Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:57 AM

Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) (7473 Views)

Buhari Conferred With Equatorial Guinea's Highest National Honour / Senate Rejects National Conference / Femi Gbajabiamila Rejects National Honour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by sholasys: 9:00am On Dec 16, 2008
I read through this story and i was touched by the travail this Man have passed through in is life in the hand of Nigeria  Gov.
I concluded that the honour worth rejecting base on the 8 items listed on the page except the case of Ribadu. I think Ribadu is reaping what he sow.
He flaw the law. disobey court oder etc. Ribadu does not worth fighting for. Good he achieved, no doubt about that. Guys in the house please throw in your comments or opinions and suggestions. Lets get the ball rolling.

Gani: At the weekend, notably on Friday, December 12, 2008 it was published in most of the newspapers in Nigeria that the Federal Government of Nigeria has honoured me with the Officer of the Order of the Federal Republic (OFR).

I have had time after the publication to think deeply whether to accept or reject the honour.

I thank the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar‘ Adua. I thank the Federal Government of Nigeria and I am very grateful to the Council of State which approved the honour of OFR given to me by the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

I wish to express my gratitude to numerous Nigerians who by telephone calls, mobile text messages and some by personal visits congratulated me on the award of OFR.

This is the first government in Nigeria to honour me with the national award. Obviously this government must have considered my activities in the last 43 years before deciding to give the national award of OFR. From my own standpoint and perception, my struggles and crusades include: (1) The abolition of poverty from the face of our country; (2) The unqualified need to preserve, defend and protect the fundamental human rights; (3) The governance of our country through democratic processes; (4) The subjection of everybody and everything to and under the Rule of Law; (5) The right of the people to free and qualitative education at all Levels; (6) The right of the people to free and qualitative health services and facilities; (7) The strengthening of our economy through sound development of infrastructure including power generation (electricity), good roads, good and modern rail-system across the length and breadth of Nigeria, good water way transportation system; (cool The overall duties of all Nigerians and governments (local, states and federal) to make Nigeria a corruption-free country by fighting corruption with all our might and main.

In the course of my struggles over the decades for the above ideals, I have been subjected by various governments to all traumatic travails and persecutions including: (a) Series of detentions in several prisons across Nigeria, notably Ikoyi Prison (three times), Kaduna Prison, Gombe Prison, Gasua Prison, Kuje Prison (two times), Bauchi Prison, etc, etc; (b) Twenty three police detentions between 1969 and 1998 at Police Headquarters, Kaduna, Jos Police Station, Ilorin Police Station, Police Headquarters. Lagos, C.I.D., Alagbon, Lagos,‘ Inter-Centre Detention Outpost, Lagos, Ikoyi Police Station, Panti Police Station, Lagos, Police Station, Wuse, Abuja, Police Station, Ikeja, Police Headquarters, Abuja, etc.; (c) ‘Arrested 32 times between 1969 and 1998 which led to the series of detentions and trials; (d) My chambers (Gani Fawehinmi Chambers) at Anthony Village, Lagos was, attacked- by security men under, various governments 16 times, culminating in the attack on Friday, August 26, 1994 when security men under Gen. Sani Abacha regime at 4am turned my Chambers into a pool of blood; (e) Thousands of copies of my books, notably on the murder of Dele Giwa, were forcibly removed and seized by security agents under Gen. Ibrahim Babangida regime and despite court orders to return my books, the military government at that time refused to obey the court orders; (f) My international passport was seized more than 15 times between 1966 and 1998; (g) I was charged to court 18 times for politically-motivated criminal offences including treason and I was jailed once and became prisoner J60 before my imprisonment was terminated by the Court of Appeal.

Today, I am 70 years and eight months old and I am struck down by lung cancer for which I have been receiving medical treatment outside my country because my country – Nigeria – has one of the poorest medical services in the world but one of the richest countries in the world in terms of oil revenue.

My decision to either accept or reject the national honour of the award of OFR will depend on how far the Nigerian nation through Nigerian governments tried to achieve any of the aforementioned eight goals.

Corruption is one single, fundamental factor that has retarded the progress of the nation and its social-economic development.

It is generally agreed, nationally and internationally, that Mallam Nuhu Ribadu did a lot to retard the inhibitive progress of corruption. 419 crimes were on the decline. Gross misuse of public funds by public officers was on the downward trend. Looting at the top became minimised. As Nigerians were breathing a sigh of relief, the government of AIhaji Umaru Yar‘ Adua threw Mallam Nuhu Ribadu out of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission. The removal of Nuhu Ribadu as EFCC Chairman happened at a time Nigerians were saying ‘the fear of EFCC is the beginning of wisdom’ as far as corruption was concerned.

I went to court to challenge Ribadu‘s illegal removal from the EFCC. I thought Yar‘Adua‘s government would allow the court to do its work. But alas, Ribadu was sent to National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, for a one-year course. While undergoing the one-year course in Kuru, on August 5, 2008, the Federal Government of Nigeria presided over by President Yar‘ Adua demoted Ribadu from the rank of Assistant Inspector-General of Police to Deputy Commissioner of Police.

Mallam Ribadu rightly approached a court of law by instituting an action to challenge the obnoxious demotion. Whilst the suit was pending, security agents physically removed him from the ceremony on November 22, 2008 where he was to be awarded his certificate for success at the NIPSS, Kuru.

Today, the architect of the unprecedented anti-corruption war, unprecedented in the annals of Nigeria since 1914, is now literally roaming the streets of Nigeria without official car, without official status, without any form of security, and yet he is still being subjected to hounding, haunting and all forms of dehumanising vilification by the Federal Government.

His only ‘offence’ is that he used the instrumentality of a public institution, the EFCC to investigate, arrest, charge, and in some cases, to convict through the law courts some public officers in various corridors of power throughout the length and breadth of Nigeria people who were otherwise called the untouchables.

By the performance of his duties, Nigeria and Nigerians gained in integrity, honour and recovery of their looted wealth. But Ribadu did not make any personal gain. He only waged a war against corruption, graft, stealing, money laundering, etc, etc, in the corridors of power. In return, the regime of President Yar‘ Adua decided to wage unrelenting war against anti-graft war.”

Instead of the Federal Government to publicly acknowledge the unprecedented good Ribadu has done to the psyche of Nigerians by awarding him the greatest national honour, the government has decided to continuously persecute this young man. It was therefore the greatest embarrassment for me, when at the weekend, it was announced that I was one of those 275 Nigerians honoured with national honours and in my case the OFR.

Yes, I have done my best for this country in various fields and I still want to continue to do my best. But we live in a situation where the 1999 Constitution provides in Section 15(5) that: ”The State shall abolish all corrupt practices‘ and abuse of power” and a young man emerged to do what the Constitution enjoins and he is being persecuted for carrying out the provisions of the Constitution. Yet, the President swore to observe, preserve and defend the same Constitution. I find it extremely difficult to accept that President Yar‘ Adua‘s government has the honour to dispense honour.

In the light of the above, I cannot accept the ‘honour’ of OFR. Whether now or in the life beyond. How can I wake up in the morning and look at the insignia of honour bestowed on me under a government that persecutes anti-corruption effort, particularly those of Nuhu Ribadu?

At the time the Nigerian Bar Association wrote the letter to my office that my name would be forwarded for national honour while I was in London receiving medical treatment for lung cancer, the government of President Yar‘ Adua had not begun in earnest the war against anti-corruption war and the harrowing persecution of Nuhu Ribadu had not reached its crescendo. I do not blame the NBA for sending my name at the time it did for national honour,

However, events from August 2008 to this day are so bizarre, unbelievably barbaric in their intensity, in terms of persecuting those fighting against corruption and the singling out of Ribadu for persecution, all for giving honour and dignity to this country and for recovering for our treasury, billions of naira and other forms of wealth looted by public officers.

A government that covertly and overtly encourages corruption has no honour in its arsenal of power to dispense honour. Consequently, I reject the dishonour of OFR termed ‘honour‘ given to me by the Federal Government. ‘

The Plight of the masses of our people

Nobody can dispute the fact that since this regime came to power the plight of the masses has worsened as I have shown in items 1 - 7 above. But I wish to reiterate that in all the ramifications of human existence, the masses have found themselves in the doldrum of pain occasioned by gross misgovernance of the country.

Furthermore, since the President came to power on May 29, 2007, the masses of our country have been groaning in unprecedented poverty as a result of lack of direction, The directionlessness of the Federal Government has been characterised by the following, amongst others: collapsed infrastructure, total paralysis of the health sector at all levels, constant nationwide power failure and the attendant negative effects on all sectors of the economy; pervasive unemployment, thereby generating increased armed robbery cutting across all ages of our people; debilitating homelessness, retrogressive educational programmes and policies, which have made no Nigerian university to be ranked within the first 500 universities in the world, and no effort is being made by the regime to improve on the humiliating situation.

Put simply, the Federal Government is a total failure, worsened by lack of direction and leadership. Is this the atmosphere for the award of national honours? Certainly Not!

In addition to my rejection of the honour of the OFR on the grounds of Federal Government‘s conscious war against anti-corruption war, the decadent socio- economic situation does not engender the well being of ordinary people and there is no hope in sight.

In view of the foregoing, I reject the award of OFR.

See story  http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20081216231962
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Naijex: 9:24am On Dec 16, 2008
Go Gani

Senior Advocate of the Masses.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by ojimboIV: 9:34am On Dec 16, 2008
this is the height of true patriotism. YA can dole out honours to whomever, but to what national good? i think it's time our leaders dwelt more on the collective good than on personal gains.

YA watch and learn!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by azorjiu(m): 10:09am On Dec 16, 2008
sholasys:

I read through this story and i was touched by the travail this Man have passed through in is life in the hand of Nigeria Gov.
I concluded that the honour worth rejecting base on the 8 items listed on the page except the case of Ribadu. I think Ribadu is reaping what he sow.
He flaw the law. disobey court oder etc. Ribadu does not worth fighting for. Good he achieved, no doubt about that. Guys in the house please throw in your comments or opinions and suggestions. Lets get the ball rolling
see story http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20081216231962

@ poster,

The reason he is refusing the useless honour is chiefly because of the unholy battle of the FG against a man who put his life on the line to fight corruption.
How then can you agree with other items except the crux of the argument?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Nobody: 10:45am On Dec 16, 2008
azorji

somepeople on nairaland are kids
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by sholasys: 12:39pm On Dec 16, 2008
azorji,

If you read the story very well you will know that all those eight point item are fundamental and are what we need as a developing country and a true democratical nation. One can reject any honour on the bases of lack of those 8 points. I dnt think is proper to reject a well deserve honour just bc of one person over-do. Moreover Ribadu does not beleive in the rule of law, disregard court orders, infringe on human rights anyhow. Infact the little he achieved was base on "eye -services", "sycophancy" " I please my master (OBJ)" , witchunting opposition. Me, i want to believe he rejected the honour bc of Bad Gov., corruption, lack of good road, health etc and not bc Ribadu is been hawked
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Nobody: 1:35pm On Dec 16, 2008
who and who be opposition
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by azorjiu(m): 1:44pm On Dec 16, 2008
sholasys:

azorji,

If you read the story very well you will know that all those eight point item are fundamental and are what we need as a developing country and a true democratical nation. One can reject any honour on the bases of lack of those 8 points. I dnt think is proper to reject a well deserve honour just bc of one person over-do. Moreover Ribadu does not beleive in the rule of law, disregard court orders, infringe on human rights anyhow. Infact the little he achieved was base on "eye -services", "sycophancy" " I please my master (OBJ)" , witchunting opposition. Me, i want to believe he rejected the honour bc of Bad Gov., corruption, lack of good road, health etc and not bc Ribadu is been hawked

You are right.

All the issues are fundamental, but his immediate  reason for refusing the national 'this-honour' was because a government which should be fighting corruption with all available weapons is instead fighting a man who staked his life to fight corruption.

your source reads:

In the light of the above, I cannot accept the ‘honour’ of OFR. Whether now or in the life beyond. How can I wake up in the morning and look at the insignia of honour bestowed on me under a government that persecutes anti-corruption effort, particularly those of Nuhu Ribadu?

At the time the Nigerian Bar Association wrote the letter to my office that my name would be forwarded for national honour while I was in London receiving medical treatment for lung cancer, the government of President Yar‘ Adua had not begun in earnest the war against anti-corruption war and the harrowing persecution of Nuhu Ribadu had not reached its crescendo. I do not blame the NBA for sending my name at the time it did for national honour,

However, events from August 2008 to this day are so bizarre, unbelievably barbaric in their intensity, in terms of persecuting those fighting against corruption and the singling out of Ribadu for persecution, all for giving honour and dignity to this country and for recovering for our treasury, billions of naira and other forms of wealth looted by public officers.

[size=15pt]A government that covertly and overtly encourages corruption has no honour in its arsenal of power to dispense honour. Consequently, I reject the dishonour of OFR termed ‘honour‘ given to me by the Federal Government[/size]. ‘

Apparently, he would have accepted the 'honour' if we had an honest government in the centre.

We can give 1000 reasons why nigeria is not working, but what is central is corruption.
How can we then tackle other problems when we abhor the fight against corruption?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by jaso1(m): 1:55pm On Dec 16, 2008
@Sholasys
I will reply this your comment here on two facts:
1. Nigeria is been dominated by impunity influential
2. Their is increased in level of immoral capital sense by average of our people.
If you now take the above facts into cognizant you will understand why judiciary needed to be wave as it is in Ribadu case, the presidential verdict will also bruch you up over Ribadu action regarded to your above communique.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by inquisitiv: 2:19pm On Dec 16, 2008
at least, i can still boldly say that there are still REAL MEN in my country! Gani will forever have his name etched in gold, Ribadu will follow suit in having their good names written in gold. GOD bless these men.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Folanre(m): 3:16pm On Dec 16, 2008
Bravo to you-Chief Gani Fawehinmi-the indefatiguable Senior Advocate of the Masses.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by blesdman(m): 5:55pm On Dec 16, 2008
This man is a don of the FR of Nigeria. With all the persecutions received so far in the course of patriotism, His remarks are humbling for me. Particularly his comment:the president lacks the honour to dispense honour.
I almost wept iin the course of reading his points-logical,truthful and stirring. I have always felt sorry for the manner Ribadu has suffered persecution just after he left the office. It actually means that one will not be protected for doing the right thing in his office. It is so appalling. I feel sorry for Ribadu. However, for SAN Gani, I thank God that I have the privilege of seeing this sort of men in this country of ours which has been beclouded by corruption.
It shall be well!!!!!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Ezenwenyi(m): 6:09pm On Dec 16, 2008
Gani is indeed the voice of the silent majority.He is indeed our hero.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by yam: 6:21pm On Dec 16, 2008
I think his decisions are worthy but i get bored about people that think the former chairman of EFCC deserves what he is going through.this people for this reason are hyprocritical to Chief Gani principle and ideas.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by sherrylo: 6:31pm On Dec 16, 2008
Gani will always be a man in the face of corruption,he has weathered many storms and God almighty in his infinite mercy grant him good health and preserve him for voiceless Nigerian people.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by mustafar1: 6:50pm On Dec 16, 2008
accepting it would mean he would have to speak with 2 mouths. i wouldnt accept such either if the govt presenting me such on behalf of nigerians and nigera is as mushed up as that which we have.

people that complain the Ribadu did this and dat and should be made to pay. i ask them to take into consideration what transpired that prompted him to take those actions.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Chidoski(m): 6:54pm On Dec 16, 2008
Gani has always chosen the masses,God will keep him for us.That the president is disillusioned is not a strange news again.His policies are so incoherent and inconsistent.I don't blame him, he is not in charge.But to our corrupt leaders,past and present,they shall meet with justice some day.God will raise another Ribadu for us.GOD BLESS ALL PATRIOTIC NIGERIANS.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by odedele: 7:04pm On Dec 16, 2008
nigerians are crying 4 food not honour.tanx GANI 4 Speaking 4 d masses
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by tharma(f): 8:03pm On Dec 16, 2008
Nigerians are obsessed with titles, honors, award,
Im happy this guy is just not a regular Nigerian.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by blacksta(m): 8:36pm On Dec 16, 2008
I pray in the Name of Jesus that Gani will recover from this lung cancer and will live to see a better Nigeria
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Pataki: 8:39pm On Dec 16, 2008
Rather than bag a National Honour, he would rather be satisfied with the Masses Honour.

Even in his ill-health, he is still a fighter! True honesty of heart.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by MrCrackles(m): 8:41pm On Dec 16, 2008
Bravo Fawehinmi!

The kind award wey Nigeria Government dey dash nowadays, na AKARA
!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by tunjidina(m): 8:44pm On Dec 16, 2008
I always believe nairaland occupants are knowledgeable, corrupt-free, visionary and Ghandi of the future, but now i have a different view. I can't believe and understand how the initiator of this discussion and others will deliberately and totally cruxify Gani for refusing National Honour base on the fact that Nuru Ribadu was maltreated. Can't we sit down and think?

All those other things mentioned are necessary but can they come to fruition without any body in the forefront fighting against curruption? The young man was brutally treated and you people are saying all sorts of jaggons. Many of us are dreamers, please let get seated and do something very useful with our time instead instead of contributing more to the country downfall. Consider if you are in the same shoe fighting for your well-beloved nation (even if for a reason, either personal or otherwise)?

Please better and more enlightened discussion next time. Thank you.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by chimolaski: 9:17pm On Dec 16, 2008
i wish to state here dat we as individuals must have moderation to everytin.my point here is dat rejection of d national honour(ofr) award by chief gani,is not good.it must b noted dat its a slap to our president and nigerians atlarge.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by asha80(m): 9:33pm On Dec 16, 2008
i wish to state here that we as individuals must have moderation to everytin.my point here is that rejection of d national honour(ofr) award by chief gani,is not good.it must b noted that its a slap to our president and nigerians atlarge

You dey yarn rubbish.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by RibaduFan(m): 9:48pm On Dec 16, 2008
i wish to state here that we as individuals must have moderation to everytin.my point here is that rejection of d national honour(ofr) award by chief gani,is not good.it must b noted that its a slap to our president and nigerians atlarge.

Perhaps they need more slaps to wake them up from their slumbers
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by gabychuks(m): 10:18pm On Dec 16, 2008
we should be grateful to God for giving us people like Gani. Could we have imagened what this country of our would have been without him against all those military tyrants?

naira landers should try to emulate him. Ribadu did his best based on the circumstance he had to work in, would he have succeded if he had peddled softly?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Bishop(m): 10:33pm On Dec 16, 2008
Chief Gani Fawehinmi obviously has forgotten that a sick man leading a sick nation will amount to naught.I want to say without fear of favour that the president sickeness is deeply eating into his brains and as such is not fit to lead this country in the capacity of the president of the federal republic of Nigeria.I therefore enjion all well meaning and corrupt free minded nigerians to seek for his resignation from office.

The PDP party in its entirety does not wish this country well,they are all a bunch of criminals with the sole objective of gangrapping this country at gun point.

Enough is a enough,Imagine accepting honour from the friend to a thief !!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by mustafar1: 10:44pm On Dec 16, 2008
Chief Gani Fawehinmi obviously has forgotten that a sick man leading a sick nation will amount to naught.I want to say without fear of favour that the president sickeness is deeply eating into his brains and as such is not fit to lead this country in the capacity of the president of the federal republic of Nigeria.[color=#990000]I therefore enjion all well meaning and corrupt free minded nigerians to seek for his resignation from office.[/color]
The PDP party in its entirety does not wish this country well,they are all a bunch of criminals with the sole objective of gangrapping this country at gun point.

Enough is a enough,Imagine accepting honour from the friend to a thief !!
who would replace him if he resigns? his vice? or would we appoint a caretaker? or maibe skip his vice and appoint the senate president.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by bettes(f): 11:01pm On Dec 16, 2008
To call honorable for rejecting the honour given to him,will be hyprotical,i personally think he did it for publicity,attention and controversy he knew it would cause.
Gani was one of the loudest critics of the EFCC when it was headed by Ribadu,he called them OBJ's person thugs,he criticised Ribadu's undeserved promotion,also criticised him when some governors were arrested and released on bail just to never hear EFCC open their cases.He rightly criticised EFCC's selective justice.

Does the fact that the govt turned against Ribadu suddenly made him less corrupt?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Muza(m): 11:26pm On Dec 16, 2008
bettes:

To call honorable for rejecting the honour given to him,will be hyprotical,i personally think he did it for publicity,attention and controversy he knew it would cause.
Gani was one of the loudest critics of the EFCC when it was headed by Ribadu,he called them OBJ's person thugs,he criticised Ribadu's undeserved promotion,also criticised him when some governors were arrested and released on bail just to never hear EFCC open their cases.He rightly criticised EFCC's selective justice.

Does the fact that the govt turned against Ribadu suddenly made him less corrupt?

This is very true o,
but u know Nigerians too forgetfull. grin
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 16, 2008
bettes:

i think you are missing Gani's point here. Two wrongs dont make a right . . . so because Gani criticised Ribadu and his EFCC he has no moral right to criticise government's violation of Ribadu's right to freedom of liberty?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Us Probes Two Nigerian Pastors / Aregbesola Prohibits Chieftaincy Titles For Osun Officials / Amaechi Or Jang: Whom Would You Have Voted For?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.