Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,739 members, 7,820,545 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:49 PM

Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate (1215 Views)

Final Debate Between Trump And Clinton, See The Winner / Trump Currently Roasting Hillary Clinton; LIVE Debate. / The Winner Of Today's USA Presidential Debate Btw Trump And Clinton (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by lonipeter(m): 2:22pm On Jan 11, 2015
Wife-swapping among Namibia's nomadic tribes has been practised for generations, but a legislator's call to enshrine it in law has stirred debate about women's rights and tradition in modern society
The practice is known as “okujepisa omukazendu” – which loosely means “offering a wife to a guest” – the practice is little known outside these reclusive communities, whose population is estimated at 86 000. It is a kind of gentlemen’s agreement where friends can have sex with each others’ wives – no strings attached.
Of course, the wives don’t have much say in the matter. They’re swapped and changed and swung between different men in a country with one of the world’s highest HIV infection rates.
But the Ovahimba and Ovazemba tribes defend their cultural practice, saying it strengthens their friendships and prevents promiscuity. “It’s a culture that gives us unity and friendship,” said Kazeongere Tjeundo, a lawmaker and deputy president of the opposition Democratic Turnhalle Alliance of Namibia.
“It’s up to you to choose (among) your mates who you like the most… to allow him to sleep with yourwife,” said Tjeundo, a member of the Ovahimba ethnic group. Tjeundo plans to propose awife-swapping law following a November legislative poll when he’s tipped for re-election.
Mainly found in the north-western Kunene region near the Angolan border, the tribes are largely isolated from the rest of the country. They have resisted the trappings of modern life, keep livestock, live off the land and practice ancestral worship
Source:Independent Online
Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by donmalcolm21(m): 2:38pm On Jan 11, 2015
Maybe I will go for a summer holiDay there and "lecture" them about how to make me a good friend.

1 Like

Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 11, 2015
donmalcolm21:
Maybe I will go for a summer holiDay there and "lecture" them about how to make me a good friend.
Pls,when going..inform me..i av to make good new friends..
Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by donmalcolm21(m): 2:49pm On Jan 11, 2015
SuperMartins:
Pls,when going..inform me..i av to make good new friends..
please I don't want to fight with you on this thread kindly go to Somalia and allow me to carry out this sacred mission in Namibia
Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 11, 2015
donmalcolm21:
please I don't want to fight with you on this thread kindly go to Somalia and allow me to carry out this sacred mission in Namibia
grin cos i jxt wan manage travel wit u..u wen be refugee for yemen..oboi,am goin alone cos if they see me with u sef,them go begin deny their culture say dem no dey xchange wives again..See u there
Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by uprightman(m): 3:06pm On Jan 11, 2015
this remind me the story about Tiv and nuiman .
Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by lonipeter(m): 7:25pm On Jan 11, 2015
donmalcolm21:

Remember they are among the world's highest HIV-infected nations, awoof dey turn belle o
Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by lonipeter(m): 7:32pm On Jan 11, 2015
Wait o, if someone has 52 friends, and there are 52 weeks in a year, emm... Jes saying.
Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by Blackfire(m): 10:30pm On Jan 15, 2015
*faints again* pls call les
Re: Namibia’s Wife Swapping Practice Ignites Debate by naijaclinic: 7:17pm On Jan 18, 2015
You will marry too na. So that while u r away ur friends will be entertaining ur wife.

(1) (Reply)

El Chapo, Recaptured (3rd Time) / CCTV Footage Of Terrorists Spraying Guests With Bullet At Hotel Complex In Kenya / Vladmir Putin: "As Long As I Am President, Gay Marriage Will Never Be Legalized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.