Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,989 members, 7,821,444 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life (21643 Views)

[VIDEO] 3 Fatal CV Mistakes You Must NEVER Make / Why Weak Students Usually End Up Being The Most Successful In Life / Do Simple Nigerian School Jobs Here, Get Paid! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Lagusta(m): 6:26pm On Jan 23, 2015
I had a friend that dropped out of school, thinking he would make it like Ben Carson or Steve Jobs.....

That guy is now a messenger in one firm like that undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by KHAYGOLD(m): 6:26pm On Jan 23, 2015
Lies of the century
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Nobody: 6:30pm On Jan 23, 2015
And because they think they must have phd before they can rule a country like Nigeria.
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by kindnyce(m): 6:33pm On Jan 23, 2015
PROBABLY...

ITS AS A RESULT OF THE HARSH ECONOMIC REALITY IN NAIJA

ITS THE OTHER WAY ROUND IN THE WEST,,

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by ifeoluwa237(m): 6:34pm On Jan 23, 2015
I Dnt believe in all of dis
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by NET1(m): 6:35pm On Jan 23, 2015
Did you just say that Seun Osewa of Nairaland is a School dropout? Really? I didn't know that.

.NET
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by musicwriter(m): 6:36pm On Jan 23, 2015
@moderatorr1
Larry Page founded google not Sergey. Most of the things you said doesn't apply.
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jan 23, 2015
OP, u're really dumb!

Wetin concern u and school drop outs?

Do u realise many of these guys dropped out due to financial reason?

Does that make them failure in life?

If you were in front of me, I wld have slapped you into 2017!

6 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by zubby29(m): 6:38pm On Jan 23, 2015
my dear broda/sister,america is not Nigeria,aside education dey have alot of oda tins goin for them,if u try dat in NIgeria ur chances of making it is very slim no mater hw determined u are,stick with education here o,nigeria is nigeria not america.dnt ever consider it here in dis country.what work for john may not work for peter

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Orikinla(m): 6:39pm On Jan 23, 2015
hahn:
Lol. Tell that to the ibo boys in Idumota, Alaba etc, the hausa abokis who have their own businesses, land and cattle and compare their numbers with the amount of unemployed graduates including graduates that can't fill their NYSC forms and the ones that can't compose a simple essay. Don't forget the graduates that have been employed by these drop outs and then you can come back and delete this thread

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by AJOT99(m): 6:40pm On Jan 23, 2015
That's right!

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Kingsasian(m): 6:43pm On Jan 23, 2015
LaurelP:
Whether u went to school or not, have a plan. Infact have plan A and B and if possible C! In Nigeria, u can never be sure of what the future holds. Graduate or no graduate, u must network and know people that matter, cos here its about who you know.
u are right
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by nkadoj(m): 6:46pm On Jan 23, 2015
hahn:
Lol. Tell that to the ibo boys in Idumota, Alaba etc, the hausa abokis who have their own businesses, land and cattle and compare their numbers with the amount of unemployed graduates including graduates that can't fill their NYSC forms and the ones that can't compose a simple essay. Don't forget the graduates that have been employed by these drop outs and then you can come back and delete this thread

Thanks bro
God bless you hundred folds
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Mhizkel(f): 6:47pm On Jan 23, 2015
wat if na skool drop d person out nkor?
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by ProsperUSA: 6:48pm On Jan 23, 2015
really

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by ellechrystal(f): 6:50pm On Jan 23, 2015
mcmukoko12:
Zz
Na wa.. just to b on d first page o. Kai..there is God o
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 23, 2015
Speaking of drop outs, GMB readily comes to mind. Despite being head of state for 2yrs, am not sure he has made it:
^ having lost out on the presidency three consecutive times
^ not being able to grow his 'at least ' N1 Milla bank balance & his 150 cows over the past 12 yrs and
^ Claiming to have only an uncompleted house in daura while his children study in the UK.
My friends, at all cost do whatever you can to get an education. If you must drop out, make sure you at least pass your WASSCE, obtain your original certificate & keep it safe to avoid stories that touch.......... #OneMan'sPointOfView

5 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Fash20: 6:54pm On Jan 23, 2015
moderatorr1:
Statistics have it that just like in music, less than 1% of people who start out in life by dropping out of school eventually make it to million dollar status in life. What research and motivational books doesnt explain so far is the reason why this is so.

Many young men and women after reading books and biographies of rich men all around the world decide who quit school to become billionaires are motivated to drop their school bags too. Many they continue in this less troden path until they become blatant failures in life without knowing why.

Using Nigeria as a case study, I would mention some of the major less mentioned reasons why most people who drop out of school never made it:

1. They drop into loneliness: What many people dont know is that about 98% of the people who dropped to become billionaires did it in pairs - they had close friends who dropped out with them and started the journey together with them.

a. Bill gates founder of Microsoft had Paul Allen
b.Mark Zuckerberg founder of Facebook had Dustin Moskovits, Eduardo Saverin, Chris Huges, Sean Parker
c. Steve Jobs founder of apple had Steve Wozniak
d. Sergie Brin founder of Google had Larry Pages
And so on. Many Nigerians who drop out of school, attempt to start out alone - this is usually disastrous though a few number of people have succeeded that way.

Here are the few number of people who have succeeded alone:
a. Matt Muttenweg founder of wordpress
b. Seun Osewa founder of Nairaland.

2.They drop into confusion: Not knowing what to do in life to make a living is a big problem. Most people who drop out of school drop into complete confusion because they had no plan before dropping out. The whole path to the future become a complete maze. They never planed what to do after school. Contrary to this approach, billionaires who dropped out of school were already pretty certain on what to be after school. Founder of virgin atlantic airways already owned a newspaper coy by the time he was droping out of school.

3. They drop out of laziness: Most people who fail in life woefully after droping out of school actually dropped out of school as a result of sheer laziness. They couldnt just study hard enough to pass so take the usual excuse that most billionaires around the world dropped out of school to become billionaires. Funny enough, most billionaires who dropped out of school were actually workaholics by the time they were dropping out of school (read my write up on starting the right business). Bill Gates already landed a software production contract with IBM before he said goodbye. Mark Zuckerberg had already built 'TheFacebook' before he called it quits.

"When I called my mum and told her i was dropping out of school, she laughed and said she knew I was never going to finish school when she saw the way I worked" -Mark Zuckerberg founder of facebook.

So why quit school if you can still continue.

4. They drop into thorny grounds Most billionaires who dropped out of school had a soft landing. They had rich or average parents who provided some sort of key support for them after they dropped out. Bill Gates had a well to do magistrate as his father and a mother who helped him secure the big contract at IBM. Mark Zuckerberg's parents supported him with $85,000 loan when he started. Aliku Dangote, had a rich uncle who helped set him up in business and supported him through the early stages.

There are few exceptions to this though, people like steve jobs the founder of apple and Atiku Abubakar, one time vice president of Nigeria actually started from the bottom. But there is something else to look at - they had a conducive economic climate. Things usually go as planned. Software and software don't get pirated as much. Its easier in their respective countries to find 1 million people who can easily buy your product online for $1 just to test it.

Its far easier to find investors there because of enlightenment. Generally, most people who made it landed on soft grounds.

5. They drop out of school and out of learning Most people who fail after dropping out of school actually dropped out of school and out of studying. The truth is that no one can succeed without self education. Learning new tricks of the trade, under standing the stock market, studying econmics and accounting and so on. Quote me anyday, Self education is priceless.

6. They drop into a non profitable business or idea Before dropping out of school, most people who did, actually had a profitable business that was already making some sort of income or gaining traction. Nairaland had 300 members in its first month. Facebook was already the talk of the town with over 20000 members before Mark Zuckerberg quit. Wordpress was already the blogging CMS with a community.

Most people who loose in life after quitting school actually never had a working idea before quiting, they quit then try to work it out - wrong.

So if you are planing to quit school or know any one who is planning to quit using my one simple self-examination question "do i already have a profitable business that will suffer if i continue school?" . If your answer is know, my good friend, its not yet time to quit school. Try to keep running the business while pushing forwared in your academics. Strike a balance between business and study hours and keep moving.

Here is my one simple line advice for anyone who intends to drop out of school. "Dont drop out of school until it is absolutely impossible to continue" Or "dont drop out of school before your monthly business income surpasses your school fees".
- Source: Brainterm http://brain tem.org/twists/view/124335
steve jobs dropped out because of financial reasons. Mark zurckerberg didn't drop out he was expelled.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Nobody: 6:54pm On Jan 23, 2015
There are two different categories of intentional school dropouts . Viz :

- The first group are those who dropped out because they have discovered themselves and have decided to develop that innate passion they have discovered . This group always succeed because they have something to offer themselves and the world at large . And they are not bereaved of sound knowledge and wisdom . Although , many of them are not always good in academic education , and this is not necessarily because they are intellectually inept , no , rather it is because they have less interest and put little or no effort toward academic education even when still within the academic premises .

- The second group are those who dropped out because someone elsewhere who dropped out earlier-on has made/is making it . The people in this category always continue to drop out further in every other aspect of their lives , because they lack definiteness of purpose . They are crowd followers - one who follows the crowd can never make a discovery ; Although not all that made discovery live to reap the fruit of their labor , but at least their names do live on after their demise .

In summary , the worst thing that can happen to any sane person is living on other people's opinion , because the very moment you start to live on other people's opinion you are as good as a dead person - this however does not mean that one should not seek and adhere to sound advices . Scripturally , the most potent of all biblical laws as far as I am concerned is " man know thyself " .

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by adedayourt(m): 6:57pm On Jan 23, 2015
GEJ dropped out of PhD class into Aso rock__ but he ll be leaving soon though grin

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by adedayourt(m): 6:59pm On Jan 23, 2015
Mhizkel:
wat if na skool drop d person out nkor?

Wait let me ask Ifa bout dat one
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Appswheel(m): 7:00pm On Jan 23, 2015
I dedicate this to all individuals reading this thread. Dont ever forget that you have all it takes to succeed. When you fail, learn the lessons, pursue your dreams - Achieve Greatness!

STEPS TO HAPPINESS

b]Everybody Knows:[/b]

You can't be all things to all people.
You can't do all things at once.
You can't do all things equally well.
You can't do all things better than everyone else.
Your humanity is showing just like everyone else's.

So:

You have to find out who you are, and be that.
You have to decide what comes first, and do that.
You have to discover your strengths, and use them.
You have to learn not to compete with others,
Because no one else is in the contest of *being you*.

Then:

You will have learned to accept your own uniqueness.
You will have learned to set priorities and make decisions.
You will have learned to live with your limitations.
You will have learned to give yourself the respect that is due.
And you'll be a most vital mortal.

Dare To Believe:

That you are a wonderful, unique person.
That you are a once-in-all-history event.
That it's more than a right, it's your duty, to be who you are.
That life is not a problem to solve, but a gift to cherish.
And we'll be able to stay one up on what used to get us.

May God Bless you and keep you safe.

Written by: Father Pat

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by ebamma(m): 7:02pm On Jan 23, 2015
Lagusta:
I had a friend that dropped out of school, thinking he would make it like Ben Carson or Steve Jobs.....

That guy is now a messenger in one firm like that undecided
And there is one other friend of yours you are not telling us about who dropped out and started following this Senator around, now he is the chairman of your local government

5 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by adedayourt(m): 7:03pm On Jan 23, 2015
merits:

Even u too??

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 23, 2015
adedayourt:
GEJ dropped out of PhD class into Aso rock__ but he ll be leaving soon though grin
have you even studied up to a Masters level? Very typical of the yorubas to drink panadol for other people's headaches. That's why they remain perpetual slaves to the drop out abo.ki.s who have always made it a fad to lord over the yorubas who claim to have all the books in their heads.
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by illicit(m): 7:07pm On Jan 23, 2015
Op Dangote wasnt a dropout ok?
Re: Why Many Nigerian School Dropouts Never Make It In Life by Missmossy(f): 7:07pm On Jan 23, 2015
Not really true no excuse or circumstance is an excuse not to make it in life anyway! Afterall being a graduate doesn't guarantee your overall success in life.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How I Was Scammed In Lagos: My 2 Weeks Experience In A Hotel / GE Africa Early Career Development Program - Nigeria Graduate Trainee / One Year After, Jonathan Gives Immigration Recruitment Victims Money, Jobs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.