Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,181 members, 7,860,238 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:13 AM

Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? - Religion (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? (47500 Views)

Should A Man Who Is A Born-Again Christian Be A Gynaecologist? / When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? / Can A Born Again Christian Be A Traditional Ruler In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 6:17pm On Jan 13, 2015
Ubenedictus:
you don't need to agree with all his ideologies, the OSAS theology alone qualifies you to be a calvinist.

OSAS happens to be a a popular theology the Calvinist group are known for does not mean they don't have other principles that form their movement and belief system. Do you know that?
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 6:22pm On Jan 13, 2015
Ubenedictus:
i have written it already, it follows my first post on justification.

I am still yet to see where you proved God's call isn't enough to make us qualified for eternal salvation?
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:21pm On Jan 13, 2015
shdemidemi:

I am still yet to see where you proved God's call isn't enough to make us qualified for eternal salvation?

that reminds me, doesn't scripture say many are called few are chosen? The call doesn't grant automatic salvation to anyone, there is a response to the call, then there is faith, after that comes baptism and justification, sanctification and then glorification.

If the call qualified everyone to eternal salvation, all who are called will be saved.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by Ubenedictus(m): 7:38pm On Jan 13, 2015
Ubenedictus:

i'll even push it futher!

Scriptures also associates justification with baptism, when peter was asked what do we do to be saved, scriptures record.

Act 2:38 "repent and be baptised all of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sin and ye shall receive the gift of the holy spirit"
in 1 cor 6: 11 st paul says "you are washed, you are sanctified, you are justified in the name of Jesus christ and the spirit of our God.

Act 22:16, paul have a even deeper teaching in Rm 6:3-11, he shows that baptism associates us with Christ death, we die in him and we are raised to new life. That i believe is the way justification is effected.

*smiles*

and lastly

we can lose justification, most of the passage have already been quoted,

Galatians 5:19-20: "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are (these): fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties, envyings,
drunkenness, revelings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I forewarn those on the thread as paul did, those who willingly commit sins as those listed above should know they won't inherit eternal life. They will by their own disobedience reject God's gift.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:47pm On Jan 13, 2015
Ubenedictus:

that reminds me, doesn't scripture say many are called few are chosen? The call doesn't grant automatic salvation to anyone, there is a response to the call, then there is faith, after that comes baptism and justification, sanctification and then glorification.

If the call qualified everyone to eternal salvation, all who are called will be saved.

Romans 8

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified..

See how God did the work from foreknowledge to glorification of the Saint according to this passage. No part of this process was played by man's ability but God's.

I await the part of scripture that gives you the idea that one can actually refuse God in the day of His power.

1 Like

Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:49pm On Jan 13, 2015
Ubenedictus:

and lastly

we can lose justification, most of the passage have already been quoted,

Galatians 5:19-20: "Now the [size=22pt]works of the flesh[/size] are manifest, which are (these): fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousies, wraths, factions, divisions, parties, envyings,
drunkenness, revelings, and such like; of which I forewarn you, even as I did forewarn you, that they who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I forewarn those on the thread as paul did, those who willingly commit sins as those listed above should know they won't inherit eternal life. They will by their own disobedience reject God's gift.

Are you of the flesh or of the spirit?
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by esere826: 1:53am On Jan 15, 2015
italo:
The subject is truly bigger than people like you who laugh in ignorace because you do not know that the noun "sickler" is not from a verb "sick." It is from the word "sickle" as in "sickle cell."
A person who sins is a sinner. Come up with another ignorant defence.
I couldn't help interjecting abeg no vex

sick is not a verb
it as an adjective

a verb signifies action, eg the boy JUMPS
while an adjective signifies an attribute eg the man is SICK or the dress is RED

Sick is only a verb in UK pidgin (informal English). it is then used like this:
he sicked (i.e. vomitted) in the pub
grin

make all of una suffery dey misyarn oooo
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by italo: 3:49am On Jan 15, 2015
esere826:

I couldn't help interjecting abeg no vex

sick is not a verb
it as an adjective

a verb signifies action, eg the boy JUMPS
while an adjective signifies an attribute eg the man is SICK or the dress is RED

Sick is only a verb in UK pidgin (informal English). it is then used like this:
he sicked (i.e. vomitted) in the pub
grin

make all of una suffery dey misyarn oooo

I didn't say "sick" was a verb. I said "sickler" is not from a verb "sick" implying that that was what Goshen360 thought when he likened it to 'sin - sinner,' 'sing - singer,' 'believe - believer.'

Think before you type. Think well.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 6:12am On Jan 15, 2015
@italo

Are you a sinner?
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 7:04am On Jan 15, 2015
Shdemidemi,
Do you sin?

shdemidemi:
@italo

Are you a sinner?
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:10am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:
Shdemidemi,
Do you sin?

Yes
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 7:12am On Jan 15, 2015
Shdemidemi,
Between Paul and Peter, who preached Repentance?
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 7:13am On Jan 15, 2015
What do you do AFTER realising you have sinned?
shdemidemi:

Yes
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:15am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:
What do you do AFTER realising you have sinned?

I ask for forgiveness of the sins I am aware of and even those that I am not conscious about.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:17am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:
Shdemidemi,
Between Paul and Peter, who preached Repentance?

The crux of Peter's message is repentance while that of Paul is 'belief'.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 7:17am On Jan 15, 2015
Aren't your sins ALREADY forgiven...Past,present and future?
shdemidemi:

I ask for forgiveness of the sins I am aware of and even those that I am not conscious about.

Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 7:17am On Jan 15, 2015
Did Paul preach repentance?
shdemidemi:

Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:21am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:

Did Paul preach repentance?

Paul taught that the Understanding of The gospel leads one to repentance. It is not in us to repent from the outside, it takes an inward transformation by the gospel to reveal an outward revelation of repentance. Inside-out change.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 7:24am On Jan 15, 2015
You are not clear in your response.
According to Paul, KNOWLEDGE leads to REPENTANCE, right?

So did he teach repentance, or did anybody else teach a different formula?
shdemidemi:

Paul taught that the Understanding of The gospel leads one to repentance. It is not in us to repent from the outside, it takes an inward transformation by the gospel to reveal an outward revelation of repentance. Inside-out change.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:28am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:
You are not clear in your response.
According to Paul, KNOWLEDGE leads to REPENTANCE, right?

So did he teach repentance?

Pay attention...

Peter preached repentance which comes as a result of remorse. Paul preached it as a subsequent change which comes after one is filled with the Word of God(doctrine/gospel). The change come as a result of the Word.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 7:34am On Jan 15, 2015
Peter: Remorse~~~>Repentance
Paul: Word of God~~~>Repentance

What is the difference between these two? Any scriptural basis?

Can one repent if they are not remorseful, if they bear zero regret for the subject of their repentance?
shdemidemi:

Pay attention...

Peter preached repentance which comes as a result of remorse. Paul preached it as a subsequent change which comes after one is filled with the Word of God(doctrine/gospel). The change come as a result of the Word.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:40am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:

Peter: Remorse~~~>Repentance
Paul: Word of God~~~>Repentance

What is the difference between these two? Any scriptural basis?

Can one repent if they are not remorseful, if they bear zero regret for the subject of their repentance?

Peter's call for repentance is primarily based on my act of sin i.e lies, steal, jealousy .....

Paul's call for repentance is for the sin imputed in us through Adam which causes us to carry out the act.... When the issue is addressed from the source, it reflects the acts of sin.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 7:46am On Jan 15, 2015
Peter's repentance is for SIN whereas Paul's repentance. Is for the Cause of SIN?

What's the difference between these?

And how comes NONE of Paul's preaching records him addressing Cause of SIN?

Once again, why do you ask for forgiveness of your sins yet your past,present and future sins are. Forgiven?
shdemidemi:

Peter's call for repentance is primarily based on my act of sin i.e lies, steal, jealousy .....

Paul's call for repentance is for the sin imputed in us through Adam which causes us to carry out the act.... When the issue is addressed from the source, it reflects the acts of sin.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 7:53am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:
Peter's repentance is for SIN whereas Paul's repentance. Is for the Cause of SIN?

What's the difference between these?

One deals with sin from the source through God's imputation of righteousness.

The other addresses sin from man's ability to abhor sin in other to stay on the right side of God.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 8:13am On Jan 15, 2015
So, Paul was least concerned with abhoring sin seeing God imputed righteousness?

shdemidemi:

One deals with sin from the source through God's imputation of righteousness.

The other addresses sin from man's ability to abhor sin in other to stay on the right side of God.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 8:18am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:
So, Paul was least concerned with abhoring sin seeing God imputed righteousness?

Do you understand imputation of God's righteousness and the understanding of His goodness through His Word(doctrine) leads to repentance?

Romans 2:4
Don't you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can't you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 8:22am On Jan 15, 2015
Did Paul teach abhorrence of sin?

You already admitted that Peter did. We need to examine the much touted 'difference' between Paul and Peter
shdemidemi:

Do you understand imputation of God's righteousness and the understanding of His goodness through His Word(doctrine) leads to repentance?

Romans 2:4
Don't you see how wonderfully kind, tolerant, and patient God is with you? Does this mean nothing to you? Can't you see that his kindness is intended to turn you from your sin?
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 8:30am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:

Did Paul teach abhorrence of sin?
You already admitted that Peter did

Paul did in Romans 12-13. However it is impossible for one to abhor sin or practice what is righteous by God's standard without the imputation of righteousness. Death to self must occur before one dares to abhore the act of sin else it will be done in simulation and self-righteousness.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by vooks: 9:02am On Jan 15, 2015
Brilliant!
Paul and Peter preached repentance and they both preached abhorring sin.
Thank you sir cool

A few words from Paul's preaching on repentance;

Acts 17:30-31 New King James Version (NKJV)

30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

Acts 20:21 New King James Version (NKJV)
21 testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:20 New King James Version (NKJV)
20 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance

I wonder whether this word REPENT so freely used by Paul and Peter meant different things.

The last scripture is interesting; we have Paul preaching WORK! Just like John the Baptist. Glory to God! And isn't this what James was talking about?

The other thing worthy noting is REPENTANCE. What do we mean by REPENTANCE? Any idea bro?
shdemidemi:

Paul did in Romans 12-13. However it is impossible for one to abhor sin or practice what is righteous by God's standard without the imputation of righteousness. Death to self must occur before one dares to abhore the act of sin.

Look at Acts 20:21 and contrast them to this post

shdemidemi:

Paul taught BOTH repentance and belief/faith
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by italo: 9:48am On Jan 15, 2015
shdemidemi:
@italo

Are you a sinner?

Yes.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by shdemidemi(m): 10:18am On Jan 15, 2015
vooks:
Brilliant!
Paul and Peter preached repentance and they both preached abhorring sin.
Thank you sir cool

Who said they didn't?
vooks:

A few words from Paul's preaching on repentance;

Acts 17:30-31 New King James Version (NKJV)

30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

Acts 20:21 New King James Version (NKJV)
21 testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 26:20 New King James Version (NKJV)
20 but declared first to those in Damascus and in Jerusalem, and throughout all the region of Judea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance

I wonder whether this word REPENT so freely used by Paul and Peter meant different things.

The last scripture is interesting; we have Paul preaching WORK! Just like John the Baptist. Glory to God! And isn't this what James was talking about?

The other thing worthy noting is REPENTANCE. What do we mean by REPENTANCE? Any idea bro?

Look at Acts 20:21 and contrast them to this post

Paul taught BOTH repentance and belief/faith

You keep running from pillar to post like a colt and a novice about this issue of Paul.

The book of Act of Apostle isn't a doctrinal book but a time when history was unfolding and it was progressive. Your style of seeing the entire book like one big story book you can randomly pick statements that appeal to you from is gateway to error. Paul did not know all he knew the first day he got converted, yet he preached at that time. He was away for three years before after which he came back to present the message of Grace to all.
Re: Can A Christian Be Justify & Still Be Guilty As Charged? by italo: 11:46am On Jan 15, 2015
shdemidemi:

Who said they didn't?

You keep running from pillar to post like a colt and a novice about this issue of Paul.

The book of Act of Apostle isn't a doctrinal book but a time when history was unfolding and it was progressive. Your style of seeing the entire book like one big story book you can randomly pick statements that appeal to you from is gateway to error. Paul did not know all he knew the first day he got converted, yet he preached at that time. He was away for three years before after which he came back to present the message of Grace to all.

So Paul was ignorant of what he was saying in Acts?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (26) (Reply)

How Pastor Adeboye Announced Retirement Before Osinbajo, Other Pastors / Police Rent Out Station To Church For Service In Lagos (pic) / Apostle Kenneth Kenny Kills A Dog, Eats It Raw In Church And Feeds Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.