Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:39 AM

Does Water Break The Fast? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does Water Break The Fast? (65101 Views)

Cases That Break And Do Not Break The Fast. And Solutions To All Ur Answers / God Is Going To Break The Yoke Of Unemployment Heal The Sick In This Crusade. / Is It Appropriate To Break The Air(mess) While Praying? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Creamychic(f): 4:04pm On Jan 18, 2015
EdDave:
I believe the idea of fasting is to deprive the body of cravings enough for your soul to be spiritually nourished. Not to do what everybody is doing. I know someone who died cause he was dry fasting for 30 days and he had ulcer.

I m on a 21 day fast and I break it by 12pm cause I m on a very tight work schedule. During this period, NOTHING enters my mouth. Then i prefer bananas afterwards.
Two issues that have plagued me for yrs have jst vanished since i started the fast.

Whatever you decide to do during your fasting is between you and your God. It is not a competition or show of willpower.
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Bigwig1: 4:21pm On Jan 18, 2015
starlingbawa:
I really cannot say which is spiritually correct. For me personally, I brush my mouth at 05:30am, then drink half a can of water before 06:00. After that, 'NOTHING' touches my tongue till 6pm.

That's the way I observe fasting and what I believe as real fasting too.

I don't know if this helps explain it in a little way?
As for me I just got to know last week dat water doesn't break fast. Buh normally I should b frm 12am to 12pm,3pm or 6 pm. U can brush anytime not necessarily bfor 6am

1 Like

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by KoloOyinbo(m): 4:54pm On Jan 18, 2015
Do what feels right for you and what you wish to do for God.

Do NOT listen to those Pharisees who will impose THEIR rules onto you, otherwise we will end up arguing about how many angels can fit onto the head of a pin or some other rubbish like that.

Christianity is about our relationship with God not about following some mindless rules interpreted by some man.

2 Likes

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jan 18, 2015
starlingbawa:

Did you read the other posts before arriving at your oblique comment

Well, if you didn't, then i'd suggest you painstakingly do so. And if you did, then it's a case of 'assimilation'.

c as u dey blow grammar for me......only if u knew dat i was only trying to tell u....so dat u will knw.....anyways...i comment my reserve
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Wcole(m): 5:19pm On Jan 18, 2015
Heaven on Earth greetings to everybody. With my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, drinking water on empty stomach increases your level of hunger. Because water aids digestion, so the little food substance in your stomach will digest and you get hungry shortly after drinking water.
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by nora544: 5:36pm On Jan 18, 2015
Wcole:
Heaven on Earth greetings to everybody. With my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, drinking water on empty stomach increases your level of hunger. Because water aids digestion, so the little food substance in your stomach will digest and you get hungry shortly after drinking water.

sorry that is not tru, people need water and when the body didnot have enought water the blood gets thick, and that can give you health problems.

People can survive with only water, for more than 40 days but when you have only bread and no water you cannot survive 40 days.

2 Likes

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by starlingbawa(m): 7:25pm On Jan 18, 2015
duduhemit36:

c as u dey blow grammar for me......only if u knew dat i was only trying to tell u....so dat u will knw.....anyways...i comment my reserve

You re a lively fellow I guess? I greet you smiley

Cheers!!!
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by sigmundfreud(m): 7:26pm On Jan 18, 2015
No biblical reference to support this but I don't think water is right when its a fast that you will break the same day. Yes, I have fasted and drank water before, you can't go on fasting for several days and night without water.
The whole point of fasting is depriving yourself of basic desires...and I think water is one of them. If you are at liberty to take water when thirsty, you might as well add sugar undecided
On the timing, 12a.m or 6a.m?
I tell myself years back that fasting starts when I wake up, which was very convenient as am kinda nocturnal. And all kind of things we tell ourselves just to make the burden lighter. Now its strictly 12am till 6pm...or 3pm with good reasons and no water.
Whatever you decide to do let your conscience judge you and the Spirit guide you.

1 Like

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by chubbypearl(f): 12:29am On Jan 19, 2015
elOnuh:
I actually brought dis up because of what i went throu yesterday. went for an interview yesday n had it after 3-4hrs of waiting. On my way home, i was so tasting dat i almost called pure water seller bt stopd wen realised i ws fasting. On reaching home, my body,my throat all longed for water bt my mind cudnt push me for it because i was scared it cud b a break of it. I had wanted to go with wat a friend once said: 'water doesn't break d fast' bt stl dnt hv d nerve for it. Thats Y am here for answers. Believe u me, i got more than i expected frm u guz. U didnt jst shade light bt enrich me with d right knowledge to pass across. I appreciate u all. God wl increase in u beyond ur expectation. Gratitude!!!
And thank you for asking because i also learnt a lot and also thanks to the contributors for sharing
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by matrixme(m): 2:38am On Jan 19, 2015
ayoku777:

The goal of a bible fast is to afflict the soul and mortify lust and carnality through the help of the Spirit, as you seek God to behold His glory.

Drinking water (only water) during a fast does not nullify that goal. Calories comfort carnal cravings and taste fuel fleshy lust.

Water is tasteless and calorie-less. So it doesn't sabotage the work of a fast on the soul. But anything with calories and/or taste (whether solid or liquid) breaks the fast and converts it to dieting.

As I ♥ to say:

Fasting without prayer is hunger strike; and fasting with anything besides water only is dieting.

So NO, water doesn't break your fast or sabotage its goal.

Hope this helps.
what of drinking sugar dissolved in water? does that imply breaking of fast tooo?
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by EdDave(m): 3:38am On Jan 19, 2015
bosun11:

break by 12pm? isn't that too early..how many minutes will you use to pray then?
I pray in the early mornings and at every hour throughout the day. Jst because i start eating doesnt mean i stop praying.

Man shall not live by bread alone.

1 Like

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Danosophe(m): 4:32pm On Jan 19, 2015
The essence of "Fasting and Praying" is to get oneself to be in "Spiritual" synch with "Divinity." Fasting without Praying, Listening to and Studying God's Word is hunger strike. Fasting does not entails the denial of oneself from food only but also means denial from certain activitiz and chats that will corrupt the process. Now drinking water; which does not contain any calorie, during a "Fast" does not corrupt the process or aim. One should only take water to quench taste and reduce the effect of one's digestive juice; HCL, in the stomach whose aim is to digest food materials. When there's no food material to digest in the stomach, the juice begins to digest the walls of the stomach thereby resulting to "ulcer." Water should be taken during "Fast" but not in excess to quench "hunger."

2 Likes

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by L2CD766: 11:51am On Jan 20, 2015
Setaje:
I really don't understand Christians that fast from 6a.m. Maybe because of the way I was brought up. 12 midnight is the start of a new day. So if I am fasting till 3 or 6, it's gonna be 12 midnight to 6 pm that day. But eating before 6 a.m seems like u don chop for that day o. I grew up thinking that's the normal way of fasting for christians till I noticed that many Christians do 6am to 3 pm or there about.

Strange. Secondly, if the reason for ur fast is very very important. Water go be like piss for ur eye. I remember my sister did 3 days fasting. She did not eat for 3 days nor bath nor brush her teeth. She did not come out to d sun. Her prayers were answered as fast as lightning........
no vex which kain prayer be dat

1 Like

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Setaje(f): 12:00pm On Jan 20, 2015
L2CD766:

no vex which kain prayer be dat

Omo na the real dry fasting be that. It works like magic
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by L2CD766: 12:02pm On Jan 20, 2015
Setaje:

Omo na the real dry fasting be that. It works like magic
nawa oohh, i have never actually prayed for anything in my life, asides praying for my maths teacher to forget his bulala grin

1 Like

Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by eldefred: 12:31pm On Mar 31, 2016
how can one do 72 hrs fast without water.u are nt even priviledged to pray as expected during fsating in a public office and finally if u ar not suppose to drink water during this fast,what happens wen u brush ur mouth while fasting?cant any drop of water go down ur throat?
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by GracedFavour(f): 2:13pm On Jan 25, 2017
please i broke my fast intentionally on the 14th day, was heading for 20days fast. Can I continue ? or should I start afresh?
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 25, 2017
wilderness... does it ring...

though might not necessarily be a desert... but according to the holy book...

When Moses took the Israelites into the wilderness, they were thirsty and hungry. Moses, in faith, prayed for God to sustain them,

also the case of Jesus.. he was led by the spirit into a wilderness..

In both wilderness stories, the wilderness has many functions. It serves as a place of barrenness and hunger, source of nourishment from God, a location for God’s testing and revelation, and a context for the transformation for God’s people.

now fasting with water.. doesnt identify you with that wilderness context (dry).. cox its significance is the absence of food or water..

Luke 5:33.
And they said unto him, Why do the disciples of John fast often, and make prayers, and likewise the disciples of the Pharisees; but thine eat and drink?.

notice that word drink.. your question is settled...

well whatever you do...

YOLO
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jan 25, 2017
GracedFavour:
please i broke my fast intentionally on the 14th day, was heading for 20days fast. Can I continue ? or should I start afresh?

fvnny..
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Triplehoney: 9:02am On Jun 22, 2018
hanks for the message s and the comments,I think water during fasting is not bad and from health point of view, dehydration could set in on and the main objective of d fasting could be defeated,only d living can fast
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Triplehoney: 9:07am On Jun 22, 2018
Thanks for the comments,I think water during fasting is not bad and from health point of view, dehydration could set in and the main objective of d fasting could be defeated,only d living can fast
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by Teefaj: 12:16pm On Jan 06, 2019
That is another type of fast all together where u live solely on food in quid form. Its called coasting...
Read up and don't sound ignorant.
adeniyitheprof:

Directly or indirectly, you have concluded that if I drink water during fasting, it does not break my fasting. This means if I take of DRINK soft drink or tea or anything that is liquid OR has water and without eating during fasting, NO PROBLEM. Then you do not know the purpose of biblical fasting. I do not have time for now for proper delivery of this question; preparing to go to church. See you later and God bless you!
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by thardex: 12:33am On Jan 29, 2019
geefasee:
you are right, not even garri water
guy grin grin
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by christ007(m): 7:06pm On Jan 03, 2022
Bigwig1:

As for me I just got to know last week dat water doesn't break fast. Buh normally I should b frm 12am to 12pm,3pm or 6 pm. U can brush anytime not necessarily bfor 6am

Please I really want to know stuff about fasting but I need it, so I want to be sure if I can drink water when fasting and before I start can I eat too
Re: Does Water Break The Fast? by christ007(m): 7:08pm On Jan 03, 2022
I was fasting today then I mistakenly drank water so I thought the fasting had end and I really need to know about this fasting stuff because I want to get more closer to God

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Apostle Suleman Arrives Washington D.C In Style Amid Sex Scandal. Photos/video / Staunch Catholic Couple's Pre-Wedding Pictures / The Dangers Of Being A Prostitute In This Day And Age (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.