Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,032 members, 7,818,047 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:57 AM

Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) (4080 Views)

BREAKING NEWS: Ogboru Of Labour Party Has Committed Political Suicide... / Buhari Declares Total Support For Palestinian State / Pictures: South East Youths Declare Total Support For President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by babaireti(m): 12:05pm On Jan 26, 2015
IGBO'S TOTAL SUPPORT FOR PDP IS POLITICAL SUICIDE (MY OPINION)

Since independence, the Igbos, being the third biggest ethnic group in Nigeria, have maintained its political relevance by playing the role of a tie-breaker between the two biggest ethnic groups (the Hausa/Fulanis and the Yorubas). This was the case during the 60s before the civil war. This was the case during the Shagari administration.

By playing that role, the Igbo's have a real stake in Nigerian politics and a real chance of producing a President for Nigeria.

Under that arrangement, the Yorubas formed the opposition whenever the Hausas formed the government. Being the second biggest ethnic group, the opposition party formed by the Yorubas is usually strong and viable opposition. And that is really good for Nigeria. There is always the constant belief that if the Igbos were to move and ally with the Yorubas, that would enable the Yoruba-led coalition to form the government and the Northern-led block to form the opposition. It is in the interest of the country to always have a viable opposition.

However, that arrangement changed in 1999 when a Yoruba (Obasanjo) aliened with an Hausa/Fulani (Atiku) to form a government. Though the Yorubas still formed the opposition during the Obasanjo regime, it was a much weaker opposition because the Yorubas were divided. Under Obasanjo, the Igbos were with the ruling party, but the pattern of coalition was not the same. The Igbos were weaker than during Sharari administration.

As the Yoruba/Hausa coalition strengthens in the present dispensation, the role of the Igbos is about to get a bit more complex, with the possibility that the Igbos may lose out completely if they don't play politics right.

The real danger ahead is that the Igbo's would support Jonathan, and PDP loses the election. It would mean that the Buhari Government would be formed by a coalition of the two most powerful ethnic groups. That would cause the Igbos to lose their significance as the tie-breaker, as there will be no tie to break. This could lead to the suppression of the Igbos as they would have been further away from government.

The Igbos should really be thinking hard now. Can they afford to lose completely? If they lose every relevance in the Nigerian politics, that could hurt them badly. The smaller ethnic groups could further alien with the ruling party (as the urobos, for instance, are aligning with Buhari right now), leading to further marginalization and isolation of the Igbos. And the Igbos alone cannot form a viable opposition party against a coalition of the Hausa and the Yoruba leaders.

I know I could have sharpened my argument here. But for lack of time, i would present it even if a bit crudely. The Igbo's must therefore avoid a herd reaction. They must split themselves in two - one part for PDP, the other part for APC. This gives the hope that the Igbos would be considered as having something to do with the rise of the new government. Otherwise, the Igbos are about to be dispensed with and rendered outcasts from power at the centre.

There is no way the Igbo votes alone would guarantee a victory for Jonathan over a strong coalition of the North and the West. It is time to think strategically and with foresight. It would have been ideal to analyse Nigerian politics without consideration of race. But it is not yet effective to do so. We are inclined, therefore, not to rule out ethnic consideration.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by SeverusSnape(m): 12:29pm On Jan 26, 2015
There is no way the Igbo votes alone would guarantee a victory for Jonathan

Do you think it's only Igbos that will vote Jonathan

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:34pm On Jan 26, 2015
babaireti:

I know I could have sharpened my argument here. But for lack of time, i would present it even if a bit crudely. The Igbo's must therefore avoid a herd reaction. They must split themselves in two - one part for PDP, the other part for APC. This gives the hope that the Igbos would be considered as having something to do with the rise of the new government. Otherwise, the Igbos are about to be dispensed with and rendered outcasts from power at the centre.

You see what we have been talking about all along. Some people are just snakes. You are advising us to split ourselves like the yorubas and just start betraying our words left right and centre like those people. Igbos are not backstabbers. Jonathan knows that whatever happens he has solidity of Igbos behind him. And such faith don't come along by dividing your loyalty.

15 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by ABIOLAXYZ(m): 12:42pm On Jan 26, 2015
we are Nigerians,not hausa,igbo and yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by clevvermind(m): 12:42pm On Jan 26, 2015
Jonathan till 2019.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by babaireti(m): 1:49pm On Jan 26, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

You see what we have been talking about all along. Some people are just snakes. You are advising us to split ourselves like the yorubas and just start betraying our words left right and centre like those people. Igbos are not backstabbers. Jonathan knows that whatever happens he has solidity of Igbos behind him. And such faith don't come along by dividing your loyalty.
This is just an advice for your region so as to play safe,rather than put all your heads in just one basket

2 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Olufonade: 1:56pm On Jan 26, 2015
Amaechi and Okorocha would later be respected for pitching their tent with opposition. Mark my words.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 26, 2015
Olufonade:
Amaechi and Okorocha would later be respected for pitching their tent with opposition. Mark my words.
This comment is very realistic.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by chimerase2: 2:00pm On Jan 26, 2015
I tink dis op is stewpid #myOpinion

5 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by egift(m): 2:06pm On Jan 26, 2015
Ndigbo should keep their options open and work with whoever becomes the next President. If we put all out eggs in one basket and behave like Jonathan is in for Aligbo turn, tomorrow it will be difficult to get majority of other Nigerians to vote for an Igbo Candidate for Presidency.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Change2015(m): 2:20pm On Jan 26, 2015
OP, there is one more aspect you have not considered that the Igbos might think about. The Pdp and Anpp both had strong Northern representation, even if the pdp was preferred. The East lacks a political voice beyond 'following' someone else's platform. APGA is thoroughly discredited, and could not even see Ikemba elected as a Senator,has only one state, and thus cannot be said to be the political voice of the East. To an outsider, it seems that there is more political cohesion in other regions, which makes the alliance of the West and North seem more logical and potentially more fruitful.
Of course be prepared for tribal and other petty insults here. It's a shame such topics cannot be discussed with some decorum, and logic.

#change

3 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by fresh15: 2:39pm On Jan 26, 2015
Igbo's support for Jonathan is a right step in the right direction.They trust him because they know that he will deliver.Buhari is not his match at allm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by babaireti(m): 2:57pm On Jan 26, 2015
chimerase2:
I tink dis op is stewpid #myOpinion
Haa u dey VEX ,sorry o! truly: truth is bitter they says,but point of correction! I'm not St.....pd ,but more intelligent .

2 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Tegatons: 3:05pm On Jan 26, 2015
Silly write up, the URHOBOS are not working for GMB. We are keeping GEJ in office till

4 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Tegatons: 3:06pm On Jan 26, 2015
Silly write up, the URHOBOS are not working for GMB. We are keeping GEJ in office till
Go look bush anti Gej

4 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by MayorofLagos(m): 3:10pm On Jan 26, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

Thats not what Ohaneze says.
After spending two years campaigning that all Igbo sons must stand down and not compete for Presidency, at the 11th hour, just three weeks to election, Ohaneze says it is confused and hasnt yet decided who to endorse.

Loyalty my @$$!

4 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by jmoore(m): 3:17pm On Jan 26, 2015
Folks that know nothing about democracy always writing nonsense.

No tribe is in total support of a particular candidate!!!

3 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by MayorofLagos(m): 3:18pm On Jan 26, 2015
egift:
Ndigbo should keep their options open and work with whoever becomes the next President. If we put all out eggs in one basket and behave like Jonathan is in for Aligbo turn, tomorrow it will be difficult to get majority of other Nigerians to vote for an Igbo Candidate for Presidency.

Its too late to be a front player in APC. Even if you all turn out to vote Buhari, which is impossible, Tinubu alread positioned Yoruba for succession, Amaechi is there, loud and in front, Kwankwaso is there, Oshiomhole is there, Okorocha should be in front also but you Ibos kill his opportunity by putting labels on him and calling him names.

There are Hausas and Yorubas in APGA, we dont label them wrongly because they are not in a Yoruba party. You Ibos are politically fvckd up......in APGA, in PDP, in APC. You are truly a minority now!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Bigflamie(m): 3:43pm On Jan 26, 2015
babaireti:

This is just an advice for your region so as to play safe,rather than put all your heads in just one basket
And how did you come into conclusion that all Igbos are voting for GEJ?
You guys should stop these ya silly generalization.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:46pm On Jan 26, 2015
MayorofLagos:

After spending two years campaigning that all Igbo sons must stand down and not compete for Presidency, at the 11th hour, just three weeks to election, Ohaneze says it is confused and hasnt yet decided who to endorse.

Loyalty my @$$!

But we don't betray.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Francis5: 3:50pm On Jan 26, 2015
Since independence, the Igbos,[b] being the third biggest ethnic [/b]group in Nigeria have maintained its political relevance by playing the role of a tie-breaker between the two biggest ethnic groups (the Hausa/Fulanis and the Yorubas).

Can you back this population claim up? Do we have any census based on ethnicity? And why do you lump Hausa/Fulani together? Are they one ethnic group?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by wirinet(m): 3:51pm On Jan 26, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Loyalty my @$$!

Thank you for your very candid and brilliant observation. It is wrong for a tribe - especially a major tribe to put all its eggs in one Basket. Even when the Yorubas were in opposition, they always made sure a significant number was with the ruling government.

The Igbos are lucky to have Amaechi and Okorocha. If APC wins, Amaechi would obviously play a prominent role in the APC administration. After Buhari and Fashola, the next most influential member of APC is Amaechi. Ngige is another prominent Igbo son in APC who cannot be overlooked. But then these Igbos are seen as traitors by the generality of Igbos.

Igbos should learn that there are no permanent enermies and friends in Politics - only permanent interests.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:53pm On Jan 26, 2015
wirinet:

Thank you for your very candid and brilliant observation. It is wrong for a tribe - especially a major tribe to put all its eggs in one Basket. Even when the Yorubas were in opposition, they always made sure a significant number was with the ruling government.

The Igbos are lucky to have Amaechi and Okorocha. If APC wins, Amaechi would obviously play a prominent role in the APC administration. After Buhari and Fashola, the next most influential member of APC is Amaechi. Ngige is another prominent Igbo son in APC who cannot be overlooked. But then these Igbos are seen as traitors by the generality of Igbos.

Igbos should learn that there are no permanent enermies and friends in Politics - only permanent interests.

The bolded is the favourite saying of backstabbers. Igbos are faithful and trustworthy.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Francis5: 3:54pm On Jan 26, 2015
MayorofLagos:

Its too late to be a front player in APC. Even if you all turn out to vote Buhari, which is impossible, Tinubu alread positioned Yoruba for succession, Amaechi is there, loud and in front, Kwankwaso is there, Oshiomhole is there, Okorocha should be in front also but you Ibos kill his opportunity by putting labels on him and calling him names.

There are Hausas and Yorubas in APGA, we dont label them wrongly because they are not in a Yoruba party. You Ibos are politically fvckd up......in APGA, in PDP, in APC. You are truly a minority now!

There is no space for anyone else but Jonathan until 2019. In 2019, I, an Igbo man, would support a northerner in APC or PDP (depending on the personality, not the party- as long as it is not Buhari and Tinubu) to be president. After his/her 8 years, power would then shift back south, and it belongs to the Igbos at that time. Yoruba (Obasanjo) and South South (GEJ) have taken their turns.

As for Tinubu, his influence ends in Yorubaland and within the period indicated he would be long dead and forgotten. Then, Buhari would be shagging his 72 virgins in hell too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Francis5: 3:57pm On Jan 26, 2015
wirinet:

These lies you all are peddling eh!. How are all Igbo eggs in one basket? So those Igbos in APC are no longer Igbos? These Yorubas, una hypocrisy too much, I beg. How about now that all Yorubas are in APC? Is that 50 eggs in 50 baskets?

6 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by confidenceikeh: 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2015
Ur analysis here I must say is nt true GEJ will not only get. Support from igbos.
SeverusSnape:
[b][/b]
Do you think it's only Igbos that will vote Jonathan
Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by dokyOloye: 3:58pm On Jan 26, 2015
egift:
We Igbos don't need d office of d president or govt patronage to soar.If it were so,we wld've gone into extinction since after d civil war.The truth of matter is that Igbos r republican in nature and we always stand by d truth.
Compared to all other past presidents,Jonathan has really tried,that is d basis for our support for him.

6 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by Nobody: 4:01pm On Jan 26, 2015
Francis5:

Can you back this population claim up? Do we have any census based on ethnicity? And why do you lump Hausa/Fulani together? Are they one ethnic group?

It's quite easy to know without counting people from one village to another; take a good look at Nigeria map and see where you are
Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by jaysniggs: 4:14pm On Jan 26, 2015
I wonder what concern of yours is it with Igbo politics.
If they say they want to vote Jonathan and pdp, let them. You're in no position to impose your will or idea on others.
If they want to put their eggs in a basket, you should be sure there is a certain assurance behind the eggs not braking. But if the eggs brake, it would be a sorry case.
Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by wirinet(m): 4:21pm On Jan 26, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

The bolded is the favourite saying of backstabbers. Igbos are faithful and trustworthy.

That is why people like you are called political neophytes. In Politics and Diplomacy, there are no permanent friends and enermies. Ask the Germans and the French, ask the British and the French, recently ask the Americans and the Cubans.

Faithfulness and trustworthiness only goes as far as interest is concerned.
Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:27pm On Jan 26, 2015
wirinet:

That is why people like you are called political neophytes. In Politics and Diplomacy, there are no permanent friends and enermies. Ask the Germans and the French, ask the British and the French, recently ask the Americans and the Cubans.

Faithfulness and trustworthiness only goes as far as interest is concerned.

I am neither french nor british. I am Igbo. We no dey follow follow.

8 Likes

Re: Igbo's Total Support For Pdp Is Political Suicide (my Opinion) by MayorofLagos(m): 4:35pm On Jan 26, 2015
AlfaSeltzer:

But we don't betray.

It is apparent you do not know the meaning of "betrayal".

Let me know if I need to go in archive and retrieve Ibo betrayals. Ojukwu is the grand patron of betrayal.

Go and get definiton of betrayal and reflect on my response.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tinubu Is Misunderstood: (true Confession) Am Beginning To Like The Man / Why We Will Break Nigeria Into Two – Afenifere Leader, Okurounmu / Reuben Abati Reveals What Happened In The Villa Immediately GEJ Made The "Call"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.