Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,862 members, 7,810,288 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? (13869 Views)

A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / 10 Things You Didn't Know About Cooking With Garlic / Let's Talk About Cooking Pots (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by CodeineJunkiee(m): 9:42am On Jul 27, 2014
What are the strange myths you've heard about cooking. Like me now, my mum says one doesn't cover draw soup when cooking it. Her reason is that, once covered it does not draw again shocked

Nairalanders feel free to add yours

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jul 30, 2014
CodeineJunkiee: my mum says one doesn't cover draw soup when cooking it. Her reason is that, once covered it does not draw again shocked
I cover my okra(no be draw soup too?) When cooking and it comes out green and draws fine.

@topic, I don't think there are many. Heard though, that when more than one person is involved in the wrapping of moin moin, they must all make small knots with moin moin leaves and drop inside the pot or the moin moin will be bad. True or false I don't know.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by CodeineJunkiee(m): 1:44pm On Jul 30, 2014
candy:
I cover my okra(no be draw soup too?) When cooking and it comes out green and draws fine.

@topic, I don't think there are many. Heard though, that when more than one person is involved in the wrapping of moin moin, they must all make small knots with moin moin leaves and drop inside the pot or the moin moin will be bad. True or false I don't know.

Lol I've heard about that one too and another one which is you have to put charcoal in moi moi if you don't want to let it go stale before wrapping it to cook

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by sammieguze(m): 4:52am On Jul 31, 2014
Myth 1... Dipping your hands in the pot of stew makes it sour

experiment... After numerous dipping of my hand in the pot in order to... You know.... I can say this is not true coz the soup don't get sour.

Hypotheses... Either my hands are super clean or this is just a myth...

Conclusion... Considering am nt the very meticulous type at that time, it is safe to conclude am nt germ free hence...... THIS IS JUST A MYTH

8 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by SmooshCHN: 4:54am On Jul 31, 2014
1, Grinding pepper with Stone (manually) makes the Stew sweeter.. undecided

12 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by natureblack(m): 4:59am On Jul 31, 2014
I heard when preparing dog-meat pepper-soup a lot of dry gin(kai-kai) must be applied.Lest the meat would be too fatty to eat.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by shadowwalker101: 5:05am On Jul 31, 2014
havent heard any
[img]http://www.?aff=391[/img]
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by kenono(m): 5:05am On Jul 31, 2014
My mum when adding bitterleaf to a soup always moves her hand in a circular motion over the pot before adding the leaves.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Barselonia(m): 5:10am On Jul 31, 2014
don't taste it When cooking
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by TallGalaxy: 5:12am On Jul 31, 2014
They are all fallacy
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Aphex(m): 5:17am On Jul 31, 2014
Lolz.... when cooking, and salt is too much, add salt to d fire either stove or firewood and the salt content will reduce. this is quite common

6 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Nobody: 5:17am On Jul 31, 2014
GOOGLE FACTS: don't travel while u are cooking. The food will get burnt!

17 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by adezjamz(m): 5:18am On Jul 31, 2014
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by MrRhymes101(m): 5:28am On Jul 31, 2014
when removing the feathers of a chicken, don't make noise or they grow back

27 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Smartsyn(m): 5:29am On Jul 31, 2014
That when cooking breadfruit and it refuse to done, that i should put a nail in the pot to hasten the process..

That i should never bring down a boiling corn from the fire, or it ll never be done again..

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by bravejurn: 5:33am On Jul 31, 2014
You loose apetite when u cook ur own food... Hunger never wire u grin

18 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by ElFenomeno1: 5:34am On Jul 31, 2014
^^^ grin

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Danielotuya(m): 5:34am On Jul 31, 2014
If you eat food from d pot while it is still on the fire, then it is going to rain during ur marriage ceremony. Frm the day i heard dis, i begin beg my smallie to stop eating food frm pot
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Ariyke: 5:38am On Jul 31, 2014
Aphex: Lolz.... when cooking, and salt is too much, add salt to d fire either stove or firewood and the salt content will reduce. this is quite common
wow first time am hearing this

8 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by bokunrawo(m): 5:49am On Jul 31, 2014
Yoruba's are the Most guilty set of Pple Concerning the issue of myth, for xample they say dat Pple should not eat fish head cos it makes dem dull, sme student will not read and they xpect 2pass because they are not eating the head of fish.......

HAVING ISSUES WITH UR UNDERGRADUATE PROJECT WORK CONTACT WWW.SIMPROSTORE.COM OR CALL
0810 752 1870

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by nickz(m): 5:51am On Jul 31, 2014
if you don't put anything into the pot directly with your hands it can never be sweet--till today i still crush seasoning cubes with my hands ........see juju gringringrin

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Yoney007(f): 5:54am On Jul 31, 2014
They said eating food from the fire directly makes one's temperamental.....Eating from fire is my specialty and guess what?? I use to have a silly temper till I started working on controlling it, still a work in progress and its better now. I still eat from the fire tho' cheesy

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by aminho(m): 5:56am On Jul 31, 2014
if u put your hand inside the stew it spoils

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by ObiOkpor(m): 6:22am On Jul 31, 2014
I've heard alot..
First,don't slice oha vegetable otherwise it will be bitter..
2,when boiling corn/maize,don't add salt,cause it will never done..
3,when cooking,don't taste it with spoon(this is for the male),otherwise your nipples will be like that of little girl developing breast.
4,when boiling strong meat,put nail to soften it..lols
5,a young lady that taste the spoon while cooking,hardly get married...
6,too many cooks spoil the food...
7,foods prepared with fire wood,is tastier than the one's prepared with gas,stove and the rest..
8,when you use onion in preparing soup,it gets sour in the next few hours....
*e plenty bt mk i stop here.Dnt ask me hw i take kn all dz*

13 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by onose1(f): 6:25am On Jul 31, 2014
*U don't sit while pounding yam,its a taboo
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by onose1(f): 6:26am On Jul 31, 2014
*U don't sit while pounding,its a taboo
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Opiosko: 6:29am On Jul 31, 2014
Yoney007: They said eating food from the fire directly makes one's temperamental.....Eating from fire is my specialty and guess what?? I use to have a silly temper till I started working on controlling it, still a work in progress and its better now. I still eat from the fire tho' cheesy
Eating from the fire ke? Hian! Poor glutton

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Dymaco(m): 6:31am On Jul 31, 2014
Eating from source
Eating from the pot.
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by adebayo201: 6:34am On Jul 31, 2014
Smh

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by elguaje(m): 6:35am On Jul 31, 2014
Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by englishmart(m): 6:38am On Jul 31, 2014
If you cook a meal, you will find it difficult to consume much from it!

1 Like

Re: What Are The Strange Myths You've Heard About Cooking? by Yoney007(f): 6:44am On Jul 31, 2014
Opiosko: Eating from the fire ke? Hian! Poor glutton

Na your opinion be that bros...You are entitled to it.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Indomie, Chikki Or O! Noodles: Which One Tastes Best? / Why Igbos Dey Fear Amala? / Please What Is The Yoruba Name Or Igbo Names Of These Fruits?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.