Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! (815 Views)

Amaechi To Partner World Bank On Comprehensive Land Transportation Policy.Photos / I Didn’t Share Jonathan’s Rice As Xmas Gift —Edo PDP Gov Aspirant / Lagos To Introduce Cable Cars For Mass Transportation. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by blokoncept(m): 10:51am On Dec 24, 2008
The lagos state Governor,Mr Raji Fashola have declared that there will be "FREE BRT & LAGBUS transporation for lagosian b/w 25th dec 2008 and 1st january 2009.
wooh, this is a great way to appreciate lagosian.

N/LANDER,beware when next you entering any of this buses,dont bother to pay any dime,
Abey make una trowey salute our GOV.courtesty:LTV

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY NEW YEAR AHEAD!
www.focusmindset(dot)(dot)com
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by RibaduFan(m): 10:52am On Dec 24, 2008
Fashola walks on Water.
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by jaybee3(m): 10:58am On Dec 24, 2008
The guy is just a God sent.
His actions certainly speaks louder than 'em empty barrel voices.

He needs to modernise murtala int airport though (I am not sure if it's federal or state owned) cos that's certainly the first impression outsiders get when they fly in.

Big kudos to the man
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by Olaolufred(m): 11:04am On Dec 24, 2008
Another proof that PDP has nothing to offer Nigeria.

If they are sure that they have the support of Nigerians,

Let them give room for a free and fair election.

If this happens, PDP will be shown the way like US republican.

Thanks FASHOLA. Kudos to AC.
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by deor03(m): 11:06am On Dec 24, 2008
I saw this scrolling on LTV yesterday, I thought i was sleeping/dreaming, whao
So it's true.

Meanwhile, please pay your tax
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by blokoncept(m): 11:18am On Dec 24, 2008
deor03:

I saw this scrolling on LTV yesterday, I thought i was sleeping/dreaming, whao
So it's true.

Meanwhile, please pay your tax
tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by kwenu: 12:28pm On Dec 24, 2008
With the population of Lagos, How many people can BRT and LAG busses take,? he should also let the danfo drivers transport pasengers for free.
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by ifyalways(f): 1:17pm On Dec 24, 2008
kwenu:

With the population of Lagos, How many people can BRT and LAG busses take,? he should also let the danfo drivers transport pasengers for free.
In your dreams !
@Topic,the Fashola man is really trying.
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by romeo(m): 2:17pm On Dec 24, 2008
Is the man Fame crazy? 5 days of less revenue for Lagos state all for him to show off. sad sad sad
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by deor03(m): 3:06pm On Dec 24, 2008
romeo:

Is the man Fame crazy? 5 days of less revenue for Lagos state all for him to show off. sad sad sad

Well I think, if they have met their projected profit margin for the year, this act of goodwill is NOT too much for Lagosians.

Besides, how many people will be on the road this festive season?
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by bracelet: 3:21pm On Dec 24, 2008
@romeo

Nigerians are so used to suffering that any act of thoughtfulness is misunderstood.

Warped mentality.
Revenue my foot angry
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by ilaugh1: 3:24pm On Dec 24, 2008
some Nigerians deserve nothing but stone as breakfast, lunch and dinner - in summary, they deserve nothing good in life, because if you give them anything good, they will curse you in return, so why bother?
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 24, 2008
jay bee:

He needs to modernise murtala int airport though (I am not sure if it's federal or state owned) because that's certainly the first impression outsiders get when they fly in.

It's federal. Even the domestic terminal is controlled by FAAN (federeal air . . . . . .)
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by romeo(m): 3:56pm On Dec 24, 2008
i_laugh:

some Nigerians deserve nothing but stone as breakfast, lunch and dinner - in summary, they deserve nothing good in life, because if you give them anything good, they will curse you in return, so why bother?

Lagos state needs money!! Way too many of it. And 5 days without collecting returns from BRT is not good bizness. Why not 25th and 1st? at least for a stipulated number of hours. Damn it.

deor03:

, Well I think, if they have met their projected profit margin for the year, this act of goodwill is NOT too much for Lagosians.

Besides, how many people will be on the road this festive season?

What  about "profit above predictions". Shouldn't that be a good thing? or must we waste money that should've been spent on other things to buy fame. BRT fares are cheap and the impact will not be felt by the commuters but in the other hand Lagos revenue will incure a huge loss.

bracelet:

@romeo

Nigerians are so used to suffering that any act of thoughtfulness is misunderstood.

Warped mentality.
Revenue my foot angry

Can you elaborate more?
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Dec 24, 2008
romeo:

Lagos state needs money!! Way too many of it. And 5 days without collecting returns from BRT is not good bizness. Why not 25th and 1st? at least for a stipulated number of hours. Damn it.

What about "profit above predictions". Shouldn't that be a good thing? or must we waste money that should've been spent on other things to buy fame. BRT fares are cheap and the impact will not be felt by the commuters but in the other hand Lagos revenue will incure a huge loss.

Can you elaborate more?

Where are the economists when you need them.
This does not necessarily indicate that the state will loose money.
The fact that some people will get out just because the BRT is free will result in revenue for the state. Extra business activities will be fostered by people moving around.
Do you also know that some people have never been on the BRT? Some might try it during the free period and end up liking it. Guess what, added revenue for 2009.
Even if it doesn't bring in extra income for the state govt, it is still not a loss.
Nigerians (lagosians in this case) don't really get any social benefits/tax returns, this can be considered as a social service to the citizens as well.

I see nothing wrong with this in any manner or shape.
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by eleven(m): 4:20pm On Dec 24, 2008
romeo:

Governor Raji Fashola is a smart business man. This decision is smart modern day business sense. In business at times you loose some to gain more.

The idea also sells as a positive advert for BRT, it will improve relationship between Lagosians and BRT. No doubt the revenue BRT will generate next year will definately be better that this year's because of this kind of gesture.
Re: Fashola Xmas Gift:free Transportation Round Lagos! by SkyBlue1: 4:23pm On Dec 24, 2008
romeo:

What  about "profit above predictions". Shouldn't that be a good thing? or must we waste money that should've been spent on other things to buy fame. BRT fares are cheap and the impact will not be felt by the commuters but in the other hand Lagos revenue will incure a huge loss.

Can you elaborate more?

Mind if I jump in for a sec?  smiley
Your claims might have more weight if you could actually give something resembling figures or even estimates of how much lagos government gets in revenue from BRT schemes, etc. @A Town, if the service is free for customers then it means it is being run at some loss not at "no loss" as you stated, because fuel has to be paid for and staff have to be paid, so it won't be free for the stae; however your other arguements about it being a possible boost for the economic activity of the state and also encouraging people to try it, etc actually does hold water.

My approach is completely different though. In an ever increasingly capitalist environment and especially in a country whereby people are used to knowing that government does not care about their opinions or about them, i am finding it difficult to see how providing people free transport can possibly be a bad thing especially when you consider it is Nigeria. How much of an impact will the week of free BRT make on the Lagos state treasury? If anything i think it is good advert for public transport run by lagos state government and if the services hold up and it can get more people using the services which are already well patronised then good. @romeo, you are soo quick to assume that this is being done for "fame" as you put it and i really don't know why? Thats a lot of sceptisism which i would normally understand coming from Nigerians but when you even argue the points out i don't know where the whole "fame" thing becomes the over riding issue you make it out to be. So let us assume this is for "fame"? A governor is going out of his way to gain "fame" with his people, in Nigeria and hence aknowledging that they are "wooable" because they have opinions which can be affected, and that is a bad thing? LOOOOL. At least the people are seeing as having opinions and feelings and seeing as human beings who can be wooed as opposed to the way they are normally treated in Nigeria by the government (i.e. like animals). Please let the wooing continue, i urge the government to continue to woo the people by continueing with the infrastrucural upgrade, job creation, tackling of the energy situation, etc. If anyone is soo irritated at being wooed they can protest by not jusing free bus service and telling everyone they know to follow suit  cheesy

(1) (Reply)

How We Can Check Crimes In Nigeria. / The Politicians Children / 3 Die As Moslem, Police Clash In Zaria Vangaurd 19 Sept. 2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.