Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:58 PM

Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister (5624 Views)

Nigeria Will Start Exporting Yams To Europe In June 2017 – Agric Minister, Ogbeh / CBN’S N220 Billion MSME Development Fund- How To Access It. / "Goodluck Jonathan: The Farmer's President" - Agric Minister Akinwunmi Adeshina (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by Obinoscopy(m): 1:44pm On Jan 14, 2015
"There is N36.56 billion owed to Government by foreign importers of rice (and a few local ones) who wish to run their own rice policy," says Dr Akinwumi Adesina, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Adesina told media executives in Lagos on Tuesday that contrary to speculations in a section of the media, "there is no N40 billion missing, rather, there is N36.56 billion owed to Government... ".

He said that the Federal Government's policy of encouraging local production of rice, with a view to attaining self-sufficiency in the sector, was giving sleepless nights to those determined to undermine the policy.

Adesina noted that now that Nigerians have become major investors in the local rice sector, "the fear of competition... .and their unwillingness to pay to the treasury billions of Naira is what is driving a devious media campaign against the rice quota allocation".

He said that to encourage investment in local rice production and milling, the Presidency approved an import duty differential on rice (brown or polished)imported by rice investors, compared to rice traders.

"Investors that have milling capacity with verified Domestic Rice Production Plans (DRPP) enjoy an import duty of 10 per cent and levy 20 per cent, while traders will pay an import duty of 10 per cent and levy 60 per cent.

"The new rice policy also stated that importation of brown or polished rice should be limited to the national supply gap for import-grade rice to be determined by an inter-ministerial committee.

"Without waiting for the determination of supply gap by the inter-ministerial committees or issuance of quotas, two Asian companies--Popular Farms and Mills, owned by Stallion Group; and Olam, had imported 390,145.53MT and 244,126.63MT respectively, of polished rice as at December 3, 2014, at the preferential duty of 10 per cent and levy 20 per cent" .

According to the minister, Popular Farm and Mills imported 390,143MT, instead of the 89,939 approved quota and hence, liable to pay N2.2 billion as tariff on approved quota, and N17.2 billion as tariff on excess import, bringing its total indebtedness to Nigeria to N19.37 billion.

He said that on the other hand, Olam imported 244,126MT as against the 133,963 approved for it, thereby owing Nigeria N9.03 million as duty payable on both approved quota and excess import.

Adesina said that three other importers would also have to pay about N8 billion to the Federal Government on the same issues, bringing the total to N36.56 billion.

The minister said, "The national supply gap of import grade rice is expected to decline to one million MT in 2015, 0.3MT in 2016 and to zero in 2017 when the country is expected to become self-reliant in rice production."

According to the minister, it has been discovered that some of the rice importers are bagging rice produced in Nigeria, passing them as foreign, because the nation has succeeded in bridging the quality gap with good quality seedlings and adequate processing plants.

Adesina said that the government's effort in making rice and other food stuffs available locally had prevented the country from experiencing high inflation, and that the move was being applauded by foreign governments and international organisations.

(NAN)
http://allafrica.com/stories/201501140323.html

2 Likes

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by NaijaOptimist: 2:39pm On Jan 14, 2015
Everything just done anyhow...naija

Just because somebody is a friend of somebody, and bankrolls somebody political ambition means they are above the law.

FTC shaa...i made it too

Give God the glory, and thank my employer for fast internet.
Abeg make una send FTC gift wey others don collect to me too.

4 Likes

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by freethinker01: 2:39pm On Jan 14, 2015
All these people and lies. My discretion tells me those figures are exaggerated an they are all telling lies.
And I'm sure some idiots will believe this bullshit.

Smdh.

1 Like

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by LoveMEBaby(m): 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2015
Abeg who get Buhari contact>>>>>>>> I wan sell space for am
Cos Jonathan people go soon come dey comment now.
**just passing**
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by korel9: 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2015
Ok
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by kingopta(m): 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2015
here we are again exaggerating figure like they are talking to fools....please, who is deceiving who.........Scumbags

4 Likes

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by koboko69: 2:40pm On Jan 14, 2015
CLOWNS!!!! YOU ARE BEING OWED THIS MUCH AMOUNT AND NOTHING HAVE BEEN DONE ABOUT IT. MEANWHILE FG IS OWING FEDERAL CIVIL SERVANTS 3 MONTHS SALARY

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by holatin(m): 2:41pm On Jan 14, 2015
Adesina told media executives in Lagos on Tuesday
that contrary to speculations in a section of the
media, "there is no N40 billion missing, rather, there
is N36.56 billion owed to Government.

Is it today that the reported billion becomes news ?
who are they trying to fool ?
soon they will tell us the chibok gurls are never kidnapped.

but I still want to know one thing

“what happened to the
USD30billion Yar’adua left in the excess crude account
that is virtually empty now?
yeah rice importers may owe them money but the 40 billion is different from this present 36.56 billion debt

buhari for President

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by flipboss(m): 2:42pm On Jan 14, 2015
nawao
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by tiwiex(m): 2:43pm On Jan 14, 2015
plenty grammar. the song is changing. so the agriculture police has put us in a 40b defeicit. ok oh. i didn't know you could clear your good without paying. These government of voodoo economics.

5 Likes

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by DaGC(m): 2:43pm On Jan 14, 2015
Please, make sure you collect what is owed from these foreign importers.
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 14, 2015
Let them collect every penny o.

The thing be say na because them no pay we dey hear the gist.

If they had paid the money, it would have been diverted to personal pockets.

1 Like

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by lollystiver(m): 2:46pm On Jan 14, 2015
still front page Nw I feel the change buhari Na u ambode Na u APC Na oduduwa Na we

1 Like

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by loomer: 2:46pm On Jan 14, 2015
e no concern me
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by atlwireles: 2:47pm On Jan 14, 2015
When you see a performer encourage them instead of pouring insults on them.
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by uken73(m): 2:49pm On Jan 14, 2015
There is still so much money.
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by Verovera(f): 2:49pm On Jan 14, 2015
Noted
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by BashMe1(m): 2:52pm On Jan 14, 2015
This is What Corruption causes. We need change abeg angry!

3 Likes

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by seedorfg(m): 2:58pm On Jan 14, 2015
And who told you i care to be motivated....ko kan aye ooo...fyi GMB till GEJ wed nicki minaj

2 Likes

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by ifedun2: 2:59pm On Jan 14, 2015
Why are the debts always in billions?
Why are the rice importers owing this much?
I don't get all the 'grammar' but I think if there are loopholes they should be blocked asap.

1 Like

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by sammyj: 3:09pm On Jan 14, 2015
Irresponsible government, I thought they said the want to restrict importation of rice to promote local production since oga jona don revive agriculture in his transformation agenda program. I pity this country with the kind of corrupt leaders running our nations affairs. Please click like buttons to vote this currrent government and his transformation agenda out and vote in the peoples general in come Febuhari 2015!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by yinchar(m): 3:17pm On Jan 14, 2015
When such a large amount of Money is owed by your cronies it surely means it's missing to the Nigeria state, since we don't know them only you did Jona.daft.

#GMB

1 Like

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by KidProgrammer(m): 3:29pm On Jan 14, 2015
Ok..we d0n hear
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by Kx: 3:32pm On Jan 14, 2015
Under the nose of he that said stealing is not corruption, should this be an issue?
Is it not mere debt??

With Buhari, all this arrant nonsense and enriching individuals against the state will be a thing of the past.

Vote GEJ and continue to read news of this nature.
Vote GMB and put an end to this nonsense.

Sai Buhari

4 Likes

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by edababa007(m): 3:38pm On Jan 14, 2015
Money jst dey miss anyhow...abeg wey d technology wey d dumbo bin dey use curb stealing.
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by hectorswag(m): 3:40pm On Jan 14, 2015
Producing rice locally would be the best thing that would happen to Nigeria's agricultural sector. May God not grant success to those who want to hinder this development. IJN Amen!
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by 100Cents: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2015
When I hear that Nigeria has no money I laugh.

Go and check, the big companies like Dango...( complete the name) they don't pay taxes rather Federal government pays them tax calculations..( with our oil money) Hahaha..

Go figure out. We run a mumu government.

It is sweet to be a billionaire in Nigeria
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by avantegarde: 4:55pm On Jan 14, 2015
Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by englishmart(m): 5:01pm On Jan 14, 2015
Same way FG owes health workers

1 Like

Re: Rice Importers Owe FG N36.5 Billion In Unpaid Duties - Agric Minister by NovusHomo(m): 5:21pm On Jan 14, 2015
So, does this include the tons and tons of rice given by the various governors under their "Stomach Infrastructure" projects?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Needed Youth That Can Go Into Tomato,onions And Cucumber Planting In Southwest / Oil Palm Farmers Complain Of Little Government Support / Cucumber Farm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.