Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,106 members, 7,811,108 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) (51933 Views)

Eid-el-fitr: Aregbesola Provides Free Train Ride / My Train Ride From Makurdi, Benue State To Portharcourþ / New Year Train Ride From Portharcourt To Enugu (Pics Inside) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:14pm On Jan 13, 2015
Watching kids.....

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:15pm On Jan 13, 2015
Traffic should stop....

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:16pm On Jan 13, 2015
Reaching the market

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:18pm On Jan 13, 2015
Diobu market

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:19pm On Jan 13, 2015
I think iys dangerous to allow these people sell their wares so close to the tracks.....

2 Likes

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:21pm On Jan 13, 2015
Too close for comfort

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:22pm On Jan 13, 2015
They should be relocated

2 Likes

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:24pm On Jan 13, 2015
Diobu, the monorail project. .....

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:26pm On Jan 13, 2015
Mile one, the government house, monorail. ....

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:28pm On Jan 13, 2015
Still on the monorail. .....

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:29pm On Jan 13, 2015
Lots and lots of track building materials in PH

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:31pm On Jan 13, 2015
We reach the station

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:36pm On Jan 13, 2015
The next step would be to introduce limited HSR services connecting Lagos-PH-Abuja-Onitsha-Aba.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:38pm On Jan 13, 2015
In summary, the railway authorities needs to wake up and address a lot of maintenance and technical issues with the rails. They should change personnel and systems. There are heavy delays for unnecessary reasons. People ask to be dropped off at places not designated as train stations and the officials agree. There were about six unofficial drops, they just inform the driver and he stops.

They seriously need to improve. I will score this railway authority 40% this train is not good for a businessman like me. Maybe they need to add another express line.

6 Likes

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Junipero: 6:17pm On Jan 13, 2015
The supporters of a fiddling government are nowhere to be seen.

The TRUTH has been preached by spyderman. Bros better swing to safety before they assassinate you! cheesy

If you had not posted this enlightening topic, we would have been rail-roaded by e-Touts who come here to bellow without tangible Facts at hand.

Well...we know what they say about empty vessels....

I just pray that we collectively move our Country Nigeria to its rightful place.

spydey880 has done his part. What about YOU?

God Bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Daddi: 8:01pm On Jan 13, 2015
onegig:

Exactly. And europe is never my compass to judge Nigeria. Just got a report that Abacha did the same thing by buying coaches for the moribund sector, Obasanjo did almost half of it, Sambo did the Kaduna -Zaria route while as first term governor in Kaduna but ask yourself where has that got us in the last 20 years?

Same point. So thus isn't criticism. It's about asking what we deserve.
glad we're having an understanding. Imagine our telecom sector though privatized is been abandoned both in policy, security & support by subsequent govts what do u think 'll happen?
If subsequent govts keep giving attention to the rail better ideas of making it better 'll come up, gradually we'll get there. So in development whichever way you look at it, there must be a starting point. You mat why didnt you start big but its better you get started than procastinating based on when you want to start big. Have alot of examples to cite but I'm not good at long write ups.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Samscoz(m): 9:56pm On Jan 13, 2015
was at the Enugu station today to see things for my self and maybe one of this days follow suit. few pix Bellow.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by onegig(m): 10:40pm On Jan 13, 2015
Daddi:
glad we're having an understanding. Imagine our telecom sector though privatized is been abandoned both in policy, security & support by subsequent govts what do u think 'll happen?
If subsequent govts keep giving attention to the rail better ideas of making it better 'll come up, gradually we'll get there. So in development whichever way you look at it, there must be a starting point. You mat why didnt you start big but its better you get started than procastinating based on when you want to start big. Have alot of examples to cite but I'm not good at long write ups.

Unfortunately the private sector is different from government business and until the government hands over the railways then I wouldn't want to compare both sectors and mind you what has NCC done to improve the telecoms sector apart from selling licences and sleeping on duty?.

Maybe you ask yourself what happened to Nitel and why it died. Government was not willing to take risks and give Nigerians a 21st century telecoms company. They were only willing to give Nigerians that second class moribund service and I am sorry Mtel and nitel had competition and they werent able to keep up and died off.

Better idea is when you give people the best with your available resources. Throwing us an archaic railway service and branding it transformation is not foresight but stupidity. The cost, efficiency and effectiveness of such railway system would not jump start anything. When the Lagos to ilorin route started, people trooped out to go patronise it, just a year after and its scanty except during festivities when the fare is free courtesy of Aregbe..

Why would I spend 12 hours on a train to ilorin and still pay N980 when an Hummer bus from Lagos would do the same in 4 hours with just N1600? Also these trains don't run daily so you have to be second guessing when they run and what time they leave. Just use the Lagos to Ilorin route as a case study and ask yourself why companies and individuals aren't using the rail service to ferry their goods after more than a year its been launched preferring trucking it by roads. Simple lack of reliability and efficiency.

Don't give people crumbs at insane prices. This old means of locomotive engines running max 70km/hr has gone way past its time. It belongs to the 60s. Nigeria already had a starting point in rail service as far back 1901 . It's way over time that we move on to better things instead of returning to that starting point 100 years after.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:07pm On Jan 14, 2015
Realdeals:
To a new train traveller it is called transformation. But to me nothing has change, the greatest undoing of the Yar'adua/GEJ govt is stopping the construction of the standard gauge rail line and reconstructing the old narrow gauge line.

Which standard gauge line was stopped?
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Realdeals(m): 12:29pm On Jan 14, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Which standard gauge line was stopped?

Lagos to Kano
Nigeria Suspends $8bn Chinese Rail Contract
http://www.financialnigeria.com/NEWS/news_item_detail_archive.aspx?item=3651

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:38pm On Jan 14, 2015
Realdeals:

Lagos to Kano
Nigeria Suspends $8bn Chinese Rail Contract
http://www.financialnigeria.com/NEWS/news_item_detail_archive.aspx?item=3651

Did you not read this part from the link you posted;

"For alleged non-compliance with due process, the Federal Government has suspended the $8 billion railway contract awarded to a Chinese company by former President Olusegun Obasanjo"
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Realdeals(m): 12:46pm On Jan 14, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Did you not read this part from the link you posted;

"For alleged non-compliance with due process, the Federal Government has suspended the $8 billion railway contract awarded to a Chinese company by former President Olusegun Obasanjo"

Forget there will always be an excuse for such action! was it not the same contract awarded by GEJ last year for $12bn?

3 Likes

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Sunnybobo3(m): 12:51pm On Jan 14, 2015
Realdeals:

Forget there will always be an excuse for such action! was it not the same contract awarded by GEJ last year for $12bn?

You are now contradicting your earlier assertion.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Realdeals(m): 12:52pm On Jan 14, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

You are now contradicting your earlier assertion.

How?

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Sunnybobo3(m): 1:05pm On Jan 14, 2015
otokx:
I'd like to use this medium to thank spyder880 for his objectivity in narrating the experience.

Lets hope this service can be improved upon and sustained.

10 hours though is quite a long period for a one way trip.

Una don get light for UNIPORT yet?

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Daddi: 10:45am On Jan 15, 2015
onegig:

Unfortunately the private sector is different from government business and until the government hands over the railways then I wouldn't want to compare both sectors and mind you what has NCC done to improve the telecoms sector apart from selling licences and sleeping on duty?.

Maybe you ask yourself what happened to Nitel and why it died. Government was not willing to take risks and give Nigerians a 21st century telecoms company. They were only willing to give Nigerians that second class moribund service and I am sorry Mtel and nitel had competition and they werent able to keep up and died off.

Better idea is when you give people the best with your available resources. Throwing us an archaic railway service and branding it transformation is not foresight but stupidity. The cost, efficiency and effectiveness of such railway system would not jump start anything. When the Lagos to ilorin route started, people trooped out to go patronise it, just a year after and its scanty except during festivities when the fare is free courtesy of Aregbe..

Why would I spend 12 hours on a train to ilorin and still pay N980 when an Hummer bus from Lagos would do the same in 4 hours with just N1600? Also these trains don't run daily so you have to be second guessing when they run and what time they leave. Just use the Lagos to Ilorin route as a case study and ask yourself why companies and individuals aren't using the rail service to ferry their goods after more than a year its been launched preferring trucking it by roads. Simple lack of reliability and efficiency.

Don't give people crumbs at insane prices. This old means of locomotive engines running max 70km/hr has gone way past its time. It belongs to the 60s. Nigeria already had a starting point in rail service as far back 1901 . It's way over time that we move on to better things instead of returning to that starting point 100 years after.
I love discussion its going maturedly. If I get ur point, you're canvassing for privatisation of the system.
I dont know their feasibility study or blueprint for the rail system but unlike the telecom. They may have in mind getting it working before privatizing. Whichever's their plan getting it working is not a bad idea.

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by onegig(m): 11:03am On Jan 15, 2015
Daddi:
I love discussion its going maturedly. If I get ur point, you're canvassing for privatisation of the system.
I dont know their feasibility study or blueprint for the rail system but unlike the telecom. They may have in mind getting it working before privatizing. Whichever's their plan getting it working is not a bad idea.
They should privatise it if they can't give the people a better option. However critical infrastructure such as this can't just be laid in the private sector. Govt should build new standard lines just like they build airports and leave the running of the services to the private sector

A cost analysis of "getting it to work" cum its effectiveness would show you that it's better to discard this leprous hand and create a new effective hand. Feedback from even enthusisatic users of this shows a clear support for something new. See the closing quote of the op below esp. words in bold.

spyder880:
In summary, the railway authorities needs to wake up and address a lot of maintenance and technical issues with the rails. They should change personnel and systems. There are heavy delays for unnecessary reasons. People ask to be dropped off at places not designated as train stations and the officials agree. There were about six unofficial drops, they just inform the driver and he stops.

They seriously need to improve. I will score this railway authority 40% this train is not good for a businessman like me. Maybe they need to add another express line.

Would he patronise them again? I am sure never. Is that an achievement for government inspite of the billions spent? You know the answer already.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Daddi: 11:48am On Jan 15, 2015
onegig:
They should privatise it if they can't give the people a better option. However critical infrastructure such as this can't just be laid in the private sector. Govt should build new standard lines just like they build airports and leave the running of the services to the private sector

A cost analysis of "getting it to work" cum its effectiveness would show you that it's better to discard this leprous hand and create a new effective hand. Feedback from even enthusisatic users of this shows a clear support for something new. See the closing quote of the op below esp. words in bold.

Would he patronise them again? I am sure never. Is that an achievement for government inspite of the billions spent? You know the answer already.
ya, hope you've not forget what started our discussion, that made me use telecom to cite example. I never said its the best. Subsequent improvement is needed but atleast the system have been woken up. If we wait till we have european standard on a start the system remain like that forever. Thanks
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by otokx(m): 12:59pm On Jan 17, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

Una don get light for UNIPORT yet?

No light, generator noise and fumes all over.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by anonimi: 9:02am On Jan 18, 2015
spyder880:
It took me 10 hours! I am not happy.

Thanks for answering the question finally.
How long would it have taken by public transport from the same area in PH town to the same area in Enugu town- point to point and the cost for taxi/bus so one can do value for money comparison.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by veraiyke(m): 7:42pm On Mar 28, 2015
It ran on mondays, wednesdays n fridays
PhockPhockMan:
You know Port Harcourt /Enugu route just started, they're running two times a week, I don't know if they've increased it. You pay cash at the station and pick ticket.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

103 Wedding Guests Die In Boat Mishap In Kwara / Can This Truly Happen In Lagos - Photo / Can I Travel To Australia With N4.5 Million?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.