Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,241 members, 7,829,441 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe (2179 Views)

How America And The West Are Likely To Assist Osinbajo To Presidency / How Come People From North And South West Are Not Threatening To Leave Nigeria? / Poverty:Yorubaland and Mid West are Poor And North Most Developed Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by kosovo(m): 8:26am On Dec 24, 2008
Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe Tuesday dismissed US calls for him to quit as "stupid," saying they represented "the last kicks of dying horse" as George W. Bush prepares to leave the White House.

"Only two days ago, the American administration declared that they are no longer accepting the process of an inclusive government. The inclusive government does not include Mr Bush and his administration," Mugabe told supporters at a burial of a party faithful.
  "Let him keep his comments to himself. They are undeserved, irrelevant, quite stupid and foolish," he said.

Mugabe's comments came two days after the US assistant secretary of state for African Affairs, Jendayi Frazer, said the Bush administration had lost confidence in the power-sharing pact between Mugabe and the opposition.

"These are the last kicks of a dying horse. We obviously are not going to pay attention to a sunset administration. Zimbabwe's fate lies in the hands of Zimbabweans."

"Warmongers, African leaders are not foolish" and "Respect Zimbabwe's right to self-determination" were among banners displayed at the burial.

Earlier Tuesday, state-run The Herald quoted Mugabe's spokesman George Charamba as criticising the Bush government's declaration of a loss of confidence in Mugabe as a "diplomatic flute."

The top United States envoy for Africa, Jendayi Frazer, said on Sunday in Pretoria that Zimbabwe's September power-sharing deal could not work with Mugabe as president.

click here for full story!
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by olanajim(m): 9:32am On Dec 24, 2008
The man is becoming a comedian.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by hollandis(f): 9:35am On Dec 24, 2008
olanajim:

The man is becoming a comedian.
Who Bush or Mugabe?
cos i see two comedians, one of them got stoned with a shoe cool
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by chidichris(m): 10:02am On Dec 24, 2008
Who Bush or Mugabe?
because i see two comedians, one of them got stoned with a shoe

Hollandis,
if this coming from a normal person, it means africans are below human beings.
people are dying carelessly in the hands of their own brother and you are talking about shoe thrown at bush. this shows that mugabe is a very good man and that is why no one is throwing a shoe at him.
it is obvious that the only good thing in the situation in zimbabwe will be letting mugabe go.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by hollandis(f): 10:13am On Dec 24, 2008
chidichris:

Hollandis,
if this coming from a normal person, it means africans are below human beings.
people are dying carelessly in the hands of their own brother and you are talking about shoe thrown at bush. this shows that mugabe is a very good man and that is why no one is throwing a shoe at him.
it is obvious that the only good thing in the situation in zimbabwe will be letting mugabe go.

sharaaaaaaap bush did worse things in iraq and afghanistan.Many innocent girls and children are suffering the unleashing of terrorism on them.I hope he addresses a conference in afghanistan ,na bomb them go throw for in face
Mugabe and bush are "partners in crime"
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by landis(m): 10:15am On Dec 24, 2008
The failure of Mugabe is failure of AFRICAN LEADERS.

It is time to provide a safe passage for him to retire but I do understand that it is not Mugabe causing cholera but  SANCTIONS.

Same was used against people of Iraqi in the hope that they will revolt against Saddam. It never worked.

SANCTION should be declared as act against HUMANITY; the leader never suffer but the ordinary people.

And because they are too weak due to sanction they cant revolt against their leader which the WEST wants.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by pcmecom(m): 1:19pm On Dec 24, 2008
The problem with Robert Mugabe is that he is afraid to step down, he has criticised leaders in the western hemisphere and is afraid that once he leaves power "they" will do to him what they did to the likes of Saddam hussein, Charles Taylor and so on. Once he is able to negotiate something favourable for himself I think he would step down.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by chidichris(m): 1:22pm On Dec 24, 2008
I hope he addresses a conference in afghanistan ,na bomb them go throw for in face[quote][/quote]

hollandis,
am sorry i didn't know i was discussing with a less priveledged.
bush went to afghanistan straight from iraq. i though u knew that, am sorry again.

well let us continue blaming our failures on the west no problem. Bishop desmond tutu of south africa has blamed his country for not standing up to mugabe.

well, i hear say na the west tell obj go for third term. i even here say na the west told obj to go sleep with his daughter inlaw.

we have to accept it that we are a failed people and look for ways of making amends.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by deor03(m): 3:14pm On Dec 24, 2008
chidichris:

hollandis,
am sorry i didn't know i was discussing with a less priveledged.
bush went to afghanistan straight from iraq. i though u knew that, am sorry again.

undecided undecidedUS forces were in Afghanistan before Iraq.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Bastage: 3:25pm On Dec 24, 2008
The problem with Robert Mugabe is that he is afraid to step down, he has criticised leaders in the western hemisphere and is afraid that once he leaves power "they" will do to him what they did to the likes of Saddam hussein, Charles Taylor and so on.

Highly doubtful. If he ever had any intention of stepping down, he would have already had discussions on immunity. The probability is that he would be given sanctuary in South Africa anyway and even if someone did try to bring him to justice, with the time-scale that the courts work on, he'd be dead from old-age anyway. It's disingenious to state that he has "criticised leaders in the West" and that is why he has fears stepping down. I would think the fact that he has committed genocide upon his African brothers is of much more concern to any legal process.

Mugabe's doctrine is "Hold onto power at all costs". That's how it was when he dealt with N'komo when he first came to prominence, that's how it has been during his presidency and that's how it will be until he either dies or is forced from power.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Nobody: 3:34pm On Dec 24, 2008
Is there any reason why South Africa and Nigeria can not lead an African force to bleeping blow Mugabe out of there. The man needs to be eliminated. Come on, the country has the highest inflation rate in the world and people are dying from cholera.
This is an opportunity for african leaders to show that we can handle our own.
It will only take ECOMOG like 4hrs to take over the freaking nation.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Afam(m): 3:44pm On Dec 24, 2008
landis:

The failure of Mugabe is failure of AFRICAN LEADERS.

And the monumental and catastrophic failure of Bush is a failure of WESTERN LEADERS abi?

Objectivity and fairness would do us a lot of good here.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Kobojunkie: 4:12pm On Dec 24, 2008
A-town:

Is there any reason why South Africa and Nigeria can not lead an African force to bleeping blow Mugabe out of there. The man needs to be eliminated. Come on, the country has the highest inflation rate in the world and people are dying from cholera.
This is an opportunity for african leaders to show that we can handle our own.
It will only take ECOMOG like 4hrs to take over the freaking nation.

You should read news articles of Mugabe and the AU to understand why South Africa and Nigeria can do practically nothing. The AU seems to have no will to remove the man but are more willing to sit back while people drop like flies from a disease like cholera.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Dec 24, 2008
@Landis, what sanction caused Cholera? Mind you, I have asked this question so many times and all I have received are opinion articles and non answers in the past. Hoping since you mention it here, maybe you will have answers on what these sanctions are.
Seems this is the billion dollar question. What sanctions caused the cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe?
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Kobojunkie: 4:17pm On Dec 24, 2008
[size=13pt]UN Fails to Pass Zimbabwe Economic Sanctions[/size]

Jul 12, 2008

http://theunitednations.suite101.com/article.cfm/security_council_fails_to_pass_economic_sanction

The Security Council met on Friday, July 11 to impose an economic sanction on the nation of Zimbabwe, listing the President and 13 senior Government and security officials for the violent crisis is there, but the resolution failed as permanent residents China and Russia used their veto power to nullify the embargo.

Zimbabwean Ambassador, Boniface Chidyausiku, foresaw the result of this meeting. In Zimbabwe's Herald Ambassador Chidyausiku said on July 3rd that the attempts by the west to use the United Nations to affect illegal regime change in Zimbabwe are doomed to fail.

"We have been lobbying members of the Security Council telling them that Zimbabwe is not a threat to regional or international peace and stability and therefore should not be a Council issue," Ambassador went on to state.

In the article Chidyausiku listed China, Russia, South Africa, Libya, Indonesia and Vietnam as Zimbabwe's confirmed allies in the Security Council, so it was no surprise when 5 of these nations voted against the draft resolution with Indonesia abstaining.

The aim of the draft resolution was to determine, under Chapter VII of the United Nations Charter, that the situation in Zimbabwe posed a threat to international peace and security in the region, and would have demanded that the country's Government immediately cease attacks against and intimidation of opposition members and supporters, while beginning a "substantive and inclusive political dialogue" between the parties with the aim of arriving at a peaceful solution that "reflects the will of the Zimbabwean people and respects the results of the 29 March elections."

The representative of the Russian Federation said there had lately been some attempts to take the Council beyond its Charter prerogatives of maintaining international peace and security. Such illegitimate and dangerous attempts could "unbalance" the whole United Nations system. He also said such actions by the body is excessive.

The representative of the United States sat in disappointment as the draft resolution failed to go into effect. " China and Russia stand with Mugabe against the people of Zimbabwe. A majority of the Council stands with the people of Zimbabwe," said Ambassador Khalizad.

Khalizad recalled that the Russian Federation had only recently supported the Group of Eight (G-cool statement recommending the appointment of a special envoy of the Secretary-General and further steps, including financial measures, he said the Russian U-turn was particularly disturbing. "The Russian performance has raised questions about its reliability as a G-8 partner."

Those who opposed the resolution said that there continuing dialogue between the two parties are would lead to the improvement of the humanitarian and economic situation, and would thereby contribute to better living for Zimbabweans.

If the sanction had passed it would have imposed an arms embargo on the country, as well as a travel ban and financial freeze.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Kobojunkie: 4:19pm On Dec 24, 2008
Zimbabwe economic sanctions a 'death sentence'
Mar 20, 2007

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/03/20/1877243.htm

Coalition Senator Alan Ferguson says the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister must do more to condemn the violence, and that sanctions could be the best way to get the message across.

"I think that things have probably almost got as bad as they can for the ordinary population of Zimbabwean people anyway and the increase of sanctions might make it much more difficult for Mugabe's Government to survive," he said.

But Mr Downer maintains imposing trade or economic sanctions is not the answer.

"We will continue to do what we can, given the limited capacity we have to do it, to place pressure on Zimbabwe," he said.

"We can't impose economic sanctions on the country - it's bankrupt already.

"If we impose complete economic sanctions on Zimbabwe as an international community, that would be a death sentence for millions of Zimbabweans, ordinary people, we can't do that.

"But we do need to keep the diplomatic pressure going and the Australian Government, you can rest assured, will do that."

Australia has taken the line that it is African countries who must do more to punish Robert Mugabe.

Mr Downer met with South Africa's High Commissioner this morning, who told him the group of countries known as the South African Development Community (SADC) is starting to get the message about Zimbabwe.

"I think SADC is at least persuaded that the situation is very dire," he said.

"And I know from various contacts we've had with those countries that there is a growing move in SADC and the African Union to do more to address the problem of Zimbabwe."

Australia introduced a raft of sanctions against Zimbabwe in 2002, when Mr Mugabe took power after an election widely believed to be rigged.

Those included banning ministerial contact between the two nations and a travel ban on Zimbabwean Government officials.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Kobojunkie: 4:20pm On Dec 24, 2008
IMF reaffirms economic sanctions against Zimbabwe
http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSWAT007027

International Monetary Fund said on Friday it would maintain its suspension of financial and technical aid to Zimbabwe for failing to clear its arrears and remedy the Southern African country's deteriorating economic and social conditions.

"The board expressed deep concern over the deteriorating economic and social conditions and regretted that the authorities have not undertaken the policies recommended by the IMF," the fund said in a statement.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Nobody: 4:38pm On Dec 24, 2008
I am tired sick of all this sanctions palaver. There is only one solution. Take him out.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by oderemo(m): 4:43pm On Dec 24, 2008
Mugabe is simply the ranting of an old fool. i wonder how long it will take hon.NELSON MANDELLA to come out openly to condemn this evil of a man
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by kosovo(m): 9:04pm On Dec 24, 2008
for the first time in my entire adult life i wept for Africa.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Nobody: 9:31pm On Dec 24, 2008
Quote from hollandis
sharaaaaaaap bush did worse things in iraq and afghanistan.Many innocent girls and children are suffering the unleashing of terrorism on them.I hope he addresses a conference in afghanistan ,na bomb them go throw for in face
Mugabe and bush are "partners in crime"

Stick to what you know. Afghanistan war was justified, the Iraq war was ill advised but that reporter wouldn't have dared thrown a shoe during the saddam years, but now he can, that's the meanin of FREEDOM. Now the country is still messed up with the crazy fanatics' struggling for power but don't blame that on bush. I'm not a bush apologist, i probably hate him more than you do but Iraq is not all his fault. Blame Iran and all these other crazy arab fanatics. They prey on the poor, it cost $50 to plant a roadside bomb!!!!!!!!

Anyway this is about mugabe, he keeps crying he's African,"westerners can't tell us what to do". He's not African, he's nothing but a old demented ANIMAL who needs to be shot.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by texazzpete(m): 10:10pm On Dec 24, 2008
Did someone say Sanctions caused the Cholera in Zimbabwe? Not dirty water and poor sewage?

How did sanctions aimed at Zimbabwe's ruling elite cause massive inflation, poor harvests and now Cholera?

Weird!
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by bawomolo(m): 12:07am On Dec 25, 2008
according to mugabe, the cholera outbreak was due to biological warfare from the west. leave mugabe alone grin
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by udezue(m): 12:16am On Dec 25, 2008
he needs to get thrown out by all means possible.mad man
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by kosovo(m): 2:08am On Dec 25, 2008
@ udezue
he needs to get thrown out by all means possible.mad man
who is gona throw him out, bush? yar adua? SADC? or AU? or
mugabe will remain their president till he dies.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Jakumo(m): 2:27am On Dec 25, 2008
Mugabe's demise. when it comes, will be reminiscent of Mobutu of Congo's ignominious exile, death and hurried burial in a convenient cemetery, with the exception that the jubilation over Mugabe's end will be louder than that of Mobutu.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Muza(m): 2:58am On Dec 25, 2008
kosovo:

@ udezuewho is gona throw him out, bush? yar adua? SADC? or AU? or
mugabe will remain their president till he dies.

gaskiya,thats wat i think too grin
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Horus(m): 3:12am On Dec 25, 2008
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by princekevo(m): 7:15pm On Dec 25, 2008
Kobojunkie:

@Landis, what sanction caused Cholera? Mind you, I have asked this question so many times and all I have received are opinion articles and non answers in the past. Hoping since you mention it here, maybe you will have answers on what these sanctions are.
Seems this is the billion dollar question. What sanctions caused the cholera outbreak in Zimbabwe?

WASHINGTON, Feb 23 (Reuters) - The International Monetary Fund said on Friday it would maintain its suspension of financial and technical aid to Zimbabwe for failing to clear its arrears and remedy the Southern African country's deteriorating economic and social conditions.

"The board expressed deep concern over the deteriorating economic and social conditions and regretted that the authorities have not undertaken the policies recommended by the IMF," the fund said in a statement.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Canada+Levies+Targeted+Economic+Sanctions+Against+Zimbabwe.-a0185300610
Originally published in Blakes Bulletin on International Trade, September 2008

The Canadian government has added a series of targeted economic sanctionsEconomic sanctions are economic penalties applied by one country (or group of countries) on another for a variety of reasons. Economic sanctions include, but are not limited to, tariffs, trade barriers, import duties, and import or export quotas.
, Click the link for more information. against Zimbabwe to the restrictions imposed just two months ago.

In our July 2008 Blakes Bulletin on International Trade, we reported that the Canadian government announced the following restrictions:

no aircraft registered in Zimbabwe is allowed to land in or fly over Canada;

travel, work, and study restrictions are to be placed upon senior Zimbabwean officials, including government, military, and police officials, and their families;

the ambassador to Zimbabwe was summoned to convey messages to her home government; and

the prohibition against exporting military goods to Zimbabwe was re-confirmed.

I think it's u who fail to understand that Zimbabwe is under sanction.I still maintain the fact that be it smart or comprehesive sanction zimbabwe dosnt deserve it in the first place.Zimbabwe pose no threat to world. Why would IMF and world bank suspend Zimbabwe Knowing that their economy failed as result of the Structural Adjustment programme they proposed to the government of Zimbabwe to rescue the economy which crippled Zimbabwe economy till date?Must Zimbabweans die becoz of one man who refused to give up power?
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by Kobojunkie: 7:35pm On Dec 25, 2008
I believe you are the one who fails to understand what is in front of you.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/exrp/what.htm#do

International Monetary Fund said on Friday it would maintain its suspension of financial and technical aid to Zimbabwe [size=13pt]for failing to clear its arrears and remedy the Southern African country's deteriorating economic and social conditions.[/size]

IMF has sanctions Fund sanctions on Zimbabwe for failing to pay back loans. Read the article. IMF is not a free for all bank. You take loans, you make payments or you get denied future loans. Your second article there points to economic sanctions from Canada and not the UN.

[size=13pt]What does the International Monetary Fund do?[/size]

The IMF is the world's central organization for international monetary cooperation. It is an organization in which almost all countries in the world work together to promote the common good.

The IMF's primary purpose is to ensure the stability of the international monetary system—the system of exchange rates and international payments that enables countries (and their citizens) to buy goods and services from each other. This is essential for sustainable economic growth and rising living standards.

To maintain stability and prevent crises in the international monetary system, the IMF reviews national, regional, and global economic and financial developments. It provides advice to its 184 member countries, encouraging them to adopt policies that foster economic stability, reduce their vulnerability to economic and financial crises, and raise living standards, and serves as a forum where they can discuss the national, regional, and global consequences of their policies.

The IMF also makes financing temporarily available to member countries to help them address balance of payments problems—that is, when they find themselves short of foreign exchange because their payments to other countries exceed their foreign exchange earnings.

And it provides technical assistance and training to help countries build the expertise and institutions they need for economic stability and growth.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by princekevo(m): 6:36am On Dec 26, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I believe you are the one who fails to understand what is in front of you.

http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/exrp/what.htm#do

International Monetary Fund said on Friday it would maintain its suspension of financial and technical aid to Zimbabwe [size=13pt]for failing to clear its arrears and remedy the Southern African country's deteriorating economic and social conditions.[/size]

IMF has sanctions Fund sanctions on Zimbabwe for failing to pay back loans. Read the article. IMF is not a free for all bank. You take loans, you make payments or you get denied future loans. Your second article there points to economic sanctions from Canada and not the UN.

[size=13pt]What does the International Monetary Fund do?[/size]

The IMF is the world's central organization for international monetary cooperation. It is an organization in which almost all countries in the world work together to promote the common good.

The IMF's primary purpose is to ensure the stability of the international monetary system—the system of exchange rates and international payments that enables countries (and their citizens) to buy goods and services from each other. This is essential for sustainable economic growth and rising living standards.

To maintain stability and prevent crises in the international monetary system, the IMF reviews national, regional, and global economic and financial developments. It provides advice to its 184 member countries, encouraging them to adopt policies that foster economic stability, reduce their vulnerability to economic and financial crises, and raise living standards, and serves as a forum where they can discuss the national, regional, and global consequences of their policies.

The IMF also makes financing temporarily available to member countries to help them address balance of payments problems—that is, when they find themselves short of foreign exchange because their payments to other countries exceed their foreign exchange earnings.

And it provides technical assistance and training to help countries build the expertise and institutions they need for economic stability and growth.

That was supposed to be one of ther primary Aims and Objective of IMF. IMF with the reason that zimbabwe could not pay their loans as such was sanctioned. IMF adopted a structural adjustment policies to stablise Zimbabwe economy which attracted the loans by zimbabwe and at the end the policy failed. If not for the influence of the US and Britain tell me from own decision making is, it for IMF to sanction Zimbabwe?or propose a better policy that would help them pay up their loan. How much has Zimbabwe payed back being under this sanction.Or is Zimbabwe the only country owing IMF? Wht happened to HIPIC Iniatiatives that was approved in October 1996 to help high indebted poor countries pay up their debt. If contries like Ghana,cameroon,Zambia and the rest could enjoy such benefits why cant such initiatives be introduced to Zimbabwe to help them pay of their loans.Man Lets be realistic.

Your second article there points to economic sanctions from Canada and not the UN.

Go and read other sanctions from US,Australia and EU communities.They are no difference from the one canada jst approved. You said is canada and not UN forgeting that if everyone thinks the way you,US,britain and the rest thinks by now Zimbabwe would have been sanctioned from UN.
Lets face the fact Am not in any way supporting the poor leadership of Zimbabwe neither any other african country, but am of the opinion that there are other ways to make things better for the people of Zimbabwe instead of all these sanction here and there. Who suffers the sanction, Mugabe or any of his member governament? The answer is No!! but the poor masses like i and you.
Re: US And West Are Stupid - Mugabe by RichyBlacK(m): 6:47am On Dec 26, 2008
[size=18pt]Please move to Foreign Affairs section![/size]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are There No Strong People In Kwara State? / Judge Orders Onovo To Produce Suspects Today ! / Buhari's Other Side - Obasanjo, Babangida, Buhari And Misrepresentation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.