Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,788 members, 7,817,276 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming (6065 Views)

Pig Farming Equipment / Fish Farming Or Poultry Farming. / Snail Farming Vs Grasscutter: Which One Is More Profitable? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by SunnyJ2: 8:29am On Jan 15, 2015
Helo nairalanders, experience fish farmers and pig farmers can you share with us about those two agro venture, which of the two is better, so that we can learn from you. me and friend have gather up to 120,000 naira with with one acres of land close to a river. which of the farming is profitable that we can start with the limited budget above. thanks
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by SunnyJ2: 10:18am On Jan 15, 2015
Your respons to this thread will mean alot to us. thanks!
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by fison(m): 10:28am On Jan 15, 2015
Helo nairalanders, experience fish farmers and pig farmers can you share with us about those two agro venture, which of the two is better, so that we can learn from you. me and friend have gather up to 120,000 naira with with one acres of land close to a river. which of the farming is profitable that we can start with the limited budget above. thanks

I will suggest you go for pig farming due to limited capital@your disposal (N120k). On the other hand, fish farming is very lucrative though it requires personal commitment. Forinstance, the cost of buying a mobile fish pond: plastic, tarpaulin, or construction of earthen/concrete fish pond, the cost of feeding which takes 60 to 70% of the total money, cost of seed procurement (fingerlings), maintenance fee and other expenses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by SunnyJ2: 12:38pm On Jan 15, 2015
@Fison thank you for this wonderful contribution. i was thinking that pig farming will cost us me more, but thank God for your comment, but do you think that this money can be enough for pig farming? take for instance, we will construct pig pen, buy pigs for rearing, employ security, and buy foods for the pigs, treat them against disease. please can any one help us how to cut down start up cost?
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by Pavore9: 12:51pm On Jan 15, 2015
@SunnyJ2, with the fund available and the land located near a river, cropping would be the best option as it involves no construction that would gulp down the seed money. Calculate cost of preparing the land, seeds, labour etc and reach a decision.

2 Likes

Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by nigerfine: 1:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
In most part of Nigeria.. Security for the pigs wouldn't come in now. Pigs are not easily stolen. As pavore has said.....there are some wonders in crops production but you don't know.I have pigs and I once had fish.. Fish is so tasking.pigs....time to get to where you ought yo be.your fund is not big enough. Study some crops.. Look for a place yo rent for your pigs. If crops are chosen you raise more money for your real goals.
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by fison(m): 1:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
@Fison thank you for this wonderful contribution. i was thinking that pig farming will cost us me more, but thank God for your comment, but do you think that this money can be enough for pig farming? take for instance, we will construct pig pen, buy pigs for rearing, employ security, and buy foods for the pigs, treat them against disease. please can any one help us how to cut down start up cost?

That's the main reason why i didn't talk much on pig because I don't really have much ideas on pig but you can consider venturing into:
*Snailery: This is another lucrative business which will fetch you cool cash.. Snails are appreciated in Nigeria, and on the high side.. You can also become a supplier to hotels, fast foods.
* Planting of Tomato, Cucumber or pepper and the likes
*Vegetable (ugwu)
....Just do some feasibility studies based on that money
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by SunnyJ2: 1:19pm On Jan 15, 2015
@pavore thanks, i have tried crop farming many times, but i do not have gain, and i experience lost. due to the technical nature of crop farming, it is not easy to go into, despite the fact the cost of starting is low. any way thanks for your powerful advice.
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by SunnyJ2: 2:15pm On Jan 15, 2015
nigerfine:
In most part of Nigeria.. Security for the pigs wouldn't come in now. Pigs are not easily stolen. As pavore has said.....there are some wonders in crops production but you don't know.I have pigs and I once had fish.. Fish is so tasking.pigs....time to get to where you ought yo be.your fund is not big enough. Study some crops.. Look for a place yo rent for your pigs. If crops are chosen you raise more money for your real goals.
thanks for advice, i will research on crop farming again. thanks!
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by Pavore9: 2:22pm On Jan 15, 2015
@SunnyJ2, l do advise people to go and understudy @ a successful farm that is into what one is interested in. l personally spent a month in a strawberry farm here in Kenya learning the "ups & downs". Ask urself which crop(s) yields more @ lower cost.
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by AreaFada2: 2:34pm On Jan 15, 2015
If you're a practical/hands-on person, you can start with a few piglets. You can construct wooden pens but these would be temporary. Because it won't last.

With feeds, pigs are not too choosy but they need protein (like brewery waste) in addition to cassava waste and others to grow well. For about six moths before you can sell n get any income.

Or you can just wait and try to make it 200k before you start. Medium to long term, you stand to make more money from pigs.

Google Yemi Adeshina, a university lecturer in UK who returned to 9ja to set up a pig farm called Boyd Agro-Allied LTD in Oyo State, for tips on piggery. Many youtube videos from him too.
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by SunnyJ2: 2:49pm On Jan 15, 2015
Pavore9:
@SunnyJ2, l do advise people to go and understudy @ a successful farm that is into what one is interested in. l personally spent a month in a strawberry farm here in Kenya learning the "ups & downs". Ask urself which crop(s) yields more @ lower cost.
Wao!! indeed you are a nize guy, please can you send me tips, advice and technics of crop farming? i have visited different farms some are lossing while others are gain. those gaining are mostly the once that do not outsource expert to work for them much, the land preparation, the cultivation and planting some times, were done by them. after my findings i discover they spend less and gain more. this is my email sundayattah4u@yahoo.com should be in case you have useful info for me thanks very much.
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by SunnyJ2: 3:02pm On Jan 15, 2015
AreaFada2:
If you're a practical/hands-on person, you can start with a few piglets. You can construct wooden pens but these would be temporary. Because it won't last.

With feeds, pigs are not too choosy but they need protein (like brewery waste) in addition to cassava waste and others to grow well. For about six moths before you can sell n get any income.
Or you can just wait and try to make it 200k before you start. Medium to long term, you stand to make more money from pigs.
Google Yemi Adeshina, a university lecturer in UK who returned to 9ja to set up a pig farm called Boyd Agro-Allied LTD in Oyo State, for tips on piggery. Many youtube videos from him too.
@AreaFada2. this is a nize advice. i like the wooden option, infact it will cut down startup cost. the only majour issue now is security, because one security night another one for day. thanks very much.
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by Durosure(m): 4:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
AreaFada2:

PLS BROTHER I NEED TIPS ON PIG AND FISH FARMING
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by lagbaja(m): 6:41pm On Jan 15, 2015
I will advice you to do piggery because it is less tricky and tedious. (Fish farming requires a lot of capital investment, and the learning curve is very steep). You don't have enough money to have your own pen, your best bet is to go to oke-aro pig farm in Agege or gberigbe pig farm at Ikorodu, rent a small space and start your pig farming. You will learn a lot till you have enough resource to go and set up your own farm else where.

3 Likes

Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by SunnyJ2: 7:18pm On Jan 15, 2015
But snail farming also need security, in case of theft, but who know how many months does it takes for a baby snail to grow to full market size? i had is a very lucrative business.

1 Like

Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by AreaFada2: 1:32pm On Feb 17, 2015
ok
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by carolope(f): 9:07am On Jun 22, 2015
AreaFada2:

I am a part of what Yemi is doing (Boyd Agro Farm). Our focus is on Pig Production at this time. We currently operate from Ibadan and we have over 1200 pigs on the farm. I am in need of large scale buyers (>150 monthly) of over 55kg pigs. If you are interested, send me a PM and we can arrange a farm visit.
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by PigManLagos: 12:47pm On Jun 25, 2015
lagbaja:
I will advice you to do piggery because it is less tricky and tedious. (Fish farming requires a lot of capital investment, and the learning curve is very steep). You don't have enough money to have your own pen, your best bet is to go to oke-aro pig farm in Agege or gberigbe pig farm at Ikorodu, rent a small space and start your pig farming. You will learn a lot till you have enough resource to go and set up your own farm else where.

"A man must first count of a thing before he buildth" we are happy to advice if you get in touch. Profitability is not solely down to macro economics of any sector in agriculture.
3 things I will suggest
1. Modelling: Find where you can be tutored and mentored in pig farming. Find a farm that inspires you and seek training or work experience (offer services free if you must).
2. Draw out a long term financial plan
3. What is your marketing plan? Why should anyone buy from you? How are you going to develop awareness of your services?

others may add to this. But the first premise should not be to make money. You must be committed and passionate about whatever you do. When a man is passionate about what he does, he goes extra miles in his planning, learning and execution.

this is what seperates viable commercial pig farms fromthose who think there is qucik money to be made and are not commited

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by PigManLagos: 12:49pm On Jun 25, 2015
PigManLagos:

"A man must first count of a thing before he buildth" we are happy to advice if you get in touch. Profitability is not solely down to macro economics of any sector in agriculture.
3 things I will suggest
1. Modelling: Find where you can be tutored and mentored in pig farming. Find a farm that inspires you and seek training or work experience (offer services free if you must).
2. Draw out a long term financial plan
3. What is your marketing plan? Why should anyone buy from you? How are you going to develop awareness of your services?

others may add to this. But the first premise should not be to make money. You must be committed and passionate about whatever you do. When a man is passionate about what he does, he goes extra miles in his planning, learning and execution.

this is what seperates viable commercial pig farms fromthose who think there is qucik money to be made and are not commited

Looking for interested buyers, please visit www.pigs-nigeria.com
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by ofohchinaka: 12:23pm On Jul 15, 2015
If you are a pig farmer and have your farm in or close to Rivers State, rich Spent Grain is available for grabs at a very cheap rate. Your pigs would smile again.
Re: Pig Farming Vs Fish Farming by PigFarmTutorial: 2:03pm On Jul 10, 2016
Thanks Areafada,

My name is Yemi Adesina and I am glad that my videos has benefited lots of people.

Thanks also for referring people to it and for the feedback.

I recently just stumble on Nairaland,

Due to popular demand, I will be doing a 2 day training on pig farming on one of our farms for those who are interested.

The TV and YouTube Piggery Academy Trainer - Mr Yemi Adesina will be giving a 2 day pig training titled "Profitable Commercial Pig Farming" and it is scheduled for 16th to 17th of July 2016 and 29th to 30th October 2016 in Ibadan.

The 2 days training will be carried out on our farm along Ibadan Abeokuta Road and will be handled by Mr Yemi Adesina himself and his operation manager and you will also have opportunity to have a 20 minutes one to one session with him.

Due to popular demand for this training the number of space left is fast going so you will need to confirm your interest by replying back via emaill on yemiadesina@hotmail.co.uk or call 0803 918 2732 to book or to make payment for the training.

If you are new to pig farming and would like to know how to start a successful pig farm Or you are already a pig farmer but you would like to turn pig farming into a full time business – commercial pig farming, this is a golden opportunity for you.

Mr Yemi Adesina’s video has been watched by more than 500,000 people in over 80 countries and he has featured in many TV programmes on pig production in Nigeria.

Piggery Academy -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6WVv_Jg5U8

Why not come along, find out more and learn about pig farming from the expert.

The maximum number of participants for each of these training is 12 participants at a time and it is on first come first serve basis

Due to popular demand for this training the number of space left is fast going so you will need to confirm your interest by replying back via emaill on yemiadesina@hotmail.co.uk or call 0803 918 2732 to book or to make payment for the training.

Please confirm via email if you will be able to make this training and more information will be supplied unto you regarding the venue and the payment.
N35,000 per participants.

Below are the topics that will be covered during the 2 day training
Regards
Mr Tola Adesina
> Day 1
> Morning session – why raise pigs
> 1. Introduction
> 2. Worldwide Pig Production
> 3. Is pig farming profitable ~the economics of pig production
> 4. Benefits of pig farming
> Afternoon session - Starting a pig farm
> 1. Locating a pig farm
> 2. Planning and constructing a pig farm
> 3. Different housing for different stages of pig production

> Practical
> 1. Handling and restraining pigs
> 2. Feeding pigs
> 3. How to carry daily pig farm inspection
> 4. Detecting heat in sow
> 5. Bio security on a pig farm>

Day 2 Morning session
1. Selecting pigs>
2. Transporting pigs to your farm
3. Care and management of weaners
4. Daily Farm Hygiene
> Afternoon session
1. Breeding – Heat detection
2. Boar management
3. Managing pregnancy
4. Managing Farrowing
5. Feed management & Economics of Feed Formulation
Practical
> 1 Cleaning pig pen
> 2. Deworming pigs
> 3. Teeth clipping
> 4. Mating pigs

Handout and DVD Videos will be given to each participants

Lunch is also inclusive but participants will need to make arrangement for their accommodation for the one night .
We will be glad to give you details of hotels that are available in the area.
We look forward to meeting with you

Regards

(1) (Reply)

Macropropagated Plantain Suckers, The Elite Planting Materials (pictures) / You Can Now Order Polystyrene/Styrofoam Boxes and Sheets Products From Us / Advanced Animal Feeds Formulation Software - Solving Farmers Challenges

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.