Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,254 members, 7,829,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:01 AM

Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle (1016 Views)

The Azikiwe-Nkrumah Hall Is The Oldest Building In Lincoln University, USA (Pic) / Top Ten Oldest Universities In Africa / Meet The Oldest Student Ever (92-year-old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by liveyourlife: 8:24pm On Jan 12, 2015

GOOGLE HONORS THE LATE KIMANI MARUGE WITH A DOODLE

Today, 11 years ago, Kimani Maruge stepped into a
classroom for the first time at age 84, and Google is
commemorating the historic day with its homepage doodle
of January 12, 2015.

On January 12, 2004, Maruge enrolled in the first grade
class at Kapkenduiywo Primary School in Eldoret, Kenya,
making him the oldest person in the world to start primary
education; a feat which was officially documented in the
Guinness Book of World Records four months after.

Maruge’s enrolment was motivated by the Free Primary
Education introduced by the Mwai Kibaki administration in
2003, reports Allfrica.com, but what really began his
journey was his uncertainty about his Christian beliefs and desire to smarten up his arithmetic acumen.

“People have been telling me things in the Bible, which I do
not know if they are true,” Maruge said in 2004. “I want to
read the Holy Book for myself and find out.” In a report on
globalaging.com , Maruge said he believed he had been
cheated for a long time about his earnings and he wanted to
calculate his money.

Kimani Maruge died on August 14, 2009 having achieved
what he called his lifelong dreams. He didn’t mind picking a
world record along the way, and even 11 years later, a
space on every PC screen worldwide.
The Google Doodle is an occasional stylization of the Google
logo on its homepage to celebrate holidays, events,
achievements and people.

Source: http://techcabal.com/2015/01/12/google-honors-late-kimani-maruge-doodle/

Close with this:
If you are planning for a year, sow rice; if you are planning for a decade,
plant trees; if you are planning for a lifetime, educate people.
-Chinese Proverb

Improve your Education and that of others - Join us. Get on [url=http://][/url]

Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 12, 2015
Yeah... I got to know about maruge from the movie, the first grader. . . talk about overcoming challenges.
Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by OKUCHI11(m): 9:43pm On Jan 12, 2015
yeah The first Grader .... They told him to go and rest in peace replied .... I AM NOT DEAD
Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by 100Cents: 9:51pm On Jan 12, 2015
Chai, so he died in Primary 5 ?

May his soul RIP.

Amen.
Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by SeverusSnape(m): 11:16pm On Jan 12, 2015
He must have been very passionate about education.
Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by Abbey2sam(m): 11:22pm On Jan 12, 2015
I've watched the film made in his honour also
Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by heroarams(m): 11:55pm On Jan 12, 2015
This is news to me
Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by Jamaticulus(m): 12:17am On Jan 13, 2015
Wow...nyc one!
Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by optimiza: 8:00am On Jan 13, 2015
Yes even when the mistress told him * its not for you* ...maruge replied, I heard it myself over the radio. They said its for EVERYBODY. Indeed education is for everybody
Re: Google Honors The Oldest Student Ever -KIMANI MARUGE, With A Doodle by hahn(m): 8:14am On Jan 13, 2015
optimiza:
Yes even when the mistress told him * its not for you* ...maruge replied, I heard it myself over the radio. They said its for EVERYBODY. Indeed education is for everybody

Lovely

(1) (Reply)

2014/2015 Nigeria Agip Oil Company Scholarship Scheme / 2015 LUTH School Of Nursing Form Is Out&online.call0_07060976365 / See the Nigerian Teenager Making The country Proud Abroad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.