Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,163 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:12 AM

Regrets Of A First Class Student - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Regrets Of A First Class Student (38450 Views)

First Class Student Barred From Graduation For Refusal To Shave Beard / 10 Secret First Class Student Will Never Disclose To Anyone / Becoming A First Class Student, Some Regrets Of A First Class Degree Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Regrets Of A First Class Student by Nobody: 2:30am On Jun 07, 2016
University education is overrated! Look around you, you might end up working for a university dropout.

In North America, university education doesn't guarantee a high paid job.
Plumbers, carpenters, mechanics etc make more than many university educated individuals.
This is an advanced society that have realized that university education is overrated.

Basic education necessary for success in life is High School. Anything beyond that is not so important.
Having a 1st class with no social life is even more damaging because you will lack the connections in life to make it through.

You can always get your management diplomas and MBA later to better manage your thriving company/business and employ 1st class and 2.1 graduates to help make it more efficient.

you have searched a list of drop out that became successful in life? but have you searched list of educated folks who are also successful!
School isn't overrated cause if it was, you would not be able to compose a simple text nor read or write. what matters most in life is achieving your dream goals, no knowledge is a waste or experience. Please let's not discourage our youths from reading hard but encourage them to exploit your creative minds to unlock doors. University education is not overrated, because not everyone who tried Steve jobs or Bill Gates stunt ended up successful and vice versa.

2 Likes

Re: Regrets Of A First Class Student by JBismarck(m): 9:43am On Jun 07, 2016
AmbodOfLASU:

I'm a student from the best University in Nigeria. I study History and International Studies. Am in my second year. Presently, am faced with a puzzle. Firstly, am a student politician/unionist/leader. I currently serve as the General Secretary of my Faculty. A position I took as the youngest in the History of my institution. Based on my track records, leadership qualities and innovative ideas, the Students' populace are urging me to test the waters of Students' Union leadership. However, am contemplating pulling out of Campus politics so as to explore other opportunities as an undergraduate. These opportunities includes - Taostmaters international programmes and certificates, debates, conferences, lectures etc. For instance, I will be a delegate at an upcoming United Nations programme. Am a decent 2'1 student, and I thirst to study harder to increase my CGPA that has dwindled as a result of my participation in campus politics. Campus politics consumes lots of money, time and energy. And even when you emerge, it brings about more stress and problems to face.

In terms of money, am okay, I lack no basic needs as am not even into campus politics for money but for the life lessons one learns from it. In terms of connection, am closer to my VC than even some SUG representatives as he loves the ideas I bring on board.

In summary, I want to focus more on my studies and seal my 2'1. I also want to explore other aspects of international opportunities like Toastmasters international, UN models, conferences, debates , improved scholarship et al.

More so, I already received a certificate of honour from the University authorities for my leadership qualities and contributions.

However, I believe am a born leader, filled with ideas and I evidently can serve the Student populace the best way possible. I see myself as a missing link. What is neeeded.

I can't combine the two, one has to step down for the other.

I plan to proceed to the United States for my postgraduate after my degree in Nigeria.

Your advice?

This happens to be the biggest decision of my life.

I believe you know me, so, I don't need to tell you who I am. Concerning your dilemma, you should ask yourself first what you plan to become in future. When I entered school, I put in for Political Science because I see myself as a future politician and had read almost every book available on that course. Fortunately or unfortunately, I was initially given Geography and Regional Planning which I rejected and lodged complaint because it has nothing to do with politics before I was taken to the best department in the school (winks).

When I came to the most honourable department in the university, I told myself "Jibola, this is not Pol Science; this is the Department of History and International Studies. You have to chose between being exceptionally good in academics and training yourself in politics." I chose the latter and never looked back.

My point here is that I chosed what I want to become in life and it influenced my decision when I was at a crossroad. The advantages of school politics are immense. As you know, I was the departmental president and later the president of students from Ogun State in the school. I graduated with a 3.2CGPA but happy that I trained myself not just as future leader but as a good political strategist. Ask Wale, the immediate faculty president and he will tell you how my strategy contributed to him becoming the president against all odds. The experience I gained in school politics is also helping me a lot where I work.

My advice? If you don't plan to become future politician or diplomat, 'bone' unionism for academics but if you plan to go into politics in future, I beg you, please immerse yourself in unionism but make sure your CGPA doesn't go down below 3.5. Being a Second Class Upper graduate is a pride.

2 Likes

Re: Regrets Of A First Class Student by Nobody: 10:08am On Jun 07, 2016
AmbodOfLASU:

Your advice?

This happens to be the biggest decision of my life.

I am proud of you bro.
Just like you, I was part of student unionism. I was a member of the SUG senate in my year 3. I gained some leadership, human relations and public speaking skills. I did so to balance my knowledge. It didn't affect my CGPA so much, though it did.

My advice:
You've done well in students politics, your academics is left. Your energy should be geared towards where you'd like to end up (academia/scientific community or politics).

Judging from your course of study, you've done well by excelling in students politics and administration. Keep it up. But this time, devote lesser time. I believe you must have gained useful experience by now.

A good grade gives you an advantage for the next step (post graduate study) especially abroad. So don't relent, else you'll not be happy with the outcome.

Attending the conferences and participating in international and professional events is a great idea. I started mine in my final year though. Now I belong to two international and one local professional body. I have also attended there conferences and trainings. That distinguished me. I have made good connections from there. I get job offers so often but I have to choose which is best for my career in the long run.

Send me a PM I'll take time to put you through.
I hurriedly typed this piece from the office
I wish you the very best, cheers.
Re: Regrets Of A First Class Student by AmbodOfLASU: 12:08pm On Jul 16, 2016
Akdegreat:

I am proud of you bro.
Just like you, I was part of student unionism. I was a member of the SUG senate in my year 3. I gained some leadership, human relations and public speaking skills. I did so to balance my knowledge. It didn't affect my CGPA so much, though it did.

My advice:
You've done well in students politics, your academics is left. Your energy should be geared towards where you'd like to end up (academia/scientific community or politics).

Judging from your course of study, you've done well by excelling in students politics and administration. Keep it up. But this time, devote lesser time. I believe you must have gained useful experience by now.

A good grade gives you an advantage for the next step (post graduate study) especially abroad. So don't relent, else you'll not be happy with the outcome.

Attending the conferences and participating in international and professional events is a great idea. I started mine in my final year though. Now I belong to two international and one local professional body. I have also attended there conferences and trainings. That distinguished me. I have made good connections from there. I get job offers so often but I have to choose which is best for my career in the long run.

Send me a PM I'll take time to put you through.
I hurriedly typed this piece from the office
I wish you the very best, cheers.

Bro, kindly mail me your whatsapp digit on pelumiolugbenga@gmail.com

Meanwhile, what is the salary of a graduate lecturer(a fresh graduate that was retained)?
Re: Regrets Of A First Class Student by MiguelKingII(m): 10:10am On Oct 26, 2016
Re: Regrets Of A First Class Student by MiguelKingII(m): 10:12am On Oct 26, 2016
tola9ja:
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO NOW IS TO VOTE GMB YOU WILL NEVER REGRET BEING A FIRST CLASS STUDENT
I guess wit the look of things he now regrets a whole lot
Re: Regrets Of A First Class Student by tola9ja: 8:28pm On Oct 28, 2016
MiguelKingII:

I guess wit the look of things he now regrets a whole lot

if he dosnt see beyond his nose

1 Like

Re: Regrets Of A First Class Student by phillippians(m): 12:06am On Oct 27, 2019
jiggar:
Congrats to the op, happy for you. At least, your hard work paid off. But, you should be happy, what of those that worked very hard and still ended up with lesser grades like 2.2?. There are hundreds of reasons why some people never get to come out with first class or second-class upper. Some people just imagine or conclude that anything outside those two grades, is useless.
But, such is life, we all cannot always have everything we desire or want. Education is supposed to make us better humans and contribute to the continuous improvement of the human race and not brandishing our certificate with good grades, but adding nothing of value to people's lives.
Well, I hope you get to enjoy some of the things you missed, while you were in school. Peace.
Reading thru this I look at myself and smile, recalling the sweet memories of school life. This low grading of a thing is caused by absolute distraction especially from women in d name of boyfrd/girlfriends, campus fun Etc. I will use myself as an example, I made a 2:2 which am not very proud of, bcoz during my secondary school days I was so intelligent everyone tot I will be studying medicine and surgery. Got admitted in Microbiology and couldn't even make a First Class or 2:1 bcoz I was carried away with school fun, women are big distraction in school. I regretted keeping girls and moving with unserious Friends who only knows how to chase campus girls, dress with latest designer and shoes in d name of being a big boy, looking back it's all vanity, parents were up and doing making sure their kids get the necessary funds they need for schooling, Just to read and pass was all that was required of us yet we just go to school and do whatever we like, mtcheew! Just to read and pass!. I wish I was more serious, funny enough I was d only one who graduated amongst my hopeless friends, Imagine! they all fell into extension and abadoned their results. Please if you are yet to gain admission, be careful d type of friends u move with on campus, it determines alot how far you go, most guys who graduate with first-class or 2:1 are usually simple, more serious academically,
usually from humble backgrounds and observably do not keep girlfriends nor are they obsessed with them, and do all you can to stay away from these Jezebels called girlfriends

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ASUU Declares Indefinite Strike, See The Memo / Unizik Loses 500Level Medical Student To Death After Gas Explosion / Adeshina Aishat: OAU Final Year Student Dies, Students Protest (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.