Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,093 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem (9070 Views)

Accord 2007 V6, Stiff Steering. / Advice On Toyota Camry 2007 V6 / Golf 4 Automatic Transmission Problem Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:17pm On Feb 12, 2015
Kashif get a multimeter, get. Second person, extend the wires of your multimeter till they get to the tcm set to continuity, run thru all the transsmision connectors that go to the tcm. This involves removing the socket from the tcm. Don't forget to dissconnect battery terminals.

If all all the connections checkout then 3 things might be involved

1. Possibly a faulty tcm
2. Possibly a faulty transmission
3. Witchcraft.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by IdaraCHODB(m): 12:47am On Feb 13, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Kashif get a multimeter, get. Second person, extend the wires of your multimeter till they get to the tcm set to continuity, run thru all the transsmision connectors that go to the tcm. This involves removing the socket from the tcm. Don't forget to dissconnect battery terminals.

If all all the connections checkout then 3 things might be involved

1. Possibly a faulty tcm
2. Possibly a faulty transmission
3. Witchcraft.

Get either Mastech Digital Multimeter, MS8261 Series (good enough/cheap) or Fluke 115 Compact True-RMS Digital Multimeter (professional level/costly)

In one sentence, since I didn't have the above, and I didn't know where to get them original locally, I had to sublet the repair
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 9:22am On Feb 13, 2015
I have a good multimeter, but it is in the car, and the car is far from me at the moment. Something must happen this weekend anyways!
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 6:57pm On Feb 13, 2015
After all the attempts, the new tech has come up with a verdict: Seller should send another transmission! angry sad shocked I really love the sound of this transmission. Still don't know why this should happen.

There is a twist as I have today discovered: Seller sourced from a primary seller, as he did not have it in stock. Primary seller claims his transmission was in good condition. story for the gods!!!

Very funny this seller might even have the transmission, but because it did not come from a Rav4, 'he does not have it'.

Tomorrow would be snake in the monkey shadow reloaded!
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:16pm On Feb 13, 2015
You are making progress.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:20pm On Feb 13, 2015
Where is your car located?
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 10:40pm On Feb 13, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Where is your car located?

Festac Lagos.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 4:35pm On Feb 14, 2015
Another transmisson is being installed at the moment. With this my experience, I am inclined to train as an auto transmission rebuild expert. Can't understand why there is none in Lagos.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:30pm On Feb 14, 2015
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by mayor2013: 10:04pm On Feb 14, 2015
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 9:33am On Feb 16, 2015
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 9:34am On Feb 16, 2015
mayor2013:

grin

back to gloat?
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 3:51pm On Feb 16, 2015
Another transmission installed, and problem persists. This has been narrowed down to the TCM.

I really regret the death of the first replacement transmission. A very sweet box cry

Now, I need to get where this vehicle is!!

Any idea how much this ECU costs?
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:02pm On Feb 16, 2015
Kashif:
Another transmission installed, and problem persists. This has been narrowed down to the TCM.

I really regret the death of the first replacement transmission. A very sweet box cry

Now, I need to get where this vehicle is!!

Any idea how much this ECU costs?

Brand new or toks?
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 4:34pm On Feb 16, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Brand new or toks?

Both.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by chillex8(m): 6:10pm On Feb 16, 2015
Kashif:

Both.

Kabolee to your rescue
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 8:55pm On Feb 18, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Brand new or toks?

GAZZ, I need to speak to you urgently. Your line is off.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:57am On Feb 19, 2015
Kashif:

GAZZ, I need to speak to you urgently. Your line is off.

On now
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Inception(m): 4:01pm On Feb 20, 2015
Hello bro,
Have you performed the ECU swap? and if yes did it solve the problem?
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 4:38pm On Feb 20, 2015
Nope it did not. I asked the tech to stop when it became obvious he was grappling with the issue. My ECU was reprgramed and re-installed. The test drive went well. I need to flog the vehicle on extended highway before establishing my satisfaction.

Worthy of mention is that I noticed one or two functional restorations already.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Inception(m): 9:32am On Feb 25, 2015
Guess the ride is better now cheesy cheesy

or is isnt? cry cry
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 6:16am On Mar 06, 2015
Inception:
Guess the ride is better now cheesy cheesy
or is isnt? cry cry

Its good now.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Inception(m): 7:55am On Mar 06, 2015
Kashif:

Its good now.
wow, congrats bro.

then most likely it was the brainbox? or poor electrical connections?
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Coldplay007(f): 7:37am On Mar 07, 2015
Kashif:

Its good now.

Can you tell us how it was resolved?

1 Like

Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 10:44am On Mar 07, 2015
It was more of electrical connection. I believe the supposed corrosion at the connector was the culprit. The mechanic mistook the initial learning process for malfunction, and called for ECU replacement. The replacement ECU did not fare any better so mine was reinstalled.

The test drive went well, and that was it. My ECU reprogramming fixed my one touch up window control, and LTPMS malfunction. The vehicle was away for six weeks!

1 Like

Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by blessedjohny4u: 5:38pm On Jul 08, 2015
@kashif running a scan on that vehicle would have been the first thing to do this would have given you more insights as to why your transmission fluid got burn because that doesn't just happen.

As for rebuilding your transmission, YES IT CAN WORK. but under one condition. DO YOU HAVE O.E.M REPLACEMENT PARTS AVAILABLE? if you do then carry on.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 7:34pm On Jul 08, 2015
blessedjohny4u:
@kashif running a scan on that vehicle would have been the first thing to do this would have given you more insights as to why your transmission fluid got burn because that doesn't just happen.

As for rebuilding your transmission, YES IT CAN WORK. but under one condition. DO YOU HAVE O.E.M REPLACEMENT PARTS AVAILABLE? if you do then carry on.

Can you throw more light on the bolded?

1 Like

Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Desmied(m): 11:25am On Jan 16, 2016
@Kashif.
Firstly, I will say that reading your post here enticed me to join Nairaland.
I was highly touched by the pains you passed through just to put your car in order. While in a different country I experienced gearbox problem in my car, having changed gearbox 2 times in a year I gave up and sold my car in a throw-away price just to save myself from the anger. After that my second, third and forth cars all went fine without any gearbox problem before I sold them.

I just bought 2007 Toyota Rav4 V6 with low mileage and recently I had one problem (Car won't start) so I was searching online and found out that MANY in USA had the same problems (From 2006 to 2010 Rav4 models) which is the fault of Toyota which has to do with the "Neutral Start Switch Assembly" the small trick to temporary solve the problem is "push the gear from neutral to parking then start" but maybe you are lucky your car neutral safety switch was changed in USA before you bought it.......refer to:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2006/INTERMITTENT_NO_CRANK_NO_START_T-SB-0348-09.pdf

Another problem you may experience is the battery, the battery life in Rav4 (2006 to 2010) does not last long because it has many electrical burden on it even the power steering depends on the battery. In most cases it dies within 2 years (Experience from others).

>>>>>>>You are the first person that I am learning this gearbox problem from and it made me worried as I would like to keep this car after using it. From your experience it shows that the gearbox is not really the problem but the electrical. Well if you have more to share from that your experience I will be much glad to learn so If in any case (I don't pray for that) I encounter such a problem in future I will know how to tackle it because many mechanics may not have a clue....As I said you are the first person that I am learning this problem from but doesn't mean that you are the only person who had such problem, just that I never make time to search google about: 2007 Toyota Rav4 Transmission Problems.

MY ADVICE: Whenever you had such kind of problem in your car, Spend your time to search the problem in GOOGLE and you can learn from many who has experienced such a problem because the problem must have been in existence before you.

You should have Car Diagnostic tool to scan your car for error codes, don't always rush to mechanic because most of them in Naija work by guessing "It maybe this, it maybe that, change it" at the end the problem will not be solved and money wasted.

Planning to visit Naija soon, I just need to buy some of those tools (Multimeter, OBD2 scanner & so on) at least I could know the problem of my car before calling a mechanic to fix it. I hate when they work by guessing because the more they guess the problem of your car and tell you to change what is not even the problem causing unnecessary waste of money.

Rgds.[color=#550000][/color]
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Desmied(m): 11:28am On Jan 16, 2016
@Kashif.
I was highly touched by the pains you passed through just to put your car in order. While in a different country I experienced gearbox problem in my car, having changed gearbox 2 times in a year I gave up and sold my car in a throw-away price just to save myself from the anger. After that my second, third and forth cars all went fine without any gearbox problem before I sold them.

I just bought 2007 Toyota Rav4 V6 with low mileage and recently I had one problem (Car won't start) so I was searching online and found out that MANY in USA had the same problems (From 2006 to 2010 Rav4 models) which is the fault of Toyota which has to do with the "Neutral Start Switch Assembly" the small trick to temporary solve the problem is "push the gear from neutral to parking then start" but maybe you are lucky your car neutral safety switch was changed in USA before you bought it.......refer to:

http://www.rav4world.com/tsb/2006/INTERMITTENT_NO_CRANK_NO_START_T-SB-0348-09.pdf

Another problem you may experience is the battery, the battery life in Rav4 (2006 to 2010) does not last long because it has many electrical burden on it even the power steering depends on the battery. In most cases it dies within 2 years (Experience from others).

>>>>>>>You are the first person that I am learning this gearbox problem from and it made me worried as I would like to keep this car after using it. From your experience it shows that the gearbox is not really the problem but the electrical. Well if you have more to share from that your experience I will be much glad to learn so If in any case (I don't pray for that) I encounter such a problem in future I will know how to tackle it because many mechanics may not have a clue....As I said you are the first person that I am learning this problem from but doesn't mean that you are the only person who had such problem, just that I never make time to search google about: 2007 Toyota Rav4 Transmission Problems.

MY ADVICE: Whenever you had such kind of problem in your car, Spend your time to search the problem in GOOGLE and you can learn from many who has experienced such a problem because the problem must have been in existence before you.

You should have Car Diagnostic tool to scan your car for error codes, don't always rush to mechanic because most of them in Naija work by guessing "It maybe this, it maybe that, change it" at the end the problem will not be solved and money wasted.

Planning to visit Naija soon, I just need to buy some of those tools (Multimeter, OBD2 scanner & so on) at least I could know the problem of my car before calling a mechanic to fix it. I hate when they work by guessing because the more they guess the problem of your car and tell you to change what is not even the problem causing unnecessary waste of money.

Rgds.
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 4:05pm On Jan 19, 2016
Desmied:
@Kashif.

Rgds.

Nice delivery. I am aware of all the electrical load on this vehicle - it varies with the trim. I have recently disabled the DRL; not just because of the load, but because I dont like it. Certainly, somebody else has experienced that problem, and it points to one direction - TCM reset. After digging, I have found that replacement of this transmission, ECU, valve body, and some solenoids require that the TCM be reset! It is annoying if you ask me but, that's the way it is. I also do not like the TCM calibration. I have the tool now, but I do not want to risk reprogramming the ECU (yet).

The no crank issue you experienced is a quick fix, and should not take resources. The car is strong, and reliable. What vehicle did you have to change the transmission twice in a year?
Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Desmied(m): 9:58pm On May 27, 2016
@Kashif.

Rgds.
Desmied

Kashif:

Nice delivery. I am aware of all the electrical load on this vehicle - it varies with the trim. I have recently disabled the DRL; not just because of the load, but because I dont like it. Certainly, somebody else has experienced that problem, and it points to one direction - TCM reset. After digging, I have found that replacement of this transmission, ECU, valve body, and some solenoids require that the TCM be reset! It is annoying if you ask me but, that's the way it is. I also do not like the TCM calibration. I have the tool now, but I do not want to risk reprogramming the ECU (yet).

The no crank issue you experienced is a quick fix, and should not take resources. The car is strong, and reliable. What vehicle did you have to change the transmission twice in a year?

@Kashif.
My brother! sorry for late response. I have not really checked here for long as I was hoping that I will get notification via my email whenever you reply. Ok, Very happy to read your response..........Like I said previously that I am new here so I need to figure out how it works, hope you can see my first post? or maybe I should repost it again (already done that).

You disabled the DRL? Does it make any difference to the battery load? I think it needs more than that. Unlike you, I like DRL but not fog light (Most DRL I have used, will automatically put on when I start the vehicle and will go off when car is off, Fog light I have to switch on/off manually which I do not like because I always forget to put it off). I will also like to install Car Dvr Rearview Mirror; pic attached here (I love it mostly for GPS, rotatable Camera, voice record and packing camera) Do you think this will cause more load to the battery? Is there any high capacity battery that you may suggest that will carry the whole loads comfortably and still last normal?

I guessed you have used your RAV4 for more than a year, have you noticed anything with the tires fading faster than normal? What is your opinion on that?

AS U SAID: The no crank issue you experienced is a quick fix, and should not take resources. HOW

Your question: What vehicle did you have to change the transmission twice in a year? It is "Proton WIRA 1.6 1996" I bought the vehicle in the year 2009 with low mileage, excellent body, clean interior and sound engine but I changed gearbox twice in a year until I gave up. If you search google the problem of its gearbox is general, unfortunately I didn't search internet before I became a victim.

How about that gearbox you were fixing then? I mean the one you bought some kits from US to work it by yourself? Did you finally fix it?

Thanks.
Desmied

Re: Rav4 2007 V6 Transmission Problem by Kashif(m): 10:01am On May 28, 2016
I disabled the DRL basically because I don't like it. Second, it will put less load on the battery, and improve lamp longevity. The electronics you plan to install will increase your electrical load by a margins I cannot readily estimate.

I completed the rebuild, but it is untested. At the time of rebuild, I did not air- check the clutches because I did not have the means. Now I do, will have to do it again.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Assembles 10,673 Vehicles In One Year / How To Protect Your Car’s Interior / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Anti-lock Fuse Or Relay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.