Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:07 AM

Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? (3336 Views)

IBB Endorses Muhammadu Buhari For President - SaharaReporters / Ibori, Others To Complete Jail Terms In Nigeria / Prophet Reveals Prophecies For President Jonathan (watch Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by ono(m): 5:34pm On Aug 18, 2006
buluti,
Well, I never meant to correct your spelling. I only highlighted some of my words for emphasis. So, you're on your own on that inference. I'm not a master of English, and I don't look down on anyone who makes any mistake writing it. After all, it's not my mother tongue. I just try to read meanings, as best as I can, to any entry. Now that said,

buluti:

I said I personally agitate for true federalism where each federating state has greater if not 100% control of its resources and perhaps sends a percentage to the centre,,  I support it

No you did not. That was what the originator of this thread stated in his first entry. You set out to criticise Ibori and tell the whole world why he should not be Presido. And criticise you have done very well. It's just that you could not convince me with your facts.

buluti:

ono, please look at the figures, all am asking for is accountability. If truly the funds allocated are being spent. Let them show us. Its not only Delta, Edo, Rivers, Kaduna e.t.c, they should be accountable to the electorate. Delta pays his staff well, really? Didn’t know if you had a choice you would work for Delta state instead of Shell or Chevron. While am not saying they should earn the same the disparity is still too much, civil service is still very inefficient. Standard of living is too low, thats why they still collect bribes and abuse the office they are not paid well enough.

So, if it's not only the states, then the FG is culpable too, don't you think so? If you don't know what Delta pays her civil servants, ask from those who know. Let them tell you what Delta State civil servant monthly wage bill looks like, so that you'll know that the money coming to Delta does not just vanish into thin air.

Well I know Delta Civil service has improved tremendously under Ibori. That guy is a morale booster, go and ask. The Education Commissioner (Pry & Sec) Mrs. Ogboagwu just got recognised recently at Abuja for her laudable roles in reforming Delta State education ministry. Delta is once again at the fore front.

I know the standard of living all over the country is low. Who do you think should take the blame? Is it Ibori or OBJ who's at the helm of affairs. You're deviating o!

I will address other points later.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 6:19pm On Aug 18, 2006
"45 Billion in six months and what can we see in terms of development. I am from the Niger Delta so please don’t play the ethnic card. While I personally agitate for true federalism and greater control of resources, as a nation is that our problem, will that bring development and jobs to our brothers in the creeks?

Hmm, right in black and white you misquote me. For ease of reference see above.

Bringing OBJ into it is amusing its a defeatist way of avoiding the issues. ono you still didnt answer if you would like to work in Delta civil service given the choice. We can all pray for you cheesy. The Civil service has improved tremendiously but the point it is, it is far from where it can be. My intention was not to convince anybody or criticise but to state the facts and leave us to our conscience. Its the facts thats criticising not me. We can be better than this.How i wish theres so much transparency so we know what our leaders are worth.

We need to demand from the next set of leaders accountability and its from such forums we can stimulate ourselves.

If we are happy with the present leadership, then its okay, am not and i speak for myself. I demand so much more from them, i have seen what other countries demand from their leaders, those guys have to be on their toes, ours are too relaxed.

I can see where this is leading, and i guess the point has been made.

I just wanted to stimulate us all to think outside the box and demand for accountability from our leaders, is it so difficult to say tell us how you spend the money, but i guess its okay to do the ordinary and get ordinary results for some of us. Some of us just believe we are far from our potentials. We can be better than this, we need extra-ordinary achievements to make a little impact now.

I Would respond to other lines of arguement.

With that i say thank you for such a stimulating discussion.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Aug 18, 2006
those saying ibori has performed should be imprisoned for falsehood why do people not reason delta state in 7 years if you add IGR,taxes,allocation from FG has recieved about 500 billion naira(4 billion dollars) the projects executed are not even up to 100 billion so far the bomadi bridge,dualisation road etc are not worth up to 100 billion naira and you are saying he has performed those saying he has performed do not know what can be done with 4 billion dollars delta is supposed to be a mini dubai by now.The large scale theft on in delta can only be beaten by the rivers state goverment.Ibori is a massive crook the huge allocation he receives he uses only a pittance and people saying he his performing like this month delta got 15 billion allocation and of we all know 80% is going to private pockets.The use different firms they award contracts to siphon money from the treasury.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by otokx(m): 11:08pm On Aug 18, 2006
a lot of people are just making noise here. which tier of government has used their allocation prudently? corruption is now an old excuse for non - performance. holding corruption to be zero and assuming Chief Ibori actually undertook gigantic development, he will still not be able to make an impact in the presidential election.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by toshmann(m): 11:31pm On Aug 18, 2006
@buluti,

i feel u my dear. our nation needs some collective mourning. but my worst pain is that people will not understand what u are saying. they have no idea where we should be as a nation with the kind of resources at our disposal.
i feel like crying cry

cry cry the beloved country. but massive ignorance, political misrule, monumental corruption, shameless lawlessness etc have combined to generate collosal failures with grave consequencies. cry

who will save this country?
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by dennylove(m): 1:05am On Aug 19, 2006
consider ibori for which place president?delta state or naija?
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by dennylove(m): 1:21am On Aug 19, 2006
Is a pity, that all this RANDY governors and ministers will do anything to get what they want,but come to think of it,NEMESIS will surely fall on them.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by Olart(m): 3:19pm On Aug 19, 2006
Who is BULUTI? I am on my feet for your reasoning and obvious superior intellectual capability. I had thought we've lost all good minds in this country, but thank God for His mercies.
I must say Buluti and Ono have provided a wonderful, thought provoking, in-depth intellectual argument on resource management, accountability, political awareness, and level of will in the Nigerian populace by their argument. I thank the 2 of you very much.
Ono, I advice you reflect more deeply in the facts presented by Buluti and you will see he has a very good point. We have been so bastardized by criminals-in-govt in Nigeria, who for long have kept people in absolute penury, that we now see those who in their 'mercy' decided to drop some crumbs on the floor for us to scramble upon, as MESSIAHS. They would have been messiahs if the food had been theirs, but no, the whole food actually belong to us, not him so we should not cry hosanna when they drop crumbs on the floor for us. That, Mr. Ono, is Buluti's argument. For long, I had thought I was the only man left in Nigeria with that angle of reasoning.
Pls, can Buluti introduce himself more, I will like to know more of him.
By the way, Buluti, if you can take a drive round the whole delta now, from Benin to Akwa Ibom you will probably appreciate what Ono is talking about. The only governor who is dropping crumbs in that area is Ibori. Believe me, I know. I have lived in Benin, Warri, Yenagoa and PH in the last 12yrs before leaving for Houston early this year. The whole delta states are dead, the only one with some live in terms of little projects here and there is Delta state under Ibori, even though the whole projects combined are just meager crumbs when compared to what Ibori gets as allocation.
On the whole, Buluti and Ono, thank you for a wonderful discussion.
Olart
ep0097@hotmail.com
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by ono(m): 3:42pm On Aug 19, 2006
Erm, buluti, sawrie o! Sincere apologies. I must have missed that one.

I did not answer your question on working with the Delta State civil service. I said I'll address other points you raised later on.

So, YES, I'll gladly love to work in the Delta State Civil Service and serve my fatherland. Now, are you satisfied with that? or what more do you need from me to convince you?

Bringing OBJ into this matter does not connote anything defeatist in my last entry. You allege that Ibori has done nothing worth noticing with the huge billions allocated to the state. The EFCC (OBJ's Bulldogs) are in this country, so also is Ibori. Ibori should have been nabbed, arrested, taken behind bars by the EFCC, if all these your allegations are true. Or is Ibori above the law?

Accountability: Well, we've demanded, and we're still demanding for that without any iota of success. We hope that someday, we'll have it. In one of my entries on this forum, I stated the REASONS, why we cannot have any form of transparency or accontability and other juicy things you wished for. I'll post it in here for you to read, no point typing it out all over again.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=12735.msg514063#msg514063
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=12735.msg498414#msg498414

My intention was not to convince anybody or criticise but to state the facts and leave us to our conscience. Its the facts thats criticising not me. We can be better than this.How i wish theres so much transparency so we know what our leaders are worth.

But you have tried to ''convince'' our readers why Ibori cannot, or will not be a good material for Nigeria President, come 2007. You carefully quoted facts ascribed to Delta State only and carefully left out what accrues to the Federal Govt, FCDA, other ''mouths'' that need to be fed with the Niger Delta Resources. And you claim you're just stating facts and leaving us to our conscience. Next time you're quoting facts, quote all of them for all to see and then leave us and our conscience to judge.

If we are happy with the present leadership, then its okay, am not and i speak for myself. I demand so much more from them, i have seen what other countries demand from their leaders, those guys have to be on their toes, ours are too relaxed.

Personally, I'm generally not happy with the present state of things across the country. I've repeatedly stated my grievances on all fronts (political leadership, resource distribution, justice system, and general administration across the land) in most of my posts on this forum. Something I dislike though is comparing myself with others in terms of achievements. I'm the contented type. That does not mean that I shut out any idea of getting to higher height, but I'll rather get there at my own pace. And I think and believe this should apply to Nigeria as well. We will get there. But let us not rush things. Except you're saying we're not fast enough, I think in Delta State in particular, we're making progress.

We're not progressing at a fast pace because of endemic corruption. Read up my links. Only the practice of true Federalism will liberate us. And I see you've left Delta State now, you're comparing Nigeria with other countries. It's all well and good, but note that you're deviating. If you want to focus on Delta then do so, and leave out the greater Nigeria problems for now. It's the ''little'' achievements of James Ibori in Delta State that made the originator of this thread come up with his question, and I think we should address that for now.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by otokx(m): 2:03pm On Aug 21, 2006
i am still waiting for buluti to come up with a reply to ono's last post. the problem with nigeria is mainly arrangee/selective justice especially during public discourse.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 11:00am On Aug 22, 2006
I can see where this is leading, and i guess the point has been made.
[/quote]

I Would respond to other lines of arguement.
[quote]

otokx,
Please refer to my earlier comment. Thanx.

Am tempted to respond to your allegation of "arrangee/selective justice", but i cant see where i am guilty of such.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by otokx(m): 11:04am On Aug 23, 2006
@buluti

You won't see it. The same document you used to assess Delta State also indicts other arms of government like FCDA, FG etc but of course you keep silent on those aspects.

By the way do you know that an arm of UN released a report on the niger delta which rated delta state as the best??
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by ono(m): 11:25am On Aug 23, 2006
Otokx, that's right. Buluti will not see those ones. And reports such as the ones from the UN will easily pass as another fraud by Ibori. Please state the source of that UN report for all to see. Besides, Buluti is looking at the general picture across the land (Nigeria). He's looking at a bigger picture.

Well, let me remind him here that the topic of this thread rests on Ibori and his performance at Delta state as governor in the past 7 years. The author of this thread wants us to look at his performance and tell if he's good enough as President come 2007 or not. So, let me ask him; Buluti, don't you think Ibori is a good enough candidate for Nigeria President come 2007? If yes/no, please state your reasons. And please don't talk about the larger Nigeria problems. There are several threads dedicated to that one.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 4:18pm On Aug 23, 2006
Otokx, you accuse me of being selective on Delta state.

Ono you accuse me of being "general".

My arguement is clear and precise, the performance of James Ibori so far as an assessment of nominating him for president. Once or twice i take a look at the whole polity, but the point is clear and i guess you know my answer to your question.

I appreciate your emotions towards Ibori, its good. Dont let it cloud your reasoning. Look at the figures.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by ono(m): 4:33pm On Aug 23, 2006
buluti:

I appreciate your emotions towards Ibori, its good. Dont let it cloud your reasoning. Look at the figures.

Ok. You've made your point. No wahalases. But I would have loved you put forward names of credible people who should be at the helm of affairs, in place of the roguish Ibori.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by otokx(m): 7:51pm On Aug 23, 2006
what figures are you talking of bulutu?

Take a look at this report.
http://hdr.undp.org/reports/detail_reports.cfm?view=1060

I don't like to talk too much; what your doing is not different from what the sycophants are doing here.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by ono(m): 7:22am On Aug 24, 2006
otokx:

what figures are you talking of bulutu?

Take a look at this report.
http://hdr.undp.org/reports/detail_reports.cfm?view=1060

I don't like to talk too much; what your doing is not different from what the sycophants are doing here.

Wonderful link Otokx. Keep up the good work.

Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 10:42am On Aug 24, 2006
Did you guys read that report?

Please take a careful look at it.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by otokx(m): 11:59am On Aug 24, 2006
Its Obvious that Mr abi Ms Bulutu does not stay in Nigeria or he would have known that the report was analyzed and broken down by many dailies in the country. This was what kindled my interest in the material that i downloaded the entire report into my PC. I am honestly tired of this guys yannings and will no longer respond to such.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 12:14pm On Aug 24, 2006
My response is in two parts.

Part 1
Based on the additional facts provided by Otokx via the UNDP report, (thank you) let us now consider if that’s enough basis to consider Ibori for presidency or as a basis for his performance in eight years.

Let me sate my argument clearly. I argue that the high Human Development Index (HDI) being quoted has little or nothing to do with the performance of Ibori, infacts its an indictment on him. It is an inaccurate assessment of the quality of life of the people.

My aim is not to be a critic of Ibori but to show that Ibori has performed poorly (very poorly, more than I thought earlier) relative to the resources at his disposal and hence can not be as a suitable candidate for presidency.

Please note emphasis on Ibori because he is the subject, the report makes it worse particularly for the likes of Rivers who have more resources. The report really is an indictment on the Niger Delta and Nigeria as a whole. I only pray all in authority would read it and implement its recommendations.

The problem is this, see the link below (Punch) it picks the HDI alone and reports in the news a UNDP report, for heavens sake the report is a 517 page document, then people read the newspaper and my friends would think it’s enough to justify the actions of their prince. The newspaper is reporting as they deem fit, they cant report everything, as stakeholders in the polity we should be interested in real issues, they are journalist and a business venture.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20060823419571

The report ranks Delta state the best amongst the 9 Niger Delta states in terms of HDI alone. It does not mean Ibori has utilized his resources efficiently or performed better. It also compared the region amongst other oil producers where the delta is the least. My friend, Mr.ono the world compares you with the rest of the world, it considers your situation but still compares you, there is no level zero, we are in the same global world. Others have decided to stand out, we have decided to complain and accept near failure performance as one of the contributors stated "accept crumbs".

We might not be able to read the 517 page but please scan through it.

(Mr. ono please see the definition of the Niger Delta: pg 15,and the map: cover page and page 45)
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 12:22pm On Aug 24, 2006
Part 2. I will have to quote a lot from the report to buttress my points

First,
The index is flawed, the UNDP report presents other indexes such as the HPI,GEM, GDI not quoted on the dalies or considered .

"Most indicators used to compute the HDI do not include the items that the Niger
Delta states badly need, such as roads, water, electricity and appropriate waste
management, among others".(Page 128)

"The HDI also does not adequately capture severe environmental degradation
and poor infrastructural provision because of the nature of its measurement
parameters. The Niger Delta states do rank relatively high on the HDI indicators
of life expectancy, knowledge and GDP per capita values. Unfortunately, these
do not include the items the states badly need, such as roads, water, electricity,
appropriate waste management and so on. There is a sharp contrast between the
quantitative indicators and the real quality of life of the people in the region. It is
necessary to look beyond the HDI for an effective assessment of the problems of
the Niger Delta". (Page 138)

This comment summarises the facts, the HDI is not an index to access the quality of life or the efficient use of resources by the governors, it’s a quantitative indicator not a qualitative one.

Second,
No progress has been made, compared to a previous study by the UNDP, the index has been high since the days of Bendel state.

“In 1996, UNDP computed the first HDI for Nigerian states, for the year 1992. As
table 2.8 shows, the Niger Delta states of Bendel (now Delta and Edo states),
Rivers (now Bayelsa and Rivers) and Cross River (now Akwa Ibom and Cross
River) obtained the highest HDI scores in Nigeria, outperforming even Lagos
State. The HDI scores were 0.631 for Bendel, 0.539 for Rivers and 0.513 for Cross
River. UNDP (1996) argued that, on the basis of their HDI scores, these three
states “would easily have qualified in 1990 as middle human development
countries occupying positions 79th, 91st and 96th respectively in the World.”(pg 129)

Third,
Things are actually worse than before, little progress has been made

"Evidence from Chart 2.2 reveals that while some states made appreciable
progress between 1992 and 2005, most states from the Niger Delta region,
especially the South-South geo-political zone, performed poorly. Edo, Delta, and
Bayelsa showed some retrogressive trends, while Ondo, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Cross
River, and Rivers and Imo states achieved some progress." (Page 135)

Fourth,
The reason why it is high, this is the federation case really, the revenue generated is assumed to be spent on the region, hence a high HDI

"An important limitation of the HDI in the Niger Delta region is that the
income data used to compute the per capita GDP component include oil
revenue, much of which is not retained within the region.(Pg 138)
“The well-known limitations of the HDI in the region have to be borne in mind.
For instance, the data on income used to compute the per capita GDP component
include oil revenue, much of which is not retained within the Niger Delta region.”(Page 138)

Finally,
The resources available compared to the population size vis a vis other states suggest that Delta should actually be doing better. Please resist the temptation to bring in Rivers, he has performed worse.

Page 64 tells us that in 2003 Delta got N65 Billion and spent N40 billion on recurrent expenditure alone about 70% (I really hope those staff are paid very well, would have been nice to see how much Shell wage bills is, I know the banking industry as a whole might not spend as much on recurrent expenditure).

Page 54 shows us the land mass and population of Delta state. Delta state has 2.9 million people, it earns about double the income of the other states (apart from Rivers), and has similar population size. See the pages and campare the figures for your selves.

Please spare me, Delta state in terms of level of spending if we assume there is no looting or waste should actually have an index twice as better.

I can go on and on, there are so many facts in the report but it would get too boring and too academic.

The report is meant for policy makers and should not be used as a political tool to dissuade innocent people.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 12:36pm On Aug 24, 2006
Otokx,

We can crack jokes,but please lets have a forum free of all this unnecessary remarks.

"I don't like to talk too much; what your doing is not different from what the sycophants are doing here. "

"Its Obvious that Mr abi Ms Bulutu does not stay in Nigeria or he would have known that the report was analyzed and broken down by many dailies in the country. This was what kindled my interest in the material that i downloaded the entire report into my PC. I am honestly tired of this guys yannings and will no longer respond to such"

Crack a joke to discuss the issues in a lighter mood, or to distract us a bit and make us laugh, not making cynical remarks.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by otokx(m): 2:06pm On Aug 24, 2006
I have heard your suggestion.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by ono(m): 4:44pm On Aug 24, 2006
(Mr. ono please see the definition of the Niger Delta: pg 15,and the map: cover page and page 45)

It's going to be somewhat difficult to define the Niger Delta simply by looking at a map generated by some folks at Abuja, and swallowed hook line and sinker by the UN reporter. You need to know what ''Delta'' means in a ''technical'' sense, and not the ''political'' sense to understand why places like Asaba, Uruekpen, Benin and Auchi cannot be a part of the Niger Delta. So, here we go:

A delta is a triangular shaped landform where the mouth of a river flows into an ocean, sea, desert or lake, building outwards (as a deltaic deposit) from sediment carried by the river and deposited as the water current is dissipated. Deltaic deposits of larger, heavily-laden rivers are characterised by the river channel dividing into multiple streams (distributaries), these divide and come together again to form a maze of active and inactive channels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_delta#Delta_formation

I'll have loved to attach some real photographs. But, I'll refer you to wikipedia and some petroleum engineering geology sites to get these.

Now, even in wikipedia, a section was created for defining the political Niger Delta, because that's what the Nigerian Government wants everyone to believe. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niger_Delta. They (wikipedia) carefully quoted the Nigerian government in their definition, (The Niger Delta, as defined officially by the Nigerian Government,, ).

It's good to have a technical definition, so that you'll not have a warped understanding of these things. I know even folks in Kano will soon begn to claim that Kano is a part of the Niger Delta very soon! Who will not like to associate himself with good things?! The irony of it all is that all these places only identify with the political Niger Delta, so long as oil money is flowing in from there. When it comes to environmental degradation, pollution, killings, militarisation, ethnic strife, improvishment, etc etc, other folks from the non-niger delta, delta, takes to their heels and zoom off. God dey.

Initially, I took a cursory look at the report. I'm done reading a many of pages. And I must say that this report, detailed as may look puts the blame of neglecting the Niger Delta development on past rulers and general maladministration. You will agree with me that it will take a lot of gut and will power to want to reverse in 8 years problems that were created and sustained by a wicked central government.

Evidence from Chart 2.2 reveals that while some states made appreciable progress between 1992 and 2005, most states from the Niger Delta region, especially the South-South geo-political zone, performed poorly. Edo, Delta, and Bayelsa showed some retrogressive trends, while Ondo, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, and Rivers and Imo states achieved some progress." (Page 135)]"Evidence from Chart 2.2 reveals that while some states made appreciableprogress between 1992 and 2005, most states from the Niger Delta region, especially the South-South geo-political zone, performed poorly. Edo, Delta, and
Bayelsa showed some retrogressive trends, while Ondo, Abia, Akwa Ibom, Cross River, and Rivers and Imo states achieved some progress." (Page 135)

I thot that this should draw your ire instead, as a Niger Deltan. Other states made appreciable progress, how? Well, I'll tell you. The environment for those other places are somewhat conducive for progress. You need to visit the Delta and appreciate how enormous the problems in the area is to want to do anything tangible. I understand that the cost of constructing a kilometre of road in the Delta is enough to do 4 km in other places, that translate to spending four times the amount you'll spend ordinarily in other states. I don't think Delta state earns four times as that of other states.

In all, that our leaders are generally corrupt is glaring for all to see. That means you can point accusing fingers at Ibori as a corrupt leader, and I will not blink an eye. So, we're saying thesame thing in this regard, but I disagree with you that this man is not good material for the Presidency.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 7:15pm On Aug 24, 2006
ono,

Thanks for the definition of the word Delta. It has really enlightened me on the meaning of the word, i would not be ignorant next time.

However, it seems you are disagreeing with the UN report you relied on earlier stating they swallowed the FG's definition hook line and sinker. In my opinion i believe the reason for language is communication and the real meaning of a word is in the mind of the user, thats why some words have different meanings. I can say that girl is really looking MAD, meaning she's really fit (pretty), or that girl is really looking mad, meaning shes really looking awful, really if the two parties understand themselves theres communication.

For whatever reason (political or whatever) the government might have defined the Niger Delta i leave it to them, but even the wikipedia recognises the Nigerian Government's definition, so maybe we can note it at least we all understand. It seems its all states that produces crude oil at the moment (no matter the quantities), i dont know.

Am not stating anythin on corruption afterall they havnt been proven guilty, i earnestly wait for next year if EFCC will do anything, i really pray they do, though i agree with you statement.

Am pained on the situation in the whole Niger Delta (FG's definition), am really pained but what am more pained is that my own brothers in the persons of the governors are joining to make it worse, a bridge, little roads here and there wont solve the problems. They just dont know what to do? so why are they there, why via for office when u cant make a difference for whatever reasons i leave to them, but they really dont have the political will and intellect to solve the problem, i dont mean academics now, i mean being sharp.

Yes eight years is a short time, to repair the years of neglect. I agree the problem preceeded Ibori, why should he continue it, but a lot can be achieved in eight years in terms of development (infrastructurally), maybe to see changes in terms or macro-economic indicators might take longer.The governors especially are not serious. Looking at the centre would be leaving subject, that has its issues as well, but as a president please Ibori is far from it, very very far for that matter.

I agree with a contributor that said the guy wont even imagine it in the first place.

On your question earlier who i would consider as president, my brother am forced to get religious, lets pray, lets just pray.

There is a vacuum of leadership. Some people might do well, as they have done well in their fields am sure u guys know a few candidates that we can relate to, but how they would cope politically is a big question, looking at it realistically the old breed are still strong on the ground. We must just ensure that we dont stay at home and make comments like our vote dont count, we need to vote along the lines we think there will be changes, its that vote that we can use to change things, first by ensuring the right people are in place. The issue of rigging is another, but really we need to vote. I strongly believe the rigging goes on in large scale because a lot of us (the younger generation) dont vote, i might be wrong.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by dafman(m): 1:22pm On Aug 25, 2006
Because Ibori is not doing a good job of publicising his achievements in Delta State people don't seem to know that he is one of the best if not the best governor in the Niger - Delta. Most of those running him down here have not even lived in delta state. To see the changes taking place you need to be there.

The United Nations Development Programme rated Delta state as the best state in the Niger-Delta in terms of Human Development Index (HDI) for 2005. And out of all the local governments in the Niger-Delta rated, 11 were judged to be the best and out of these 11, 9 are in delta state amongst which are Udu local government, Aniocha south, warri north, warri south.

Check Punch newspapers of 24-08-2006, page 24 for more details.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by buluti(m): 2:17pm On Aug 25, 2006
@ dafman,

Do you live in England or America to know or assume the quality of life in those places ? and is there a controversy on it ?

Please go through the thread we have dealt with the UNDP report and the HDI index extensively, no need flogging a dead horse.

Mr. otokx provided us a copy of the UNDP report itself and we considered that same punch story. Please try and look at the report for yourself and sieve what you believe from the pages of the newspapers.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by otokx(m): 9:28am On Aug 26, 2006
Isn't it ironic that a pot should be calling a kettle black when both of them sit on the charcoal/firewood contraption?
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by Nobody: 5:56pm On Aug 26, 2006
dafman are you sure you live in delta state can't you reason delta has got about N500 billion till date about 4 billion dollars does delta look like a state that this much money has been pumped into ibori is one of the top worst governors in nigeria out of the allocation received i can swear up to 50% got into private pockets because of the huge allocations ibori hoodwinks people like dafman that he is performing he uses a pittance and people say he has performed not knowing what can be done with the allocation.When assessing ibori performance think of the value the state has got from the allocation much more can be done with the allocation those supporting ibori can they honestly say that 50% of the allocation has not gone to private pockets.To show the massive fraud going on in delta state the ministry of water resources claimed to have executed about 400 million naira project in a community the community elders and the youths through a paid advertorial in vanguard
claimed not a single of the purported projects were in their community i don't need to tell you were the money ended was the commisioner sacked NO was anyone reprimanded or sacked i don't think so to show the extent of the massive fraud going on in the state.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by babe1(f): 5:56am On Aug 27, 2006
He aint done jack in Asaba that is his capital. He is doing for warri and who knows where. Pullez! He needs to be locked up. He sucks and needs to bring our money OUT!
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by otokx(m): 8:42am On Aug 27, 2006
Asaba is not really part of delta state, it is one of the aberations left by IBB. By the way how will he take money got from the oil producing areas and put in Asaba that is itching to join their folks across the niger.
Re: Has Anyone Considered Ibori For President? by babe1(f): 11:32pm On Aug 27, 2006
You must be out of your mind, who wants to join anyone across the niger? maybe you and all your friends but no way me. I don't care where the money comes from, home is where your heart is. He lives in Asaba and thats his state capital, so he better bring that money, cos i want some too.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Challenges Of The Youth And National Development / No Dollar Salary For Okonjo-Iweala, Others — Jonathan / They Will Overthrow The Govt, If You Put Kwara,kogi, Delta Out Of Western Niger.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.