Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,728 members, 7,816,994 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:27 PM

Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism (3321 Views)

Like Buhari, Like Akufo Addo. Ghana's New President In Plagiarism Mess / Patience Jonathan Caught Trying To Withdraw $5mill From Her Frozen Account / Obama's Speech Plagiarism: Buhari Orders Sanctions For Speech Mix Up (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by oyinkinola: 8:23am On Sep 17, 2016
Presidential Race Declaration: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism

A day after President Goodluck Jonathan formally declared his bid for re-election, Saharareporters has discovered that a part of the speech he read at the official launch of his campaign was substantially lifted from a 2006 address given by former Vice President Abubakar Atiku when he announced his entry into the 2007 presidential election.
by SaharaReporters, New York Sep 19, 2010
WhatsApp

A day after President Goodluck Jonathan formally declared his bid for re-election, Saharareporters has discovered that a part of the speech he read at the official launch of his campaign was substantially lifted from a 2006 address given by former Vice President Abubakar Atiku when he announced his entry into the 2007 presidential election.

Mr. Jonathan yesterday announced his presidential bid at Eagle Square, Abuja in a ceremony graced by crowds mobilized by state governors, featuring masquerades, musicians and half-naked men.

In the 30-paragraph speech delivered with the aid of a teleprompter, amid loud cheers from his supporters, Jonathan said, “Our country is at the threshold of a new era; an era that beckons for a new kind of leadership; a leadership that is uncontaminated by the prejudices of the past; a leadership that is committed to change; a leadership that reinvents government, to solve the everyday problems that confront the average Nigerian.”

The rhetoric resonated with the crowd, which cheered him on. The crowd was obviously unaware that the paragraph was a plagiarized version of an old speech by Atiku. The former vice president used similar phrases in a speech he read at the Old Parade Ground in Abuja on November 25, 2006.

In paragraph nine of his four-year-old speech, Atiku declared: “Today, as we stand on the threshold of a new era Nigeria requires a new kind of leadership, a leadership committed to this change process.

“We need a leadership that is not hampered or constrained by the regressive politics of the past or the unproductive ideologies of the present. Nigeria deserves a proven, committed and experienced leader who knows how to reinvent government to help solve the real problems our people today.”

One of our sources said that Jonathan’s speechwriters “tried hard to conceal the stealing of another man’s intellectual property, by changing a few words here and throwing a few words there,” adding, “but the evidence of plagiarism came out clearly all the same.”

The source, a professor of linguistics, said the similarities between the two paragraphs “are just too glaring to be regarded as a coincidence.”
sources:saharareporters.com/.../presidential-race-declaration-jonathan-caught-plagiarism

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by Xtracoool(m): 8:34am On Sep 17, 2016
What's this one again undecided undecided undecided

10 Likes

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by ncpat(m): 8:34am On Sep 17, 2016
Una don start again

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by Emycord: 8:35am On Sep 17, 2016
Did you just fooled ursef?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by DonCortino: 9:52am On Sep 17, 2016
oyinkinola:

WhatsApp

Mr. Jonathan yesterday announced his presidential bid at Eagle Square, Abuja in a ceremony graced by crowds mobilized by state governors, featuring masquerades, musicians and half-naked men.

In the 30-paragraph speech delivered with the aid of a teleprompter, amid loud cheers from his supporters, Jonathan said, “Our country is at the threshold of a new era; an era that beckons for a new kind of leadership; a leadership that is uncontaminated by the prejudices of the past; a leadership that is committed to change; a leadership that reinvents government, to solve the everyday problems that confront the average Nigerian.”

The rhetoric resonated with the crowd, which cheered him on. The crowd was obviously unaware that the paragraph was a plagiarized version of an old speech by Atiku. The former vice president used similar phrases in a speech he read at the Old Parade Ground in Abuja on November 25, 2006.

In paragraph nine of his four-year-old speech, Atiku declared: “Today, as we stand on the threshold of a new era Nigeria requires a new kind of leadership, a leadership committed to this change process.

“We need a leadership that is not hampered or constrained by the regressive politics of the past or the unproductive ideologies of the present. Nigeria deserves a proven, committed and experienced leader who knows how to reinvent government to help solve the real problems our people today.”

One of our sources said that Jonathan’s speechwriters “tried hard to conceal the stealing of another man’s intellectual property, by changing a few words here and throwing a few words there,” adding, “but the evidence of plagiarism came out clearly all the same.”

The source, a professor of linguistics, said the similarities between the two paragraphs “are just too glaring to be regarded as a coincidence.”
sources:saharareporters.com/.../presidential-race-declaration-jonathan-caught-plagiarism

So? Like u said in the other thread u created, other notable leaders did it sometime but they did not make a fuss about it cos they know the meaning of the word 'plagiarism' unlike your illiterate president who is looking for who to jail for his own because he thought the word is Very serious crime. grin grin grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by oyinkinola: 10:06am On Sep 17, 2016
DonCortino:

So? Like u said in the other thread u created, other notable leaders did it sometime but they did not make a fuss about it cos they know the meaning of the word 'plagiarism' unlike your illiterate president who is looking for who to jail for his own because he thought the word is Very serious crime. grin grin grin
haa! it's no longer Very serious crime since I show you that jonathan also caught?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by DonCortino: 10:16am On Sep 17, 2016
oyinkinola:

haa! it's no longer Very serious crime since I show you that jonathan also caught?
Whoever said it was a serious crime?
Its d illiterate that is making it look like one.

But you said its a normal thing cos other prominent leaders do same.
oyinkinola:

7 Democrats Who Were Caught For Plagiarism, Including Obama And Biden
[AP Photo/Susan Walsh]
By:
Aaron Bandler
July 19, 2016

Melania Trump, wife of real estate mogul Donald Trump, has dominated the news headlines due to the revelation that her speech at the Republican National Convention plagiarized a portion of First Lady Michelle Obama's speech at the Democratic National Convention in 2008. While that's certainly a problem, it's worth noting that plenty of Democrats have been guilty of plagiarism as well. Here are seven of them.

1. President Barack Obama.

During his first presidential campaign, Obama's speeches featured portions that were almost identical from Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick's (D) speeches. Here is part of a speech from Patrick in 2006:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal'-just words. Just words. 'We have nothing to fear but fear itself'-just words. 'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country'-just words. 'I have a dream'-just words," Patrick said in 2006.

And here is part of a speech from Obama in 2008:

"Don't tell me words don't matter! 'I have a dream.' Just words. 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.' Just words. 'We have nothing to fear but fear itself.' Just words, just speeches," Obama said in his speech.

Obama also appears to have used similar language borrowed from Patrick in a 2007 speech:

Patrick in June 2006, at the Massachusetts Democratic party convention: "I am not asking anybody to take a chance on me. I am asking you to take a chance on your own aspirations."

Obama one year later, as quoted in USA Today: "I am not asking anyone to take a chance on me. I am asking you to take a chance on your own aspirations."

Obama later acknowledged it would have been better to provide attribution to Patrick in his speech when the Clinton campaign called him out on it in 2008, but deflected the blame onto her, saying: "I noticed Senator Clinton, on occasion, has used words of mine as well."

Patrick attempted to exonerate his buddy Obama by saying "he shared language from his campaign with Mr. Obama's speechwriters" in the previous summer, but ABC News pointed out at the time that Obama used the "Just Words" passage before the summer of 2007:

"'We hold these truths to be self-evident, all men are created equal.’ Those are just words," Obama was quoted as saying in a March 19, 2007 New Republic story. " ‘I have a dream.’ Just words.”

2. Vice President Joe Biden.

When Biden ran for president in 1988, his plagiarism of British politician Neil Kinnock was exposed. Here is Kinnock:

Why am I the first Kinnock in a thousand generations to be able to get to university? [Pointing to his wife in the audience:] Why is Glenys the first woman in her family in a thousand generations to be able to get to university? Was it because all our predecessors were thick?

And here's Biden:

I started thinking as I was coming over here, why is it that Joe Biden is the first in his family ever to go to a university? [Pointing to his wife in the audience:] Why is it that my wife who is sitting out there in the audience is the first in her family to ever go to college? Is it because our fathers and mothers were not bright? Is it because I’m the first Biden in a thousand generations to get a college and a graduate degree that I was smarter than the rest?

Biden eventually had to drop out of the presidential race, as the plagiarism scandal plagued his campaign. Columnist Jeff Lord has also accused Biden of plagiarizing speeches from Robert F. Kennedy.

3. Former Sen. John Walsh (D-MT).

In 2014, a New York Times report found that Walsh had plagiarized "an entire page nearly word-for-word from a Harvard paper, and each of his six conclusions is copied from a document from the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace without attribution" in a 2007 paper he wrote to earn his master's degree at the U.S. Army War College. Walsh initially deflected from the report by citing Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from serving in Iraq as a possible "factor" in an interview with the Associated Press.

The Army War College determined that Walsh had in fact plagiarized his paper and rescinded his master's degree. Walsh eventually dropped out of the 2014 Senate race as a result of his plagiarism.

4. Rep. Ami Bera (D-CA).

In 2015, Bera wrote a column in the Sacramento Bee in favor of the Trade Promotion Authority bill; Buzzfeed determined that Bera duplicated statements from Third Way, Business Roundtable and a White House economic report. Bera eventually admitted to the plagiarism, via Breitbart:

After he was caught, Bera released a statement saying that his position remained unchanged, but he added, "However, after an internal review of our editing process, it has become clear that widely used and disseminated statements made their way into the final draft, and for that I apologize. I take full responsibility for this oversight and will be dealing with the responsible staff internally."

Dan Morain, the Bee’s editorial page editor, said, "It clearly is a work that borrowed way too heavily from other peoples’ work. I would expect better of people who write op-eds."

5. Former Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke.

Burke, who ran against Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) in 2014, was busted by Buzzfeed for plagiarizing portions of her economic proposal from "Delaware Gov. Jack Markell in 2008, Ward Cammack of Tennessee in 2009 and John Gregg of Indiana in 2012," according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

Burke, who attempted to minimize the controversy as "a relatively minor mistake," blamed it on a consultant and fired him.

6. Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf (D).

During the 2014 gubernatorial race, it was determined that parts of Wolf's "policy on energy efficiency" were plagiarized from Johnson Controls, an energy company in Wisconsin. Wolf severed ties with a consultant over the controversy.

7. Former Democratic senate candidate Gordon Ball.

Ball, who ran for the Senate in 2014 against Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN), "appears to have plagiarized nearly every word on his issues pages from a vast array of politicians including West Virginia Sen. Joe Manchin, Ohio Sen. Sherrod Brown, North Carolina Sen. Kay Hagan, and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren," according to Buzzfeed. Ball claimed he didn't know that the plagiarism had taken place, even though Buzzfeed pointed out that he "used much of the plagiarized text in an interview."

Hypocrite!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by doctokwus: 10:23am On Sep 17, 2016
Even when the presidency has admitted it's grave error and apologized,some people are still defending it.Which kind of rubbish is this.
That's y the man sits down in aso rock and carries on his annoyingly slow,i don't care pace,because criminals surrounding him is telling him,all is well,meanwhile the nation is bleeding.
Anyway,a president that was played like a 10yr old by a Bukola Saraki,to become senate president and still being played like a kindergarten by Dogara can equally be fooled by other sycophants with praise songs.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by blackpanda: 10:27am On Sep 17, 2016
Lol OP I pity u o

Wailers will attack u now grin
Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by dunkem21(m): 10:31am On Sep 17, 2016
Some people don't even know what Plagiarism means cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by LesbianBoy(m): 10:35am On Sep 17, 2016
OP

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by oyinkinola: 10:43am On Sep 17, 2016
LesbianBoy:
OP
...who send this one to school and for what?
you accused buhari of plagiarism!
and you are so stupid to use image of this gentle man to pass foolish message! are you stubborn?

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by oyinkinola: 10:48am On Sep 17, 2016
doctokwus:
Even when the presidency has admitted it's grave error and apologized,some people are still defending it.Which kind of rubbish is this.
That's y the man sits down in aso rock and carries on his annoyingly slow,i don't care pace,because criminals surrounding him is telling him,all is well,meanwhile the nation is bleeding.
Anyway,a president that was played like a 10yr old by a Bukola Saraki,to become senate president and still being played like a kindergarten by Dogara can equally be fooled by other sycophants with praise songs.
...ha!ha!ha!ha!, if Buhari is not heavy burden for you wailers to carry, you wont cry round the world daily!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by Jokerman(m): 10:49am On Sep 17, 2016
I can see that APC weren't ready for governance. ..... who are u trying to impress now with ds discovery? ?

Why do u keep comparing Jonathan with Buhari??
Why are u not comparing Buhari with Obasanjo or Abacha etc??

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by oyinkinola: 10:50am On Sep 17, 2016
blackpanda:
Lol OP I pity u o

Wailers will attack u now grin
...don't worry, I have lots of them surrounding me here, they know who I am, I don't fear them!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by LesbianBoy(m): 10:53am On Sep 17, 2016
oyinkinola:

...who send this one to school and for what?
you accused buhari of plagiarism!
and you are so stupid to use image of this gentle man to pass foolish message! are you stubborn?

undecided undecided

5 Likes

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by ddippset(m): 11:53am On Sep 17, 2016
doctokwus:
nobody is defending it. its just because of those stooopid idioootic bloooody wailers who wouldn't accept the President's apology and want to keep insulting him and playing politics with it.. so as you can see the ineffectual baboon did it too.
Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by ddippset(m): 11:58am On Sep 17, 2016
DonCortino:

Jonathan didn't make a fuss because he simply had no integrity. not an iota of integrity. yes it is a serious crime. and buhari doesn't want to take it with a pinch of salt. abi na by force?

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 17, 2016
oyinkinola:

WhatsApp

Your Creator will just be thinking " I equipped oyinkinola with a functional brain but it seems oyinkinola does not want to use it" grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by Nobody: 12:07pm On Sep 17, 2016
ddippset:
Jonathan didn't make a fuss because he simply had no integrity. not an iota of integrity. yes it is a serious crime. and buhari doesn't want to take it with a pinch of salt. abi na by force?

I am certain that at this very moment your guardian angels are all whispering to you "ddippset remember you have a solid brain, this is one of those moments to use it" grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by DonCortino: 12:40pm On Sep 17, 2016
ddippset:

Plagiarism a serious crime?? Hehehehe!

Dullard illitrate leader, more dullard most illitrate follower.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by ddippset(m): 12:50pm On Sep 17, 2016
woodcook:

I am certain that at this very moment your guardian angels are all wispering to you "ddippset remember you have a solid brain, this is one of those moments to use it" grin
if am not mistaken, that is supposed to be funny right? you have a brain but could not spell 'whispering' correctly.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by ddippset(m): 12:56pm On Sep 17, 2016
DonCortino:

Plagiarism a serious crime?? Hehehehe!

Dullard illitrate leader, more dullard most illitrate follower.
lol. go and learn how to spell 'illiterate' correctly before calling the president names. even my 10 year old sister would spell it correctly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by Feraz(m): 1:43pm On Sep 17, 2016
oyinkinola:

I really do not understand you. So a supposed failure is now used to measure PMB's success? Pray tell, why was he voted in?

Was Jonathan incompetent? Yes (not everyone will agree)

Was Buhari voted in to right the wrongs of the past administration? Yes

Is PMB doing a good job thus far? No (not everyone will agree)

Are people hailing him into failure? Yes

doctokwus:
I really do not understand the sycophancy. The president, if care is not taken, will be hailed into failure.

oyinkinola:

...ha!ha!ha!ha!, if Buhari is not heavy burden for you wailers to carry, you wont cry round the world daily!
The guy you quoted in this post, he supported PMB like idupaul and one rilwayne, so I wonder when he turned a wailer.

On a lighter note, GEJ said 'stealing is not corruption' and APC and many Nigerians said 'stealing is corruption'. PMB's speech was padded...sorry stolen....can we therefore say he has committed a form of corruption? wink

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2016
ddippset:
if am not mistaken, that is supposed to be funny right? you have a brain but could not spell 'whispering' correctly.

Good boy!!! You are now using your brain, I knew you have a functional brain. grin

NB: Fixed, that is what people with brain do point out an error and they get to work. Not trying to come up with excuses at every turn. I hope you learnt something useful today.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by ddippset(m): 2:31pm On Sep 17, 2016
woodcook:

Good boy!!! You are now using your brain, I knew you have a functional brain. grin

NB: Fixed, that is what people with brain do point out an error and they get to work. Not trying to come up with excuses at every turn. I hope you learnt something useful today.

don't deviate from the issue; you claim to have a brain yet you cannot spell 'whisper'. yours should even be spelt brainlesssss because just 2 s' are not adequate to describe you.
Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by durangokid: 2:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
[quote author=ddippset post=49437601]nobody is defending it. its just because of those stooopid idioootic bloooody wailers who wouldn't accept the President's apology and want to keep insulting him and playing politics with it.. so as you can see the ineffectual baboon did it too.[/ Ask yourself this question had it been it was Jonathan can you be sincere what would you have done or said ]
Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by durangokid: 2:40pm On Sep 17, 2016
ddippset:
have you ever wondered how disgusting you are with your thinking, comments arguments since last year

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by DonCortino: 3:15pm On Sep 17, 2016
ddippset:
lol. go and learn how to spell 'illiterate' correctly before calling the president names. even my 10 year old sister would spell it correctly.
Is that the best you can come up with? undecided It doesn't stop the fact that you and ur illiterate president are dullardinhos!
Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by oyinkinola: 3:44pm On Sep 17, 2016
LesbianBoy:

undecided undecided
imbeside! ha!ha!ha!ha! imbeside! ha!ha!ha!ha!ha! imbeside!
an English from biafran hunger ravage refugee camp! imbeside!
Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by vedaxcool(m): 3:52pm On Sep 17, 2016
Yet no one made so much fuss unlike the deranged fools braying like donkeys making noise over such stuff
Re: Jonathan Caught In Plagiarism by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 17, 2016
ddippset:
don't deviate from the issue; you claim to have a brain yet you cannot spell 'whisper'. yours should even be spelt brainlesssss because just 2 s' are not adequate to describe you.

This pikin wetin be your wahala?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Attempt made to arrest Prophet Issa El'buba By DSS Foiled / How Can You Have A Face Like That And Not Be Friendly – Reno Omokri To Oshimole / Season Of Politics Over, Hit The Ground Running, Ugwuanyi Tells New Appointees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.