Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,263 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) (64617 Views)

 Shocking Facts You Don't Know About Yoruba's || Www.naijaram.com / 15 Common Misconceptions About Yoruba People / What A Blaine Harden Wrote About Yoruba People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by silversonuc(m): 2:37pm On Jan 12, 2015
Viktoh:
Proud YORUBA proud ISEYIN
r we tokin of same iseyin dat hosts corpers for 3weeks?
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by alvins4ull(m): 2:37pm On Jan 12, 2015
Wyclefniranz:
that world?.......good,don't use that world pls
My bad well,we see world at different angles that's exactly what you want to see "Ohun to koju senikan eyin lo ko si elomiran bi ilu gangan".It's two post actually and I've corrected my mistake in my last response.I would've loved to be your friend if only you can change your name to "ATTACK".#phone#dictionary#my#carelessness#
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by Habibuisah1(m): 2:48pm On Jan 12, 2015
[quote author=DanceVille post=29526145][/quote]proudly yoruba by blood but fully grown in Katsina,missing some of my beautiful cultures beliefs custom traditions........to mention few
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by kennysbst(m): 3:11pm On Jan 12, 2015
Yoruba land the land of our fore father Oduduwa.the blessed land with great mineral resources reserved,starting frm Agriculture,Gold,limestone,ore etc but not forgetting Crude oil also! don't be surprised! Check frm Lagos,Ogun,Ondo,Edo.

Who say we are lazy? But yet our brother own's second lantest airport in London presently.

while our great mother Mrs Funmilayo Alakija is the richest woman in world.meeeen!do u knw what dat means.Richest woman on The planet.

Anyway google can be of help on their personalities.

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jan 12, 2015
mizvee:
i like yoruba ppl small...yes small cos they gossip a lot tongue
LoL,is part of our culture.

1 Like

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by GovWahala: 3:28pm On Jan 12, 2015
ireneony:
I agreed with everything except no.5
You have no choice than to agree!
It's Good u are changing from your bad and evil ways.
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by mufutau55(m): 3:41pm On Jan 12, 2015
abbyyzino:
Otun, Baggii family

Good. Omo Iya mi. See my email to you. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by mufutau55(m): 3:43pm On Jan 12, 2015
kennysbst:
Yoruba land the land of our fore father Oduduwa.Anyway google can be of help on their personalities.

Please state which Oba is this. Thanks.

Hajji M.
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by VENTY0(f): 4:05pm On Jan 12, 2015
Omo yoba ni mi

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by kennysbst(m): 6:20pm On Jan 12, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

CONTRIBUTOR: AllisonEng

WEBSITE Oyotunji African Village
ADDRESS Kingdom of Oyotunji Yoruba
African Village, 56 Bryant Lane,
Seabrook, South Carolina, 29940,

In the swamp lands of Sheldon, South Carolina,
stands an authentic Yoruba village founded in the
1970s by Oba Oseijeman Adefunmi I. His followers
came from New York, Chicago, and Indiana to
establish the Kingdom of Oyotunji, now the oldest
genuine African Village in North America, with the
aim of reigniting African culture.
The less than 50 residents (a sharp decrease from a population
that once numbered 200) of the village follow a mixture of the
customs and traditions of Yoruba and Fon cultures, living in
simple shacks, wearing traditional West African garments, and
following religious counseling and training. The entire village
is over 10 acres and holds assorted structures such as open air
shrines, courtyards, and a traditional bazaar that sells
handmade artwork, jewelry, herbs, and clothing made by the
residents.
King Oba II lives in Afin, the royal palace with his wife and
two children. He still practices the tradition of ritual facial
scarring that is customary for kings, but has given up certain
traditions such as polygamy (which his father Oba Adefunmi I
recognized) and animal sacrifice.
Though the residents have come to rely on basic amenities
such as electricity and indoor plumbing, they still try to live a
simply as possible, relying on tourists to keep the economy
afloat as well as the village priests who give lectures at local
high schools, colleges, and universities.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/oyotunji-african-village
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by kennysbst(m): 6:27pm On Jan 12, 2015
mufutau55:

Hajji M.

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by Charbless(m): 6:35pm On Jan 12, 2015
They have the highest amount. Of Cele peeps

1 Like

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by mufutau55(m): 7:12pm On Jan 12, 2015
kennysbst:

WEBSITE Oyotunji African Village
ADDRESS Kingdom of Oyotunji Yoruba
African Village, 56 Bryant Lane,
Seabrook, South Carolina, 29940,

Thank you. I know them in South Carolina.
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by omotogoodo(m): 7:20pm On Jan 12, 2015
Oya bajinatu kan fa won goons mi. Emi li omo egba omo lisabi! Abi baisi?
If I would come to this world a thousand times. I would be a yoruba. I love my tribe, haters go and die!!! Hardly will I speak for a minutes without spewing a proverb or two (teni n teni tekisa ntatan). Our language is being taught and learnt even by the whites. Its the most thriving language in Nigeria. Oya bajinatu kan fa won goons mi. Poka!!! cheesy

IRep Abeokuta
IRep Ibadan
IRep Yorubaland. grin
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by villavic(m): 8:05pm On Jan 12, 2015
proudly Yoruba...God bless the Yoruba lands n everything on it
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by sam4(m): 9:00pm On Jan 12, 2015
OMO OODUA EE GBAYI JOOOOOOOOOO. Mo ki gbogbo wa ni tile toko oooo, ako ere oko dele lagbara aseda
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by saintjoel(m): 9:13pm On Jan 12, 2015
Omo yoruba ni emi o,swagger.

Proudly yoruba from ketu dahomey kingdom in benin republic and the esibi family of Ado-odo.We're cowards,we're dirty,we backbite,we are lazy,we sleep with oour neighbours' wives but I'm proud to be a yoruba man and my head will always be raised high cos no matter what they say,we're and will forever be proud of our heritage.

1 Like

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jan 12, 2015
Very nice write up. I love the yoruba's cultural attire, with the large hairtie, though we igbos tie that too. But its just so lovely. Their dances, and the talking drum. Hmmm, sweet culture.
Nice one @Op

3 Likes

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by kennysbst(m): 5:44am On Jan 13, 2015
Most respected culture and tradition in Nigeria.without sentiment give to the Yorubas.u will always hear others tribes speaking the language with joy of expression frm them all, cos it very flexible jst like the English language.

No wonder yoruba language once came third in world sexiest language raking.u can still google it.
Have always been seeing white people speaking only yoruba language excellently and some things I ask myself why only yoruba language among the rest.

Yorubas is the only cultural group that rock overseas with his local songs and white dance to it without any English words in most songs.
Check the yorubas highlive musicians performances on stage starting frm King sunny Ade,rolling Dollar,Pasuma wonder,salawa Abeni,Osupa,and rest of Fuji artists and not forgetting Lagbaja.

I once heard a foreigner on Air that say they do pay much to study how to speak yoruba language in abroad cos once u can speak it you are like a God to them starting frm Brazil,Argentina,Cuba, Venezuela and mostly all southern American countries.yorubas culture and traditions are widely practise.

Yorubas are so much loved with their cultural preservation,starting frm their unique dressing,talking drums,Songs,proverbs etc

No wonder we are envy!
Am proud to be a yoruba Boy.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by shiffynaani(m): 10:51am On Jan 13, 2015
Uchesis:

Ok we will leave
But
The GDP of nigeria will crash

I'm sure u know wat dat means. Lol
bleeping GDP that does not translate to better living!
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by macof(m): 11:56am On Jan 13, 2015
alvins4ull:
Ouch that hurts men,well I would've have said you're "DAFT"but I wouldn't want to use that world.And I don't have to be play victim for what happened, okay?.It seems you're here to "ATTACK",wish means there's no forgiveness in your beliefs I pity your friends.Calling people names is not my hubby and I'm not "BUILT"that way,lolz Or do you want me to say sorry to you also "no way".It left to you anyways

This is the playing victim part that I keep saying...you insulted the Yoruba people by calling us idol worshipers, correcting you is now insults? You trying to play emotional blackmail on me with d bold? You think that works for everybody?

Jst take correction, It's ISESE, ABORISA, IFA-ORISA or simply Yoruba..but not idol worshipping...that's an insult

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by Wenom: 7:37pm On Jan 13, 2015
;Dlast time I checked,yoruba land na shalanga...doz peeps dirty nor b small,smell of shite lyk perfume in thiei noses,dem cn sell stretch marks n bleaching is their hubby,evn d men(very irritating),dey cn steal hubbies!...to be continued!
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by kennysbst(m): 8:52pm On Jan 13, 2015
Wenom:
;Dlast time I checked,yoruba land na shalanga...doz peeps dirty nor b small,smell of shite lyk perfume in thiei noses,dem cn sell stretch marks n bleaching is their hubby,evn d men(very irritating),dey cn steal hubbies!...to be continued!

Where do u come frm?
Can your culture and Tradition withstand ours?
Can ur cultural gain recognition as we do?

Why can't you back off!

I believe u been envying was all because u can't match with us.as one of our adage says and I quote (eni aleiba la joowu) U only envy who u can never match with.but if u can then u keep silent.

Assignment or Home work to you.

Apart frm Nigeria and even Africa at large.are people willing to accept or must have adapted to your language and culture?

Which tribe brought civilisation to African at large by providing the first broadcasting station in Africa?

Can any tribe in Nigeria label the all parts of human body without remaining,with their language except the yoruba language?

Can you tell me the owner of second airport in London?

Can u tell me the first millionaire in Nigeria not even MKO?

Can u tell me the richest woman presently on our planet?

Submit b4 7:30am tomorrow morning.Good day!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by Adeyinka12(m): 10:42pm On Jan 13, 2015
kennysbst:

Where do u come frm?
Can your culture and Tradition withstand ours?
Can ur cultural gain recognition as we do?

Why can't you back off!

I believe u been envying was all because u can't match with us.as one of our adage says and I quote (eni aleiba la joowu) U only envy who u can never match with.but if u can then u keep silent.

Assignment or Home work to you.

Apart frm Nigeria and even Africa at large.are people willing to accept or must have adapted to your language and culture?

Which tribe brought civilisation to African at large by providing the first broadcasting station in Africa?

Can any tribe in Nigeria label the all parts of human body without remaining,with their language except the yoruba language?

Can you tell me the owner of second airport in London?

Can u tell me the first millionaire in Nigeria not even MKO?

Can u tell me the richest woman presently on our planet?

Submit b4 7:30am tomorrow morning.Good day!
tirin bakan rin,ikan a te fun kan,melo larare ,ko ro rii gbe.
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by alvins4ull(m): 11:40pm On Jan 13, 2015
macof:

This is the playing victim part that I keep saying...you insulted the Yoruba people by calling us idol worshipers, correcting you is now insults? You trying to play emotional blackmail on me with d bold? You think that works for everybody?

Jst take correction, It's ISESE, ABORISA, IFA-ORISA or simply Yoruba..but not idol worshipping...that's an insult
Hello friend, I've acknowledged my mistake that's when I apologized,because i know the gravity "people religion should be respected".You said I play emotional blackmail on you,that's not the truth, I'm not good at twisting words "I said it the way I feel/know it.But after my apology is been accepted by my first attacker you kept calling me names.Do you correct people by insulting or making jest of them?I know if I've not responded,I would've become object of ridicule.I'm a Yoruba, Adewale by name and nobody is perfect we all made mistakes/short comings.Some maybe so glaring to the extent it'll be like "is this man crazy".Like what happened to me "don't call that pathetic or emotional blackmail okay?Just kidding.I'll take that correction to my heart and I'll make sure I didn't FORGET that.Thanks and stay blessed "IFA-ORISA/ORUNMILA A GBEWA O".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by tonychristopher: 12:18am On Jan 14, 2015
[quote author=DanceVille post=29526145][/quote]

Is that all....just these few things
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by tonychristopher: 12:21am On Jan 14, 2015
kennysbst:
Most respected culture and tradition in Nigeria.without sentiment give to the Yorubas.u will always hear others tribes speaking the language with joy of expression frm them all, cos it very flexible jst like the English language.

No wonder yoruba language once came third in world sexiest language raking.u can still google it.
Have always been seeing white people speaking only yoruba language excellently and some things I ask myself why only yoruba language among the rest.

Yorubas is the only cultural group that rock overseas with his local songs and white dance to it without any English words in most songs.
Check the yorubas highlive musicians performances on stage starting frm King sunny Ade,rolling Dollar,Pasuma wonder,salawa Abeni,Osupa,and rest of Fuji artists and not forgetting Lagbaja.

I once heard a foreigner on Air that say they do pay much to study how to speak yoruba language in abroad cos once u can speak it you are like a God to them starting frm Brazil,Argentina,Cuba, Venezuela and mostly all southern American countries.yorubas culture and traditions are widely practise.

Yorubas are so much loved with their cultural preservation,starting frm their unique dressing,talking drums,Songs,proverbs etc

No wonder we are envy!
Am proud to be a yoruba Boy.

Hmmm that's a new one

Pls I am interested on this info

Give me credible references
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by alvins4ull(m): 12:34am On Jan 14, 2015
A Kii nile baba kama niti iya.Uferen ewen lee o,se surun-kurun?.I represent Ondo this morning, Ifinrin-afo,ose local government in Ondo state.Emi lomo olugbo ya doji mawo, adoji yo wogbo wa,doni "ebora".
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by kennysbst(m): 3:42am On Jan 14, 2015
tonychristopher:

Hmmm that's a new one

Pls I am interested on this info

Give me credible references

It so easy. Jst go to google type world sexiest language

On google type adebayo ogunlesi and confirm it ownership of Gatwick airport in london,like wise Fummilayo alakija as world rishest woman and so on.no one can jst come online and started kidding us without a fact.

We yorubas are great administrator,capitalist,engineers,professors etc u name any positive things and we are well represented.

We yoruba are too cool headed,one can hardly predicted.we have numerous billionaires which maintain low keys and for sure if not for press no one could have ever heard of Mike Adenuga.
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by kennysbst(m): 7:51am On Jan 14, 2015
tonychristopher:

Is that all....just these few things

Adeyinka12:
tirin bakan rin,ikan a te fun kan,melo larare ,ko ro rii gbe.

Eseun mi o.ni edeilu mi loluyole ibadan.

I still gat much evidence to show later.
Re: 5 Notable Facts About Yoruba People (àwon Ómó Yorùbá) by tonychristopher: 7:57am On Jan 14, 2015
kennysbst:

It so easy. Jst go to google type world sexiest language

On google type adebayo ogunlesi and confirm it ownership of Gatwick airport in london,like wise Fummilayo alakija as world rishest woman and so on.no one can jst come online and started kidding us without a fact.

We yorubas are great administrator,capitalist,engineers,professors etc u name any positive things and we are well represented.

We yoruba are too cool headed,one can hardly predicted.we have numerous billionaires which maintain low keys and for sure if not for press no one could have ever heard of Mike Adenuga.

Airport kwa.. maybe you land there freely without paying air ticket

Alakija is a bottom asss power we all know that

A seamstress that became a mistress then an oil baroness

I think I prefer Oprah Winfrey she worked hard
Alakija fuckkked hard

Don't you think

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Beauty And The Neck! Meet The ‘giraffe’ Women Of Padaung Tribe In Burma / Wuraola And Ooni Ogunwusi Attend An Event Together (Photos) / Alaafin’s Wife Olori Kafayat Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.