Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,414 members, 7,822,925 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today (958 Views)

The Mistake That Killed My Husband / Endorse Topics To Make The Frontpage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today by Orikinla(m): 5:26pm On Dec 22, 2008
I lost $600 today at the over-crowded Balogun market in Lagos, Nigeria.

I went to meet with two business women and bought a bag for my Sweetest. The whole place was congested as thousands of people were buying and selling goods and the Christmas shopping makes Balogun to buzz with activities. I needed $600 to pay my editor for my new book. I decided to patronize the local foreign exchange dealers nearby and paid them N82, 800 for $600. I never suspected that they were fake and I left to make the money transfer at the Zenith Bank nearby. Whilst I was waiting, I asked one of the workers to check the dollars and he discovered that they were fake. I was disappointed and upset, but not shocked, because sharp practices are common on the streets of Lagos. This was my first time of being duped. The three criminals must be happy that they got away with my hard earned money and delayed the payment of my editor.

Do not make the mistake I made today.
Re: Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today by kay9(m): 11:53pm On Dec 22, 2008
You sound almost flip about the whole thing; wasn't the money yours? undecided I mean, if I lost N82,000, I'd cry till Christmas was over and I still wouldn't have cried enough.
Re: Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today by LadyT(f): 11:59pm On Dec 22, 2008
The guy is packing!

wink
Re: Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 23, 2008
as a nigerian, once i have changed money/bought shares/bought fancy electronics theres always a voice in my head saying 'this money may have entered bush'

you won't believe the ish nigerians get up to, esp if u don't have craze. once at an LG outlet, they almost sold me a used home thaetre system. if io hadn't insisted on opening the frayed box, it would have been another story later - naija land goods sold in good condition cannot be returned/30 day warranty
Re: Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today by KarmaMod(f): 8:22pm On Dec 23, 2008
That really sucks. Next time deal with mallams tongue

I sincerely hate losing money angry
Re: Do Not Make The Mistake I Made Today by tkb417(m): 9:01pm On Dec 23, 2008
ahhhh
na today u just dey change money?
Next time, u'll take the mallam to the bank or u call a well known mallam to meet u at the bank.
Aprt from buying fake currencies, u run the risk of being attacked if some street urchins know ure carrying foreign currency

lessons learnt sha . hope u no go mess up next time
kai, na beer money u don throway so
sorry

(1) (Reply)

Amazing Thread! / A Female Spoken Word Artist/ Poet Needed In Lagos For A Project / Seasoned Creative Writers Needed Urgently.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.