm an ardent Buhari supporter,but this was funny. Tinubu is forgiven for giving us Fashola in Lagos
See life ooo

Tinubu suppose get forgiven others no worth am?
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 5:58am On Jan 04, 2015
seges:

God bless you, my sister.
You go find wetin you want for this 2015.
Jimi go win for Lagos.
Jonathan for Nigeria.
and Buhari, mai gaskiya, go drag tinubu go bar beach!
gbam!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by Nobody: 6:13am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:

God bless you, my sister.
You go find wetin you want for this 2015.
Jimi go win for Lagos.
Jonathan for Nigeria.
and Buhari, mai gaskiya, go drag tinubu go bar beach!
gbam!
You sound reasonable,can you please explain why you support such a corrupt man and protector like Goodluck Jonathan after all the stealing he has allowed in he country,I support Buhari because of his track record against corruption in power when in ruled for 18 months.

1 Like

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 6:19am On Jan 04, 2015
seges:

You sound reasonable,can you please explain why you support such a corrupt man and protector like Goodluck Jonathan after all the stealing he has allowed in he country,I support Buhari because of his track record against corruption in power when in ruled for 18 months.

Coup plotting is criminal act punishable under the law.
Coup plotting is even worse than rigging because whilst the people have a say in an imperfect election,
they have no say when tyrants like buhari and abacha usurp the powers of state.
You are telling me you support a criminal.

Apart from rumors fomented by never-do-wells like Tinubu and Faruk Lawan,
I have not heard of any judgement or indictment of President Jonathan.
As an adult, i cannot take decisions based on unfounded rumours or accusations.
I would advise you to apply better wisdom in running your life.
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by Nobody: 6:33am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:

Coup plotting is even worse than rigging because whilst the people have a say in an imperfect election,

Why has'nt Goodluck Jonathan convicted anyone in 6 years he has been in charge,is'nt aiding and abetting also a criminal act?He aids corruption for example in October 2014 it was revealed that $553 million bribe was collected from ENI for an oil block in Italian court by members of Jonathan cabinet why did'nt he prosecute them,we would have never found out if Daily Mail UK never carried the story and why did he drop the N553 billion case against Mohammed Abacha. Jonathan Goodluck is also he criminal because he aids corruption,I'm actually pointing out facts. It's better to be neutral than support someone that supports corruption

4 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by austinvsb1(m): 6:36am On Jan 04, 2015
They be stealing our money since 2006.. 12million USD as governor's wife (in a single travel o)... shocked

Imagine how much as the president's wife in 5+ years! We r in trouble!

How this thieves became the presiding family in the country is still beyond me.

I am hopeful Nigerians are wiser now.

4 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by iamrealdeji(m): 6:44am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:
What has certificate has to do with money laundering and fraud?

3 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by iamrealdeji(m): 6:47am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:

How sad!
Have you asked any of those 1million men for theirs? Or which one of them has come out as presidential candidate?

2 Likes

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 6:49am On Jan 04, 2015
seges:

Why has'nt Goodluck Jonathan convicted anyone in 6 years he has been in charge,is'nt aiding and abetting also a criminal act?He aids corruption for example in October 2014 it was revealed that $553 million bribe was collected from ENI for an oil block in Italian court by members of Jonathan cabinet why did'nt he prosecute them,we would have never found out if Daily Mail UK never carried the story and why did he drop the N553 billion case against Mohammed Abacha. Jonathan Goodluck is also he criminal because he aids corruption,I'm actually pointing out facts. It's better to be neutral than support someone that supports corruption

Thanks for your response.
You seem to have conceded that Buhari is a criminal coup plotter.

Now the inability of the executive and judiciary to convict any major criminals has been astounding!
The Faroul Lawan/Otedola case comes to mind. And the Pension scam too.
But we are all living witnesses to Peter Odili getting a perpetual injunction from arrest and prosecution.
This was either when Obasanjo or Buhari was President and Ribadu was EFCC chair. I am sure other criminal defendants have learnt from that.
Also recall the cases against Lucky Igginedion and James Ibori. Whilst Lucky pleaded guilty and got a light sentence and is now a freeman, Ibori fought his charges evaded the law till he was caught in London. If he had stayed back, by now he would be as free as Lucky. Criminal defendeants are making use of every loophole including getting judges to postpone a case for 6 months because there is no a/c in the courtroom. So all the ineptitude in justice delivery may not be laid at President Jonathan's feet.

1 Like

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 6:52am On Jan 04, 2015
wrt to the former oil minister who keeps lions in his house in ph and oil block.
This was during abacha regime. Abdulsalaam and obsanjo dabaruu everything.
i tire for all the way they are sharing the oil blocks.
them suppose carve small give me and my oga.

1 Like

Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by Nobody: 6:53am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:

Thanks for your response.
You seem to have conceded that Buhari is a criminal coup plotter.

Now the inability of the executive and judiciary to convict any major criminals has been astounding!
The Faroul Lawan/Otedola case comes to mind. And the Pension scam too.
But we are all living witnesses to Peter Odili getting a perpetual injunction from arrest and prosecution.
This was either when Obasanjo or Buhari was President and Ribadu was EFCC chair. I am sure other criminal defendants have learnt from that.
Also recall the cases against Lucky Igginedion and James Ibori. Whilst Lucky pleaded guilty and got a light sentence and is now a freeman, Ibori fought his charges evaded the law till he was caught in London. If he had stayed back, by now he would be as free as Lucky. Criminal defendeants are making use of every loophole including getting judges to postpone a case for 6 months because there is no a/c in the courtroom. So all the ineptitude in justice delivery may not be laid at President Jonathan's feet.
Whose job is it to reform the judiciary,if not the President,by what you stated we are doomed forever under the corrupt judges and have no hope. Why did'nt Goodluck Jonathan send a bill to create special courts for corruption with expedited cases as suggested to him by the NBA if he was serious for tackling corruption. He can't put his head in the sand and claim it's all the judges fault,he never made efforts to strenghten EFCC or ICPC,he weakend them and has'nt given them enough funding to tackle corruption.
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by iamrealdeji(m): 6:54am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:

Tit is nothing but a hypocrite,so you're telling us now that you don't believe all the allegations in Jonathan's administration?
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 6:54am On Jan 04, 2015
iamrealdeji:

Have you asked any of those 1million men for theirs? Or which one of them has come out as presidential candidate?

yes.
no one wey i ask say army get him own.
Some of my family are WWII veterans. Those ones will humbly agree they have no certificate.
I have my own certificate and I know where my oga own dey.
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 6:59am On Jan 04, 2015
iamrealdeji:

Tit is nothing but a hypocrite,so you're telling us now that you don't believe all the allegations in Jonathan's administration?

my brother,
it is not a matter of belief.
it is a matter of reality.
you want make we dey kill anybody whey them point say him be theif?

do you want me to belief the allegations say General Buhari, mai gaskiya, no get certificate?
Or do you want me to believe that he has certificate when me I never see am or INEC never talk say them don see the certificate with their two koro koro eyes?

so my brother, no too dey belive allegation.
if you travel return and somebody come tell you say them see yar wife for hotel, you go believe?
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 04, 2015
tit:

my brother,
it is not a matter of belief.
it is a matter of reality.
you want make we dey kill anybody whey them point say him be theif?

do you want me to belief the allegations say General Buhari, mai gaskiya, no get certificate?
Or do you want me to believe that he has certificate when me I never see am or INEC never talk say them don see the certificate with their two koro koro eyes?

so my brother, no too dey belive allegation.
if you travel return and somebody come tell you say them see yar wife for hotel, you go believe?
You are spineless and a hyprocrite that prefers to hide your head in the sand concering the corruption in the Goodluck Jonathan regime
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by reaky(m): 7:02am On Jan 04, 2015
Loot but don't be caught
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by amsad19(m): 7:03am On Jan 04, 2015
Re: Patience Jonathan Caught Laundering $13 Million by tit(f): 7:05am On Jan 04, 2015
seges:

Whose job is it to reform the judiciary,if not the President,by what you stated we are doomed forever under the corrupt judges and have no hope. Why did'nt Goodluck Jonathan send a bill to create special courts for corruption with expedited cases as suggested to him by the NBA if he was serious for tackling corruption. He can't put his head in the sand and claim it's all the judges fault,he never made efforts to strenghten EFCC or ICPC,he weakend them and has'nt given them enough funding to tackle corruption.

you have efcc.
you have icpc.
them no do
you want "special courts"!

the failure of our high courts, efcc and icpc, etc tells you we need a full reset button.
the maggots that are eating high court, efcc, etc will eat anything you try to do.
the maggots full nba. na them dey suggest way for the criminal defendants.
you think say them go just leave you make you comot their chop?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senator Chris Anyanwu;the Woman Who Passed The Bill That Allows Sex With 11 Year / Why Is "IPOB Youth" Used To Describe Anyone With A Different Opinion? / Dr. Ibe Kachukwu Set To Resign And Go Back To His Professor Job At Havard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.