Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,685 members, 7,831,125 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

Welcome To My Office - Career (69) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Welcome To My Office (147469 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / The Ladies In My Office Are Milking Me Dry. / I Rejected A 2 Year Bond By My Office Sending Me On A One Week Course To Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (77) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Welcome To My Office by chamber2(m): 4:03pm On Nov 25, 2012
really? it's not me oh.

I dey sir! It's hard putting food on one's table ohh grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 7:05pm On Nov 25, 2012
@jarus
My case is not very different from yours I have 3 weeks leave left for this year and I'm not sure how it will play out o...

@chamber2, stryda, blood, extremebase, funky medina, hottie, obinoscopy and all the others
Welcome to the zones,

A childbirth(is that correct?) and a resignation(oyel money calling) has left my dept understaffed in terms of my JD, I'm now the only one available that does what I do, pple think I can cope cos I've been at it longer tha the other two but that'll be possible only if the 'system' works. Now I have to inspect plan and sometimes execute which is annoying enough already. Can I not just do my job well and be seen as competent? Must I carry another person's duties on my shoulder just so everything runs smooth?

A plus is that of recent I've noticed my engineering is better than before, so I've actually improved, still feel like there are a million and one things I should know that I dont. Doesnt help that there's this engineering forum I visit when I need more info and it doesnt seem like I'll ever be able to match up with the guys there in terms of depth, but still I'm getting to that place where I'm not scared I might have nothing to contribute when there's a problem in my section. Idon dey become a local champion... grin

Still scheming and planning for the future though, God is on the throne!
Re: Welcome To My Office by blood1(f): 12:33am On Nov 26, 2012
Thanks NETOTSE!
Re: Welcome To My Office by chyseth(m): 4:18pm On Dec 04, 2012
my own, like Jarus, i got my confirmation some months back. now am on leave but i cant go because am still the one signing office cheques. am just wondering why they approved the annually leave for me when they know that they will not allow me proceed on the leave.

the office is as challenging as it is interesting anyway. i wont deny them sha. them the pay well well sha. ok u re welcome to my office

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office by AjanleKoko: 5:00pm On Dec 08, 2012
Haven't posted on this thread for a while. Hmm.

@Topic,
2012 is almost a wrap. I have two weeks more, and I shut down till 2nd week in January. wink
Re: Welcome To My Office by olabode89(m): 3:28pm On Dec 17, 2012
Good day peeps......... i"ve been reading through this thread for more than a year now, I finally got a job as an associate with one of the big 4 bout 2 weeks ago. The experience have been awesome. I'm an engineering graduate who had a change of mind about the Career path to follow (decided to go for accounting(audit) then later switch to finance). Learning and getting used to all dem accounting stuffs and terms has been cool and frustrating sometimes, bout 1-3hrs is usually spent printing, scanning, photocopying, dropping/picking up FS for seniors and managers angry . I get to see new faces everyday at the office, guys coming back from either engagements or exams some extremely nice some reserved. i've been undergoing some E-learnings everyday damn very boring but informative for someone with zero accounting background...... i've got to run dis Partner just dey look me like say i collect him bread...lols tongue

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 12:04am On Dec 18, 2012
olabode89: Good day peeps......... i"ve been reading through this thread for more than a year now, I finally got a job as an associate with one of the big 4 bout 2 weeks ago. The experience have been awesome. I'm an engineering graduate who had a change of mind about the Career path to follow (decided to go for accounting(audit) then later switch to finance). Learning and getting used to all dem accounting stuffs and terms has been cool and frustrating sometimes, bout 1-3hrs is usually spent printing, scanning, photocopying, dropping/picking up FS for seniors and managers angry . I get to see new faces everyday at the office, guys coming back from either engagements or exams some extremely nice some reserved. i've been undergoing some E-learnings everyday damn very boring but informative for someone with zero accounting background...... i've got to run dis Partner just dey look me like say i collect him bread...lols tongue

Dude welcome o...abeg try stick around make you dey teach me the lingo, meself don dey plant enter management in the near future...lol
Re: Welcome To My Office by olabode89(m): 8:28am On Dec 18, 2012
netotse:

Dude welcome o...abeg try stick around make you dey teach me the lingo, meself don dey plant enter management in the near future...lol

at ur service sir!!!!!! grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by MCLION1(f): 1:44am On Dec 22, 2012
Wow,dis tread is very interesting.Stil awake goin tru d different experiences. Congrats Mr Jarus,n al odas. Longing 2 d day I wil share my own experience,Am stil lukin 4 job 4 now,studied geology wit a vry nice grade,vry inteligent,honest n hardworking.D job search has not been easy wit d who U knw dat is presently in vogue,hav been writing series of aptitude tests n aplicatns but witout knwin anybody,I hav nt been getin positive response but I blive in wot d Almity God can do,dat one day,I wil als share my own experience here.Am lukin up2 dat day cos I can't wait 2 share my testimony.Very Merry Christmas 2 evryone,&Remain blessd.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by PaulJohn1: 10:07am On Jan 02, 2013
long thread but still very interesting
Re: Welcome To My Office by ocelot2006(m): 8:04pm On Jan 05, 2013
It's 2013 and the pages of this thread keeps increasing. Kudos to all the contributors, and a happy new year to everyone.

Well, the year started on a not-so-good note for me. First, the holidays came to an end and I had to say goodbye to the Mrs and family (yep, it s@#ked). And one of our power contractors seems quite keen on incurring my wrath (you'd think they'd at least stick to their new year resolution to improve their performance). Oh well, I've got something in mind for them.

Anyway, 2013 promises to be quite an exciting year. I hope to inspect and integrate a couple of new sites (including one located a bit over 1300ft above sea level...wahala dey) before the end of 1st quarter. I only hope the folks at Transmission planning and BSS are through with the necessary work-orders needed for implementation.

'will also be hitting the books real hard this year as I intend to write the project mgt certification exam.

And I finally intend to switch coys, and possibly jobs. Field work has been great, but it taking a lil toll on my family life. It's time to make a change.

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office by olabode89(m): 7:58am On Jan 07, 2013
wow! the break is over, resumed at work 2day......... lots of stuff to do and learn..... bring it on! grin
Re: Welcome To My Office by momomufasa: 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2013
It has been quite an interesting read. Started from Jan 2011 grin grin grin

I enjoyed my holidays and i wish it didn't have to end. Started work about a year and 2 months ago, where i work as a Support Administrator in a University. Work started today after 2 weeks break and i didn't even look forward to it cause it's been the same 'ol task day in day out.

Will be popping in this thread as time goes by and you peeps should keep posting o. @jarus @ajanlekoko @netotse @others

cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Welcome To My Office by bizzle2: 2:31pm On Jan 07, 2013
I'm at a point in my life where I need to make a very critical decision, I'm a young Mechanical engineering graduate with very limited funds and time, been in the job market for a while hasnt been too swell, so I need to step my game up a notch but I'm currently in a fix; Which of the above do u fink holds the best prospects for a young Mech Engr with little or no experience trying to startup a career. I rily need to make an informed choice

AWS CWI certification I'm told is quite valuable with the right contacts; some say an MSc would be a better choice; I'm computer savvy and i enjoy tasks involving research and design so I'm also looking at learning one or two engineering softwares (PDMS,HYSYS etc I dnt evn knw wch one yet)...So I'm in a bit of a quagmire now. If i could afford it I woulda done a combination of some but I cnt right now, I need to start with one,so which ever I decide to do now must give me a good start. Please I need your informed opinions. Bless
Re: Welcome To My Office by Hopeville1(f): 6:53am On Jan 08, 2013
bizzle*:
I'm at a point in my life where I need to make a very critical decision, I'm a young Mechanical engineering graduate with very limited funds and time, been in the job market for a while hasnt been too swell, so I need to step my game up a notch but I'm currently in a fix; Which of the above do u fink holds the best prospects for a young Mech Engr with little or no experience trying to startup a career. I rily need to make an informed choice

AWS CWI certification I'm told is quite valuable with the right contacts; some say an MSc would be a better choice; I'm computer savvy and i enjoy tasks involving research and design so I'm also looking at learning one or two engineering softwares (PDMS,HYSYS etc I dnt evn knw wch one yet)...So I'm in a bit of a quagmire now. If i could afford it I woulda done a combination of some but I cnt right now, I need to start with one,so which ever I decide to do now must give me a good start. Please I need your informed opinions. Bless

There are some important questions you need to ask yourself:

1. Why did I study Mech. Eng in the first place?
2. Are those reasons still valid today?
3. Why do I want to become a CWI?
4. What is my interest and drive?

If you can answer the above two questions truthfully to yourself, you may as well be on your path to career excellence in no time.
Maybe I should wait for your answers before I say further...
All I can tell you at this point is "BEING IN A FIX CAN BE THE STARTING POINT OF AMAZING EXCELLENCE... IT CAN ALSO BE THE STARTING POINT OF DISGUSTING RUIN"

2 Likes

Re: Welcome To My Office by bizzle2: 12:58pm On Jan 09, 2013
1. Chose the discipline cos it pretty much embodies my interests; 'm fascinated by technology, i love tasks involving design and analysis, i like to think and I'm good wt my hands
2. Sure, the reasons are very much valid
3. Why CWI?...in all honesty its mostly d Money, I'm told welding inspection is financially rewarding if u cn find ur way in
4. My interests are as listed above. I'm driven by a thirst for success, a strong desire to excel in whatever venture, and I really like to see the reasonable Impact I make. m sort of a perfectionist so I cn be very resilient whn i want certain results.
Hope ville:

There are some important questions you need to ask yourself:

1. Why did I study Mech. Eng in the first place?
2. Are those reasons still valid today?
3. Why do I want to become a CWI?
4. What is my interest and drive?

If you can answer the above two questions truthfully to yourself, you may as well be on your path to career excellence in no time.
Maybe I should wait for your answers before I say further...
All I can tell you at this point is "BEING IN A FIX CAN BE THE STARTING POINT OF AMAZING EXCELLENCE... IT CAN ALSO BE THE STARTING POINT OF DISGUSTING RUIN"
Re: Welcome To My Office by Hopeville1(f): 7:53am On Jan 10, 2013
bizzle*:
1. Chose the discipline cos it pretty much embodies my interests; 'm fascinated by technology, i love tasks involving design and analysis, i like to think and I'm good wt my hands
2. Sure, the reasons are very much valid
3. Why CWI?...in all honesty its mostly d Money, I'm told welding inspection is financially rewarding if u cn find ur way in
4. My interests are as listed above. I'm driven by a thirst for success, a strong desire to excel in whatever venture, and I really like to see the reasonable Impact I make. m sort of a perfectionist so I cn be very resilient whn i want certain results.

You strike me as a very promising young man whose confusion stems from the environment around him. If choosing CWI is mostly for the money then, be sure that your weigh the pros and cons properly; a brief insight: What if you are unable to get the right connections? What if your connection is no more there when you become CWI (trust me, it happened to me)? What if CWI kills/dampens your interest and talent (Good with your hands)?

I have not done a thorough evaluation about you and your background but, one thing I can say from the answers you have given is: CWI might fetch you some good income (for a while) but other specialties will definitely do much better for you.

Next round of questions:

1. Do you aspire to study up to PhD level if given the opportunity?
2. Do you aspire to be an inventor - converting your innovative skills into legacy and cash?

If yes, drop me an email (hopevilleedu@gmail.com) and we can exchange ideas further.

All the best.
Re: Welcome To My Office by bizzle2: 1:09pm On Jan 10, 2013
thank you,
k, will do
Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 11:20pm On Jan 24, 2013
Hey pple,

Works turning out pretty well, even though the past couple of days have been very rough, I can tell I've grown a lot as an engineer in these past two years.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to have a chat with our plant manager, he'll prolly offer me my dream position on the plant grin, if it works out your's truly will be the power plant contracts coordinator for our generation plant. This will be me coming full circle, in simple english, my break from the power side of engineering could be over.

Great thing is that I'll be exposed to the biz side of power which ties in nicely with my future plans. We're still short staffed in maintenance so I might have to combine two JDs but as long as I get the power plant position I dont mind. Idont expect them to put me on the coordinator level just yet (make I put half yansh on the seat first, I go fight that battle later tongue grin).

It is good.

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by elewedu(m): 9:55pm On Jan 27, 2013
netotse: Hey pple,

Works turning out pretty well, even though the past couple of days have been very rough, I can tell I've grown a lot as an engineer in these past two years.

Tomorrow I'm supposed to have a chat with our plant manager, he'll prolly offer me my dream position on the plant grin, if it works out your's truly will be the power plant contracts coordinator for our generation plant. This will be me coming full circle, in simple english, my break from the power side of engineering could be over.

Great thing is that I'll be exposed to the biz side of power which ties in nicely with my future plans. We're still short staffed in maintenance so I might have to combine two JDs but as long as I get the power plant position I dont mind. Idont expect them to put me on the coordinator level just yet (make I put half yansh on the seat first, I go fight that battle later tongue grin). guy, na lafarge u dey?

It is good.
Re: Welcome To My Office by diggler(m): 12:31pm On Jan 31, 2013
Damn!
Its been almost a year I havent posted on my fav thread.

Well I kinda kept touch tjo the thread has slowed a whole lot.

A lot has happened since, Still @ the sam hustle but in a different role in a different city.

Started growing a pot belly despite my best efforts. (damn all those late night swallow & the beering)

Y'all keep up the hustle.

Peace
Re: Welcome To My Office by tokebayode: 1:06pm On Jan 31, 2013
Can som1 help me hw dragnet used to set
their questns.....i get a test scheduled on 1
feb.....pls very urgent!!!thnks
Re: Welcome To My Office by rmgbemeje: 4:55pm On Feb 01, 2013
Hey guys,

I just discovered this thread today and i must say, its an interesting one. I am working with a financial firm as an analyst. The job is ok but i must confess, am tired of it. Same routine and i no longer feel challenged. I am seriously looking for a better job now and off cause *higher pay*, lol. I am hoping on GOD to bless me with one this quarter.

I will surely update you guys when that happens. Bye for now
Re: Welcome To My Office by Jarus(m): 11:03pm On Feb 05, 2013
I congratulate one of our active participants in this thread, oyb, who was recently elevated to the post of manager. It's been some months now though.

Congrats boss!!! Your boy is still loyal. Lol.

Oya, declare for the boys o

1 Like

Re: Welcome To My Office by netotse(m): 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2013
Jarus: I congratulate one of our active participants in this thread, oyb, who was recently elevated to the post of manager. It's been some months now though.

Congrats boss!!! Your boy is still loyal. Lol.

Oya, declare for the boys o
@ oyb
Congrats o, so you wan code am from boys ehn?
Re: Welcome To My Office by ubaobi: 9:41am On Feb 16, 2013
Nice thread....been working for the past 6 months as a systems maintenance engineer. though i read Elect/Electronics. wish to up my game though by getting a professional certification. but kinda confused the path to take between MCSA Windows Server 2012 and MCSE Enterprise Desktop Administrator (windows 7) even though there is an upgrade path from the latter to the former. also dont know if i ll venture into windows 8 certification instead of a windows 7 cert given the kind of reception the OS has gotten. appreciate ur advice peeps.

(1) (2) (3) ... (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) ... (77) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.