Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,304 members, 7,815,548 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:22 PM

Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) (20266 Views)

My Cucumber And Tomatoes Farm In Abakaliki, Ebonyi State / My Cucumber Farming Experience In Lagos / My Watermelon/cucumber Experience.by Iconfarms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by haftob(m): 12:15am On Jan 19, 2015
Following keenly!

And to the mods, this thread must NOT be on the frontpage, if u can't spend ur time wisely to search for things lyk dis on NL, then u don't worth seeing dis type of info.
Don't get me wrong,I'm nt being selfish, just dat some things shud just be the way they shud be.

4 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by PapaBrowne(m): 12:39am On Jan 19, 2015
haftob:
Following keenly!

And to the mods, this thread must NOT be on the frontpage, if u can't spend ur time wisely to search for things lyk dis on NL, then u don't worth seeing dis type of info.
Don't get me wrong,I'm nt being selfish, just dat some things shud just be the way they shud be.

I totally agree. Front page kills very valuable threads. Maybe they can frontpage it much later after like 2 months.

2 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by PapaBrowne(m): 12:48am On Jan 19, 2015
Interesting project. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys beat the profit projections as the commitment and excellence applied from the beginning would certainly pay off.
I'm proud of you guys. Jasper, you are such an inspiration. Despite the health challenge you had, you keep pushing. Abeg small small with the manual labour oh.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 6:52am On Jan 19, 2015
PapaBrowne:
Interesting project. I wouldn't be surprised if you guys beat the profit projections as the commitment and excellence applied from the beginning would certainly pay off.
I'm proud of you guys. Jasper, you are such an inspiration. Despite the health challenge you had, you keep pushing. Abeg small small with the manual labour oh.
my brother, thanks. it's not easy. but as nobody wan work, the project must go on. grin
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by cava: 7:51am On Jan 19, 2015
@jasper , kalusam ,jethro are you going to repeat this same project after the jan 31 training. i will very much interested to join both as a student and as an investor. thank you guy for this inspiration; i am following with keen interest
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 7:58am On Jan 19, 2015
cava:
@jasper , kalusam ,jethro are you going to repeat this same project after the jan 31 training. i will very much intrested to join both as a student and as an investor
No oooo. abeg. stress too much o. Lol
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by world1(m): 9:10am On Jan 19, 2015
jasper7:

no be beans o. but as you rightly noted, most of this stuff are cheaper in osha. the organic fertilizer and seedling tray are from the seed company in owerri. while the coco peat is from abeokuta. grin I think what is worth doing is worth doing well. maybe I'll ask them to add knapsack to the consignment (that's if it has not been sent already). This info might come in very useful in the long run. I appreciate ma
Guys welldone.
I am blessed knowing you guys keep up the good work.
We killed some bush meat in HPV yesterday I will keep yours.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by stagger: 9:16am On Jan 19, 2015
farmerspolice:
Noted! a file is opened for u n I'm patiently waiting.

Na who be dis one? Who made you farmers police? Better take yourself out of this place. Nonsense.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Daniel058(m): 10:45am On Jan 19, 2015
farmerspolice:
If u are advertising anything on this section, u must be transparent. All we need is ur picture, pictures of ur products, or services & u on d field. Be informed that there are spies all around u confirming ur claims. If u fall into d fraudster category, u will be dealt with both online & offline.
guy , E go good well well if you apply to b a MOD in JOKE section grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Ofido(m): 11:46am On Jan 19, 2015
Welldone guys.... Mercilicious, world1 got some bush meat hope u accept from him... one love
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by FarmTech(m): 1:24pm On Jan 19, 2015
jasper7:
I reject anything that wants to derail this thread. people must benefit from this thread. cool.

after much bull fight and war, the budget got approved on the Friday the 16th at about. And the money was paid into our account manager's account (kalusam). we were already running a race against time. so we hurriedly sent money to the seed company for the seed and technical support. we also paid for the mulching film, seedling tray, coco peat and organic fertilizer too. To be way-billed to us from far-away Onitsha. that was all we could achieve from Wednesday to Friday.

Please the purpose of this thread is to show intending cucumber farmers that it is not an easy task at all. incase you start feeling that money will fall from heaven to your laps.

Moving On
Pls, how much was the mulching films? And what is the coco peat used for?
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by FarmTech(m): 1:32pm On Jan 19, 2015
PapaBrowne:

I totally agree. Front page kills very valuable threads. Maybe they can frontpage it much later after like 2 months.
I have similar thing in mind. If u send it to the front page now, it will be filled with a lot of low quality comments from lots of amateurs.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by FarmTech(m): 1:36pm On Jan 19, 2015
@Jasper, I came across sth few days ago and I think it might interest you. It's called soil sterilization using black sheets. You can read it up here: https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=soil+sterilization+with+sheet+and+sun&oq=soil+sterilization+with+sheet+and+sun&aqs=chrome..69i57.17335j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8. U may not need it here bc of the time constraint.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by niyisky: 2:12pm On Jan 19, 2015
undecided
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2015
FarmTech:

Pls, how much was the mulching films? And what is the coco peat used for?
from onitsha, we ordered the extended quality at 3k per 100m roll. but the commercial quality is about 2500.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jethro2: 3:53pm On Jan 19, 2015
jasper7:
still saturday, the 17th.
After agreeing to visit the farm and work. me and my team set out to the farm, on getting there. I must confess, the land mass seemed to have multiplied itself 10X. it was looking more like 70acres to me. my hand no fit lift implement again. Manual Labour no be here at all.

We all agreed that the first step would be getting read of the pests as much as possible. how do we achieve? set the whole bush around on fire grin. Me I quickly told them that I have no experience in bush burning. I have never been involved in bush burning. cheesy.
Jethro and kalusam are the professional in that field.

oya bring matches! They brought. oya Jethro start fire! she tried but couldn't (after like 10 attempts). bush burning no easy o. Kalusam now stepped up first strike of the match, and the bush was on fire!!! It was amazing!! I have never seen stuff like that before. the way he was piloting the fire and chasing it made me give him a royal title (Osuofia one of saki east grin). Altho the fire quenched later in the most anti-climatic way. it had done quite some work. it was interesting. we had fun.
Lol. @ 10 attempts. Who was counting for you?
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by gunuvi(m): 6:02pm On Jan 19, 2015
farmerspolice:
If u are advertising anything on this section, u must be transparent. All we need is ur picture, pictures of ur products, or services & u on d field. Be informed that there are spies all around u confirming ur claims. If u fall into d fraudster category, u will be dealt with both online & offline.
Pls stop your nonsense. Very important and educative thread like this and you are making fool of yourself.
My brother or if you are a female, pls try and be civilized. This is not the way to correct people. Learn!!!

1 Like

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 8:50pm On Jan 19, 2015
Monday 19th January. 7:20pm. just came back from our site. it has been a long long day. we have a new member to our production team, he is more of an apprentice. Mr Solomon (solbash11).

8:45pm. still unable to get Labour for the land preparation. now sitting on the house of one of the local farmers. we are begging him to help us secure labour by tomorrow no matter the cost. we are already late on our production timeline.

sourcing out labour is a very huge problem here o. na wa o. even with all the money we are dangling in their face. what has happened to the hustle spirit of the average Nigerian youth? sad

4 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Kalusam(m): 9:01pm On Jan 19, 2015
Great step-by-step guide jasper7. If you are following this thread closely, you will avoid lots of mistakes you would have made in setting up a million Naira cucumber project!

2 Likes

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Angoni(m): 12:18am On Jan 20, 2015
Hi Jasper7,

Fine work as usual!

Three questions, do you have a market yet? Is cucumber all you gonna grow? Those labor guys, I think you are charging below min wage, how much you are offering per person per day?

Please send pictures when you can, I mean new ones of land being prepared etc etc. I want to make sure when I go the the field to do this on my own I have all the tools, if you know what I mean!!!

Bless,

A
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 1:17am On Jan 20, 2015
Angoni:
Hi Jasper7,

Fine work as usual!

Three questions, do you have a market yet? Is cucumber all you gonna grow? Those labor guys, I think you are charging below min wage, how much you are offering per person per day?

Please send pictures when you can, I mean new ones of land being prepared etc etc. I want to make sure when I go the the field to do this on my own I have all the tools, if you know what I mean!!!

Bless,

A

Not at all o. we are giving a good offer, N2,000 for a day job sounds pretty good enough. (my opinion). maybe am wrong.

About market, I am in the production unit. I did well to set up a marketing unit to start sourcing for potential market and so far they have done an immense job.

And concerning pictures, they will come, I have the whole timeline of photos so far on my fone. just poor network to upload them
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Pavore9: 6:22am On Jan 20, 2015
@jasper7, getting farm hands can be frustrating, l know how it was begging villagers to come and work but they were not just interested! When you happen to find yourself at the mercy of Abakaliki labourers, you will know that truly A is for Apple!

1 Like

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Denn(m): 6:25am On Jan 20, 2015
mercylicious:
i also hope u made provision for logistics- transport and phone calls in ur budget. though it lloks small, bt when u aggregate it, u know how far.

you are right. Transport and Telephone has been a major gulper.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 9:10am On Jan 20, 2015
Pavore9:
@jasper7, getting farm hands can be frustrating, l know how it was begging villagers to come and work but they were not just interested! When you happen to find yourself at the mercy of Abakaliki labourers, you will know that truly A is for Apple!

hehehe. you speak the truth sir. A is indeed for Apple. I have realised this and I am beginning to appreciate the lazy workers in my own farm @ owerri. at least they show up on a daily basis cheesy

1 Like

Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Pavore9: 9:14am On Jan 20, 2015
jasper7:

hehehe. you speak the truth sir. A is indeed for Apple. I have realised this and I am beginning to appreciate the lazy workers in my own farm @ owerri. at least they show up on a daily basis cheesy
l suffer!
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 9:24am On Jan 20, 2015
Ok work has finally started on the land. grin the local farmer delivered 2 labourers this morning, although he promised 7 (why am I not surprised?). but as they say, "half bread is better than none". they've started land preparation, in the most illiterate and unprofessional manner angry am actually a bit disappointed, I miss tractors embarassed
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 12:55pm On Jan 20, 2015
Just went to check on the job being done by my Labour hands a few minutes ago. it is a disaster!! the beds look like snake tracks, thin, narrow and far for being straight. what happened to following the pegging and model that was given to them

I have no option than to relieve them of their duties, because they are grossly incompetent.

the problem with thin, narrow and curved beds is staking. if the beds are not straight or slightly bent, staking will be a problem. if the the beds are too thin and narrow, I can't plant at both ends, because I have to give a 50cm spacing between each seed.

Now we are back to square one, I have to start searching for new labour.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Liferace: 2:42pm On Jan 20, 2015
I have been a silent follower of your posts Jasper.....but i feel a need to encourage you :-) ..I hope and pray you get competent hands with the project going forward...Attitude of some Nigerians can be very annoying,give them simple instruction they find it difficult to follow.Little wonder why a lot of people bring in people from abroad!!..
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by Soloxam(m): 2:50pm On Jan 20, 2015
Following ...........
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by psalm68(m): 3:53pm On Jan 20, 2015
jasper7:
Just went to check on the job being done by my Labour hands a few minutes ago. it is a disaster!! the beds look like snake tracks, thin, narrow and far for being straight. what happened to following the pegging and model that was given to them

I have no option than to relieve them of their duties, because they are grossly incompetent.

the problem with thin, narrow and curved beds is staking. if the beds are not straight or slightly bent, staking will be a problem. if the the beds are too thin and narrow, I can't plant at both ends, because I have to give a 50cm spacing between each seed.

Now we are back to square one, I have to start searching for new labour.

lol @ snake tracks,jasper i understant how labourers can be most times.i am sure that u will find a way round it
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by farmerspolice: 4:39pm On Jan 20, 2015
gunuvi:

Pls stop your nonsense. Very important and educative thread like this and you are making fool of yourself.
My brother or if you are a female, pls try and be civilized. This is not the way to correct people. Learn!!!
If by reading this u feel its nonsense then it means u don't really know wats going on around u.... OPEN UR EYES.
Re: Another Million Naira Cucumber Experience Picture Diary. (YOP1 PROJECT) by jasper7(m): 6:00pm On Jan 20, 2015
full house in saki. our coordinator just came in with another member of the group. The final member of the production team. we are now 5 in number.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Start Water Melon Farming In Nigeria / Let Us Go Vertical And Earn Some Income. / Any Idea Of Where I Can Source For Ogbono And Crayfish @very Cheaper Rate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.