Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,055 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:09 AM

How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse (53586 Views)

Standard Greenhouse, Nethouse and Solar Dryer Construction / Lagos Government To Set Up Rice Plant In Kebbi / Low Cost Greenhouse From N200,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by gepito: 7:15pm On Jun 14, 2016
Has this thread gone cold?

Until it started to develop a confrontational feel towards the end I was rather enjoying this.

I am no farmer but I have been considering tomato cultivation for a while and researching whenever oportunities allow. I am aware of tomatoes susceptibility to fungal infections and that control can be pretty tricky especially in greenhouse conditions.

How have you faired with the recent problems which appear to be affecting many Nigerian farmers? We're your greenhouses affected?
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Afrika011: 2:04pm On Aug 03, 2016
For questions bothering your mind on Greenhouse Production or u need Advisory services.

Danafrik Agribusiness consulting is the answer to most of your questions.

Danafrik is confident of giving you the best answers that fits your questions and is proud of about 3 years growing experience under greenhouse in Nigeria
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by oroke22: 1:22pm On Aug 19, 2016
innovationafrik:
I can set up a cheap Greenhouse/Nethouse for people. The standard size for my Greenhouse/Nethouse is 8metres by 24 metres, the package will include:

Drip irrigation kits
Knapsack sprayer
Hybrid seeds (Greenhouse varieties or otherwise agreed)
Fertiliser (inorganic or organic)
Nursery set
Insects catcher
Artificial Pollinator
Thermometer and humidity tester
Soil PH Meter
Ropes
Training on site

The total cost for this size of Greenhouse/Nethouse will range from N350,000-N750,000 depending on your requirements.

Smaller sizes can go for as low as N200,000.
Am interested in that your greenhouse! wwhere do you stay, I stays in abuja Nigeria! Can you build for people in abuja.

2 Likes

Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by rafeeq4998: 5:39pm On Oct 10, 2016
Hello, Saw your ads. A quick one, where can I get the net and polythene covers for the green house. I need some. Do respond
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Healthilyea: 7:36am On Mar 05, 2017
rafeeq4998:
Hello, Saw your ads. A quick one, where can I get the net and polythene covers for the green house. I need some. Do respond

https://www.nairaland.com/3663714/200-micron-woven-greenhouse-film
For greenhouse film and insect net.
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Horus(m): 6:44am On Mar 30, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSzORUQERZ0

Green House farming in Nigeria
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by jaygiant(m): 4:40pm On May 23, 2017
50,000kg of Greenhouse tomatoes for sale in abuja and north central states. Anyone interested Contact me by sending a message or by calling 08062805569.

Mail to Emmanuel.Gomina@live.com - prices are reasonable than current market peg.
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Pauling: 6:59am On Jan 19, 2018
Need An Agronomist To Work With U,, 1yr Inside Kit Experience. Ability To Install Kit. Call Or Email 08102010369 or paulinthreeplaces@gmail.com
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by get2lanre: 10:09pm On Apr 26, 2019
Kindly be specific about the land size. Is it a plot, an acre or per hectare?
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Mrkellz: 1:01am On Aug 23, 2019
Pls how much is drip kit for 2 plots?
Thats 1800m I think.
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Nobody: 6:24pm On Sep 20, 2019
Mrkellz:
Pls how much is drip kit for 2 plots?
Thats 1800m I think.

Can anyone answer this please
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by imhere: 4:08pm On Nov 20, 2019
Broccoli is a vegetable that loves sun and cool season, for now it is the number one best vegetable in the world. It is rich in vitamins, such as vitamin A and minerals; folic acid, fiber, iron and potassium. Broccoli farming is lucrative because after harvesting the main head it will keep producing smaller side-shoots for several months.

Nigeria is not known for Broccoli farming nor other exotic vegetables such as; Cauliflower, Celery, Beetroth. Yet the consumption is increasing even within the locals and so we are missing plenty money. Broccoli is sold only in few places such as super malls, online stores and foreign fruits and vegetable sellers in big cities; Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt etc.

You can plant broccoli in your backyard garden in a container or go into commercial broccoli farming. It can be done successfully with the guidelines in this post. The most important thing is to know the right variety to cultivate
https://www.enibest.com.ng/all-posts/agriculture/broccoli-farming-in-nigeria-step-by-step-guide/
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Konquest: 10:34pm On Jan 05
innovationafrik:
Hi All, I want to show you how I built my cheap greenhouses here in Nigeria.

A Greenhouse (polyhouse or polytunnel or High/Low tunnel) is a Dome or Square shape structure where crops especially vegetables (Tomato, sweet pepper, strawberry, Broccoli, Cauliflower etc) are planted.

In Tropical Countries like Nigeria, Greenhouses are usually covered with transparent or White polyethylene while sides are wrapped with Nets. They may also be equipped with drip irrigation or rain Guns. With Greenhouses, you can plant all year round under high intensive cultivation.

I have read about Greenhouses having Tomato crops yielding 10-15kg per plant. I have also visited and/or worked on Greenhouses in Europe and Asia recording 11kg per Tomato plant. I have also seen Greenhouse Crops that were ravaged by Bacteria Wilt and Blight, in these cases, the Greenhouse owners recorded huge losses with little or no output.

Now, I will tell you how I built my Greenhouses.
Below are my details for questions/enquiries:

Veggie Grow Limited
Website: dripirrigation.veggiegrow.ng or https://veggiegrow.ng/greenhouse-farming-in-nigeria/
Email:innovationpro001@yahoo.com
Email: sales@veggiegrow.ng
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Konquest: 10:40pm On Jan 05
innovationafrik:
My first thought was to buy Greenhouses off shelf, so I contacted some companies in Nigeria and I realised that they charge as high as N1.1 million to install a small Greenhouse. I also noted that I will spend at least N400,000-500,000 more to get the Greenhouse installed. This means I will have to cough out N1.6 million for a Greenhouse. To be candid, N1.6 million is not too much, you can spend N10 million on the same size of Greenhouse depending on your requirements. However, I was determined, I wasn't going to pay N1.6 million for a Greenhouse. My budget was to build a Greenhouse for N500,000

1 Like

Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Konquest: 10:41pm On Jan 05
innovationafrik:
I assembled a team of Welders, Plumbers, Carpenters and Tailors. I gave the Welder the Greenhouse designs I wanted, after several trial and errors, he got the shape and welded all the Iron Rods together. The Carpenter also managed to put up the wood/timber Greenhouse. I had earlier imported Drip irrigation kits and Rain Guns from India. I imported Hybrid seeds from Kenya and Isreal. The only seeds I imported from the US were Beefstake Tomato and Heat Tolerant Broccoli.
The pictures of the Greenhouses will be attached shortly.
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Konquest: 10:48pm On Jan 05
innovationafrik:
The Greenhouses I set up were actually for demonstration and trial but when the yield was good, I decided to sell the produce. After the construction of the Greenhouses, I employed a Manager and few staff to run it after I had trained them. I had to return to my work and family in Lagos.

Despite the good yield, my workers said they had problems of marketing, since I was not on ground, there was nothing I could do.

A very important thing is that its always better to run your Greenhouses yourself or have a trusted and tested staff. You will have to take your produce to hotels, Eateries and markets around you.

In my opinion, Tomato Greenhouses are the most fragile when it comes to disease management. Blight and Bacteria Wilt has rendered so many Tomato Greenhouses loss making businesses. The good thing is that there are ways to prevent these diseases. I also advise people to grow other crops like Sweet Pepper, Cucumber, Strawberry etc if they know how to market them.
I will talk more about Greenhouse challenges later.
Re: How To Set Up A Cheap Greenhouse by Konquest: 10:50pm On Jan 05
innovationafrik:
What is this fantasy about drip irrigation? Drip irrigation allows you to send water to the roots of your plants with great precision. Plants make use of water more efficiently when they get it through their roots.

Let's take this example. A man who is dehydrated and needs water urgently, which is more efficient, pouring water on his head or getting water into his veins? Veins of course, this also applies to plants and that's what drip irrigation does.

With drip irrigation, you can reduce labour hours needed and cost of fertilisation. A turning of a tap can irrigate hectares of land all at once and you use 40-70 percent less water (ain't you saving the Earth). You can also mix your fertiliser and other nutrition in the tank and pass it to the roots of the plants through drip irrigation, you must be trained to do this in order not to kill your plants, its called Fertigation. With fertigation, you will use less fertilisers.

Because drip irrigation does not splash water on the crops, you will greatly reduce Fungi infections and the Bees will not be disturbed.

Do you have small or large plantation of Plantains, Banana, vegetables, Cocoa, Cashew etc, I can install drip irrigation for you at a very low cost, with fertigation you may get over 20 percent more yield.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Cashew Nuts Price Update! / Pictorial Details Of A Poultry Farm Project In Lagos State / Agriculture Practices In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.