Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,459 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? (2218 Views)

Advice Needed: Is Whogohost.com The Best Nigeria Web Hosting Provider / Nigeria Web Development & Nigeria Website Design Company Enugu Nigeria / Dont Patronise Nigeria Web Hosting Company (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by daladi: 2:52pm On Dec 17, 2008
The Nigeria Web Awards 2008 claims to be the National Approved Web site award program launched to honour Nigeria’s talented webmasters. The awards would name the Best Website in four industry categories, namely, Commercial Category, Entertainment Category, Community Category and Webmasters Honours.

Nominations and votes for best web site would come from interactive agencies and web site marketing departments in more than 20 states from around Nigeria.

Voting for the Nigeria Web Awards is said to have begun, but I couldn’t find an open voting system on the website. Over 300 verified nominations is said to have been recieved so far and this has been narrowed down to the 3 most-nominated sites and services in each category.

Every winner of this award would be provided with a web-embedded award to be placed on their web pages as a recognition of their achievement and credibility, which would be followed by an indoor interview with all the winning webmasters at four different television stations, namely, Sliverbird, AIT, Channels, and Galaxy, while winners that could not attend the event would be interview online in a virtual world.

The organizer of the award is the Nigeria International Technology, a professional organization for technology, innovation, and web development. Wait a minute, NIT Who really are they? Does anyone know them?

www.nwa.gobbleabba.com
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by iotolorin(m): 4:01pm On Dec 17, 2008
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 18, 2008
why will http://www.coolng.com/ be nominated

Who are the organizers, and i smell they have a personal relationship with that website,
That website is a single jpeg file with no link, you can't even leave the home page

Apart from the fact that it is not functional, the images that made it look cachy are product snapshot so they deserve no credit for that as anyone could take a picture
scroll to the bottom, they wickedly optimized it that the phone numbers are blurry
Imagine, even with a graphic program, they couldn't even add a double strikethrough to the Nigerian currency symbol, all they could do was use "N"

http://www.coolng.com/CoolGadgetsDec2008Catalog2.JPG
thats the link to the image they called a website, How many handbill do you think are out there that look better than that? a lot

When we still have sites like tokunbo.com.ng, smslive247 etc
This is not a credible award.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by yawatide(f): 8:03pm On Dec 18, 2008
i wd take coolng off the list for the mere fact that there is horizontal scroll, at least in FF. Whatz that? I hear you say, it isn't the case in IE? Well, if that is the case, that is more reason y the site shouldn't b on the list as it isnt cross-browser compliant.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by OmniPotens(m): 1:32am On Dec 19, 2008
IMHO, this award seems a child's place and unrealistic.

Nominees, be at your guard.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:55pm On Dec 19, 2008
1: The Owner of Gobble Abba has stumbled on a common phenomena. There is enough meat for two when there's only one lion in a field with thousands of antelopes. They must have figured Philips Consulting was getting all the street creds with the WebJurist awards, He wants in on it probably to promote his business http://www.gobbleabba.com/clients.html does not even give urls to the sites he has produced so we can review them

2: In his near-infinite Wisdom (Ignoring the rated sites on NIT) how come First Bank is on the list, where did she sneak in from http://www.firstbanknigeria.com/ most sites being criticized on NL even work better than First Bank's website

3: Mr. Wale Abba's strategy is flawed in the sense that he did not raise enough street cred for his business to actually become a recognizable brand in the UK web Industry, mention Tavia anywhere in Lagos and you will get this lip-bitten look (yes they have tried) of recognition.

Until he can explain why http://www.coolng.com/ got a rating.

IMHO i think the awards are a preparation ground for a big scam for dubious web design scam artists, just my Honest Opinion
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:24pm On Dec 19, 2008
and how does this win the best web designer award in nigeria

http://www.livebeats.net/nmva.html

Awards received - scroll down to avoid the other unbelievable gist

http://www.whichwebdesigncompany.com/uk/profile/gobbleabba
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by yawatide(f): 4:39pm On Dec 19, 2008
and how does this win the best web designer award in nigeria
Simple: On a, "I will scratch your back if you scratch mine" basis.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by daladi: 6:16pm On Dec 19, 2008
Am yet to find a praise for this award
Anyways, everyone got his or her own problem, i will rather focus on how to get myself noticed, rather than sitting and chatting about an already developed web agency. I got no problem with Gobbleabba, they are established, people are just chatting out of portion. Everyone is calling them scam, tell me, How many of you stay honest to get what you want.

This is  modern world, you find every means to get noticed or you die under the seat belt. You all disappoint me, every one comparing a nigeria stuff to british stuffs. If only you live among them, you will know they pretend and you will find out how desperate they get when they need something. See this is a nigerian stuffs, don't hate appreciate. Gobbleabba is just a web agency like everyone esle, they are striving hard to make a difference in nigeria, you all are picking on them. Anyways, they got the attention they need, and in a few years time, the name NWA will be as huge as OBAMA, what you all don't know is that its starts from here, and its starting now.

Well, as far as i am concern, i have not found a link between NIT and Gobbleabba, according to startups nigeria, LOY said that Gobbleabba stands as a public relation icon, not one of them. Do you know the meaning of Public Relation Icon? Check your dictionary !! Anyways, am not bothered, Gobbleabba is not my father's website nor my friend's but note that the competition is on in nigeria, now that the name Gobbleabba is known. Tighten your seat belt mates, because Abba is about to out turn you all, have you ever wonder how much praise they will get if they table this awards? the name Nigeria in any thing is huge, the government will definitely approve this.

Nominate or Not, the idea of all this is to get nigerian webmasters support and not a fight, Gobbleabba is a web agency trying hard to beat the credit crunch, and i must say they are gettin there, with this audience and google track i am gettin about them. Feel free to copy this note and paste anywhere, it is free.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by OmniPotens(m): 8:59pm On Dec 19, 2008
Hey daladi

Are we sure it is not you owning this "award" of a thing?
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by daladi: 9:09pm On Dec 19, 2008
i wish i own it, cos i can see its future, You guys need to see what i see
this award thing will shed light to our so called webmasters reputation !! They need our support,,
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by OmniPotens(m): 9:20pm On Dec 19, 2008
They should first make themselves known before trying to make others.
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by TechPros(m): 9:28pm On Dec 19, 2008
@ daladi - abeg. what are u saying? i say keep quite  angry angry
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by OmniPotens(m): 9:58pm On Dec 19, 2008
Hearing from another mouth seems better tongue
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:00pm On Dec 19, 2008
@danladi
do not get us wrong, we are not saying that any web agency (especially an Nigerian Web Agency in the UK) does not own the "jungle' rights to step in a different direction and proactively host and award at the same time. It is good to be recognized by others in your field. that is what builds experience and skills. "A landscape for competition"

What I am saying is that
1: The Awards do not indicate that a clear 'Business Case' was drawn up to demonstrate benefits, rules for measurement, rewards and how it is supposed to ginger-up Web Designers (Nigerian ones who are in dire need of International Experience). It just gives awards, no report on how it came about the ratings
2: Clearly demonstrates lack of transparency by not accepting votes online but offline and in-house without a table of metric used
3: It feels like a slap in the face when you get the Best Designer of the Year 2007 (for naija) and the Most Recognized Designer of the Year 2008 (for Naija) based on a portfolio that will not make top 100 on the UK Best Website Awards List (IMHO).
4: I have take the time (like i no get work) to critically look at the categorization and noticed a lack of focus (not a good quality if you are a web designer)
5: I also noticed a good sprinkle of LiveBeats and GOBBLEABBA on various award sheets as well as sites GOBBLEABBA has been involved with (especially onlinenigeria.com subsites)

http://www.nwa.gobbleabba.com/community%20nominees.html
BEST COMMUNITY WEBSITE | Nairaland is tops
BEST SEARCH SITE | Google Nigeria beats any Nigerian search site
BEST FUN AND GAME WEBSITE | what do you mean here, what exactly cos i checked out the sites listed
BEST NON PROFIT WEBSITE | NGO or sites that do not ask you to pay which one. cos Nairaland was listed in both Commercial and Non-Profit
MOST POPULAR  COMMUNITY  WEBSITE |Nairaland 'fcourse
BEST PUBLIC NEWS WEBSITE | I do not understand, public news??/
BEST DESIGN COMMUNITY WEBSITE | at this stage i am mentally drained looking at the list

http://www.nwa.gobbleabba.com/comercial%20noBEST REAL ESTATE WEBSITEminees.html
BEST ISP & TELECOM WEBSITE | You mean MTN and GLO have made all Nigerian ISPs vanish
BEST CAREER WEBSITE | Jidaw is a listing not a career site
BEST REAL ESTATE WEBSITE | hmmm
BEST BANKING  WEBSITE | I will not say much but this ranking reeks
BEST SHOPPING WEBSITE |Cool Gadgets just shows the dishonesty of this awards
BEST AUTOMOTIVE WEBSITE | hmmmm
BEST COMMERCIAL FORUM | Nairaland dey there?
BEST TRAVEL WEBSITE | hmmmm

http://www.nwa.gobbleabba.com/entertainment%20nominees.html
BEST SPORT WEBSITE |Hmmmm
BEST ENTERTAINMENT WEBSITE | f'course your livebeats go dey there
BEST RADIO WEBSITE : still there
BEST TV  WEBSITE :| and still there
MOST IMPRESSIVE NAVIGATION | WTF is this, should this not be a metric u use to measure who gets the awards in MOST INTERACTIVE WEBSITE?
MOST POPULAR ENTERTAINMENT WEBSITE | Hits, Awards, what exactly
BEST INTERACTIVE SITE | How do you measure interactivity,
BEST VIDEO STREAMING  SITE | what is this, again, why does this category exists , to what purpose does it serve

http://www.nwa.gobbleabba.com/individual%20nominees.html
HONORARY AWARD NOMINEES | our very own Seun is there, why not Gbenga Obasanjo or Gbenga Sesan how did they arrive at this list
MOST IMPRESSIVE FREELANCER | how on earth among sooo many great freelancers in lagos alone
MOST IMPRESSIVE WEBSITE DESIGNS | at this stage I am feeling pissed i actually tried to exlain this to you
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 11:09pm On Dec 19, 2008
shocked Yeeepa!,  Mr daladi,  please do not try this again,  angry

Do not ever try to play with my Naija Intelligence you should have just said that your company won soooo many awards you have no choice but to itch your crotch and bring this to nairaland. I am so pissed i tried to educate you about your topic when you already knew where you were headed with this,  abeg no try am again. i just wasted hours i should have used to tidy up work that will get me christmas pay,  haba why angry

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/main/livebeats.net

What is your email address doing there,  ehh tongue
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by daladi: 11:21pm On Dec 19, 2008
of course i run livebeats.net mails, if thats what you want to knw
but am not bothered about watever you think of me, all am saying is that the deed has been done,
lets wait for the winners before winein around !!
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by OmniPotens(m): 4:01am On Dec 20, 2008
@lagerwhenindoubt

In fact, you are really larger when in doubt.

@daladi
shocked

So you were listed for the awards dude? What will the be giving you for your being nominated? Have you bought a ride for Xmas? Just curious and undecided.

In fact, tell about these your other brothers you are promoting or are you part of the concept as in Marketing Manager or something like that? Or are you the owner of the award lipsrsealed shocked   tongue
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by Nobody: 11:03am On Dec 20, 2008
The truth is that danladi owns most of those sites including gobble abba

Here are the facts

You run the emails for livebeats, fine

that means you have a link to that livebeats, You own livebeats

How come livebeats author has a link to gobbleabba

here is an extraction from livebeats' homepage header

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<meta name="Generator" content="Serif WebPlus 11.0.6.030">
<title>Home</title>
<meta name="keywords" content="NMVA, Gobbleabba, Livebeats, Livebeats, nigeria music video award 07, gobbleabba,callivision:">
<meta name="description" content="Livebeats, the longest tv music progamme in nigeria, ">
<meta name="author" content="Gobble Abba">
<meta name="copyright" content="Callivivsion©2008">
<meta name="date" content="2008-12-19T06:35:04+00:00">
<link rel="icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon">
<style type="text/css">

I guess for the sake of the award, you "Calivisioned" it

you=livebeats (because you do their emails)
livebeats=gobbleabba (the source code says so)

A yoruba adage, (Egungun atiro wole, eyan atiro jade, tani o sai mo pe egun to wole ni eyan to jade)
meaning, A limping masquerade enters a hut, 2 minutes later, a man limps out of that hut
We definitely need nobody to tell us who the masquerade was
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by jmslimx(m): 11:08am On Dec 20, 2008
THIS IS A LAME AWARD, i SEE SOME SITES I WONDER WHAT THIS GUYS ARE REALLY THINKIN, PEACE
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by OmniPotens(m): 1:34pm On Dec 20, 2008
@daladi

I from the onset suspected you. I cannot say anything more than to allow you and your thread go a very long way.

Kudos!
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by webguru(m): 2:58pm On Dec 20, 2008
All the more reason, I advocated a Nairaland Web Award
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by daladi: 5:19pm On Dec 20, 2008
@webdezzi, WOW !! you go a long way to copy a site source, just to prove what? i dnt understand
Listen i work for gobbleabba no doubt, callivision is the owner of livebeats and we are the web developers and i dnt understand what you are dragging about, please can you all do me a favour, delete this forum, cause if my boss Mr Wale Abba sees this, am in deep trouble. Please, i was only defending the award, not to go a long way to prove what? Please i beg of you guys, a job secured, is a job kept, I dnt want to lose this one,
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by bug24(m): 5:50pm On Dec 20, 2008
LMAOOOOOOOO

am feeling you guyz, but honestly, i will like to know where this ends
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 20, 2008
You and your boss should go bury ur face in the mud, I think if anything credible will come up, that should be something like Nairaland Awards
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by OmniPotens(m): 7:16pm On Dec 20, 2008
Hmmm grin

Do you mean you actually want this thread deleted

tongue
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by smartsoft(m): 8:35pm On Dec 20, 2008
oh thank God Finally someone said something, i was wondering when they said i was nominated ooooooo! i think something like this they should be a post for voting or something? and beside, have not see where peeps who organise something like this and nominate themselves too oooo! i was just wondering,
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by OmniPotens(m): 9:14pm On Dec 20, 2008
My brother, since I got the info, I was not so pleased with that kinda nomination where no one is aware of even the organizers. Just watch well before they delve into another aspect of nomination in the name of one popularized company and get guys stressing themselves to go pick up nothing. Just face your job well . wink
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by webguru(m): 9:49pm On Dec 20, 2008
So, will you guys get to the point and nominaye

NAIRALAND WEBMASTERS SITE OF THE YEAR

Im nominating

Facebook, oh sorry

1. Nairaland
2. Enyimba's Site
3. BankPHP's site

So nominate
Re: What Do You Think Of The Nigeria Web Awards? by roshid(m): 5:45pm On Jul 16, 2009
hello, guys i think the idea is cool it is true that we may not have much site that can stand those one for abroad but with this kind of award people with be tailored toward doing it right i hope in the future there will also web designer award just to keep the ball rolling.

(1) (Reply)

Mybb Or Phpbb Which Is Best For Creating Forum? / How To Download Videos From Youtube And Facebook / Utexta.com Debuts With FREE 500 Bulk Sms Units!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.