Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,913 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:57 AM

Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? (30750 Views)

Kenyan Lady Whose Hands Were Cut Off As She Couldn't Have A Child Is Pregnant / Wife Sends Husband To Prison For Marrying A Second Wife (Photos) / I Can’t Bear My Husband’s Strong Sexual Urge: Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Nobody: 9:21am On Aug 05, 2015
Dnt take advice from people who have neva been in ur shoes, bros keep both women.. marriage is never complete without a child as long u confirm the baby is urs..

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by bolanle4adegoke(f): 9:26am On Aug 05, 2015
Since she was unable to give birth for so many years, I think they are not melt to be together, there destiny doesn't match, or They should wait forGod's time, at the same time, age is counting and time is going, does they wanna take care of their children at their old age, when they suppose waiting to eat the fruits of there labour.
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Kay17: 9:26am On Aug 05, 2015
[quote author=ProphetUdeme post=29897097][/quote]

Poor secretaries.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by slye(m): 9:29am On Aug 05, 2015
mianyaegbu:
Dnt take advice from people who have neva been in ur shoes, bros keep both women.. marriage is never complete without a child as long u confirm the baby is urs..

The only sensible comment in this thread wink......bro, none of them have been in your shoes so expect them to give comments like say na moimoi issue.But note that ur promiscuity outta wedlock is a great sin.

Polygamy is a sin they will say, yet the bible explains prophets of God married more than one woman except jesus who didnt marry!...mtcheew... Confused beings!

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by VickyRotex(f): 9:30am On Aug 05, 2015
Truckpusher:
Well, that's his headache .

This is one reason there should be some form of test running before anything grin
How can you be dating someone for years and you've not misfired for once. cheesy

Choiiii... No!!!! angry

It doesn't justify premarital s3x.

Test run from now till tomorrow before marriage, what will be, will be.
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by willykitty01: 9:30am On Aug 05, 2015
@ Op, as much as I will not want to sound judgmental, I will want to firstly commend you for your patience( 14 years is a long wait...) but

1.I think you have already made up your mind to go polygamous, just waiting for NL general vote for approval.

2. Put your wife in the place of your younger sister, after 14 years someone sends her parking but secondary infertility most probably not due to any fault of hers...

3. As a deeper life member myself, I am sure going by the teachings of the word of God, not the church,is either you where not part of the church(eternal church,through genuine salvation) or you are backsliding (series of sexual escapade with a secretary while your wife is at home.....??.

4. Remember that if the whole world says yes, the word of God which you made reference to stands forever

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by ralphblac(m): 9:30am On Aug 05, 2015
I am sick of hearing people like Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, and other Christian right wing people saying that the Bible's "definition" of marriage is "one man and one woman". Apparently these people never really studied the Bible as any beginning student of the Bible knows the definition of marriage in the Bible was one man and possibly many women.

I am NOT advocating polygamy but I am simply making a factual statement. The Bible defined marriage as one man and multiple women. Moses had at least TWO wives, with good proof showing he actually had THREE wives, in addition to a concubine. King David had at least SEVEN wives and THOUSANDS of women in his concubine. Jacob had multiple wives. Abraham had at least THREE wives and the list goes on.

God did NOT forbid Old Testament followers to have more than one wife. The Law even has instructions for the man with more than one wife (Deuteronomy 21:15). Even in the New Testament multiple wives were allowed as the instruction that elders must be “the husband of one wife” (1 Timothy 3:2). This would logically conclude that others had multiple wives but an elder should only have one wife.

As mentioned above, most Christians are COMPLETELY CLUELESS to God allowing and even promoting multiple wives in the Old Testament. If they do read about it, they are not comfortable with it and avoid it. The fact remains that God did NOT prohibit multiple wives in the law, and He did not rebuke those who had more than one wife.

The nation Israel comes from the offspring of the four “wives” (2 wives, 2 concubines) of Jacob. One thing is certain, the Bible does NOT condone the marriage of two women or two men, but it does condone the marriage of one man to multiple women. I just wish the people on TV would stop saying "one man and one women", as that is NOT the Biblical definition of marriage.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 AM
allenk893

5,569 posts, read 6,257,786 times
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

(Genesis 2:24)

It takes a clueless one to know a clueless one.
Last edited by allenk893; 05-14-2012 at 03:08 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 AM
DellNec DellNec started this thread

1,229 posts, read 2,314,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Genesis 4:19 And Lamech took two wives. The name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.

Genesis 26:34 When Esau was forty years old, he took Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite to be his wife, and Basemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite.

Judges 8:30 Now Gideon had seventy sons, his own offspring, for he had many wives.

Samuel 25:43 David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel, and both of them became his wives.

Kings 20: 2-3 And he sent messengers into the city to Ahab king of Israel and said to him, “Thus says Ben-hadad: ’Your silver and your gold are mine; your best wives and children also are mine.’”

Ahab, king of Israel, had multiple wives, and not one disapproving word from the prophets or God Himself can be found.

I guess you just ignore the other dozens of verses that say otherwise.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 AM
Bideshi

16,446 posts, read 12,247,498 times
Jacob had two wives, Rachael and Leah, whose 12 sons were the fathers of the twelve tribes of Israel. Solomon had hundreds of wives. Polygamy is not condemned in the Bible. The Bible recommends that a man have but one wife (or none), but more than one wife is not forbidden.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:

1 Corinthians 6:16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”

Your understanding of "one flesh" is not Biblically correct. "One flesh" simply means to have intimate relations with another women. Hence the above verse in I Corinthians clarifies this. Moses married two wives, yet he was "one flesh" with the both of them. King David had at least seven wives & thousands of women in his concubine, yet he was "one flesh" with all of them.

The term, "one flesh" did not mean that a man could not be "one flesh" with more than one woman. It simply meant to have intimate relations, during which time the two people become "one flesh". The Scriptures reveal that Jesus and Moses knew what "one flesh" meant when Moses authored Genesis 2:24 as a man may be "one flesh" with more than one woman. So a guy who has sex with a prostitute becomes "one flesh" with the prostitute even though he never marries her, as shown by 1 Corinthians 6:16
Last edited by DellNec; 05-14-2012 at 04:03 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Jacob had two wives, Rachael and Leah, whose 12 sons were the fathers of the twelve tribes of Israel. Solomon had hundreds of wives. Polygamy is not condemned in the Bible. The Bible recommends that a man have but one wife (or none), but more than one wife is not forbidden.
Exactly. Most Christians are clueless on this topic and keep repeating the mantra of "one man & one woman" that their Sunday School pastor told them. Maybe if these people would actually STUDY the Bible they proclaim they follow they would quickly realize that polygamy was very commonplace and never forbidden by God.

Even on top of that, many of the prophets had concubines (women who were NOT wives but merely would be used for child bearing). King David had 1,000's of these women.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 AM
augiedogie

5,906 posts, read 2,881,738 times
To the OP: You have to remember that the Old Testament has been overruled by the New Testament. Rules that applied then do not apply now. Food prohibitions etc. Christians follow the New Testament. Jesus put it very plainly.
Mt 19:4 "Haven’t you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ Mt 19:5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ ? Mt 19:6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.

Because of this, the general rule has been one man+one woman=marriage. Anything else is a corruption of God's will.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 AM
mensaguy Moderator

7,284 posts, read 6,221,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DellNec View Post
..... The nation Israel comes from the offspring of the four “wives” (2 wives, 2 concubines) of Jacob. One thing is certain, the Bible does NOT condone the marriage of two women or two men, but it does condone the marriage of one man to multiple women. .....
I have yet to find a Biblical quote that forbids marriage, or any other relationship, between two women. As far as I can tell, it is not mentioned in the Bible. If you subscribe to the theory that failure to find a Biblical condemnation means it is permitted, then lesbian marriages should be just fine.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Bideshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
To the OP: You have to remember that the Old Testament has been overruled by the New Testament. Rules that applied then do not apply now.
The New Testament qualifications for a bishop or deacon were, among others, " a man of one wife" which clearly suggests that polygamy was not uncommon in the early church.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Mikelee81

3,745 posts, read 2,116,566 times
Quote:
Exactly. Most Christians are clueless on this topic and keep repeating the mantra of "one man & one woman" that their Sunday School pastor told them. Maybe if these people would actually STUDY the Bible they proclaim they follow they would quickly realize that polygamy was very commonplace and never forbidden by God.

Even on top of that, many of the prophets had concubines (women who were NOT wives but merely would be used for child bearing). King David had 1,000's of these women.
Find me a passage where God specifically condones polygamy.

Just because these folks fell by transgression does not mean that God condones it.

Samson fell into Lust by Delilaliah (sp?). David fell by Absolom. Solomon fell as well. God made it clear he did not condone their actions. He took his Spirit away from Samson.

There are plenty of Scriptures to demonstrate how God does not condone more than one wife.

Matthew 5:31-33

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Exodus 20:14
Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Polygamy is Adultery. Written in stone by the Creator Messiah himself (Colossians 1:14-17)(John 1).

Those that fell into apostasy, while some may be Justified by Faith, will still be accountable for those decisions in the Eternal court.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/1574796-bible-does-not-say-one-man.html#ixzz3hvYh13ZJ

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by harrimexy: 9:31am On Aug 05, 2015
Mr. Man... Use your head. If you went to school, then think definitively as a man. In other words, define the purposes of these women in your life.
1. Who did you marry as your wife?
2. Who did you have as your companion for life?
3. Must your wife be your baby mama? <think well and think of many people without wives but with their biological children>
4. Did you marry for love, companionship or for children? <Set your priority here>
5. Have you ever thought that when your children get to 20 years, they will hardly be with you at home, rather the person you called your companion? Who do you want this companion to be?
6. You call yourself a Christian, what do you know by "carrying your cross"?

I have more questions for you, but just ponder on these ones. I will not decide for you nor advise you and I will simply tell you not to put your blames on the friends that will give you wrong advice.

I'm not advising you, but if I am the one, I will keep my wife home and assure her of my love while I keep a baby mama (easier these days) else where, even bachelors do it. Abraham in the Bible did it also.
Don't do as I said, rather answer the questions in your mind.
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by effrebor(m): 9:32am On Aug 05, 2015
Shoro niyen
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Nobody: 9:34am On Aug 05, 2015
[quote author=ProphetUdeme post=29897097][/quote] TAKE HER AS YOUR SECOND WIFE,

I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYWHERE IN THE BIBLE THAT SAY DO NOT MARRY TWO WIFE.....

RELIGION IS A BASTARD.. MARRY HER AS YOUR SECOND WIFE AND IF THE FIRST WIFE CAN'T TAKE IT, SEND HER PARKING. HER SERVICE IS NO LONGER NEEDED
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by anataala: 9:34am On Aug 05, 2015
Polygamy in the Bible:

The sections of this article are:

1- A brief look at polygamy in the Old Testament.
2- Polygamy in the New Testament. Jesus allowed polygamy.
3- Another rebuttal to Matthew 19:8-9.
4- My Challenge to all Christians.
5- Some Christians believe that the Old Testament prohibited Polygamy. See my rebuttal to Deuteronomy 17:17.
6- Do Paul's 1 Timothy 3:2 and 1 Timothy 3:12 prove that polygamy is prohibited in the Bible?
7- Christians are hypocrites for following ONLY 1 Timothy 3:2 and 1 Timothy 3:12.
8- 1 Kings 11:1-4 does not condemn polygamy!
9- Christians who agree with polygamy!
10- Conclusion.

There is a widely prevailing misconception about the Bible's New Testament prohibiting polygamy. The Bible allows polygamy in both the Old Testament and the New Testament. Please don't forget to visit the Christian sites that agree with Polygamy in the New Testament that I linked to at the end of this page.

1- A brief look at polygamy in the Old Testament:

Let us look at some of the verses from the Old Testament that allow polygamy:

In Exodus 21:10, a man can marry an infinite amount of women without any limits to how many he can marry.

In 2 Samuel 5:13; 1 Chronicles 3:1-9, 14:3, King David had six wives and numerous concubines.

In 1 Kings 11:3, King Solomon had 700 wives and 300 concubines.

In 2 Chronicles 11:21, King Solomon's son Rehoboam had 18 wives and 60 concubines.

In Deuteronomy 21:15 "If a man has two wives, and he loves one but not the other, and both bear him sons...."

There are a lot more verses from the Old Testament that allow polygamy, but I think that the above are sufficient enough to prove my point.

2- Polygamy in the New Testament:

Here is a small quote from a Christian (R.M.) who agrees with Polygamy:

Hello,
I was just reading your article on polygamy. I am a Christian who
actually believes polygamy is a righteous form of marriage. Despite the
modern secular church you probably usually see, there are Christians who
are serious about God and Truth over men's traditions.

Another small quote from a Christian Pastor who agrees with Polygamy:

Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:07:57 EDT
Subject: Your statement on Polygamy
To: truthspeaks@answering-christianity.com

Great article for the most part. I am a born-again Christian and a pastor who
not only supports the Biblical teaching of polygamy but I also practice it. I
have two wives and seven children so far....

Before I present the verses from the New Testament that allow polygamy, I first would like to prove to you that Jesus peace be upon him did honor the laws of the Old Testament, and did order his followers (the Christians as we call them) to follow the laws of the Old Testament:

Jesus said: "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law (the Old Testament) or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke or a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law (the Old Testament) until everything is accomplished. (Matthew 5:17-18)"

Christians always say as an excuse "Oh this law doesn't exist in the New Testament, it is only the Old Testament." Well, according to Matthew 5:17-18 above, we clearly see that Jesus honored the Old Testament, and forces Christians to follow the unmodified laws of it that have not been replaced by newer ones in the New Testament. The Old Testament as we clearly see above does indeed allow polygamy without a shadow of a doubt !!.

There is not a single verse from the New Testament that prohibits polygamy. Christians usually mistakenly present the following verses from the Bible to prove that polygamy in the New Testament is not allowed:

Matthew 19:1-12 "1. When Jesus had finished saying these things, he left Galilee and went into the region of Judea to
the other side of the Jordan.
2. Large crowds followed him, and he healed them there.
3. Some Pharisees came to him to test him. They asked, "Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife for any and every reason?"
4. "Haven't you read," he (Jesus) replied, "that at the beginning the Creator `made them male and female,'
5. and said, `For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ?
6. So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."
7. "Why then," they asked, "did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?"
8. Jesus replied, "Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning.
9. I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness, and marries another woman commits adultery."
10. The disciples said to him, "If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry."
11. Jesus replied, "Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given.
12. For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it."

In the above verses, we see that Jesus was approached with a question about whether or not it is allowed for a man to divorce his wife in Matthew 19:3. Jesus immediately referred to the Old Testament for the answer in Matthew 19:4. He referred to Adam and Eve, one man and one woman. The Old Testament does talk about the story of Adam and Eve as one husband and one wife. However, the Old Testament which Jesus had referred to in Matthew 19:3 does allow polygamy.

Also, when a man becomes a one flesh with his wife in Matthew 19:5-6, this doesn't mean that the man can't be one flesh with another woman. He can be one flesh with his first wife, and one flesh with his second wife, and one flesh with his third wife and so on.... To further prove this point, let us look at the following from the New Testament:

Matthew 22:23-32 "23. That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question.
24. "Teacher," they said, "Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and have children for him.
25. Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother.
26. The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh.
27. Finally, the woman died.
28. Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?"
29. Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.
30. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.
31. But about the resurrection of the dead--have you not read what God said to you,
32. `I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob' ? He is not the God of the dead but of the living."

In Matthew 22:24-28, the Jews referred to Deuteronomy 25:5 from the Old Testament where it states that if a woman's husband dies, and she didn't have any kids from him, then she must marry his brother regardless whether he had a wife or not. When the Jews brought this situation up to Jesus in Matthew 22:24-28, Jesus did not prohibit at all for the childless widow to marry her husband's brother (even if he were married). Instead, Jesus replied to them by saying that we do not marry in heaven, and we will be like angels in heaven (Matthew 22:30).

So in other words, if Jesus allowed for a widow to marry her former husband's brother even if he were married, then this negates the Christians' claim about the Bible prohibiting polygamy. A man can be one flesh with more than one woman. In the case of Matthew 22:24-28, the man can be one flesh with his wife, and one flesh with his deceased brother's wife. Also keep in mind that Exodus 21:10 allows a man to marry an infinite amount of women, and Deuteronomy 21:15 allows a man to marry more than one wife.

Please visit: Widows are protected in Islam from their in-laws, but are forced and not protected in the Bible's NT and OT.

3- Another rebuttal to Matthew 19:8-9:

I received the following two posts:

Anonymous
Argument Against Polygamy in the Bible
7/04/2005

Matthew 19:8-9

The key thing to note here is that this argument fails if polygamy is acceptable! Jesus' point is that improper divorce does not nullify a marriage, and if the first marriage still stands, then a "second" marriage is adultery--and NOT simply 'polygamy'! This is very clear.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Hydee2784:
Your religion doesn't allow polygamy, but it allows adultery right?
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Truckpusher(m): 9:34am On Aug 05, 2015
VickyRotex:

Choiiii... No!!!! angry

It doesn't justify premarital s3x.

Test run from now till tomorrow before marriage, what will be, will be.
Some form of test run mustn't end on the bedroom sis. grin

Your mind is evil - I didn't sanction premarital sex o. cheesy

I'm sure you are aware of fertility test - it is cheap and readily available , I have always advice ld that people with the intent to get married in the future to always do their fertility test every three years.
But the crude test run also works too after all if you can sleep with a woman you shouldn't be afraid of the results and the same thing goes for women too.
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by freecocoa(f): 9:37am On Aug 05, 2015
From where I stand, it's no use going into how you don't love your wife enough, as that's very obvious, therefore I can understand why you are so selfish/betrayed her in the most devastating manner, however, it's best to let your wife know what's happened and divorce her, so you can have your happily ever after, but beware, you just might turn out to be the one who gets disappointed, I don't know about karma, but I do know some people get what they deserve.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Nobody: 9:38am On Aug 05, 2015
ralphblac:

I am sick of hearing people like Mike Huckabee, Sarah Palin, and other Christian right wing people saying that the Bible's "definition" of marriage is "one man and one woman". Apparently these people never really studied the Bible as any beginning student of the Bible knows the definition of marriage in the Bible was one man and possibly many women.

I am NOT advocating polygamy but I am simply making a factual statement. The Bible defined marriage as one man and multiple women. Moses had at least TWO wives, with good proof showing he actually had THREE wives, in addition to a concubine. King David had at least SEVEN wives and THOUSANDS of women in his concubine. Jacob had multiple wives. Abraham had at least THREE wives and the list goes on.

God did NOT forbid Old Testament followers to have more than one wife. The Law even has instructions for the man with more than one wife (Deuteronomy 21:15). Even in the New Testament multiple wives were allowed as the instruction that elders must be “the husband of one wife” (1 Timothy 3:2). This would logically conclude that others had multiple wives but an elder should only have one wife.

As mentioned above, most Christians are COMPLETELY CLUELESS to God allowing and even promoting multiple wives in the Old Testament. If they do read about it, they are not comfortable with it and avoid it. The fact remains that God did NOT prohibit multiple wives in the law, and He did not rebuke those who had more than one wife.

The nation Israel comes from the offspring of the four “wives” (2 wives, 2 concubines) of Jacob. One thing is certain, the Bible does NOT condone the marriage of two women or two men, but it does condone the marriage of one man to multiple women. I just wish the people on TV would stop saying "one man and one women", as that is NOT the Biblical definition of marriage.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 AM
allenk893

5,569 posts, read 6,257,786 times

It takes a clueless one to know a clueless one.
Last edited by allenk893; 05-14-2012 at 03:08 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 03:39 AM

Quote:

Genesis 4:19 And Lamech took two wives. The name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.

Genesis 26:34 When Esau was forty years old, he took Judith the daughter of Beeri the Hittite to be his wife, and Basemath the daughter of Elon the Hittite.

Judges 8:30 Now Gideon had seventy sons, his own offspring, for he had many wives.

Samuel 25:43 David also took Ahinoam of Jezreel, and both of them became his wives.

Kings 20: 2-3 And he sent messengers into the city to Ahab king of Israel and said to him, “Thus says Ben-hadad: ’Your silver and your gold are mine; your best wives and children also are mine.’”

Ahab, king of Israel, had multiple wives, and not one disapproving word from the prophets or God Himself can be found.

I guess you just ignore the other dozens of verses that say otherwise.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:45 AM
Bideshi

Old 05-14-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:

1 Corinthians 6:16 Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”

Your understanding of "one flesh" is not Biblically correct. "One flesh" simply means to have intimate relations with another women. Hence the above verse in I Corinthians clarifies this. Moses married two wives, yet he was "one flesh" with the both of them. King David had at least seven wives & thousands of women in his concubine, yet he was "one flesh" with all of them.

The term, "one flesh" did not mean that a man could not be "one flesh" with more than one woman. It simply meant to have intimate relations, during which time the two people become "one flesh". The Scriptures reveal that Jesus and Moses knew what "one flesh" meant when Moses authored Genesis 2:24 as a man may be "one flesh" with more than one woman. So a guy who has sex with a prostitute becomes "one flesh" with the prostitute even though he never marries her, as shown by 1 Corinthians 6:16
Last edited by DellNec; 05-14-2012 at 04:03 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post

Old 05-14-2012, 06:56 AM
augiedogie

5,906 posts, read 2,881,738 times
To the OP: You have to remember that the Old Testament has been overruled by the New Testament. Rules that applied then do not apply now. Food prohibitions etc. Christians follow the New Testament. Jesus put it very plainly.
Mt 19:4 "Haven’t you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator ‘made them male and female,’ Mt 19:5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh’ ? Mt 19:6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.

Because of this, the general rule has been one man+one woman=marriage. Anything else is a corruption of God's will.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 AM
mensaguy Moderator

7,284 posts, read 6,221,202 times
Quote:
..... The nation Israel comes from the offspring of the four “wives” (2 wives, 2 concubines) of Jacob. One thing is certain, the Bible does NOT condone the marriage of two women or two men, but it does condone the marriage of one man to multiple women. .....
I have yet to find a Biblical quote that forbids marriage, or any other relationship, between two women. As far as I can tell, it is not mentioned in the Bible. If you subscribe to the theory that failure to find a Biblical condemnation means it is permitted, then lesbian marriages should be just fine.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:28 AM
Bideshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
To the OP: You have to remember that the Old Testament has been overruled by the New Testament. Rules that applied then do not apply now.
The New Testament qualifications for a bishop or deacon were, among others, " a man of one wife" which clearly suggests that polygamy was not uncommon in the early church.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:29 AM
Mikelee81

3,745 posts, read 2,116,566 times
Quote:

Find me a passage where God specifically condones polygamy.

Just because these folks fell by transgression does not mean that God condones it.

Samson fell into Lust by Delilaliah (sp?). David fell by Absolom. Solomon fell as well. God made it clear he did not condone their actions. He took his Spirit away from Samson.

There are plenty of Scriptures to demonstrate how God does not condone more than one wife.

Matthew 5:31-33

31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Exodus 20:14
Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Polygamy is Adultery. Written in stone by the Creator Messiah himself (Colossians 1:14-17)(John 1).

Those that fell into apostasy, while some may be Justified by Faith, will still be accountable for those decisions in the Eternal court.

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/christianity/1574796-bible-does-not-say-one-man.html#ixzz3hvYh13ZJ
most of your quote are wrong

http://bible.com/111/col.1.14-17.niv in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. The Son is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Nobody: 9:42am On Aug 05, 2015
I support you bro.
If you are sure the lady is pregnant for you, then let her have the child. I don't know why Nigerian couples are too rigid.
Why wait for 14 whole years? ? ? ?
@OP, have you tried other options, IVF, surrogacy, adoption (etc) within the 14yrs wait?

I really hate when people say wait on God, especially when they haven't been in your shoe. Are you supposed to wait, keep having faith without work??

I know this family in my hood, the man is impotent... the wife had to take in outside_ they have 3kids. The only reason we finally got to know was because the wife caught the man cheating, and she vowed to disgrace him. Finally they settled, they are still together.

The only problem I see here is you doing it without your wife's consent. So many couples do shiit we don't know about to have kids. Collect your child, beg your wife for forgiveness...you guys should raise him/her as yours.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Lanceslot(m): 9:42am On Aug 05, 2015
ProphetUdeme:
they had love escapades many times. So its obviously certain that he is the father of the unborn child.
And how are you sure she isn't having a love escapades with someone else @ same period?
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by kushsy: 9:42am On Aug 05, 2015
If she is truly preg for you. Let her keep staying where she is and tell your wife the truth but don't ever allow her move to your house..that has been her motive from the beginning ..please don't ever allow her move to your house.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by VickyRotex(f): 9:43am On Aug 05, 2015
Truckpusher:
Some form of test run mustn't end on the bedroom sis. grin

Your mind is evil - I didn't sanction premarital sex o. cheesy

I'm sure you are aware of fertility test - it is cheap and readily available , I have always advice ld that people with the intent to get married in the future to always do their fertility test every three years.
But the crude test run also works too after all if you can sleep with a woman you shouldn't be afraid of the results and the same thing goes for women too.

cheesy Ehn ehn, clever you right?

What's the meaning of this below? grin

Truckpusher:

How can you be dating someone for years and you've not misfired for once. cheesy

Talk about fertility test, yea that's fine. Heard of it too. That's the reason why we need more awareness on that part. Lots of people dont know about it, and some just count it as irrelevant. Well truth is, I've never thought about doing it too.

Crude test run? That can come in the marriage. Most important thing is to do the test you advised. undecided
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Nobody: 9:44am On Aug 05, 2015
gassdon:
If he is a christian, it is not right to marry second wife. You can only marry other wife if only if your wife is promiscuous, then you divorce her before marrying again. if not it is for better for worse.

I suggest they should adopt a day old baby.

Abeg if say na the woman want to marry other man on the premise that her husband could not give her a child, the all world for call her Names. Y must it be woman that end up at receiving end in Africa marriage. My follow men lets have change of heart and treat them(our wife) the way we want them to treat us.

Peace
WHO TOLD YOU THIS LIE, undecided IT IS NOT WRITE TO MARRY A SECOND WIFE BUT IT IS WRONG TO COMMIT ADULTERY undecided

THERE IS NO WERE IN THE BIBLE THAT SAY DO NOT MARRY A SECOND WIFE..

RELIGION IS A CANCER
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by chiteny(m): 9:45am On Aug 05, 2015
ProphetUdeme:
........I was baffled but a bit delighted and exhuberant that i am finally a Man now. And this lady that is pregnant for me is already thinking of parking into my house to live with me and to send my wife away as she is not ready to become a second wife, uptill now i am afraid to open up to my wife what has happened, my friends are pressing on me to send the first one away and "marry this fruitful vine" but i still love her dearly. And as a christian i am so confused because my religious and church doctrines (deeper life bible church) only supports monogamy and Strictly prohibits polygamy. I need some advices please.
Though i am very impressed about her pregnancy and cant wait to see my child.
Should I wait for this lady to deliver the baby and after

Strictly prohibits ko. Strictly allowance ni.

Now u remember you are a Strong christian. but when u were busy frolicking with another woman who is not your wife you did not know.

mtcheeeew!

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by freecocoa(f): 9:45am On Aug 05, 2015
Truckpusher:
Well, that's his headache .

This is one reason there should be some form of test running before anything grin
What sort of mentality is this? What if they haven't tried to get pregnant? Are you saying people can't control themselves or what?
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by skyfullofstars(f): 9:45am On Aug 05, 2015
Guys, have you noticed that the man who post it doesn't own the story? He copied and pasted it from somewhere else. So if I were you, I would stop saying "you" when answering...
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by lovemode: 9:46am On Aug 05, 2015
Chuksgeo:
Yes it is very wrong, wait on God, for there shall be none barren in zion"
bros forget dat thing....the issue is complicated o....yes it is true God said so......'for there shall be non barren in zion',but some ladies made dem self barren......in as much as wat d man did was wrong...we don't also knw wat d wife did dat made her not to concieve........wat if her womb was removed?.. of which no lady wil ever tell u wat she has done with herself in d past.in dis life time waits for nobody.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by damiloladuke: 9:46am On Aug 05, 2015
depends on who is responsible for the childlessness.. if it's the wife, then you can go further to remarry. it's a consequence of her past actions ..

CHECK MY SIGNATURE TO READ MY FUNNY SECRET DIARY
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Hallams(m): 9:48am On Aug 05, 2015
slye:

The only sensible comment in this thread wink......bro, none of them have been in your shoes so expect them to give comments like say na moimoi issue.But note that ur promiscuity outta wedlock is a great sin.

Polygamy is a sin they will say, yet the bible explains prophets of God married more than one woman except jesus who didnt marry!...mtcheew... Confused beings!
this isnt about being confused as you can see the secretary wants him to send his wife packing .so will it be easy for him to keep both of them since one doesnt like the other.if he keeps both of them the secretary will do anything to make sure the wife leaves the house
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by JustCurious: 9:48am On Aug 05, 2015
mianyaegbu:

Wow! Marriage is never complete without a child?!? Huh?

Mind you, this secretary in question is ONLY 3 weeks PREGNANT, for crying out loud, she doesn't have a child yet.

Now, tell me what would happen, in a worse scenario if she loses the pregnancy before term and can't have a child for some time or anymore? Would you suggest the op go all out again, seeking for whom he may 'devour'?!

I understand the sensitivity of this topic, especially the effect it's gonna have on the wife. However, Patience remains a virtue..

To be fair, we need to look at things from both angles (husband and wife's). Lastly, kindly tell if you would be kind enough to suggest to the wife, (if she were our sister) to leave her husband for another one until she got an offspring?

#JustCurious
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by gbenga4my(m): 9:49am On Aug 05, 2015
Shut the Bleep off , may you rot in hell if you mention religion one more time . Your religion didn't permit polygamy but it permit adultery right ? Nd to worsen the whole case, you gonna send the legally married wife packing for a slut ? Am sure you don't know what you are saying.
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 05, 2015
Firefire:
sad

I HATE divorce saith the lord. Malachi 2:16

Where are the biblical teachings you received all over the years ?

Where is the sound doctrine you were taught by W. F. Kumuyi?

Bro, follow your mind and expect the repercussion later.

However, he that has an ear...
HE HATE DIVORCE BUT DIDN'T SAY DIVORCE IS A SIN. GET THAT TO YOUR HEAD undecided

THERE IS SOME CERTAIN FOOD YOU HATE, BUT YOU WON'T CLASSIFIER THE FOOD AS SIN!!

WHY ARE YOU PEOPLE READING BIBLE UPSIDE DOWN
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by lovemode: 9:51am On Aug 05, 2015
moca:
Nonsense!

Assuming u r the one who couldnt give ur wife belle nko?

Can she go outside?

Can she tell d world her boo is impotent?

Warped and myopic nigerian mentality.

What happened to adoption?

Jeez!

What is wrong with these folks.
SMH
why shud one adopt wen there re chances of having ur own flesh and blood.......adoption is easier said dan done.....its d only option wen all hope is lost.
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Lordjohnsen: 9:52am On Aug 05, 2015
Hello my friend,let me give U d best advise that money can not buy.When U first met ur wife U made some promises to her which living with her till death is part of the promises,keep ur child,but make it unknown to her till the lady delivers the child,after delivery tell ur wife and beg her for forgivenes for breaking one of ur promises to her then when the baby is about two years let him come and stay with ur wife,don't send ur wife away,way if she is ur sister I know U will not b happy for some other man to do her such.best of luck friend,apply wisdom,U might b call for problem to chase away ur wife,do U think she is happy,do U think it doesn't bother her.use ur wisdom man
Re: Is It Right To Marry A Second Wife Since The First Couldn't Bear Me A Child? by Mariojane(f): 9:53am On Aug 05, 2015
OP i don't read long story but read yours cos the topic attracts me. and all through the story i did not see anywhere you wrote you both went for medical test and the doctor confirm you are okay or there is a problem somewhere. i have a friend that was in a relationship for 7years and never get pregnant all through the years. she became so worried that she may be a problem for the guy after marriage when the family start disturbing them. she decided to go for medical test without the guy knowing with the intention of leaving the guy if she is the problem to avoid in-laws problem after marriage. fortunately for her, she was certified perfect in everyway. she still was not convinced until she convince the guy to go for sperm test and lo the guy was their problem. she made a promise not to leave the guy cos of that problem that since there is a solution they will find it together. if the lady was the problem do you think the guy would have stayed with her?

reason for my story: 1. why not go for test if you have not done that. it should be the first thing to do before marriage after your genotype and blood group test to avoid family problem.
2. what if you are the problem and your secretary is bringing you a bastard?
3. there is more to marriage than children. if you ve adopted kids after 5years without no child you will be happy parent now. there are homes with lots of kids but no joy not in terms of money but there is no love in the home.
4. if you are certain you are the owner of the baby tell the secretary to either endure with your wife or stay separately.
5. she has been flirting with you, what gives you the impression she has not the flirting with other guys too. she may just be looking for a place to dump her pregnancy. think wisely before acting.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

DOUBLE TRAGEDY: 2 Kids Corpses Found In Deep Freezer / 2 Missing Kids Found In Kaduna (Photos) / ...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.