Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,069 members, 7,828,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! (2027 Views)

5 Soft Skills Employers Are Looking For In Applicants / 5 Ways You Should Research Employers Before Any Interview / Best FREE CV Formats To Make You Stand Out To Employers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! by Sleek05(f): 9:30am On Jan 06, 2015
Good Morning Nairalanders,

I resigned from my job a couple of months ago and while waiting for another job, I decided to take a few freelance writing jobs. I saw a couple of vacancies on this forum and decided to apply. I got them.

Now, the first one needed an Academic writer. I have a Masters degree and so that was no problem. I did the job and submitted after two days, all about 15 pages. I made one mistake however, we did not negotiate the amount i'll be paid as I was more concerned about impressing her. We know what PHCN is like in Nigeria so I fuelled the generator, used data from my Swift modem and committed two days to writing this thesis.

She loved it and told me I was in. Then she offered me 1k. I lamented about how much time, money and sweat I spent on the project. The 1k barely covered the money I spent on fuel for the generator. She was hell bent on not paying more than that and covered up with the fact that her clients were selfish and I needed to start small yada yada. She just did not get that I ran at a loss, or pretended not to. Her moniker is 'eri pecs' on Nairaland and I could post a couple of screen shots to substantiate my claims if I have to. She eventually sent 1000 worth of recharge card. Lol

Second Experience

I didn't make the mistake of not negotiating amount with this person. We did in fact on a weekly basis, albeit a paltry sum but it was better than nothing. My job was posting on an entertainment blog called 9ja olofofo, with an average of 8 to 10 posts in a day. Although I had a couple of issues starting up as the site had issues and my phone would not post but I eventually worked it out and posted religiously for a week. There were times I did about 13 posts in a day because I was beginning to enjoy it. Then it was time for pay for the first week and this person began to post me. He has asked for my account number twice but has refused to pay or give any reasons why. What I get in return when I ask is an attitude. Today marks one week that my pay was due and I really am over it now. He has a partner who I would ping to tell what was going on and that one would lie and cover up for him and they were both playing me.

I am posting this so as to ensure that other Nairalanders/Jobseekers don't fall into this same trap. The feeling of being cheated is a very painful one as at some point, all you need, even if the person in question cannot pay is a sincere apology and not an attitude which I got from the persons in question.

If you know of a smarter way to deal with online job 'employers', please share as it will help others.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! by shiftmarket(m): 5:45pm On Jan 06, 2015
Sleek05:
Good Morning Nairalanders,

I resigned from my job a couple of months ago and while waiting for another job, I decided to take a few freelance writing jobs. I saw a couple of vacancies on this forum and decided to apply. I got them.

Now, the first one needed an Academic writer. I have a Masters degree and so that was no problem. I did the job and submitted after two days, all about 15 pages. I made one mistake however, we did not negotiate the amount i'll be paid as I was more concerned about impressing her. We know what PHCN is like in Nigeria so I fuelled the generator, used data from my Swift modem and committed two days to writing this thesis.

She loved it and told me I was in. Then she offered me 1k. I lamented about how much time, money and sweat I spent on the project. The 1k barely covered the money I spent on fuel for the generator. She was hell bent on not paying more than that and covered up with the fact that her clients were selfish and I needed to start small yada yada. She just did not get that I ran at a loss, or pretended not to. Her moniker is 'eri pecs' on Nairaland and I could post a couple of screen shots to substantiate my claims if I have to. She eventually sent 1000 worth of recharge card. Lol

Second Experience

I didn't make the mistake of not negotiating amount with this person. We did in fact on a weekly basis, albeit a paltry sum but it was better than nothing. My job was posting on an entertainment blog called 9ja olofofo, with an average of 8 to 10 posts in a day. Although I had a couple of issues starting up as the site had issues and my phone would not post but I eventually worked it out and posted religiously for a week. There were times I did about 13 posts in a day because I was beginning to enjoy it. Then it was time for pay for the first week and this person began to post me. He has asked for my account number twice but has refused to pay or give any reasons why. What I get in return when I ask is an attitude. Today marks one week that my pay was due and I really am over it now. He has a partner who I would ping to tell what was going on and that one would lie and cover up for him and they were both playing me.

I am posting this so as to ensure that other Nairalanders/Jobseekers don't fall into this same trap. The feeling of being cheated is a very painful one as at some point, all you need, even if the person in question cannot pay is a sincere apology and not an attitude which I got from the persons in question.

If you know of a smarter way to deal with online job 'employers', please share as it will help others.

WWW.odesk.com

1 Like

Re: My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! by Googleus(m): 9:26pm On Jan 06, 2015
thanks OP 4d eye opener...

i would ve fallen a victim if not 4ur timely exposure..

backing out of d deal with one of them
Re: My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! by olempe(m): 9:32am On Jan 08, 2015
Well, its so sad to hear ur story brother. But I can say they're not all the same. Because I've been working for an online news media in Nigeria for close to two years now and he never owed me a dime. In fact in December he played me more than 40k (salary plus Christmas bonus). Its what I've been doing while looking for job.

Meanwhile, for the academic writing job u did, u were really cheated and scammed and I feel for u. I have reasons to believe that ur employer got the job somewhere else and got played in dollars but simply used u, its not fair.

Visit http://uvocorp.com for real academic jobs, my cousin worked with them last year and made about $121 in two weeks. Its real, but u gotta pass their exams first. Good luck.
Re: My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! by funmo(m): 12:25am On Feb 05, 2015
TAKE HEART MA

all will be well
Re: My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! by pandrnigeria: 3:49pm On May 10, 2016
Really sad experience.
Thats whay happens when dont value hardwork, deligence.

We have taken out time to launch a freelance portal- Proudly Nigerian
Calling for enrollment now.

features are

Build your freelance business

If you have amazing skills, we have amazing freelance jobs. With 1+ million clients using our platform from June 1st 2016, Project and Research Freelance Portal has opportunities for all types of professionals. Check on our site to Download all freelance vacancies to learn more.

Work with top companies

Businesses love hiring freelancers on Project and Research Freelance Portal, both for quick projects and longer term contracts. Each year our freelancers will earn massively in our online workplace.

Work on projects you love

Receive freelance jobs from PRN(Project and Research Nigeria) Contact center, Pick and choose freelance jobs. Control where you work, who you work with, and what projects you take on. It’s freedom that’s personally and professionally rewarding.

We streamline the paperwork

When you work by the hour, Project and Research Freelance Portal helps you track your time and bill your client for you weekly. When you work by the project, you’re paid as milestones are met and approved by your client.

How do I get started?

All you need to get started is a computer, Internet connection and amazing skills. Your next step is applying to be one of our experts by filling our application form online and sending addition documents as requested with:

Introduction, resume, and personal marketing brochure rolled into one, highlighting you’re:

-Professional skills, experience, and portfolio

-Education and accomplishments

-Project and Research Freelance Portal skills test results

-The best profiles are complete, well-written, error-free, and feature a professional, friendly looking picture.

We have over 100 categories for Academic and business alike

Go over to http://jobs.projectandresearchng.com/howtoapply/ and apply now!

Re: My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! by babs01(m): 4:58pm On May 10, 2016
Job scam everywhere, in short I'm afraid to apply for any job again cos no real job
Re: My Experience With Some Freelance Job 'employers' Here. Beware! by zinosleek(m): 11:28pm On May 10, 2016
Sorry for your bad experience. Well I have been writing for 2 client now, I enjoy d work and they pay regularly even thou its not that big. One didn't pay for sometime but he explained to me and later paid. So they are some sincere ones at there. In fact me n one of my client communicate thru mails only.

(1) (Reply)

Ipnx Nigeria Limited Job Recruitment (10 Positions) / Personal Assistant Needed. Good Pay And Not Stressful. / Urgent Vacancy In Atan. Ota

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.