Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,728 members, 7,820,520 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Green House Farming - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Green House Farming (29625 Views)

Green House Agronomist / Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. / How I Constructed My Green House with pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Green House Farming by Pavore9: 8:29am On Jan 26, 2015
Once we can locally assemble a greenhouse @ a far lower cost, what we can achieve is endless. Imagine inside it vegetables such as lettuce, cabbage, cucumber are growing well. Whatever is the initial cost will worth it at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Re: Green House Farming by Ayoolanairaland: 10:06am On Jan 26, 2015
Re: Green House Farming by innovationafrik: 12:59pm On Jan 26, 2015
please see how to build a cheap greenhouse, open the link below

https://www.nairaland.com/2114186/how-set-up-cheap-greenhouse
Re: Green House Farming by lanre2009: 4:41pm On Jan 26, 2015
Is anyone here involved in the planting of Cauliflower....I would like to learn how it's cultivated. Here is the photo. Thanks

Re: Green House Farming by Pavore9: 4:55pm On Jan 26, 2015
lanre2009:
Is anyone here involved in the planting of Cauliflower....I would like to learn how it's cultivated. Here is the photo. Thanks
l doubt how many Nigerians are into it as it is seen as "oyibo" vegetable!

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming by SAOL: 3:15am On May 07, 2015
Pavore9:

It is farming under a confined controlled environment as against the traditional open field farming. The structure can be made of glass or polythene covers depending on availability and cost of materials. These structure ranges in size. lt is not a new technology as it started way back in the 13th Century in Italy before it spread.

Various crops are grown in a greenhouse including cucumber, flowers, tomatoes, capsicum, strawberry etc Generally crops grown in a greenhouse should be of high value returns comparative to its high cost of construction. With greenhouse farming a farmer can get more yield per unit area of land, easier control of pests and diseases, prolonged production period, efficient water utilization, low cost of labour (that is spraying, weeding and watering) High quality of crop produce. timely crop production, less exposure to chemical toxin.

There are also challenges of greenhouse farming as the high initial cost of investments to set up one and high level of greenhouse management skill is required.

Truth is that greenhouse farming is usually seen as the exclusive of big time farmers because of the high cost of construction but there are low cost greenhouse which are constructed with locally available materials and this can last up to 10 years.

For a low cost greenhouse measuring 24ft by 45ft, l believe N180,000 can cover the cost of construction especially if you are in the rural area as one can utilize the wood from the trees around, get nails, condemned engine oil (will prevent the wooden materials from insect infestation), black tarpaulin (would be wrapped at the base of standing post), insect netting (to enable circulation and prevent insects from entering the green house). poly cover (200 micro greenhouse cover)

It involves 2 stages, the first involves setting up the structure which involves setting up of the frame and the second is covering with insect netting and greenhouse cover, Tired of typing it is almost 6a,m my time here and l have an early day. Let me just post pictures to give you idea of what the process looks like.

NOTE: One must personally be on the field to learn how to construct it and if you acquire this skill you can easily plant even STRAWBERRY without soil inside the greenhouse by way of Aquaponics as the Reverend Sisters l work with have greenhouses they built by themselves each measuring 24ft by 90ft and in each they have fish ponds which has about 10,000 catfish and the waste wate from the fish pond is what feeds the strawberry to grow without soil, growing on PVC pipes and they harvest about 1000kg of strawberry every month from each greenhouse.

Signing off!

Hi Pavore9
I will like more info from you on how the sisters were able to install the aquaphonics system as I believe it requires a 'recycling of water', ie from the fish pond to the strawberries and back to the fish pond.
I would appreciate more info on how this can b set up in Nigeria given the constraints we have with electricity.
How can I reach u?
Many thanks
Re: Green House Farming by Pavore9: 8:46am On May 07, 2015
SAOL:

Hi Pavore9
I will like more info from you on how the sisters were able to install the aquaphonics system as I believe it requires a 'recycling of water', ie from the fish pond to the strawberries and back to the fish pond.
I would appreciate more info on how this can b set up in Nigeria given the constraints we have with electricity.
How can I reach u?
Many thanks

lt involves re-circulation. The waste water from the pond is dumped in an underground tank from where it is pumped every 4hrs to supply the strawberries planted in the PVC pipes. lt filters through the stones at the root of the strawberries, by then it has collected the nutrients from the fishpond waste water and purified it and they are collected through the pipes at the base of the PVC towers (where the strawberries are being grown) and dumps into another underground tank from where the purified water now free from ammonia, full of oxygen and when the water in the tank gets to a certain level it pumps to feed the fish pond. For the 24ft by 90ft aquaponic farm they use 50,000 litres of water all year round introducing only about 200 litres of water into the system on a monthly basis.

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming by sheyi86: 9:59am On May 07, 2015
pavore9 longtime i miss u o
Re: Green House Farming by Pavore9: 11:40am On May 07, 2015
sheyi86:
pavore9 longtime i miss u o

l am back my brother! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Green House Farming by sheyi86: 12:55pm On May 07, 2015
Pavore9:

To God be the glory.
Re: Green House Farming by iyomomo(f): 12:43pm On May 08, 2015
Pavore9:

Pls my dear brother what kind of polythene sheet was used in covering d green house? Wont it be hot inside? Do utthink it is accessible in naija or it ls a special kind?
Re: Green House Farming by Pavore9: 2:04pm On May 09, 2015
iyomomo:

Pls my dear brother what kind of polythene sheet was used in covering d green house? Wont it be hot inside? Do utthink it is accessible in naija or it ls a special kind?

lt is 200 micro greenhouse cover, remember it requires side netting that helps in controlling the atmosphere inside.
Re: Green House Farming by iyomomo(f): 2:25pm On May 09, 2015
Pavore9:

lt is 200 micro greenhouse cover, remember it requires side netting that helps in controlling the atmosphere inside.
Ok thanks for ur response.
Do u know if we can get it here in naija?
Or can it be ordered for cheaply from ur end
Re: Green House Farming by Pavore9: 2:34pm On May 09, 2015
iyomomo:

Ok thanks for ur response.
Do u know if we can get it here in naija?
Or can it be ordered for cheaply from ur end

l am not conversant with what is obtainable in Nigeria. lt is readily available here but cost of sending things down to Nigeria is too expensive!
Re: Green House Farming by adelekeniola(m): 6:40pm On May 09, 2015
Pavore9:

l am not conversant with what is obtainable in Nigeria. lt is readily available here but cost of sending things down to Nigeria is too expensive!

We need local route of agricultural supplies. Pls, help us get cheap, fast, easy way to get supplies.
Pavore9:

We need local route of agricultural supplies. Pls, help us get cheap, fast, easy way to get supplies.
Re: Green House Farming by Pavore9: 7:07pm On May 09, 2015
adelekeniola:

l can authoritatively tell you that there is no cheaper means as at today but bringing in things from Lagos to Nairobi through igbo traders network is N800 per kg which covers shipping and clearing at the airport, you just go to their shop here and pick your cargo but from Nairobi to Nigeria is a no go area in terms of cost unless you have someone who is flying to Nigeria.
Re: Green House Farming by iyomomo(f): 7:59am On May 10, 2015
Pavore9:

Oook i see, thanks For ur time
Re: Green House Farming by Pavore9: 9:48am On May 10, 2015
iyomomo:

Oook i see, thanks For ur time

You are welcome.
Re: Green House Farming by Nobody: 11:38am On May 10, 2015
Hi Pavore i like to say kudos to you and more grease to your elbow.
pls i need more enlightment concerning the aquaphonic system, can you just help me out by sending me a mail @ oladipupoibrahimoia@gmail.com
Re: Green House Farming by Kinsol007(m): 8:28pm On May 22, 2015
SAOL:

Hi Pavore9
How can I reach u?
Many thanks

It is better to start an aquaponic system small ( backyard) or else one will run into great trouble trying to start on commercial level. It's a good project which am into

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Green House Farming by kolafas1: 12:24am On Jul 07, 2015
Pls house how does pollination take place in greenhouse when everywhere is covered?... or do u have to keep bees inside too?
Re: Green House Farming by mekussays: 2:32pm On Aug 06, 2015
Hi Contributors

Really appreciate all this information. As they say information is key.

Please why do we need to grow cucumber in green house.

Japser's cucumber farm in Owerri is not a greenhouse but seems to be thriving
Re: Green House Farming by Efakwu: 3:10pm On Aug 06, 2015
nice topic
Re: Green House Farming by Newway2(m): 2:21am On Jan 01, 2016
Can you share your experinces here for the benefit of everybody? This will go a long way towards removing the myth that only "Oyinbo" fit do am.

Kinsol007:

It is better to start an aquaponic system small ( backyard) or else one will run into great trouble trying to start on commercial level. It's a good project which am into
Re: Green House Farming by Ebyokoro: 6:30am On Jan 02, 2016
I'm very impressed with what I am seeing here. please pavore9 I will need your email address so we can talk more on this greenhouse and aquaponics system. I am planning on coming to Kenya but I wouldn't know where to start so I really need to talk to you. my email is ebyokoro@gmail.com. cheers!
Re: Green House Farming by Ebyokoro: 6:31am On Jan 02, 2016
Pavore9:

l can authoritatively tell you that there is no cheaper means as at today but bringing in things from Lagos to Nairobi through igbo traders network is N800 per kg which covers shipping and clearing at the airport, you just go to their shop here and pick your cargo but from Nairobi to Nigeria is a no go area in terms of cost unless you have someone who is flying to Nigeria.

I'm very impressed with what I am seeing here.
please pavore9 I will need your email address so
we can talk more on this greenhouse and
aquaponics system. I am planning on coming to
Kenya but I wouldn't know where to start so I really
need to talk to you. my email is
ebyokoro@gmail.com. cheers!
Re: Green House Farming by abdulumar: 7:27pm On Feb 13, 2016
Ebyokoro:

I'm very impressed with what I am seeing here.
please pavore9 I will need your email address so
we can talk more on this greenhouse and
aquaponics system. I am planning on coming to
Kenya but I wouldn't know where to start so I really
need to talk to you. my email is
ebyokoro@gmail.com. cheers!

Aquaponics

Re: Green House Farming by baley(m): 7:31am On Feb 16, 2016
mchuxx:

check your spam folder as well
. Pls send it too me. My mail is sulyballe2013@gmail.com
Re: Green House Farming by naniboi: 9:50am On May 02, 2016
@mchuxx please I am interested in the info and proposal please here is my e-mail nnanna4@yahoo.com. I appreciate the effort.
Re: Green House Farming by Georgeoye: 2:48pm On May 24, 2016
@mchuxx please send me the proposal: georgeoye2002@yahoo.com
Re: Green House Farming by ijames: 3:18pm On May 24, 2016
Georgeoye:
@mchuxx please send me the proposal: georgeoye2002@yahoo.com
please send me quotation eiyerejames@gmail.com
Re: Green House Farming by Icocop101(m): 8:05am On May 27, 2016
Great Thread! Pls, i need the Proposal and quotation too @mchuxx. My email: icocop101@gmail.com. Thanks!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Releases Census Of Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Other Livestocks In Country / ... / How Can I Grow My Plantain And Banana Trees Faster? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.