Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,977 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? (28510 Views)

Lady Mocks Women Who Think Attachment Is A Sin But Use Wool To Make Their Hair / Catholic Archbishop Of Kampala Warns Women To Stop Beating Their Husbands / It Is Mandatory For As A Christian To Love Your Enemies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Richy4(m): 7:54am On Jan 18, 2015
This is just a cultural thing. No big deal about the hair cover. Does that mean all the white will be going to hell?
The most important thing is to believe in Jesus christ. All the veil religious bandage placed on people was broken when Jesus breath the last on the cross.
Just maybe on the last day, Nigerian judgment seat will be different from other culture and traditions of the rest of the world

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by baybeeboi: 7:55am On Jan 18, 2015
Redlyn:

So where is God not present. That's where I'm going.
seriously?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by MsNas(f): 7:56am On Jan 18, 2015
Princecalm:
if any woman wish not to cover her hair then she should have a haircut.
Sorry, are you a muslim?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 7:56am On Jan 18, 2015
saintlawr:
*[[1Co 11:6]] ISV* So if a woman does not cover her head, she should cut off her hair. If it is a disgrace for a woman to cut off her hair or shave her head, let her cover her own head.

I wonders what's so difficult to understand here, it cost nothing when women cover their head and cost something when they don't. The Bible says they dishonors there Head..
What the woman head here, let's see
*[[1Co 11:3]] ISV* Now I want you to realize that the Messiah is the head of every man, and man is the head of the woman, and God is the head of the Messiah.
So the head here is the man.
The head of the wife is the husband and the head of unmarried lady is her Father.
So why will a lady consciously dishonors her father or husband when the Bible said..
*[[Eph 6:2]] KJV* Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promisewink
Cover ur head my sister.... God bless u

Cover ur 'head'. It is not literal. When the woman prays she should cover her head (husband or father) not with cloth o! Cover them in prayer.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Toks2008(m): 7:57am On Jan 18, 2015
Its pure ignorance.

Only a lady with a low cut or no hair should cover her head but ladies with long hair needs no covering because the long hair of a woman is a natural covering for her head.

1 Corinthians 11 vs 13-15

"13Judge in yourselves: is it proper that a woman pray unto God uncovered? 14Does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 7:58am On Jan 18, 2015
efficiencie:

1Corinthians 11:15
But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

So if a woman have long hair, she doesn't need to cover her head then..

No be so?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 18, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Rather more interested in the message from God than the ancient landmarks (200 year old customs) set by MAN in a society that a changed so much as to render them irrelevant. Don't really think God worries very much about a woman's hairstyle etc.

Anyway if this triviality is all Christians today have to worry about I would be a happy man! I suspect there are more serious issues to concern us and indeed God.
KoloOyinbo:

This 'advice' was from Paul and he did not claim it from God.

I think modern Christianity is much better than the primitive superstitious approach promoted before peoples were better educated. The Creator of the Universe concerned about the womanly fashion of ancient times. I think not. Both the Creator an indeed any Christian of today have better things to do than worry about stupid primitive taboos.

Perhaps we could actually discuss something of moral/ethical/theological importance?

Ha! You've not even begun. Welcome to Christianity in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 18, 2015
If a woman has reverence for d lord, den she would show it by covering her hair and wearind decent clothes ... U r in d presence of the Lord for goodness sake... Show respect!!!!!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Durotimi01: 8:04am On Jan 18, 2015
@hiswordxray, u r a false prophet leading many to hell with ur turning of God's word upside down. His judgement await u. Ask yourself dis question- does God word change? How did the bible come to been- by inspiration or human knowledge like yours.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Successdude(m): 8:04am On Jan 18, 2015
chibwike:
That doesn't make you unholy.....God is more concerned about the heart....than the outward appearance....buh sometimes its better to be on a safer side..and obey the words of the bible.
Out of d abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. that line "God is concerned about the heart" has led many astray and they dnt knw they are on their own. There is nothin like bein on the safer side in christianity (do i come again?) . The bible is 2b obeyed hence it stresses obedience to sacrifice.And may i remind u people 'just' do things sometimes without thinking. I ask myself all those while(for years) ladies in nigeria used to dress a certain way until this doctrine of com as u are den dey automatically changed now, i ask could it be they were being the way they wr b4 cos someone was forced or compeling or pushin dem 2 ? If realy dey arent to be d way dey used 2b my questn is is it an iniquity 2 remain that way ? y d suden change?
Folow bible oo ; no b pastor- no b church
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by sokera: 8:07am On Jan 18, 2015
RedBenson:

Ok. It's biblically and religiously wrong for women to keep their head open when in the presence of God. I and my family dont do that.
in the presence of God ? Is God not everywhere ? Sincerely it is better for women to always cover their hair always because God presence is everywhere. What do you think?
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by SHOPPERS(m): 8:08am On Jan 18, 2015
(MSG)1 Corinthians 11:3, 10, 13
In a marriage relationship, there is authority from Christ to husband, and from husband to wife. The authority of Christ is the authority of God. Any man who speaks with God or about God in a way that shows a lack of respect for the authority of Christ, dishonors Christ. In the same way, a wife who speaks with God in a way that shows a lack of respect for the authority of her husband, dishonors her husband. Worse, she dishonors herself---an ugly sight, like a woman with her head shaved. This is basically the origin of these customs we have of women wearing head coverings in worship, while men take their hats off. By these symbolic acts, men and women, who far too often butt heads with each other, submit their "heads" to the Head: God.
[10] Don't, by the way, read too much into the differences here between men and women. Neither man nor woman can go it alone or claim priority. Man was created first, as a beautiful shining reflection of God---that is true. But the head on a woman's body clearly outshines in beauty the head of her "head," her husband. The first woman came from man, true---but ever since then, every man comes from a woman! And since virtually everything comes from God anyway, let's quit going through these "who's first" routines.
[13] Don't you agree there is something naturally powerful in the symbolism---a woman, her beautiful hair reminiscent of angels, praying in adoration; a man, his head bared in reverence, praying in submission? I hope you're not going to be argumentative about this. All God's churches see it this way; I don't want you standing out as an exception.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisja(m): 8:14am On Jan 18, 2015
Paul never asked that women cover their hair during a church worship, he said that they should cover their head( because the head of the woman is the man 1Cor 11:3, basically referring to married women here. Due to their practise then, single ladies don't have say in public issues). It wasn't a spirit led stuff nor God directed practise, it was mainly a traditional practice like in every society where women don't have a say because she came from the man. You really can't find a clear line where Jehovah supported or didn't support the practise. The issue with church and people is that they don't study therefore they accept all sort of nonsense.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:14am On Jan 18, 2015
Ebigbola:
This Topic has been a Topic without a answer.but in 1st Cotinthians 11vs15 says it all,but if a woman has long hair,it is a glory to her;for her hair is given to her for a covering.we shlould know the different btw HAir N Head

No homo, but I love you!
Some have eyes but cannot see!
You stole the words right outta my mouth!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by alayandekolasam(m): 8:15am On Jan 18, 2015
With sincere respect to every contributions to this topic. However,Something should be of note:
1.The bible was not only written for the christians of 2000 years ago,it is written for christians of all generation. Every christian custom as laid down in the bible is suppose to be every christian custom.
2. Some bible guru(so called)attributing the responsibility and implications ofsome bible verses to the writer especially when it doesnt favor their worldly interests. No. The bible is God's own word only delivered to us through INSPIRED writters.
3.No matter how wayward the world has gone,GOD'S
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by hotgunz(m): 8:18am On Jan 18, 2015
because s written in d bible, 1 cor 11:5
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Kingbilo(m): 8:19am On Jan 18, 2015
The better question is, why must women cover their hair if they are allowed to show cleavage

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Rapzino: 8:20am On Jan 18, 2015
KoloOyinbo:

Please see the excellent explanation of 'Hiswordxray' which should make matters clear. I rather suspect that it by 'FAITH ALONE' we are saved - not whether or not a womans hair is covered.
thank you for indulging and encouraging me to go to Church in my boxers, yiihaa!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:23am On Jan 18, 2015
Akranez:

So if a woman have long hair, she doesn't need to cover her head then..

No be so?

Na so!

And Vs 16 ended it all

"But If any man seem to be contentious, we have no such customs, neither the churches of God"

Some people get bible, but them no fit read am!
Smh my head for all the Mary Amaka them!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by hotgunz(m): 8:23am On Jan 18, 2015
sokera:
in the presence of God ? Is God not everywhere ? Sincerely it is better for women to always cover their hair always because God presence is everywhere. What do you think?
is a gud tin for lady to cover dere hair always, in islam bt in xtianity the bible says wen prayin or prophesieth
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 18, 2015
chrisviral:

Na so!

And Vs 16 ended it all

"But If any man seem to be contentious, we have no such customs, neither the churches of God"

Some people get bible, but them no fit read am!
Smh my hair for all the Mary Amaka them!

Case closed!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by 49cents(m): 8:27am On Jan 18, 2015
Its more of a socio-cultural thing which connotes respect for the house and presence of God in worship!!

Eurpeaan churches, even the Catholic church even in the Vatican, don't cover their hair but that doesn't mean we are reverecing God more becos we still do here in Africa!

True reverence is from the heart but then covering the hair is a gesture showing humilty for us who were brought up to this way!, more like a mieaningful traditional practice that can help one remember their smallnes before the Almighty

I don't think I can wear a phase cap to church cos taking my cap off is a way I humble myself and acknoledge the infinite superiority of God to me; but I can doff my cap and still dishonour God in more grave ways......so really I shopuld focus on homouring God from the depths of my heart in all things than in dwelling on what coulLd merely become piestic exterior practices
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Stallione(m): 8:27am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
but the kind of church i attend, we dont that,.....does that make unholy....cause i know am a christiab
u cover ur hair as a woman inside the church as respect 2God and how Mary mother of jesus does.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by peteruuu(m): 8:27am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
Can anyone throw more light on this
It's not necessary ladies cover their hair
1 Corinthians 11 vs 15

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by adeniyitheprof(m): 8:28am On Jan 18, 2015
Hiswordxray:
In the book of first Corinthians Paul gave certain instructions and he gave a reason for each of these instructions. Some he said it is directly from the Lord, another he said it's from the wisdom that God gave him, yet another he said it's just an advice. But when it came to the issue of women covering their hair he said "Now if anyone is disposed to be argumentative and contentious about this, we hold to and recognize no other custom [in worship] than this, nor do the churches of God generally." (1Cor 11:16).
Paul didn't say didn't say this is directly from the Lord and he didn't say if women didn't cover their hair they will go to Hell.

But Paul said this is a custom. Custom tells you what you need to do to be a part of a group or a society. And to be a part of the Church as at that time you must cover your hair as a woman.
But the gospel tells you what you need to do to make heaven and have a foretaste of heaven on earth.

Women covering hair is nothing but a custom for believer as at the time that verse was written. But if you choose to follow it fine and if you don't want to follow it there is nothing wrong with that.

Hello my brother, the interpretation of the verse you quoted above is WRONG. Possibly, you used AMP version but I will stick to KJV version and which says 1 Cor. 11:16, "But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God" To you, all the illustrations given before this very verse are worthless, meaningless and of course, MERE CUSTOM. The interpretation is "If any man desires to argue with or is not happy with what I, Paul has said unto you, tell him that we, Paul and those listening to him, have no such CUSTOM, neither the churches of God. WHAT IS THIS CUSTOM in 1 Cor 11:16? The custom of engaging in "foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law:" as it is written in Titus 2:9 for us not to engage in such things. That is why he specifically mentioned that "neither the churches of God"
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Abbey2sam(m): 8:31am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
that's true....
those days it was a custom/ fashion trend for Jewish women to cover their hair. I think it should not be mandatory for women to cover their hair.

so you know and you have the impetus to come and open a thread on it..........All your activities is making you infamous
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:31am On Jan 18, 2015
adeniyitheprof:

Hello my brother, the interpretation of the verse you quoted above is WRONG. Possibly, you used AMP version but I will stick to KJV version and which says 1 Cor. 11:16, "But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God" To you, all the illustrations given before this very verse are worthless, meaningless and of course, MERE CUSTOM. The interpretation is "If any man desires to argue with or is not happy with what I, Paul has said unto you, tell him that we, Paul and those listening to him, have no such CUSTOM, neither the churches of God. WHAT IS THIS CUSTOM in 1 Cor 11:16? The custom of engaging in "foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law:" as it is written in Titus 2:9 for us not to engage in such things. That is why he specifically mentioned that "neither the churches of God"

shocked shocked shocked
See twisting ooooo
I fear you, you can change A into B!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by hotgunz(m): 8:31am On Jan 18, 2015
ireneony:
but the kind of church i attend, we dont that,.....does that make unholy....cause i know am a christiab
d main problem wit xtainity s ds very topic, misinterpretation of the bible to favour you and ur follower, ds church says sumtin else anoda church say anoda... Too much grammar many meanin and @ d end of d day different believes compared to our cousin religion islam, same meanin and no english cos d know english s confusing
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by Nobody: 8:32am On Jan 18, 2015
hotgunz:
is a gud tin for lady to cover dere hair always, in islam bt in xtianity the bible says wen prayin or prophesieth

Dont dilute the content of the bible. By right it should a norm for ladies to always cover their hair.
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:33am On Jan 18, 2015
Lol, I remember watching videos where even Jesus covered his head with clothes as a Man, does this mean he disrespect God grin wink cheesy grin

Chai! English na Mathematics!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2015
ollah1:

Dont dilute the content of the bible. By right it should a norm for ladies to always cover their hair.

Cover their head not hair!
Your hair was originally meant as the covering!
Only women who had their hairs shaven need materials to cover their heads!

Like wise with men, according to that bible, it doesn't stop with taking off your cap, it extends to having low cut too...

But at the end, He did say, We as christians don't have such customs!
Re: Why Do Most Churches Make It Mandatory For Women To Cover Their Hair In Church? by chrisviral(m): 8:37am On Jan 18, 2015
ollah1:

Cover their head not hair!
Your hair was originally meant as the covering!
Only women who had their hairs shaven need materials to cover their hairs!

Like wise with men, according to that bible, it doesn't stop with taking off your cap, it extends to having low cut too...

But at the end, He did say, We as christians don't have such customs!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Those Who Lived Wayward Life In School Get Better Opportunities Than Church Goer / The Yoruba Origins Of The Name Moses (not The Man Moses) - By Reno Omokri / I Don't Fall When Touched By My Church Pastor For Annoting

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.