Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

HONDA BABY Boy Engine Change V6 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / HONDA BABY Boy Engine Change V6 (8723 Views)

What Went Wrong With Honda Baby Boy / Toyota Camry 1999/2000 Model And Honda Baby Boy / Car Engine Change (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: HONDA BABY Boy Engine Change V6 by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 27, 2015
chillex8:

Now, am telling you I have done it both ways back to back. With optimal engine management.

I suppose when Honda built 2 different ECU's for the J30 and J35, they simply did it for the fun of it, with no logic or direction they just wanted to spend a small fortune. It's a known fact that manufacturers WILL retain as much of the same parts as possible, to make them interchangeable across the board. And keep costs down.

0.5 cents saved per component may not sound like a lot. Then consider when 13 million units are produced, then that small saving becomes a billionaire's ransom.

Out of interest, how did you actually measure "optimal engine management", apart from driving these cars? cheesy

1 Like

Re: HONDA BABY Boy Engine Change V6 by disloman(m): 1:41pm On Jan 27, 2015
chillex8:

Replacing J30 with J35 is POSSIBLE.

Its done everywhere, consciously and otherwise.

I have replaced j35 with J30 on my personal Van.. Its still serving the current owner.

I have also slapped in a complete J30 engine and transmission into a 1999 honda odyssey.

Same harness.

Same ECU.

It was a plug and play.

And it worked.

This is HONDA.
good job.slap 4 urself.This will b my last reply to all ur bullsh1t u've bn posting here.I'm nt blog trained mechanic.Where i work taught mi 3 principles to work with n those principles av helped me alot.
1.Use n replace part with exact n original spare parts
2.never to outsmart d manufacturer
3.Always ask questions.
U said u did this,u did that.That's good 4 u.Had a car which a mech like urs changed d engine frm K24 to K20.D engine works but d rpm high.What's d cause?foolishness.i doubt if u avn't removed d engine light frm d dashboard permanently.we knw pple like u.wish i knw u d more but....................
Re: HONDA BABY Boy Engine Change V6 by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:05pm On Jan 27, 2015
Siena:

Bro, I'm not saying a J35 motor won't run with a J30 ECU.

It will. But it will NOT operate at its optimum. If you're happy to have a can that drives, without bothering about fuel, ignition and timing maps, then it's a good swap. One thing is certain - the J35 will NOT produce the same power with a J30 ECU.

Contrary to what you posted, the ECU's are NOT the same. Different part numbers, as can be expected. Both these engines have different camshafts, so the duration and timing WILL be different. So will the fuel requirements, the injectors will be bigger on the J35, and the pulse duration (duty cycle) will be wider.

In summary:

Running a J35 on a J30 ECU will result in under-fuelling, lean-running, hot-running and detonation. In extreme cases, resulting in damage to the piston crowns, burnt-out exhaust valves, and damaged spark plugs. Damaged spark plugs could end up with the electrodes breaking off, and dropping into the cylinders. The result? Scored cylinder bores, and excessive oil consumption.

Running a J30 on a J35 ECU will result in over-fuelling, hesitance at low to medium throttle openings. In extreme cases, resulting in bore wash and gasoline-diluted oil, eventually leading to premature piston ring and bore wear, and damaged crankshaft journals due to gasoline-diluted oil.

Excellent write up. I noticed this on a peugeot 406 E10 - E7 swap, every thing you explained here killed the engine in 6months. shocked

1 Like

Re: HONDA BABY Boy Engine Change V6 by chillex8(m): 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2015
disloman:
good job.slap 4 urself.This will b my last reply to all ur bullsh1t u've bn posting here.I'm nt blog trained mechanic.Where i work taught mi 3 principles to work with n those principles av helped me alot.
3.Always ask questions.
U said u did this,u did that.That's good 4 u.Had a car which a mech like urs changed d engine frm K24 to K20.D engine works but d rpm high.What's d cause?foolishness.i doubt if u avn't removed d engine light frm d dashboard permanently.we knw pple like u.wish i knw u d more but....................

Funny you. So in your "low-man" mind, its cos of the engine swap that made the rpm high

A honda mechanic indeed..

How many CVT's have you condemned with your Z1?

Why are you conforming that J30 worked in J35's place?

Cos you are saying it worked for me. Meaning somehow, your mentality agrees with the reality of such.

P.S: you are wanted in the honda city thread.
Re: HONDA BABY Boy Engine Change V6 by nams77: 8:49pm On Aug 07, 2019
disloman:
3.Always ask questions.
Sorry i had to drag you back to this thread.
Please what's your take on the Honda accord baby boy i4. I heard the transmission might be problematic and the legs do come off but it has a good engine. Will u advice a manual instead, even though i don't want to go back to manual cars again.
Pls i need your candid advice. Tnx

Cc: luvinhubby

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help! My Car's Auto Gear Is Misbehaving / Uwemjacks New Powerbike - Simba (BMW F800ST) / Recent Install: Mercedes Benz C-class Android 7.1.1 4G LTE (see Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.