Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,534 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:41 PM

Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers (2206 Views)

TB Joshua & Ayo Babalola Listed Among World’s Most Famous Prophets / Pentecostal Pastors Are Satanic Agents - True worshipers Be Very Careful! / Pentecostal/Catholic Marriages: Why the Disagreement? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by JJYOU: 12:24am On Dec 24, 2008
Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers[b][/b]
Church planter Enoch Adeboye is included beside presidents as one of the world’s 50 most powerful people.

[12.22.08] One of the 50 most powerful people in the world is a Pentecostal preacher from Nigeria whose mission is to save souls.

So says Newsweek magazine in its Jan. 5 cover story, which includes Enoch Adeboye, general overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG), in its list of 50 world powerbrokers.

Adeboye and Pope Benedict XVI are the only Christian leaders on the list, which features both revered and reviled influencers including President-elect Barack Obama, the Clintons, Oprah Winfrey, Chinese President Hu Jintao, al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden and Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“I certainly agree with Newsweek on this,” Pentecostal historian Vinson Synan told Charisma. “I have visited [Adeboye’s] campground and preached in one of his large churches in Lagos. In terms of masses of followers and influence in Nigeria, as well as other nations, he is a dominating person with tremendous power.”

RCCG, which Adeboye has led since 1981, has some 5 million members in 14,000 congregations in Nigeria alone and hundreds more across 110 nations. In 2006, the Lagos-based church movement built a US. headquarters in Texas, and has planted several hundred churches nationwide.

“In the developing world we say we want churches to be within five minutes’ walk of every person,” Adeboye told Newsweek. “In the developed world, we say five minutes of driving.”

A former math instructor at the University of Lagos, Adeboye began working at RCCG translating the pastor’s sermons from Yoruba to English. He now travels the world preaching at services that can last as long as 12 hours.

Each month in Lagos, RCCG hosts an all-night prayer meeting at its Redemption Campground that draws several hundred thousand people. Every December, several million people travel from around the world to attend RCCG’s annual Holy Ghost Congress. The most recent congress ended on Sunday.

“If I were to name the top 10 apostles in the whole world, Adeboye would have to be there on the top of the list,” said C. Peter Wagner, president of Global Harvest Ministries and leader of the International Coalition of Apostles. He is also the editor of Out of Africa, which chronicles the growth of the charismatic movement in Nigeria.

“I attended his all-night prayer meeting the first Friday of the month, and the leaders apologized to me for the low attendance,” Wagner said. “They had only 300,000 the whole night long. Usually they have 500,000.”

Synan noted that the prosperity gospel is a central message at RCCG and within other prominent Nigerian Pentecostal ministries.“In Africa, prosperity means generally having a roof over your head and food to eat,” Synan said, adding that the prosperity message is also used negatively by some to promote the idea that Christians must give financially in order to receive God’s blessings.

Adeboye has avoided accusations of financial misdeeds or faking supernatural power, which have plagued many ministries in the nation. Nigerian government leaders seek his input on social issues, Newsweek noted, and he recently made a public-service announcement condemning discrimination against people who are HIV-positive.

Newsweek called Pentecostalism “the biggest, fastest-growing Christian movement since the Reformation,” with some 600 adherents around the world.

In North America, the number of Pentecostals has grown from 19 million in 1970 to roughly 77 million today, Newsweek reported. According to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, the numbers are even higher in Asia and Latin America, where Pentecostalism claims 166 million and 151 million followers respectively.

Grant Wacker, professor of Christian history at Duke University, estimates that by 2050 most of Africa will be Christian—and the majority of those converts will be Pentecostals.

“Pentecostals have such an impact because they talk of the here and now, not just the by and by,” Adeboye told Newsweek. “We pray for the sick, but we pray for their prosperity, for their overcoming of evil forces and so on. While we have to worry about heaven, there are some things God could do for us in the here and now.”

Although Adeboye is not as well known in the United States as he is in Nigeria, Wagner said he represents the new center of gravity for Christianity. “One of the things that excites me is that [Newsweek] had the wisdom to include a leader from the Global South because that is the focal point of growth and influence of the Christian church,” said Wagner, referring to Africa, Asia and Latin America.

“It’s absolutely necessary for us who have an older church that has not been on fire like it has in the past to look to the Global South and catch some of the fire that the Lord is setting there,” he added. “It is absolutely necessary.” –Adrienne S. Gaines
http://charismamag.com/cms/news/archives/1222082.php
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by bindex(m): 1:24am On Dec 24, 2008
Why are people believing frauds and liars like Adeboye? He onced lied that he drove for over 300km in a 504 during feul scarcity with about 4 litters of fuel to carry out Gods work. He claimed God powered the car. , Why does God not power the cars of other christains who have no fuel due to lack of money or scarcity?

1 Like

Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by lucabrasi(m): 2:19am On Dec 24, 2008
@poster
while this is a cause for happiness for me being a christian,i also see it as cause for concern and really difficult for me to defend if we still have situations like the child witches saga,nigerian children begging ,being raped e.t.c and the church isnt doing that much about it in spite of their world influences,the social reformers of old england rehabilitated the children in hostels feeding them and clothing them and changing them with words from the bible,they advocated for better prisons and treating prisoners better,e.t.c which our pentecostal churches seem to be lax about,not juding them though but im really concerned
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Nimshi: 5:22am On Dec 24, 2008
bindex:

Why are people believing frauds and liars like Adeboye? He onced lied that he drove for over 300km in a 504 during feul scarcity with about 4 litters of fuel to carry out Gods work. He claimed God powered the car. ,

Oh no, he didn't say this?! Did he? Of course he did, and it is repeated in the Newsweek article:

Adeboye experienced a miracle recently on a long and dangerous stretch of highway near Lagos, he says. His car was out of gas, and the gas stations were empty. Then God spoke to him, clearly, and said to keep driving. Adeboye drove 200 miles on empty. Could his gas gauge have been broken? No, he insists, God intervened "because of the need … in a crisis." Adeboye knows well what some in the West have forgotten: in today's world, everyone needs a Daddy

Yet, the article claims he is honest:

Behind Adeboye's extraordinary success is his reputation for honesty. While other Pentecostal pastors (including some Nigerians) have been accused of financial misdeeds or faking supernatural powers, Adeboye remains above the fray

Perhaps Adeboye's influence could be translated to something good for Nigerians who ply the Lagos-Ibadan expressway; perhaps, Lagos State Gov. Fashola's visit to Adeboye's church included discussions on how to ease the major traffic problem ont he route to Pastor Adeboye's Church. Heck, this should be a relatively simpler problem compared to driving on an empty tank for more than 300km.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by diasporian: 5:28am On Dec 24, 2008
Yet Nigerians are the most wicked people on earth, despite their "church going" rate, they pass thru the churches, but the church fail to pass thru them, oh my God!.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by OBVIOUS(m): 5:55am On Dec 24, 2008
diasporian:

Yet Nigerians are the most wicked people on earth, despite their "church going" rate, they pass through the churches, but the church fail to pass through them, oh my God!.
[/quote

L O L!!! Somewhat true though. Even the DEVIL goes to church in Nigeria.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Nimshi: 4:14pm On Dec 24, 2008
Question: Under what conditions could a man drive for 300km in a car with an empty tank?

Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by mazaje(m): 4:42pm On Dec 24, 2008
bindex:

Why are people believing frauds and liars like Adeboye? He onced lied that he drove for over 300km in a 504 during feul scarcity with about  4 litters of fuel to carry out Gods work. He claimed God powered the car. , Why does God not power the cars of other christains who have no fuel due to lack of money or scarcity?

because lies are sweet to hear.  i remembered when he lied to people on a camping trail that god told him that there is no vacancy in the government house of  the then governor of ogun state hence people should not worry because the governor will win his re-election bid as ordained by his god. people clapped and praised the lord as he delivered does comments because as he said it was his god that told him to tell them, only for the governor to lose his re-election bid to gbenga daniels the present governor. i wonder why his god keeps telling him to lie to people.

Adeboye experienced a miracle recently on a long and dangerous stretch of highway near Lagos, he says. His car was out of gas, and the gas stations were empty. Then God spoke to him, clearly, and said to keep driving. Adeboye drove 200 miles on empty. Could his gas gauge have been broken? No, he insists, God intervened "because of the need … in a crisis." Adeboye knows well what some in the West have forgotten: in today's world, everyone needs a Daddy 

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Nimshi:

Question: Under what conditions could a man drive for 300km in a car with an empty tank?

what do you expect from goons that believe that jonah survied inside a fish for 3 days or that people decended from adam. ohh i forgot differences in languages began during the tower of babel and donkeys can talk.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Nimshi: 4:52pm On Dec 24, 2008
mazaje:
what do you expect from goons that believe that jonah survied inside a fish for 3 days or that people decended from noah. ohh i forgot differences in languages began during the tower of babel and donkeys can talk.

Perhaps it could be argued that people believe the Jonah story because it happened a log while ago and because they've always heard the story; like folklore, they become repeated so often they begin to sound like truth; or people who know little about languages could probably be excused for supposing that all the languages on earth had their roots at a summary suspension of a building project.

But fuel scarcity is a real recurring event, perhaps people might identify with that, and perhaps be able to think a bit clearly.

Who here believes a man could drive a car on an empty tank from Ojota (in Lagos) to Iwo Road (at Ibadan) and back on an empty tank?
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by mazaje(m): 4:54pm On Dec 24, 2008
Nimshi:

Perhaps it could be argued that people believe the Jonah story because it happened a log while ago and because they've always heard the story; like folklore, they become repeated so often they begin to sound like truth; or people who know little about languages could probably be excused for supposing that all the languages on earth had their roots at a summary suspension of a building project.

But fuel scarcity is a real recurring event, perhaps people might identify with that, and perhaps be able to think a bit clearly.

Who here believes a man could drive a car on an empty tank from Ojota (in Lagos) to Iwo Road (at Ibadan) and back on an empty tank?

pastor adeboye worshippers here will tell you they do.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by mazaje(m): 6:15pm On Dec 24, 2008
diasporian:

Yet Nigerians are the most wicked people on earth, despite their "church going" rate, they pass through the churches, but the church fail to pass through them, oh my God!.

Nigerians go to church because they are frustrated with life, they go to church because they are poor, miserable and in dire need of money and other basic necessities of life. most go to seek for help for themselves from poverty, diseases, depression and frustration which is prevalent all as a result of poverty, illiteracy and close mindedness. all these vices i listed are the order of the day back in nigeria. since they have nobody or government to cry to, they go to churches to cry to their god for help and money but instead of receiving money and help from their god they end up giving the little money they have to their gods of men who live like kings while they suffer in silence.its a very vicious circle. what a shame. its only in nigeria that  lairs like pastor adeboye are exulted as supreme beings.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by mazaje(m): 8:52pm On Dec 25, 2008
Where are the pastor adeboye worshipper? i will like those of you that believe that a car can move without fuel for 300kms to come and defend your pastors lies claims. i bet the lie is too much for you guys to handle, figure out a way to make it sound rational or make any sense of it.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Nobody: 9:04pm On Dec 27, 2008
mazaje:

because lies are sweet to hear.  i remembered when he lied to people on a camping trail that god told him that there is no vacancy in the government house of  the then governor of ogun state hence people should not worry because the governor will win his re-election bid as ordained by his god. people clapped and praised the lord as he delivered does comments because as he said it was his god that told him to tell them, only for the governor to lose his re-election bid to gbenga daniels the present governor. i wonder why his god keeps telling him to lie to people.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

what do you expect from goons that believe that jonah survied inside a fish for 3 days or that people decended from adam. ohh i forgot differences in languages began during the tower of babel and donkeys can talk.

Hey watch what you say against a MAN OF GOD dude, if he says god told him to drive on an empty tank, that's enough proof that it happened. By the way DONKEYS CAN TALK. angry Don't believe  me?o to blockbuster and rent SHREK, SHREK 2 AND SHREK THE THIRD, there is a talking donkey on those movies, it sounds like Eddie Murphy
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 27, 2008
Lil' Kim of North Korea also made the list.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by olivetree: 9:21pm On Dec 27, 2008
Well, i dont know why someof us are so vexed with Pastor Adeboye's claims. Do you think the board of Newsweek that included him in the list are fools, or you guys feel he has bribed them?

I want you guys to think of something, if he were a liar or a fake , why would all the people that troop to the camp go there month after month? There are several high ranking members of the society who go to worship there, people like Chairmen of blue chip firms, governors, bank mds, people from all over the world, professors, scientists, lawyers, and the kind of people that you would imagine are "highly knowledgeable" So, i think you should know there is something worthwhile that they are going there to see. Or why would a supposed "made" man go thru so much traffic to listen to a simple man, a former university lecturer from a small town in Osun state.

Since God can change even the most ardent critic, then there is hope for everybody.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by mazaje(m): 9:46pm On Dec 27, 2008
olivetree:

Well, i don't know why someof us are so vexed with Pastor Adeboye's claims. Do you think the board of Newsweek that included him in the list are fools, or you guys feel he has bribed them?

I want you guys to think of something, if he were a liar or a fake , why would all the people that troop to the camp go there month after month? There are several high ranking members of the society who go to worship there, people like Chairmen of blue chip firms, governors, bank mds, people from all over the world, professors, scientists, lawyers, and the kind of people that you would imagine are "highly knowledgeable" So, i think you should know there is something worthwhile that they are going there to see. Or why would a supposed "made" man go through so much traffic to listen to a simple man, a former university lecturer from a small town in Osun state.

Since God can change even the most ardent critic, then there is hope for everybody.

what are you saying? do you know what tradition is? going to church and christain jamboree has become a tradition to most christains in nigeria. the fact that university professors attend pastor adeboye's annual jamboree has nothing to do with the fact that the guy is a liar who lies with a straight face. he is on record to have lied about travelling for over 300km with an empty tank, so what the heck are you saying? "made" men go to his jamboree to make contacts and business connections, just as young boys and girls go there to meet up and fornicate, sick people go to get healed, job seekers go with the hope of getting a job, depressed and frustrated people go there to hear messages of hope, people looking for marriage go there to hook up and on and on. how has the prayers of pastor adeboye and all the hundreds of thousands of people that attend the jamboree help reduce the very high rate of road accidents in nigeria? how has their prayers helped in reducing the very high rate of women that die during child birth in nigeria? how has their prayer helped in reducing the very high cases of armed robbery in nigeria? how has their prayers helped in reducing the level of poverty and lack? how has it helped in improving the poor education standard that we have in nigeria? how has their prayers helped in reducing the high level of diseases such as malaria, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis etc. what about unemployment, how has their prayers provided jobs and financial security to people that don't have it? keep on deluding your self. by the way can you name one or two of the renowned scientist from all over the world that attend his annual jamboree?
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by lucabrasi(m): 10:12pm On Dec 27, 2008
im reading the comments on here and my only conclusion is that we nigerians have a massive problem,lets hope and pray to whatever we believe in to help us out of this rut,anyone reading most of the comments both on here and other threads wouldnt believe the likes of obafemi awolowo,ojukwu,nkrumah e.t.c were in their youths when they started the pan african movements

no matter what we think of these pentecostal pastors,we should be advocating for their influence/powers to be used as a leverage in changing the status quo in nigeria,not using all our energy to either prove or disprove a miracle about full tank or half tank in a car what is the point of that if i may ask?
america and the american government recognised the power of pentecostal pastors like the oral robers,keneth hagins e.t.c and they used it as a leverage,this has had the result of blue collar christian pentecostals being the backbone of the republican movement,they have directly being instrumental in installing severall presidents like reagan,bush 1 and 2,they have captains of industries,pastors commanding great congregation e.t.c hence the reason why america spends so much on israel including other pro christian foreign and domestic policies, please lets grow up a little and face REAL AND PERTINENT ISSUES, NOT RANTING ABOUT WHO HAD A FULL TANK OR HALF TANK OR IF HE MIXED THE PETROL WITH DIESEL AND OTHER IRELEVEANT
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Nimshi: 12:22am On Dec 28, 2008
Very funny, some of these last comments.

olivetree:
Do you think the board of Newsweek that included him in the list are fools, or you guys feel he has bribed them?

The joke is on the pastor, or the believers; except, of course, you detect the sarcasm in Newsweek's suggestion about the faulty gauge.

As for the other fellow, there's a four-letter word for people who insist they've driven a car for 200miles on a empty tank; beyond that word, it could be a strong indication of delusion. And any earthling who doesn't understand the reason for asking the 200mile question needs serious help. Seriosly.

Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by lucabrasi(m): 1:49am On Dec 28, 2008
and you really think you have thought it all out and issues of 200mile gallon is the most important issues raised in the articlelol
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by hubreality(m): 6:43am On Dec 28, 2008
I thank God for pastor Adeboye. Does it matter they critics. Ask yourself; What positive impact have i made in my world and what is your answer? The Lord of Host is his strength. "All things are possible to him that believes" This is beyond the play of self, science and religion.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by mazaje(m): 11:51pm On Dec 28, 2008
hubreality:

I thank God for pastor Adeboye. Does it matter they critics. Ask yourself; What positive impact have i made in my world and what is your answer? The Lord of Host is his strength. "All things are possible to him that believes" This is beyond the play of[b] self, science [/b] and religion.

people like you are the reason why nigeria is thirsty despite it sitting on an ocean of rescources. all things are possible for him that believes in what? how has the belief of nigerians help solved their enormous problems? how has the belief of nigerians helped in reducing the very high rate of road accidents which claims so many lives on the nigerian roads? how has the belief of nigerians helped in reducing the very high rate of armed robbery that is rife in the country?
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by kbone(m): 9:53am On Jan 18, 2009
@mazage and the rest of your crew, i have read all your posts on this issue and my conclusion is that you got some serious issues, i suspect you really have some big issues in your life and i doubt if you are really happy living. I don't attend RCCG, never have and never will, I am not moved one inch by Adeboye and as far as i am concerned his "influentiality" can be debated but, i would not go on ranting about the so called fuel issue like you have.

If you believe at all in the existence of any supreme being at all be it Jesus, Obatala or Ogun sef you will realize that in the world we live in today, any thing is possible.

As crazy as everyone thinks Osama is, i cannot convince myself to single him out for condemnation and why is that? I have not faced the realities he faced and I have not walked in his shoes so I do not know where it hurts.

For the anti-Adeboye's stop being petty and ignorant and address real issues like why so many go to church and so much evil is still perpetrated,
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by redsun(m): 10:38am On Jan 18, 2009
Adeboye is using his mathematical knowledge to manipulate,it's all about adding up.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by redsun(m): 11:13am On Jan 18, 2009
The most scary thing about this 21st century hypnotism is that the criteria for development in nigerian towns and villages is when loads of churches starts springing up and the people are denouncing their positive ways of life of communal harmony,selflessness and accountability for the one that says,reject your family and community and follow me,which is good if they really understand the statement,it means reject evil,fear,selfisness,helplessness and ignorance at all cost for good,gallant,sacrifice,independence and knowledge.
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jul 03, 2012
Jesus is lordddd.. I believe he's the Number 1 at the moment grin
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Ptolomeus(m): 9:58pm On Jul 03, 2012
In South America, none of these people is known.
Fortunately, Pentecostals are not appreciated here.
There have been many allegations of fraud with money, allegations of abuse by women, and drug problems in the churches ...
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Niflheim(m): 12:07am On Jul 05, 2012
@olive tree,who are the owners of newsweek?don't you know that they are drug dealers and satanists?what is so special about being on their list?
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Niflheim(m): 2:38pm On Jul 05, 2012
The list can only excite the ignorant,pope benedict tried to protect pedophile priests,the clinton's were involved in over 50 assassinations of us citizens,obama is a fraudster and a gangster who supports sex with animals,oprah is directly responsible for 3 deaths at a new age sweat lodge,what a shit list!!!
Re: Newsweek Lists Nigerian Pentecostal Among World Influencers by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 09, 2012
Niflheim: The list can only excite the ignorant,pope benedict tried to protect pedophile priests,the clinton's were involved in over 50 assassinations of us citizens,obama is a fraudster and a gangster who supports sex with animals,oprah is directly responsible for 3 deaths at a new age sweat lodge,what a shit list!!!
You are speaking in a tongue that only the stup1d can understand undecided

(1) (Reply)

The ISIS Map Of The World / Our Distorted Value System / SHOCKING VIDEO: Google Home Assistant Refuses To Define Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.