Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

African Chicken - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / African Chicken (13876 Views)

Fattened Chicken Can Cause Food Poisoning, Infections –experts / I Made Fried Chicken For The First Time Today / Chinese Silkie - Naturally Black Chicken (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Chicken by Hauwa1: 11:44pm On Dec 23, 2008
Is there anything like african chicken? you go to african store and you will be hearing them, give me my africa chicken, how much is a pound, do you have bigger ones than that? i need 10 of them, when was it killed. . .so noisy. yoruba, igbo pidgin english will be heard in the noisy store.

So what is african chicken? are the chickens imported from nigeria or africa? true though it taste different. like the ones we eat at home. my east african friends said it's just too hard to chew! ummm grin why is it different from the oyinbo chickens here? why can't we find it in any store around? what i don't undy is why is the chicken only sold in african store?
Re: African Chicken by tpia: 2:05am On Dec 24, 2008
Re: African Chicken by SisiJinx: 2:29am On Dec 24, 2008
Hehehehe. . . . African Chicken is the Hard Chicken. Regular store (Oyinbo-Agric) chicken falls apart the moment the water temperature rises. By the time you want to fry it or do anything else,  it is pieces pieces you will be shaaing.
Re: African Chicken by Hauwa1: 2:50am On Dec 24, 2008
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

i no fit talk grin grin
Re: African Chicken by tpia: 2:52am On Dec 24, 2008
lol
Re: African Chicken by TOYOSI20(f): 6:15am On Dec 24, 2008
Huummmmmmmmmmmm, I love African chicken abeg, not only cos its real tasty, . . . . . cool

it also is able to last in ur stew as well compared to the 'other kind' shocked shocked
Re: African Chicken by tRoOE(f): 6:39am On Dec 24, 2008
[size=13pt]Hard Chicken is the best unlike that yeye soft chicken you can't even boil.
Am use to the soft chicken now since the city i live at doesn't have hard chicken
[/size]
Re: African Chicken by Hauwa1: 4:40pm On Dec 24, 2008
oh you have to cook that chicken for soooooooooooo long sigh!
you have to chew for long too last longer in your mouth.

you will have to floss/get toothpicks handy.

i love the stock from african chicken for jrice. oyinbo chicken stock na  lipsrsealed
nice for stew.

so where are those chicken from?

let's say you are eating the african chicken and someone knock your door. by the time you come back, the chicken will be so hard to chew na wah o all ya teeth go full of titty bitty meaty grin
Re: African Chicken by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 24, 2008
Never heard african chicken o. will make sure to ask for ti next time I go grocery shopping grin

Asian chicken nkor? cheesy grin
Re: African Chicken by Hauwa1: 4:49pm On Dec 24, 2008
the only grocery store to find it is the ones owned by nigerians or ghana.

asian deals in pork[table][/table] grin
Re: African Chicken by mohawkchic(f): 12:16am On Dec 25, 2008
~Lol @ your replies  cheesy We call it "Country Fowl" back home  grin

~In London,you can buy the African chicken with the head & Feet hanging on,for those who indulge in that bit of the chicken!! cheesy in all butcher stores owned by the Morocans,Turkish!! You pay extra to get the skin off,bought some today to do Pepper Chicken,its best w/ the african chicken,am told,i feel like indulging it instead of Turkey wink

~I opted out of eating the African chicken because it was chewy!! But recently,my m8 showed me the trick in getting it right,tender & Not chewy!! I was amazed it could actually come out not Chewy!!Never cooked it before but when i watched how she did it,am confident if i were to do it,it would come out the same  undecided  grin Here goes nothing,try it & see if it works for you!!

Rule No 1

~DO NOT put water in the pot!! the chicken itself has got loads of water so when you add water to the pot to bring to boil,it hardens the chicken instead of making it tender!!

~After washing the chicken,there's usually a small amount of water that's left on the chicken even after you've drained it,you add your seasoning to the chicken -cover the pot,leave to boil!!- whe the temperate rises from simmer to boil,you'll be amazed how much water bubbles out of the pot even without you putting/adding water on it!! don't put your cooker on a high gas mark!!

~There's no Rule No 2. cheesy . . .me just think people tend to put too much water in the pot when they stem the chicken & that makes it hard & chewy!
Re: African Chicken by benincitys(f): 11:12pm On Dec 25, 2008
Bio chicken is like Africa chicken try it out you will like it, nothing like they ship it from Africa they get it in the shop .
Re: African Chicken by Hauwa1: 4:05pm On Dec 26, 2008
i have 'african chicken' but i am yet to cook it. thinking of cooking and making stew with lots of ata rodo before the week runs out. then using the stock for jollof rice. . . still thinking.

christmas is over and i didn't cook african chicken shocked ummm

Mohawk, that's how my mom prep her chicken, no water. why i add water before cooking mine is what i don't know grin but i will try the no water method with this chicken in the fridge. i will time it too and see if it will be over 40mins. if so, then na the same thing grin
Re: African Chicken by Hauwa1: 4:06pm On Dec 26, 2008
Benincity, which one is Bio again? abeg o grin

which shop? tell us i want to know how the chicken became so hard in the land of the soft chicken.
Re: African Chicken by mohawkchic(f): 6:20am On Dec 30, 2008
*Hauwa*:

i have 'african chicken' but i am yet to cook it. thinking of cooking and making stew with lots of ata rodo before the week runs out. then using the stock for jollof rice. . . still thinking.

christmas is over and i didn't cook african chicken shocked ummm

Mohawk, that's how my mom prep her chicken, no water. why i add water before cooking mine is what i don't know grin but i will try the no water method with this chicken in the fridge. i will time it too and see if it will be over 40mins. if so, then na the same thing grin

~Lol,i suppose it wont hurt to try,let me know if it came out tender! grin
Re: African Chicken by Leilah(f): 2:22pm On Dec 31, 2008
yeah its called local hen its basically an aged out hen so the meat is harder. Yeah I have gotten to like it. I got fed up of the other chicken falling apart.
Re: African Chicken by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jan 01, 2009
isnt that what some pple call broiler/boiler chicken? not sure though.
u cant get it from ur normal grocery store.
Re: African Chicken by Hauwa1: 2:38pm On Jan 01, 2009
haha, Leilah you are an african lady grin welcome to the club of tough chicken.
Re: African Chicken by mohawkchic(f): 6:58am On Jan 02, 2009
OMO IBO:

[b]isnt that what some people call broiler/boiler chicken? not sure though.[/b]u can't get it from ur normal grocery store.

~Yeah,i've heard it been called Broiler too!
Re: African Chicken by Treetop20(m): 9:00pm On Jan 02, 2009
i love hen
just put it in the pressure cooker and in twenty mins
everything is done!
Re: African Chicken by Leilah(f): 6:45pm On Jan 05, 2009
I swear it tastes better.  As far as I know the term broiler chicken is like regular chickens that were bred in large broilers/sheds like this one:

I can't eat caged chicken meat or eggs, its absolutely disgusting given the terrible life they are given. Hens are normally too big for cages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broiler
Re: African Chicken by Nobody: 3:40am On Jan 09, 2009
African chicken is the best. I can't believe I'm fed up with chicken because of the nosense I eat here. embarassed

(1) (Reply)

The Tea Thread / Share Your Funny Cooking Mistakes Here.... / What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.