Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,113 members, 7,811,130 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) - Travel (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) (51934 Views)

Eid-el-fitr: Aregbesola Provides Free Train Ride / My Train Ride From Makurdi, Benue State To Portharcourþ / New Year Train Ride From Portharcourt To Enugu (Pics Inside) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:12pm On Jan 12, 2015
Now wait a minute, Aba station was built in 1915?

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:15pm On Jan 12, 2015
The good people of Aba. ......Enyimba city

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by 3dankey(m): 9:20pm On Jan 12, 2015
spyder880:
Una never see anything grin

Just imagine the number of people that their lives will change as a result of this Train service eg those hawking on the train bus stations.
I am not for Gej or Buhari but I want us to be happy when something new is done. As for my own personal opinion I think when it come to transportation sector Gej have perform above average,far above his mates.

6 Likes

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:21pm On Jan 12, 2015
At Imo river station, the train stopped for nearly 45 mins........

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:24pm On Jan 12, 2015
Something was not right with the tracks and some people are repairing it........we all came down and watched....

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:27pm On Jan 12, 2015
After the repairs, we went up to the trains again. ........ and moved

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:30pm On Jan 12, 2015
Moving over Imo river.......

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by freecocoa(f): 9:33pm On Jan 12, 2015
Gboliwe:
Freecocoa, the enugu station is at the bustop in Ogui rd called "railway", if you are in Okpara Avenue/Garden Avenue, its at NEPA bus-stop its directly behind Nepa from that axis and from Ogui Rd it shares boundary with the national stadium. You can't miss it.

@Olrotimi, except you just want to feel the new train its more expensive travelling from Uyo to Phc and then to Enugu. But the terminal at PHC is at station busstop. Just behind the. Bus stop
Thanks a lot Gboliwe.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:34pm On Jan 12, 2015
More of Imo river. ......

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:39pm On Jan 12, 2015
Elelenwo or Elelenwa?

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 9:40pm On Jan 12, 2015
Watch out for the concluding part, we finish the rest of PH pictures tomorrow. Good night.

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by PhockPhockMan: 9:42pm On Jan 12, 2015
spyder880:
Now wait a minute, Aba station was built in 1915?
Aba seems to be the most beautiful along the route.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by onegig(m): 10:11pm On Jan 12, 2015
Daddi:

for those criticizing the train services and work done there no work becomes smooth immediately, they get better with time and continuity.
E.g the telecom sector that need zero investment from the FG, obj revitalized was not easy, we can remember buying lines 40, 50k and making calls N50 even if its 2secs but gradually they're getting better. Does it mean our telecom service is the best in quality and cost after 13years? The answer's NO. But it shows hope and improvement in gradual process of continuity. Good try GEJ.
Have others being kicking off different sectors like these, with continuity we might've known what we'd achieved by now. You dont expect to have the same rail system u have in europe here overnight, its a gradual process though we may need to speed things up.
Lets criticize constructively not in bitterness, sentiments or to pull down. When someone do well lets learn how to say welldone. If we continue like this, its simple we destroy the country and the polithieftians 'll help us loot the ruins.
God bless Nigeria.

The telecoms sector was a class act because the telecoms sector was in a comatose in the country. We never even had the infrastructure on ground. Not a single gsm mast existed in Nigeria as that time. So it was from scratch that the networks were built.

That's what you call transformation.

Not someone buying some coaches without any meaningful addition to the system and throwing it in our faces as transformation. The simple fact that we want you people to acknowledge is that the railway infrastructure you guys keep hyping as transformation has always been there since 1900s or whatever time the colonials built it. Nothing new or awesome was done or added. What is so hard in buying coaches and fixing it with air conditon that the Current administration won't let us hear word?

You want to criticise constructively? Maybe you list the cost of fixing theses rail routes and lets do a comparative review. I bet no one would spell it out for you to see how r.aped this country has been.

2 Likes

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by onegig(m): 10:32pm On Jan 12, 2015
Realdeals:

10hrs! Choi there you go, my average journey time from Lagos to minna is 22hrs

Service can never improve on the narrow gauge track. A train cannot move at a speed of more than 80km/hr on the narrow gauge. That's why I did not see anything transformational in it. The same Those economy class coaches were bought by Abacha in 1997.
I'll rather blame Yar'Adua/GEJ for suspending the construction of the standard gauge that'll afford a train to move at the speed of 140km/hr. The project will have been completed by now if they didn't stall. Now see the same contract OBJ awarded at the cost of $8.3bn then is the same they now award at $12bn. Why waste money rehabilitating the old narrow gauge when the contract for the construction of the standard have start. My brother am angry oo

The exact thing we have been telling this people who wont allow us hear word. Spending 48 hours on a trip between lagos and kano just because I want to enter a passenger train renovated with billions of Naira while other nations are building 380km per hour trains and my country people want me to carry out the drums and start dancing on the streets.

We got scarce resources and unlimited needs to fix not to splash money on projects without considering the long term cost benefits of it.

Let them come up with the amount spent and you would be hearing 100billion naira when it would be discarded in a few years from now.

So maybe they should tell us what is transformational about this?

3 Likes

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by awodman: 11:39pm On Jan 12, 2015
Alright...I see they were repairs on locomotive,track and picking up of passengers...all contributed to the delay
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by openmine(m): 11:47pm On Jan 12, 2015
awodman:
Alright...I see they were repairs on locomotive,track and picking up of passengers... all contributed to the delay
exactly..

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Swizdoe(m): 12:08am On Jan 13, 2015
Collynzo9:

No, you will order for it on Jumia and they will bring it to your house.
Hahahahahahaha.......
You are a clown I swear grin

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by pazienza(m): 8:09am On Jan 13, 2015
spyder880:
Why do they call it Umuahia Ibeku?

Because there is no town named Umuahia. Ibeku is the name of the town,upon whose land majority of Umuahia township was built.

Umuahia like Enugu, is a British creation, Ibeku is to Umuahia,what Nike is to Enugu.

I was told that there was a huge market place around the area in pre colonial days called "Omu-ahia", the colonials established their administrative centre in the area,around that market, and soon the whole towns around that market became known as "Umuahia" area, by the British colonials who obviously mispronounced and mispelt "Omu-ahia" as "Umuahia".

I don't know the authenticity of this "Omu-ahia" story, but it sounds plausible.

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by gists: 8:22am On Jan 13, 2015
We must thank the op for this unbiased report and pictures. One final question I have before I leave this thread is what exactly was the cause why the trip took whooping 10hrs for a journey of less than 250km. Was there a major breakdown that took hers to repair or was it just the speed or was it just human factors at the various stop over stations?
Thanks op the the job well done.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by nelsonB: 11:57am On Jan 13, 2015
Pls how many hours from Enugu to PH onr this train
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Daddi: 12:05pm On Jan 13, 2015
onegig:

The telecoms sector was a class act because the telecoms sector was in a comatose in the country. We never even had the infrastructure on ground. Not a single gsm mast existed in Nigeria as that time. So it was from scratch that the networks were built.

That's what you call transformation.

Not someone buying some coaches without any meaningful addition to the system and throwing it in our faces as transformation. The simple fact that we want you people to acknowledge is that the railway infrastructure you guys keep hyping as transformation has always been there since 1900s or whatever time the colonials built it. Nothing new or awesome was done or added. What is so hard in buying coaches and fixing it with air conditon that the Current administration won't let us hear word?

You want to criticise constructively? Maybe you list the cost of fixing theses rail routes and lets do a comparative review. I bet no one would spell it out for you to see how r.aped this country has been.
I wont be going forth & back on words with you. This is simple everything in life starts and gets better with time. The telecom sector I used to cite example was to let u know how things work. How was the service quality then, how was the cost but things keep getting better. So in overall anybody that resurrects these sectors needs commendation. Anybody expecting to get the same services like that of europe standard from the start is naive of how things work.
Then on amount spent, I'm not a quantity surveyor nor auditor to fault cost, if you are you should know the process to follow to make things right. Thanks.
Criticism is better achieved with free mind.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by onegig(m): 12:32pm On Jan 13, 2015
Daddi:
I wont be going forth & back on words with you. This is simple everything in life starts and gets better with time. The telecom sector I used to cite example was to let u know how things work. How was the service quality then, how was the cost but things keep getting better. So in overall anybody that resurrects these sectors needs commendation. Anybody expecting to get the same services like that of europe standard from the start is naive of how things work.
Then on amount spent, I'm not a quantity surveyor nor auditor to fault cost, if you are you should know the process to follow to make things right. Thanks.
Criticism is better achieved with free mind.

Exactly. And europe is never my compass to judge Nigeria. Just got a report that Abacha did the same thing by buying coaches for the moribund sector, Obasanjo did almost half of it, Sambo did the Kaduna -Zaria route while as first term governor in Kaduna but ask yourself where has that got us in the last 20 years?

Same point. So thus isn't criticism. It's about asking what we deserve.
Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jan 13, 2015
This is getting interesting.
What about lagos-abuja own abi is it forgotten?
I want to enter train o.
Will really love d xperience.

1 Like

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 4:58pm On Jan 13, 2015
Some make shift buildings and shanties were demolished to allow more space for the trains...

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:00pm On Jan 13, 2015
We passed a Port h waste yard

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:01pm On Jan 13, 2015
Port

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:03pm On Jan 13, 2015
Some body of water. ....

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:04pm On Jan 13, 2015
Companies in PH

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:06pm On Jan 13, 2015
Companies in PH. .......

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:08pm On Jan 13, 2015
Trans Amadi

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:10pm On Jan 13, 2015
Hey! I want to cook peppersoup for my girlfriend cheesy

Re: My Train Ride From Enugu To Port Harcourt (Pictures) by spyder880(m): 5:12pm On Jan 13, 2015
The watching crowd. ...

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

103 Wedding Guests Die In Boat Mishap In Kwara / Can This Truly Happen In Lagos - Photo / Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.