Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,745 members, 7,827,752 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:20 PM

Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) (7484 Views)

Buhari Conferred With Equatorial Guinea's Highest National Honour / Senate Rejects National Conference / Femi Gbajabiamila Rejects National Honour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by tripod(m): 4:55pm On Dec 17, 2008
Well, whatever the case Gani is an individual and he has the right to his opinion. He may have criticised Ribadu based on the prevailing circumstances. But that does not mean Ribadu worked in futility. Ribadu threaded paths most Nigerians dread.
Lets asume Ribadu's attempt at fighting curruption was selective justice. That does not make the people he hunted innocent.

For me Gani has a point afterall.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by jaso1(m): 4:55pm On Dec 17, 2008
GUYS,
People seem to be dump and def in there supportive reaction to inhuman act of some of our leaders when measures the level of there abuse of office.
Ribadu will everly remain villiant irrespective of evil mind dominant. that guys had substantially change corrupts mind even via the selective as foolishly construed by some novis. with people trivial reasoning those that were arrested during his period do they not commit the allegation level against them? or you think ribadu can strive without hygienic strategy he used to arrest those that have been stupidly tag lord of impunity by some selfish citizens?
Kudos to Gani (SAM) kudos to Ribadu despite some evil minds with there stolen wealth, the two icons  represent   great for Nigeria and they will life long to see the end of all the enemy of this nation, those that deliberately afflicted poverty for devilish control of our people.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by software(m): 6:16pm On Dec 17, 2008
I pray for more people like this for this country. those are whom we need to relly change this country, Yet some men of God are stil busy celebrating the award bestowed on them. yet the country is still in a big mess,
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by gentlegg(m): 6:23pm On Dec 17, 2008
Gani has always been my most admired and most respected personality in this unfortunate country with unfortunate citizens. Am 101% in support of his 8 cardinal points of refusal. I wish him speed recovery from his lung cancer. More years in advance bravo.

@Anti-Ribadu's
Though Ribadu was selective with his war against corruption. But this alone should not make us write-off that guy.  Ribadu
brought a lot of socio-economic sanity in this unfortunate part of the world.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by ibedun: 6:27pm On Dec 17, 2008
god bless Gani, god bless Fela and God bless Ribadu. But exactly when are the nigerian suffering masses going to stand up and fight for their rights? When exactly? As usual we are waiting for a messiah to come and do that which we can do for ourselves. If you ask me the Nigerian people deserve their plight. As they say you earn your place in life. The quietness, the silence and acceptance by the Nigerian people is what you call duplicity in crime. The Nigerian people are just as responsible for their own nightmare as those looters. For a long time we say damn the oppressors but I think its time to say damn the oppressed - for if an oppressed man confronts his situation with silence and acceptance he is absolutely complicit and a willing partner in the crime against him. Our people are still waiting for Jesus, Allah, oyinbo, NGO, the UN, the brother and sister abroad, ifa, orunmila and so on. A serious, sustained revolt by the people will alter our situation almost instantly. God Bless Gani and others but I dont know about the Nigerian people.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by software(m): 6:50pm On Dec 17, 2008
what do you guys think about those ministers of God who are still very very very very busy celebrating the honour bestowed on them, is it like they dont know the present condition of the country?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by ohaechesi(m): 7:57pm On Dec 17, 2008
We need people like Chief Gani Fawehinmi, to move Nigeria forward. I know that there must be critics to his action by some worthless and bunch of daft out there. But the truth is that he has proved him self as a human right activist and as well a senior advocate to the "Masses". May the good lord see us through.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by ObiTen1(m): 9:08am On Dec 18, 2008
Why do the questions even need to be asked, This is Nigeria, there was no other way Ribadu could have operated, the fact that people were exposed and indicted at all is a bloody miracle. I think all forward thinking Nigerians were glad to see that, regardless of whether it was OBJ witch-hunting or his political terrorism machine. Ribadu did the country a service, whether he knew it or not, He was only very naive to think that there would be no consequences, which is a sad thing for this country.
We are being told more or less that anyone who exposes and punishes thieves and criminals in government will be severely dealt with. So there can NEVER be progress, NEVER, things will only get worse as more and more of the moderate political criminals will give up or become full time looters,
I weep for my country,
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by deola007: 9:48am On Dec 18, 2008
Having studied history of some nations and how they tackled corruption. we do not tackle corruption in a "nice manner". it is either you tackle it or not.
Our rule of law, has released indicted governors, and we are no more hearing of the cases save for the minor officials being hounded.
Corruption is so engrained that only a ruthless leader using ruthless methods can handle it.
though I am not in support of hanging, some countries hang drug traffickers, this will deter anyone from thinking about doing drugs.

http://adeolakayode.com/2008/11/25/the-many-regrets-of-nuhu-ribadu/
Gani just proved his impartiality by supporting the cause of a man he once criticised.

@ Gani
I gbadun the man. most of us think he is doing oversabi, because in our minds, we subscribe to circumstances we cannot surmount or challenge.
He has paid too much of a price to chicken out now because of a merit award. He is one man we would not forget in the New Nigeria
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by landis(m): 10:32am On Dec 18, 2008
Gani is one man that stood TALL at all times.

A fraud-president cannot give honour.
Obi-Ten:

Why do the questions even need to be asked, This is Nigeria, there was no other way Ribadu could have operated, the fact that people were exposed and indicted at all is a bloody miracle. I think all forward thinking Nigerians were glad to see that, regardless of whether it was OBJ witch-hunting or his political terrorism machine. Ribadu did the country a service, whether he knew it or not, He was only very naive to think that there would be no consequences, which is a sad thing for this country.
We are being told more or less that anyone who exposes and punishes thieves and criminals in government will be severely dealt with. So there can NEVER be progress, NEVER, things will only get worse as more and more of the moderate political criminals will give up or become full time looters,
I weep for my country,

You got it wrong.

We are told if you want to fight corruption. It is must FAIR to all!!!

OBJ had N20,000 in 1999, and 2005 his farm was producing $350,000 every month.

what magic did he perform? why cant Ribadu tell us.

The moment Ribadu started selective/unfair fight against corruption; he dug his own grave.

It is either you fight corruption in totality or NOT at all.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by gentlegg(m): 11:15am On Dec 18, 2008
landis:

The moment Ribadu started selective/unfair fight against corruption; he dug his own grave.

It is either you fight corruption in totality or NOT at all.

Fighting against 15 out of 100 corrupt leaders is better than fighting against none.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by ucheris9: 11:29am On Dec 18, 2008
Chief GANI, (SAN) we the voiceless people of Nigeria is given you an award which God Has Approved for you long time B4 now, Thank you for standing out all this years for the masses that believed in your cause, God will heal you and add more years to your life.

What a shameful Honour to accept, Thank God you rejected outrightly, God bless you.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by otokx(m): 1:41pm On Dec 18, 2008
Very good
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by emiemi(f): 3:49pm On Dec 18, 2008
My mother once told me '' A GOOD NAME IS BETTER THAN RICHES".

Gani is an example of a man who cherish a good name. Much respect to you sir!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by sukieboy(f): 6:20pm On Dec 18, 2008
What use is it being honuored by a dishonourable nation? grin
emiemi:

My mother once told me '' A GOOD NAME IS BETTER THAN RICHES".

Gani is an example of a man who cherish a good name. Much respect to you sir!

Your mother will always be correct unlike the mother of Prof. Dora's children
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Marketiva: 9:00pm On Dec 18, 2008
That is what keeps him moving?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 18, 2008
Thank you Gani for giving me small hope once agian. I lost all hope in this foolish country after the declared rule of lawlessness on Ribadau. Thank Gani, you dont know what this means to me
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by tpia: 10:50pm On Dec 18, 2008
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by obiem(m): 9:16am On Dec 19, 2008
Treading the honourable path, rejecting their  useless national honour

Roll call

Chinua Achebe

Wole Soyinka

Gani Fawehinmi

who's next, it takes a lot of guts to do this u know
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by hollandis(f): 9:27am On Dec 19, 2008
obiem:

Treading the honourable path, rejecting their  useless national honour

Roll call

Chinua Achebe

Wole Soyinka

Gani Fawehinmi

who's next, it takes a lot of guts to do this u know

Point of correction.Soyinka sent representatives (his children ) to pick his own share of the national cake
He should be excluded from the list of the "men of honour" angry
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by BOSS7: 10:50am On Dec 19, 2008
With no disrespect to you "born-agains" out there,apparently, Pastor Adeboye was also awarded the so-called OFR honour and I don't remember reading that he rejected it. More so, what has he done to affect the general public that makes him deserve the award?

Last time I checked, churches are meant to be charity and why in this world should you be awarded for doing "God's work" ?

Hmmmmmm, Human Nature!!!
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by BOSS7: 10:56am On Dec 19, 2008
tpia:

its his prerogative to accept or refuse the honor. It doesnt add to or take away from him.

I read somewhere about someone who refused something similar, from the British Queen. can't recall his reason why.

That was Benjamin Sephaniah. A jamaican rastaferian who has always been writing about the freedom of blacks and he rejected the honour because it was called OBE (Order of the British Empire) and according to Benjamin, he hated the word Empire as it reminded him of the ages of slavery where his grandparents (as in blacks as a whole) were raped, tortured and killed) and that was what he was basically campaining for (reparation). So he found the queen disrespectful as that meant she must have not read his poets which are all based on the liberation of blacks.

I have one of his books called "Too Black Too Proud".
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Ohnow: 11:08am On Dec 19, 2008
Gani has gotten a far more greater award than the OFR S***. Even with his ill-health, he still stood for the truth and what he believes in. A True Hero he is. smiley
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by carmelily: 11:25am On Dec 19, 2008
sukieboy:

What use is it being honuored by a dishonourable nation? grin
Your mother will always be correct unlike the mother of Prof. Dora's children

Prof. Dora's children?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Ohnow: 11:42am On Dec 19, 2008
hollandis:

Point of correction.Soyinka sent representatives (his children ) to pick his own share of the national cake
He should be excluded from the list of the "men of honour" angry
B.O.S.S.:

With no disrespect to you "born-agains" out there,apparently, Pastor Adeboye was also awarded the so-called OFR honour and I don't remember reading that he rejected it. More so, what has he done to affect the general public that makes him deserve the award?

Last time I checked, churches are meant to be charity and why in this world should you be awarded for doing "God's work" ?

Hmmmmmm, Human Nature!!!

C'mon guys, lets not go there. So because Gani rejected his award, every other recipient is not a man or woman of integrity It is their prerogative whether or not to accept the award. Lets not judge too quickly. We appreciate, admire and respect Gani, likewise some of the other recipients. If Gani accepted the award, we will regard him a "man of honour", only that this time he dared to be different. 

Soyinka even after receiving the award criticised the Judiciary- http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20081219225789

Their integrity has nothing to do with whether or not they accepted the award.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by carmelily: 1:08pm On Dec 19, 2008
Ohnow:

If Gani accepted the award, we will regard him a "man of honour",

No. we'll regard him as a two-faced hypocrite.

Their integrity has nothing to do with whether or not they accepted the award.

It has everything to do with it. We would then see them as accomplices to corruption. Low integrity.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by delgado: 3:18pm On Dec 19, 2008
Personally i think some Nigerians have got to be high on some cheap joint and seriously need to change thier dealer for not being in support of what Gani is doing, in a country like ours i truly think change is seriously needed if anything positive is to happen in the future, right now the president is like capt. 'jack sparow';, sailing a ship full of innocent citizens without a compass, he is definetly getting us nowhere fast, and in our existence as Nigerians I challenge anybody to name one person that has done what Ribadu has done for this country in recent times, (yeah right:, nobady", i tought so too), call him selective in the execution of his duties but deep down you'll always know he put his life constantly on the line (a position millions of Nigerians would'nt want to find themselves in, ), and this is how the FG chooses to repay a true hero, sad, so sad, and even worse to think that people are on the side of the FG on this, truely sad,

GOD bless Gani, GOD bless Ribadu, GOD bless the Federal Rublic of Nigeria,
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by Ohnow: 3:40pm On Dec 19, 2008
@ Carmelily

I will say it again, if Gani had received the award like every other person did, he will still be regarded a "Man of Honour". The only reason we can slander the rest of them is because he rejected his award,which i have absolutely nothing against, and as matter of fact i love the bold step he took. But we should not go ahead to tag other receipients as men and women who lack integrity.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by moag(m): 3:43pm On Dec 19, 2008
People  like Chief  Gani  Fawehinmi are  rare in our  society,always saying the truth and facts no matter whose horse  is gored.Is the truth  not  said to be bitter?If indeed this country want  to attain greatness,the likes of chief Gani  have to surface  in our  leadership  positions.I see  the present  government  as pretender or what  can you say about  the  power probe  issue  (Obasanjo &co),fraud  in the proposed  budget for 2009.I do not  see any point  achieveable in  that  their so called vision  2020 , if this  type of government  continues.ON  CHIEF  GANI"S CASE ,many  have been  said and i will quickly add  this ,keep  it up  BABA  we  are proud  of you.
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by tpia: 4:04pm On Dec 19, 2008
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by wirinet(m): 4:26pm On Dec 19, 2008
I fully support Gani for for rejecting the national honour, although i do not share his view with regards to Ribadu. Ribadu involved himself in high wire politics, something akin to a civilian coup. (remember third term project and disqualification of OBJ's opponents while leaving the most corrupt ones untouched). Since his group lost out, he will definitely reap the punishments. If OBJ had suceeded, he would have been the next in command to OBJ, problably as the most powerful I.G. Nigeria would have ever had.

If you take a look at people holding Nigeria's National honours, they are coup plotting Generals, the most politicians and their civilian collaborators. I do not think Gani would fit the club. Also Imagine giving Bankole CFR and Gani a mere OFR, who had made more contribution to Nigeria?
Re: Gani Fawehinmi Rejects National Honour (OFR) by marcusjay(m): 5:10pm On Dec 19, 2008
To hell with the crazy honour. who's talking about honour, when the country is going into total frenzy. almost everything is coming to a stand still, and the only good our sick president can do is to gather old haggards as ministers to surround him in a decaying government that needs total revamping with youthful and energetic hands.
do we know why lagos state is undergoing so much chage in governance? simply because the governor is one of the youngest among his pairs. the likes: Donald duke. how many more?
Much more respect to you, our able admirable SAN. to hell with their honors.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

TUC Rejects New Electricity Tariffs ! / VP Sambo's Convoy Defies Traffic Rules In Abuja / Unemployment Is Not A Headache For Us – Aregbesola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.