Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,626 members, 7,820,212 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:32 AM

My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard (3323 Views)

Pls Help! My 2006 Corolla Jerks As I Accelerate To A Higer Gear / My Toyota Corolla Drags Intermittently Whenever I Accelerate / Help My Car Doesn't Accelerate Normally (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 9:26am On Jan 07, 2015
I noticed wen I travelled on d highway to and fro for d xmas dt my car tries to lose balance as in sharp left n right swing before it moves lik a rocket. Now this happens wen I slow down and almost stop for one reason or d other n wants to take off more quickly wen d road clears n I step on d gas pedal hard. Wen dt happens and I quickly free d gas pedal it flows fine. Nows this happens for abt four or five times for a distance of abt 450km.

Pls do u think something could b wrong or I shld jst take it easy with my small automatic 1.6l I4 engine dt can barely give abt 115hp angry am i asking this engine to give wat it doesn't ve

I jst discovered I ll love a car with serious quick acceleration after slowing down in highway for travelling. I nw see y men like ikenna351, siena n co use V6 engine with enough horsepower for travelling.

My auto 4afe engine toyota carina E take abt 30sec to 1min to hit top speed and wen it does na rocket biko pukwa na uzo lol

Sorry for a bit of digression d issue here is dt my car tries to lose balance wen I press gas pedal hard after slowing down on highway for quick acceleration. Pls wats wrong
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 6:49pm On Jan 07, 2015
Someone shld respond to this biko nu angry
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jan 07, 2015
I'm sorry I don't understand your post.
How does it lose balance? Do you mean the car is hesitating or swerving?
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by chukel(m): 8:14pm On Jan 07, 2015
Check ur engine mounts.
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 8:24pm On Jan 07, 2015
0rex:
I'm sorry I don't understand your post.
How does it lose balance? Do you mean the car is hesitating or swerving?

It acts as if I momentarily lost my steering control of d car with a fast left n right movement which normalizes in seconds n this is heavily associated with pressin d gas pedal hard for quick acceleration after slowin down or stoppin n it occurs very sparingly on highway. I ve driven it in city for over 4months n neva noticed dt
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jan 07, 2015
ogawisdom:

It acts as if I momentarily lost my steering control of d car with a fast left n right movement which normalizes in seconds...

You seem to be experiencing something called 'Torque steering'.

It is commonly caused either by the use wrong or bad tyre(s), wrong driveshaft pairing, bad bearing, bad engine mounts or faulty suspension system.

Check that you are using the recommended tyre size on all wheels.
Check that your drive shafts are of equal length & diameter.
Check your wheel bearings, engine mounts and suspension components.
Replace erring part(s).

REMEMBER to avoid rapid acceleration & excessive speed until you identify & resolve the problem.

3 Likes

Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 6:39am On Jan 08, 2015
0rex:

You seem to be experiencing something called 'Torque steering'.

It is commonly caused either by the use wrong or bad tyre(s), wrong driveshaft pairing, bad bearing, bad engine mounts or faulty suspension system.

Check that you are using the recommended tyre size on all wheels.
Check that your drive shafts are of equal length & diameter.
Check your wheel bearings, engine mounts and suspension components.
Replace erring part(s).

REMEMBER to avoid rapid acceleration & excessive speed until you identify & resolve the problem.

Thanks bro I will take it my mechanic to check all d components of my suspension system. I dnt over speed I keep it bw 80 to 100km/h. Yes my tire size is abit larger than factory spec but my tires are first grade toks bought last sept.

I ll check up d suspension components n see hw dt goes

1 Like

Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:49am On Jan 08, 2015
Ogawisdom hope your left foot is not on the brakes while accelerating? tongue

Meanwhile did you modify your strauts? As in raise the height of your car? If you did you it is your culprit. Its also posible you did the christmas travell thing and overloaded the rear (booth) once you do that the car becomes unbalanced when you take off. Now that its empty try it again.
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 10:43am On Jan 08, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Ogawisdom hope your left foot is not on the brakes while accelerating? tongue

Meanwhile did you modify your strauts? As in raise the height of your car? If you did you it is your culprit. Its also posible you did the christmas travell thing and overloaded the rear (booth) once you do that the car becomes unbalanced when you take off. Now that its empty try it again.

@ Gazzuzz

No my left foot is nt on brake while accelerating wink abeg no carry me dey play ooo lol ejikwana mu egwuegwu ooo

I can't even tell whether d car ws raised or nt bc it is first grade naija used grin but certainly d tire n wheel size were increased slightly frm factory spec.

Thanks for dropping by bro, let me observe d car more even though this happens only in highway. Meanwhile I ll ask my mechanic to check my suspension system
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by adewaleh(m): 11:44am On Jan 08, 2015
check your tires. one or two of them are not okay
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 3:21pm On Jan 08, 2015
adewaleh:
check your tires. one or two of them are not okay

I changed all four tires with first grade toks tires in sept, did alignment but didn't do balancing sha. So am sure my tires shld b ok.
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by icemann(m): 8:06pm On Jan 08, 2015
Likely your control arm.
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by jimmayoy: 8:32pm On Jan 08, 2015
Change your lower arms bushings,what happens is when you accelerate the car takes you to the right and left but by holding tight to your steering it normalizes only to happen again when you match the break.
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jan 08, 2015
ogawisdom:

I changed all four tires with first grade toks tires in sept, did alignment but didn't do balancing sha. So am sure my tires shld b ok.

Explain the bolded.
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 6:15am On Jan 09, 2015
lomomike:

Explain the bolded.
cool
tongue
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 8:12am On Jan 09, 2015
Fac recommended tire is 185 65 r14 but I use 195 65 r15 I kw d difference is very minimal cool
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by senator2k9(m): 8:16am On Jan 09, 2015
Bro, check ur stabilizer linkages and wat mechanics call CAMBERS ! Simple
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by uboma(m): 9:28am On Jan 09, 2015
lomomike:

Explain the bolded.

lol. Nigerians and tokumbo (a.k.a. used items). why risk one's live with used tires?
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Denn(m): 7:35pm On Jan 09, 2015
ogawisdom:

There is nothing like first grade tokunbo tyre... A used tyre is a used tyre....

Try rotating the tyres.... All front to the back and at opposite sides.

I suspect misalignment.

What is the vehicle make
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by uwemjack(m): 9:59am On Jan 10, 2015
ogawisdom:

first grade tokunbo is expired tire, so your tires is not ok!
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 10:20am On Jan 10, 2015
uwemjack:

first grade tokunbo is expired tire, so your tires is not ok!

Ur r wrong bc d date of manufacture says they r nt expired. Tires expire after abt 4 to 6yrs other things being equal but mine neva reach n it is in top shape.

Wat some of u dnt kw is dt some toks tires r beta than brand new dt ve expired on d shelf lipsrsealed
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Denn(m): 10:58am On Jan 10, 2015
ogawisdom:

Ur r wrong bc d date of manufacture says they r nt expired. Tires expire after abt 4 to 6yrs other things being equal but mine neva reach n it is in top shape.

Wat some of u dnt kw is dt some toks tires r beta than brand new dt ve expired on d shelf lipsrsealed

Attach a full picture of one of the tyres. Sidewall
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 11:33am On Jan 10, 2015
Denn:

Attach a full picture of one of the tyres. Sidewall

K
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by noel76(m): 7:09pm On Jan 11, 2015
ogawisdom:

Agreed compare a tyre dat was manufactured in last 25 weeks of 2013, and of america or. Europe standard with a brand new 1 from china with low quality like d 1 u will c in our tyre shops. I ve bought brand new tyres b4 and within a space of 6 weeks it went bad by been bent. So its not all. Tokunbo. Tyres dat re bad. I use tokunbo tyres too bt any tin more than 3 years from d date of production count me out.
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 7:20pm On Jan 11, 2015
noel76:

Agreed compare a tyre dat was manufactured in last 25 weeks of 2013, and of america or. Europe standard with a brand new 1 from china with low quality like d 1 u will c in our tyre shops. I ve bought brand new tyres b4 and within a space of 6 weeks it went bad by been bent. So its not all. Tokunbo. Tyres dat re bad. I use tokunbo tyres too bt any tin more than 3 years from d date of production count me out.

Exactly some ppl dt criticize toks tires dnt even kw dt a brand new tire can b an expired tire. A toks tire dt is 2yrs frm d date of manufacture could b beta than a brand new tire unused n improperly stored for d last 4yrs of manufacture
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Denn(m): 8:38pm On Jan 11, 2015
ogawisdom:

Exactly some ppl dt criticize toks tires dnt even kw dt a brand new tire can b an expired tire. A toks tire dt is 2yrs frm d date of manufacture could b beta than a brand new tire unused n improperly stored for d last 4yrs of manufacture
You have not posted the picture.

You started this thread seeking inputs and not to evangelize on why used is better than new.

Try to post a vivid picture of one of the tyres showing all imprints.

Thanks
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by ogawisdom(m): 9:05pm On Jan 11, 2015
Denn:
You have not posted the picture.

You started this thread seeking inputs and not to evangelize on why used is better than new.

Try to post a vivid picture of one of the tyres showing all imprints.

Thanks

K
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by senator2k9(m): 1:12pm On Jan 12, 2015
ogawisdom:

K
bro ur problem is ur CAMbERS, (control arm) the bushings have gone bad
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 12, 2015
Lol.. Seems u are expecting same results as with sb that drives a new Range.
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Coldplay007(f): 8:58pm On Jan 12, 2015
ogawisdom:

grin
You are speeding with Tokunbo tyres you didn't do the wheel balancing..
Go and do the wheel balancing and alignment again..
Check your tyres While doing the balancing..
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by Nobody: 10:50pm On Jan 12, 2015
senator2k9:
bro ur problem is ur CAMbERS, (control arm) the bushings have gone bad
Has similar problem, my mechanic zeros into the camber and brake pad. whereby he replaced the back tire the driver side, and the front wheel tire the passenger side. And it became okay
Re: My Car Tries To Lose Balance Wen I Accelerate Hard by hentech911: 8:03am On Jan 15, 2015
u dont need much of explanation, just check and change your lower arms bushings, i experienced same the with my car. i changed the lower arm bushe and that was all.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Car Remote Drains Battery Fast. / Pls Help!!!!.....toyota Camry 08/10 VS Lexus Es350 07/08 / Sienna, Jenju: What Is The Best Oil For My Suv?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.